Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking to skip a loan repayment

• 25-06-2020 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I took out a credit union loan to finance studies. As well as keeping up the payments, I've sent money to the credit union whenever I could. This has placed me a few payments ahead.

I was laid off work temporarily in March, but I've been asked to return full-time from next week. I'm delighted about this but it means that my finances will be tight next month. I changed from being paid monthly to receiving the pandemic payment weekly, and now I won't be paid until the end of July.

In this situation, is it acceptable to ask the credit union to skip a monthly direct debit? It wouldn't put my loan account into arrears.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If you are ahead of the payment schedule then just pen then a letter along the lines of your text and ask then not to run the DD as if there are not sufficient funds you may get hit with a 10 or 12 euro fee

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭pillphil

Shouldn't be a problem, I've done it before with credit union loans. Just call them before it gets too close to the next payment date to cancel the payment.

Advertisement