Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

GiftofGab wrote: »
    After that showing yesterday Utd could finish behind all of Chelsea, Arsenal, Leicester, Everton and even a few others. The club is in a serious downward spiral. Complete disarray from top to the bottom.

Long may it continue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

we've accumulated 196 points in the league the last two years and this is the first time i've thought we're the best team in the league
    it was the Spurs game in January 2020 when I thought we might win the PL
    now it's today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think we should all chill!

Great day though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Only caught the last few sentences when I got in the van earlier but did I hear Cunningham on off the ball questioning Thiago and saying he wouldn't have him in his Liverpool starting 11? (got very little but I took it to mean going forward, not just right now)

I heard it. He really outdid himself for stupid today, and he has a fairly high bar for being able to be stupid.

He said that Bayern got rid of him, they didnt want him as he's not good enough. Said that Thiago doesn't get in their first 11, only when Kimmich is unavailable. (Despite both starting the champions league final, and both making the UEFA champions league best squad).

We went on to say that he can't play defensive mid. And he'll only be a bench player for Liverpool if everyone is fit. Said he can't defend. Maybe he can play a more attacking role in front of the defensive midfielder.

And he talks with such conviction and apparent knowledge, if you didn't have a clue he'd be quite persuasive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/1307772886644654081?s=19

Something doesn't add up here.

Klopp has 120 wins in 184 league matches according to transfer makt.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jurgen-klopp/leistungsdatenDetail/trainer/118/plus/0?saison_id=&verein_id=&liga=&wettbewerb_id=GB1&trainer_id=

Edit: It was myself that was mistaken. Key word in that tweet was British.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Charlie19 wrote: »

I presume Klopp is one of the other 22 managers then?

Charlie19 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/1307772886644654081?s=19

Something doesn't add up here.

Klopp has 120 wins in 184 league matches according to transfer makt.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jurgen-klopp/leistungsdatenDetail/trainer/118/plus/0?saison_id=&verein_id=&liga=&wettbewerb_id=GB1&trainer_id=

Edit: It was myself that was mistaken. Key word in that tweet was British.

You were confusing me as I was trying to figure out how Klopp figured into the 'British' part haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I presume Klopp is one of the other 22 managers then?

I should've read the stat properly before jumping in. I think it's time for bed:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

He said that Bayern got rid of him, they didnt want him as he's not good enough. Said that Thiago doesn't get in their first 11, only when Kimmich is unavailable. (Despite both starting the champions league final, and both making the UEFA champions league best squad).
    Didi Haman said something similar, yet Thiago player all year in the German league until he got injured, and played 10 of Bayern’s 11 CL games (rested in one of the group games). Bayern made it public that they wanted to keep him.
    You really got to worry about some of the pundits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just announce Gini has signed a new contract now please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I remember after watching the 2018 CL final back a few days after it happened and watching Modric control the midfield thinking to myself “imagine having a player like that at Liverpool, just a class apart from everyone else on the pitch and running the show from midfield”.

We’ve won a Champions League, a World Club Cup and a Premier League title since and have seen plenty of brilliant individual performances throughout that time, but only today watching Thiago ping the ball around for 45 minutes did that thought enter my head again. We do have a player like that now, and yes it’s very early days, but I can’t f**king wait to see more of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Never thought I'd be making a post with SEVEN Fabinho highlights but here we are, and he earned every one of them. Playing away from his best position and he was easily MOTM, Timo Werner's gonna be having nightmares about him all week:

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
    giphy.gifgiphy.gif
    giphy.gifgiphy.gif
    giphy.gif

I'd usually do the goals first but Fab deserves it so here they are now:

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
    giphy.gif

Saw some people saying this was a bad penalty from Jorginho but it's just brilliant work from Alisson. Jorginho hadn't missed one for Chelsea before today and it's this exact technique every time, he's so good at waiting to see where the keeper goes, at baiting them into diving too early and then slotting it away, but Alisson does what every keeper says they'll do and then fails to, he just stands tall and waits to see which direction he goes. The save is made before the shot is taken:

giphy.gif

And to add insult to injury for Jorginho...ouch:

giphy.gif

There's nothing I love more than clips like these, I think we've forced every top 6 team into this exact scenario over the past couple of seasons, our press just forcing them into sheer panic right from the goal kick:

giphy.gif

There were plenty of little Thiago moments I could show but I really loved this one, 89th minute, 2-0 up, he's only just joined, and look how he celebrates making a tackle in the middle of the park:

giphy.gif

(also ignore the post time i'm up watching american sports :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Osmosis gif alert notification on my phone woke me

The James Milner seal of approval not much more you can ask for on your debut playing beside him.
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

First goal was class:

Mane to Thiago to Keita to Trent to Firmino to Salah back to Firmino to Mane and goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I suppose buying werner when you already have fabinho would be like buying Superman when you have loads of kryponite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's amazing how the media seem to view him as a top manager despite having done nothing.

