Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

camelia not looking well

Options
  • 25-06-2020 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

hi !

My camelia plant is not doing well... it is suddenly losing the leaves, which seem to be infected by some disease.

There are a couple of azalea plants next to the camelia who don't look in perfect health either.

I attach a couple of pics. Any help would be so appreciated!

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

mikelata wrote: »
    hi !

My camelia plant is not doing well... it is suddenly losing the leaves, which seem to be infected by some disease.

There are a couple of azalea plants next to the camelia who don't look in perfect health either.

I attach a couple of pics. Any help would be so appreciated!

thanks!

One of my hydrangeas went the same way. I think they are from the same family. However, on reading up I've come to the conclusion in my situation anywayvthat perhaps it's had too much rain over the last week down here in the West.

As it was described on one gardening forum, 'hydrangeas like water but they don't like getting their feet too wet'.

There is some new growth on mine so I removed all of the dead leaves and I'm hoping for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭mikelata

Fann Linn wrote: »
    One of my hydrangeas went the same way. I think they are from the same family. However, on reading up I've come to the conclusion in my situation anywayvthat perhaps it's had too much rain over the last week down here in the West.

As it was described on one gardening forum, 'hydrangeas like water but they don't like getting their feet too wet'.

There is some new growth on mine so I removed all of the dead leaves and I'm hoping for the best.

I went to a garden centre yesterday and asked about it. He said that camellias and azaleas are acidic soil loving plants, which might be the problem here...

I remember reading about that when i planted them but i did not improve the soil accordingly... another lesson learned...

He advised to use and iron fertiliser ... I applied it today... if I see any progress i will let you know :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Looks like wrong soil could be the problem. The iron will help. You can use the old leafs from it as a mulch too, they will help condition the soil. (This wont happen quickly)

Give it a prune too. Take away any branches that are really bad. This will take a bit of pressure off it too. I've had to rescue a few of mine over the years, I to made the wrong soil mistake. :)

Actually looking at the azealia i think rain hasn't helped. I always take the old flowers off the plant, the rain causes them to turn to slim and this can cause mold on the leaves, especially after the month we've had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭mikelata

Actually looking at the azealia i think rain hasn't helped. I always take the old flowers off the plant, the rain causes them to turn to slim and this can cause mold on the leaves, especially after the month we've had.

thanks for your help. A bit of food and pruning sounds like a good idea. cheers

Advertisement