Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MK4 Golf 1.4 programming a fob - can it be done?

Options
  • 25-06-2020 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

I picked up a 2003 MK4 Golf 1.4 last week just as a runaround car

The main issue is the back door on the drivers side won't open from inside or out, so I need to get this sorted. Pain in the ass, but seems to be quite common and also seems to be a pain to sort.

My next issue is the car came with 1 key, just a regular key, not a fob.

On the 2nd day, I was trying the key back and forth (gently) in the drivers door, to see if maybe I could get the back door to open by applying pressure on the inside handle of the rear door, whilst unlocking the whole car. Anyway, the key became stuck in the drivers door, and eventually, after maybe 15 minutes of constant wiggling, I got the key out.

I am now afraid to lock or unlock the car using the key in the drivers door, so I am doing so with the front passenger door as I'm guessing the internals of the drivers door is on its last legs.

What I want to do, if it's possible, is pick up an old key fob that will work with a MK4, from a scrapyard, someone breaking a car etc and using VCDS and my own key in the ignition, programme a used fob from an old car, to unlock or lock the car using the fob and only use the key in the ignition.

Surely somebody familiar with older VAG cars and keys etc can tell me if this is possible?

Many thanks

The key I currently have is like the one pictured below. It's just a simple blade type key

VW-Golf-MK4-MK5-Spare-Key-Blank-Key.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭mk7r

It's possible yes but I would go the whole hog and get a new blade cut, pull the skc and code it to start the car too so you have 2 keys? (Vcds is not capable of this bit though) only think to be sure of it you get a key with the same security version, the MK4 had 2 and 3 depending on year

Advertisement