Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Minimum pay rates abolished for trades men

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

I recall coming across this previously, the upshot being that many small-contractors outside of Dublin wouldn't be earning the hourly 'minimums' themselves, let alone any lads they had employed. So many simply simply ignored the rates directive alltogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

I recall coming across this previously, the upshot being that many small-contractors outside of Dublin wouldn't be earning the hourly 'minimums' themselves, let alone any lads they had employed. So many simply simply ignored the rates directive alltogether.

Yea, a lot of them ignore the rate and the pension contributions, but this leaves workers with no leg to stand on.

When small companies start pricing jobs now there is no minimum rate it will start a race to the bottom of undercutting each other.

A lot of newly qualified lads will be on a plane as soon as they can and the number of new apprentices each year will plummet, why work and study for 4 years when you could work in Aldi for the same money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

She is a terrible human.

Having said that, why was there an objection - was the minimum rate considered too high for many contractors? I do think there should be minimum rates for skilled tradesmen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If tradesmen are being badly paid in this country I must confess I hadn't noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Yea, a lot of them ignore the rate and the pension contributions, but this leaves workers with no leg to stand on.

When small companies start pricing jobs now there is no minimum rate it will start a race to the bottom of undercutting each other.

A lot of newly qualified lads will be on a plane as soon as they can and the number of new apprentices each year will plummet, why work and study for 4 years when you could work in Aldi for the same money.

Like the Irish electricians who scabbed the electricians strike in Berlin in the 90s

Edgware wrote: »
    Like the Irish electricians who scabbed the electricians strike in Berlin in the 90s

I don't think Berlin has anything to do with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

A major issue in the electrical contracting business was contractors from outside the jurisdiction setting up companies,pricing low on two or three jobs ,when the jobs were finished they would dissolve the company ,not pay revenue or pension entitlements and then start another company and do it all over again

brisan wrote: »
    A major issue in the electrical contracting business was contractors from outside the jurisdiction setting up companies,pricing low on two or three jobs ,when the jobs were finished they would dissolve the company ,not pay revenue or pension entitlements and then start another company and do it all over again

It's that crews coming down from the north your referring to?
    T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

It's that crews coming down from the north your referring to?
    T
    Careful now!

• Advertisement
Advertisement