Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Covid a second time. So much for Antibodies?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,252 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I was sure there was already talk of Italy and China carriers getting twice

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I was sure there was already talk of Italy and China carriers getting twice

Yes, along with people who understand pandemics suggesting it's not clear if the relevant people had ever been completely cured in the first place. Very much "old news"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Talisman

My niece had the virus in April. As a requirement for a job she took in May, she had to have an antibody test. The medical technician that administered the test told her that after 6 weeks the antibody levels drop off dramatically so the test they were using is only effective during that period.

I'm not a medical expert but if the antibodies are no longer detectable it stands to reason that you are no longer immune to infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Talisman wrote: »
    My niece had the virus in April. As a requirement for a job she took in May, she had to have an antibody test. The medical technician that administered the test told her that after 6 weeks the antibody levels drop off dramatically so the test they were using is only effective during that period.

I'm not a medical expert but if the antibodies are no longer detectable it stands to reason that you are no longer immune to infection.

Your T Cells have memory and can quickly reproduce an immune response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

There is no hard evidence of reinfection. There are plenty of anecdotal stories but they are exactly that. Anecdotes. They are not evidence of anything and can usually be explained by false positives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Jaysus

It's the New York Post, I'm sure they did a little bit of fact checking

She's also far from the first to get it twice

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/health/2020/06/24/woman-tests-positive-for-covid-19-twice-nr-baldwin-intv-vpx.cnn
    Lol,
    The NY Post, is not the New York Times in the same way that the Washington Times is not the same as the Washington Post

The NYPost is a a right wing tabloid rag, as is the Washington Times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I think if there was re-infection we would have at least a considerable number of verified accounts of it having occurred in hotspots like New York, London, Italy, Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Talisman wrote: »

Not really, the test itself is the problem.
    If a sensitive enough test is used the antibodies get detected 8+ weeks after.
    The problem is that there is a big difference in AB titers depending on disease severity. More severe disease, more antibodies in serum.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/10/20-2211_article

On the other hand, the T cell response is inveresely correlated with disease severity:

https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-35331/v1

T cells kick in well before antibodies get produced, so if they did the job well there would be a lesser need for the body to produce a high volume of antibodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

A lot of people who are testing positive a second time seems to be issue with the test the 1st time

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Advertisement