Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Covid a second time. So much for Antibodies?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Protective immune responses that build up during a SARS-CoV-2 infection may weaken just two to three months later—particularly if the infection didn’t come with any symptoms, a new study suggests.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/06/immunity-to-covid-19-may-wane-just-2-3-months-after-infection-study-suggests/

Further reading https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0965-6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Vaccine or bust?
    Could mean that a vaccine will also not be very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I 100% believe somebody posting on Instagram that she has caught it twice.... 100%
    Instagram types are not known for seeking attention at all

Why is that?

mloc123 wrote: »
    I 100% believe somebody posting on Instagram that she has caught it twice.... 100%
    Instagram types are not known for seeking attention at all

Jaysus

It's the New York Post, I'm sure they did a little bit of fact checking

She's also far from the first to get it twice

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/health/2020/06/24/woman-tests-positive-for-covid-19-twice-nr-baldwin-intv-vpx.cnn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Jaysus

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/health/2020/06/24/woman-tests-positive-for-covid-19-twice-nr-baldwin-intv-vpx.cnn

They literally quote her Instagram post as the source...

Why is that?
    Because many vaccines are designed to stimulate the immune system in a way similar to catching the virus. Some produce a mild form of the disease for example. But if "So much for antibodies!" as you say then this may not bode well for the development of a vaccine with lasting effect.

Not an expert so I stand to be corrected.

mloc123 wrote: »
    They literally quote her Instagram post as the source...

Why would someone working on TV for a publicly traded company lie about something so serious when said company recently tested loads of their staff?

This company had several staffers test positive

This company is based in Florida, a place riddled with it

And - her and this company aside - what about the others who got it twice?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I don't think the New York Post is seen particularly highly - I get the impression it's more of a tabloid, as opposed to the New York Times. That often leaders to weaker investigative journalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Springy Turf

The New York Post is a Murdoch owned celebrity rag. I doubt they are too worried about facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I believe Oxford University said their vaccine should last about a year. So booster shots would be required after that.

I believe Oxford University said their vaccine should last about a year. So booster shots would be required after that.
    Well I would hope they are correct, but if we don't know in advance how long natural Covid-19 immunity might last, how would the team at Oxford know in advance how long their vaccine will work? What assumptions are they making in their estimate?

If it turned out that natural immunity from the virus only lasts a couple of months which is not yet fully fact, then this may have an impact on the Oxford team's estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Headline the other day warning Asians about the euro strain..

WARNING! D614G Mutation Coronavirus Strains From Europe Could Render Those Recovered From Earlier Strains Defenseless

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.20.161323v1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Well I would hope they are correct, but if we don't know in advance how long natural Covid-19 immunity might last, how would the team at Oxford know in advance how long their vaccine will work? What assumptions are they making in their estimate?

If it turned out that natural immunity from the virus only lasts a couple of months which is not yet fully fact, then this may have an impact on the Oxford team's estimate.

They are the experts. I would imagine they know what they are doing.

I believe the amount of antibodies their vaccine is meant to produce is significant compared to someone who might be asymptotic or only has a mild illness due to Covid. But those antibodies will still fade over time.

Headline the other day warning Asians about the euro strain..

WARNING! D614G Mutation Coronavirus Strains From Europe Could Render Those Recovered From Earlier Strains Defenseless

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.20.161323v1

So much clickbait with every single website these days. I can barely find exceptions to it online anymore

It's a clown show

They are the experts. I would imagine they know what they are doing.

I believe the amount of antibodies their vaccine is meant to produce is significant compared to someone who might be asymptotic or only has a mild illness due to Covid. But those antibodies will still fade over time.
    I hope you are correct and that whatever vaccine is produced confers a lasting immunity.

But even when experts of world renown make estimates, they are based on what is known at the time and the rest is (hopefully stated) assumptions. So the estimate might be based on the assumption that a fairly long lasting immunity is gained through catching the virus. As new information comes in the estimates are adjusted.

I would still maintain that long lasting immunity from the virus itself bodes well for the development of a vaccine with long lasting immunity.

I would also suggest that multiple strains of the virus - which could be the cause of repeat infections - will also make development of a vaccine harder.

Again, not an expert and open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Jaysus

You know that's New York's version of The Sun so fact checking wouldn't be a thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

If people could get it twice I'm fairly sure there'd be a more credible source for this than a wrestling announcer.

NDWC wrote: »
    If people could get it twice I'm fairly sure there'd be a more credible source for this than a wrestling announcer.

I've linked another example

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

If you can get this twice, would that mean it wouldn't lie dormant to reactivate in the future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

If you can get this twice, would that mean it wouldn't lie dormant to reactivate in the future?

In your case anythings possible

You can get chickenpox more than once,but most people dont

Could be something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

You can get chickenpox more than once,but most people dont

Could be something similar?

Good point. And you can get a chicken pox vaccine, which you get once (well 2 doses) and it's a once off vaccine, about 90% effective I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This type of claim goes way back to China in February or March where they found something similar. They blamed the tests.

Anyone with a confirmed case?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Anyone with a confirmed case?
    A second infection? Don't believe so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

In your case anythings possible

What exactly do you mean by your comment?

Just look at your username and post history for all the detail you need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Its more likely to be a testing issue, but even if a tiny amount of people dont get anti-bodies it doesnt mean we all don't.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This has been discussed numerous times over the past 5 months or so. No-one knows enough about this virus to understand how it evolves, or what immunity, if any, infection offers

Advertisement