Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Servcie mobility scheme

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,366 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Get your name down the first day you start in the job. In 2 years you'll have an option!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 postmetotheoffice

Thanks all 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lynnington3

Definitely put your name down, I put my name down after a year, I should have put it down straight away. You will keep moving up the lists, you just won’t get offered a move until 2 years are up but by then you could be almost at the top of the lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

As others have said, put your name down immediately, always keep your options open. If you're worried about your managers etc. knowing you're on the list, don't worry about that, because they can't view it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Kirbi

@billyhead

Sorry, my phone isn't letting me quote you properly!

Re satellite town's you're right in principle - for zones where there are STs, you apply for the zone and add on the ST on the system (although Ennis definitely isn't one of them!) However, there's a few other things to keep in mind.

* There are very few STs, and they are defined as such because of their location (they're usually pretty far from the core towns in the zone). The list of STs is easier to view on PER's "List of organisations per zone", which you'll find in the docs on their webpage for mobility. All other towns in the zone are "Core Towns", and can't be opted out of (rules for zone 46 notwithstanding).

* Most STs are small, and therefore have fewer positions. Some might only have a single CO position in the org if it's AGS - and of course, there's usually someone in it already. A big exception to this is Legal Aid Board in Caherciveen, Zone 44 - I think it's their HQ.

* The tech can't quite handle STs - it will require you to apply for the main zone as well, but the scheme doesn't. The work-around for this is covered in number 23 on the FAQ doc (PER webpage also). Basically, you just email your HR about it if you get an offer for the main zone; any non-ST applications in the zone will be cancelled though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Itchyfeet89

Hi, is there any way of reverting back to previous Department after a Mobility move? I recently moved Depts to be closer to home but I don't think I will stick 2 years in my new Dept for a multitude of reasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

Question 106 of https://hr.per.gov.ie/en/publications/faqs/

"106.      Will my move be permanent or temporary?

Successful applicants will move to a new organisation on a permanent basis and there is no entitlement for applicants to return to their previous role/organisation."

I don't know what to do so. Any advice? When I enquired with the HR of the new Department regarding the job description, I was not provided with complete truth about the role itself or the hours etc involved on a daily basis. I can see this affecting my mental health and overall wellbeing over the next few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

It's states no entitlement...that doesn't mean it's not possible. I'd contact your old manger & local HR to see if there is any route back to where you were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭billyhead

In relation to your new job do you need to work unsocial hours? Do you have to work weekends etc or do overtime? With regards to the job itself is it just that you don't have the knowledge. This should be resolved via training and experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bobby2004

Is there any way of finding out if you are the next available candidate for a location? I emailed mobility@nsso.gov.ie, but they just gave me a generic reply with my current position and info that i already had. They did include 2 email addresses to the HR sections in the department's in my preferred location, but I never got a reply from either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭CZ 453

I have heard of people reverting to their old departments having failed probation in their new department. I'd check with the union to see what they can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭CZ 453

I don't think there is an accurate way of doing this. People change their minds and hit the hold button everyday. If they told you you are next as number 23 today...numbers 1-22 could press unhold tomorrow and you'd be number 23 in real terms again. It'd leave the mobility crowd open then to all sorts of complaints.

People are working very late at night at home remotely until around 11pm and also at weekends without getting overtime or time in lieu.

People are working very late at night until around 11pm at home and also at weekends. No overtime or time in lieu.

Thats for promoted positions. For mobility no probation applies.

So the units short staffed? Is that not being addressed by the head of the unit i.e. looking for more human resources?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

People should stop working late. Stop accepting it.

Agree. Why don't they speak up and get the union involved if they have to.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know how long mobility is taking within Dublin at the moment (zone 46)? I've heard mixed reports, and presume it depends on individual departments, etc. Any rule of thumb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Your contract says 35 hours. They can't do you for working that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Unfortunately that seems to be the way things have gone since wfh came in. My department is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 onlydaughter30

Hi All, I am new to this thread. I am a quarter ways into HEO (Probation) my new department is very unfriendly...not what I am used to. I tend to be generally easy going... I applied for mobility immediately. Does anyone know typically how long it is taking at present? like what are the chances I will get a mobility offer after my two years are up... or shortly thereafter... just to note I am outside of Dublin area ... and applying for even more regional areas... Any advice would help? Its getting me down and I am tempted to revert to EO and try get back to my old department which I loved...but i worked so hard to get my promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bobby2004

Suppose it depends on what location and department you're looking to move to. Some mobility lists run at a fairly steady pace, others can crawl along and you could be waiting years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Suimiuil1

Hello. I'm wondering does anyone have any idea about which departments have work from home options and which don't? I know it's not a hard and fast rule. Just if anyone has any experience of their own departments. I'm in one which is full time work in the office as it's public facing. I would like some hybrid options to narrow down for mobility. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Tedda2016

Not sure if anyone can answer this, but if an advertised mobility position is not filled, does the vacant position automatically go to an open/ interdepartmental panel to be filled? If so, how long would that process take for PAS to process? Or is the vacant position filled via an internal panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭APparently

Have a look at the last page or two from this thread. There was a poll a few weeks ago of the different departments and their blended working policies.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058196705/civil-service-post-lockdown-blended-working#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lilt

I'm at the beginning of the moving journey and am a bit confused. Is there a difference in mobility, redeployment and decentralisation in terms of what forms you need to fill out or are all the schemes pulled from the same wait lists? Is the NSSO the best place to ask for clarification on a move outside your current zone? Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Kirbi

As far as I know, Mobility is the only employee-trigger movement process in the CS.

Redeployment is triggered by an organisation due to larger decisions. For example, if an office was being shut down, its staff would be redeployed.

Decentralisation is an old mechanism that isn't in place anymore.

The NSSO mobility team are a good source of information about it, assuming you're a customer of theirs (most civil servants are).

Advertisement