He's golden boy Frank Lampard.

Also, Frank picked a fight with Liverpool and Klopp last season at Anfield. The media love that sort of shít. Unfortunately Klopp also entertained it, which fed it. It means the media can paint them as rivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

SlickRic wrote: »
    He's golden boy Frank Lampard.

Also, Frank picked a fight with Liverpool and Klopp last season at Anfield. The media love that sort of shít. Unfortunately Klopp also entertained it, which fed it. It means the media can paint them as rivals.

Love to see Klopp give him a bit of the Martin Blank treatment (between 19 seconds and 40 seconds);

I heard it. He really outdid himself for stupid today, and he has a fairly high bar for being able to be stupid.

We went on to say that he can't play defensive mid. And he'll only be a bench player for Liverpool if everyone is fit. Said he can't defend. Maybe he can play a more attacking role in front of the defensive midfielder.

And he talks with such conviction and apparent knowledge, if you didn't have a clue he'd be quite persuasive.

it was only March 2019 that we humbled Bayern Munich in the Allianz stadium leading to Giles and Dunphy stating with great conviction that BM were past it. Thiago was in that side too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Tusky wrote: »
    Fahinho is not a centreback. He can fill in there in emergencies, but he is not a top quality player there. He is a top quality player in the middle of the park though. It would be foolish to start a busy season with him as fourth choice CB. I fully expect us to sign someone before the end of the window. Even someone on a free or for a small fee.

He was excellent yesterday against a top quality forward. I think he will be fine.

Klopp giving out to the bench for cheering and clapping the red card.

https://twitter.com/vidfooty1/status/1307727943519608832?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Cunningham is entertaining to listen to and he says some worthwhile things, but not sure his takes on Liverpool is accurate.

Ex-Ireland captain Kenny Cunningham makes bizarre claim about Fabinho
    Speaking on the OTB AM podcast Cunningham said of Fabinho:

“I’m not totally convinced about him in that holding midfield position, we’re not arguing here if he’s a very good player or not, he is a very good player, but, as a purely defensive midfield player…you’ve got be able to sense danger, slide across the pitch, make tackles, track runners and I don’t think that’s the strongest part of his game.”

Seems like his views on Thiago is also not new.

'HE CAN'T DEFEND!' | KENNY CUNNINGHAM UNCONVINCED BY LFC TARGET THIAGO
    "I don't see Thiago [arriving] at all to be honest. He's a fine player, a wonderful footballer, but the way Liverpool play and how they operate, I don't see how he fits in that Liverpool team whatsoever.

"You could argue he could operate on the base of the midfield three in terms of being that kind of quarterback, but he can't defend. You can't go into that Liverpool team in that holding midfield position and not be able to defend.

"He's not really a number eight Thiago either in terms of playing that advance role higher up the pitch, so that's a no-go for me. The argument is redundant, they don't need him - they have Henderson and Fabinho in that holding midfield position.

"Henderson has the versatility to actually play in that higher up position, that number eight role, alongside Wijnaldum. And then they've got the options of Keita, and Oxlade-Chamberlain. Curtis Jones as well is going to be an option in that area of the pitch going forward, James Milner at a push can come in there.

"As long as the attitude of the players is spot on, as long as Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain are happy to get their heads down, work hard, and look to push for more game time.

"You could see maybe Keita knocking on the manager's door in the summer and saying 'This has been great, absolutely amazing, but I can't see myself getting in the team here, it's so strong in the central midfield area.'

"That's the only situation where I'd envisage Klopp having to spend big in that area of the pitch.

"In terms of personnel I think it's absolutely perfect. I don't see a reason where you need to bring in a player. There are plenty of options there in that area of the pitch.

"As long as that focus is still there, that determination, that kind of ambition to win back-to-back titles and win more trophies and be the best and create a dynasty - as long as Klopp gets a sense of that around the place, for me there's almost no argument in terms of strengthening that squad considerably."

He goes on to suggest Thiago will be similar to Jorginho and in his opinion the better fit for Liverpool would be Kai Havertz.

Now we can snigger at him now, but he is paid to provide his opinion and he wouldn't be brought back if he wasn't forceful in those views. Imagine just having someone who agrees with the presenter all the time? We will have to wait to see how the season pans out as we have both those players in the PL, but looking at his Fabinho opinion I think it is more likely than not that he will be found out again on a Liverpool player.

I don't want to go overboard, but Thiago was good today with one practice with the first team. Not bad if you think about it like that. Maybe another 45 midweek or if not, start on the weekend surely. Also, I guess he was brought in to bring something different to the team as well, like yesterday when we dominate the ball. He gives teams a different player to game plan against, not just Henderson, Gini and Fabinho that you know what they offer. Now they have to change their defensive shape for Thiago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

, Timo Werner's gonna be having nightmares about him all week:

If someone could make a meme of a child being scared of a daddy long legs and photoshop Fabhino and Werner heads on I think it would some it up perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Must be real nice for Jürgen that he's able to poach Bayern's best players now compared to the other way round while he was at Dortmund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Klopp giving out to the bench for cheering and clapping the red card.

https://twitter.com/vidfooty1/status/1307727943519608832?s=20

Whilst a nice sentiment, I doubt it's something that would have been picked up if the stadium was full not would Klopp have made such a point of it if it weren't for the previous from Lampard.

• Advertisement

I also thought we were good not to scream at the ref for only booking Christensen, thought it was very classy. Such a blatant red everyone seemed to accept it. May have been different with the crowd there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Enzokk wrote: »
    Cunningham is entertaining to listen to and he says some worthwhile things, but not sure his takes on Liverpool is accurate.

He goes on to suggest Thiago will be similar to Jorginho and in his opinion the better fit for Liverpool would be Kai Havertz.

Now we can snigger at him now, but he is paid to provide his opinion and he wouldn't be brought back if he wasn't forceful in those views. Imagine just having someone who agrees with the presenter all the time? We will have to wait to see how the season pans out as we have both those players in the PL, but looking at his Fabinho opinion I think it is more likely than not that he will be found out again on a Liverpool player.

I don't want to go overboard, but Thiago was good today with one practice with the first team. Not bad if you think about it like that. Maybe another 45 midweek or if not, start on the weekend surely. Also, I guess he was brought in to bring something different to the team as well, like yesterday when we dominate the ball. He gives teams a different player to game plan against, not just Henderson, Gini and Fabinho that you know what they offer. Now they have to change their defensive shape for Thiago.

The amount of sh1te cunningham spoke this morning on OTB :eek:

Basically he said Werner should have punished Liverpool with his chances and not giving credit to Fab for his display.

He also, he goes to say Thiago will get some game time but he's behind Hendo & Fab as no6 and also Kieta and Jones as no8's :eek:

My god how the fcuk do these guys think they are pundits :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

A near perfect weekend of results ,If City could drop points tonight it would be icing on a beautiful cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Liverpool are the first reigning champions to win away at Chelsea in the Premier League since Manchester United in April 2002, with the Blues unbeaten in 13 such matches since then before today (W7 D6).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

I was thinking, it says a lot about Klopp's faith in Thiago and also Thiago's ability that he went straight into a game after being signed. How long did it take Robertson, Fabinho, and Minamino to get a game after joining the club?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    I was thinking, it says a lot about Klopp's faith in Thiago and also Thiago's ability that he went straight into a game after being signed. How long did it take Robertson, Fabinho, and Minamino to get a game after joining the club?

I think that it helped that Thiago came in from a BM playing a very similar aggressive high press and fast transition.

He hasn't had to build fitness or endurance and came in at fairly peak condition.

Klopp has also shown fantastic man management with some signings in their gradual introduction.
    That level of care when dropping in one of the very best midfielders in the world perhaps isn't needed as much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

None of this needing 3 months training to adjust to klopps tactics and style, Thiago just goes straight in after just meeting the lads and bosses it. That's the effect of adding a world class player.
    He's even better when he's been pressed, hugely effective at breaking the lines as he is spraying the ball around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Punditry is such a funny game. Reading Cunningham's comments above there.
    If some fella was spouting that nonsense in the pub you'd tell him to go away and fúck off.

There's almost no comeback to their shíte talk, they continue unabated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

Excellent display yesterday, totally controlled the game from start to end. Gotta say Fabinho looked like one of the World's best Centre backs yesterday, he was sublime. What a player he is! Could probably play pretty much anywhere on the field. A gem.

Pearce says all incomings are done so no CB, Fabinho will be the 4th choice and Billy the kid the 5th choice.

The focus now will be moves for Rhian Brewster, Xherdan Shaqiri, Marko Grujic, Harry Wilson, Loris Karius, Nathaniel Phillips and Divock Origi.

Squad looks fantastic, no complaints from me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Enzokk wrote: »

I remember talking about this with one of the lads so had a look at my messages there & remembered what a complete and utter sh1t show it was;

John Giles was guilty too.

John Giles was on Off The Ball and he said that Fabinho wouldn’t have it as easy vs City as he did against Villa. He was right in the sense that he’ll not be able to relax on the bench and he’ll actually have to play. Fabinho hadn't even played the game V Villa.

Kenny Cunningham said Fab isn’t up to much either & we had literally never lost a PL game that he’s started in at the time.

They haven't a clue really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

razorblunt wrote: »
    Punditry is such a funny game. Reading Cunningham's comments above there.
    If some fella was spouting that nonsense in the pub you'd tell him to go away and fúck off.

There's almost no comeback to their shíte talk, they continue unabated.

People used to say paper never refuses ink. Nowadays it should be podcasts never refuse scutter.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

rob316 wrote: »
    Pearce says all incomings are done so no CB, Fabinho will be the 4th choice and Billy the kid the 5th choice.

The focus now will be moves for Rhian Brewster, Xherdan Shaqiri, Marko Grujic, Harry Wilson, Loris Karius, Nathaniel Phillips and Divock Origi.

I'd prefer if van Dijk/Fabinho was the first choice partnership tbh. Play Gomez when we need Fab in midfield due to absences or resting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Not a chance all of those will go, even moreso if all of Origi, Brewster, Shaqiri and Wilson went we would be struggling for numbers up top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

ERG89 wrote: »
    Not a chance all of those will go, even moreso if all of Origi, Brewster, Shaqiri and Wilson went we would be struggling for numbers up top.

No we wouldn't.

Mane/Jota----Firmino/Minamino----Salah/Elliot

Jones, Ox and Keita can also play on the wide positions at a push.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

So we spent the following:

Tsimikas 12m
    Thiago 25m
    Jota 45m

82 million there or thereabouts

We sold:

Lovren 11m
    Hoever 10m

The likes of Origi, Brewster, Shaqiri, Grujic and Wilson would have brought in alot of money pre-covid. Probably over 100 million

Our owners have done a terrific job in turning us around as a club and being successful whilst being sustainable. But i'm not entirely comfortable with every purchase having to be covered with a sale to be honest.

Theres the issue of the club running itself sure (spending what you earn), but surely sell to buy every time is taking the mick a bit? What about some of the £££ from the record sponsorship deals or is that money off limits?

Not having a pop, but we should not be having to balance the books by selling players every window. Fair enough, get rid of dead wood yes but when we need to start selling the likes of Brewster and Hoever (clearly due to lack of interest in players that are absolutely surplus to requirements i.e Karius, Wilson, Grujic, maybe Shaqiri) then it becomes a bit of an issue.

Even offloading both Brewster and Origi would be a silly move, we will have alot of games this season if we have ambitions of going deep into all competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Blanco100 wrote: »

Tsimikas 12m
    Thiago 25m
    Jota 45m

We sold:

Lovren 11m
    Hoever 10m

The likes of Origi, Brewster, Shaqiri, Grujic and Wilson would have brought in alot of money pre-covid. Probably over 100 million

Our owners have done a terrific job in turning us around as a club and being successful whilst being sustainable. But i'm not entirely comfortable with every purchase having to be covered with a sale to be honest.

Theres the issue of the club running itself sure (spending what you earn), but surely sell to buy every time is taking the mick a bit? What about some of the £££ from the record sponsorship deals or is that money off limits?

Not having a pop, but we should not be having to balance the books by selling players every window. Fair enough, get rid of dead wood yes but when we need to start selling the likes of Brewster and Hoever (clearly due to lack of interest in players that are absolutely surplus to requirements i.e Karius, Wilson, Grujic, maybe Shaqiri) then it becomes a bit of an issue.

Even offloading both Brewster and Origi would be a silly move, we will have alot of games this season if we have ambitions of going deep into all competitions.

Not so much off limits, but assigned elsewhere I imagine. There's a few other expenses that sponsorship and TV money need to cover - wages, running the academy etc.

Blanco100 wrote: »

Tsimikas 12m
    Thiago 25m
    Jota 45m

We sold:

Lovren 11m
    Hoever 10m

We bought Thiago and Jota before we have sold any of these players though and there is no guarantee we can shift any of them on permanent deals.

Selling unwanted, surplus players isn't the same as selling a key member of the squad to buy more players. That's just good business.

Forward and LB were the glaring holes in the squad, we have filled both those plus the bonus of a world class midfielder. Maybe a CB but there is no further need to spend anymore.

We are we concerned about net investment when the squad is improved again and we have retained all our key players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

Palace Brewster bid is £19m + £6m in add-ons, buy back clause of £37m if Liverpool wish to resign him according to SSN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Palace would be a good place for him to go.

That's a great offer, if he hits his potential £37m to buy him back is nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I can't recall Liverpool F.C.ever buying back a player it had sold apart from Ian Rush. I think it's just a means of massaging the boy's ego. He would not be sold were he a good enough player. Klopp thinks Jota is superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

That's a great offer, if he hits his potential £37m to buy him back is nothing.

Potentially only £12m, when you take away the fee and add ons we could get for him, probably be worth buying him back in a few years just to sell on again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

chicorytip wrote: »
    I can't recall Liverpool F.C.ever buying back a player it had sold apart from Ian Rush. I think it's just a means of massaging the boy's ego. He would not be sold were he a good enough player. Klopp thinks Jota is superior.

Fowler

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement