Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Roy Hodgson is determined to get Brewster in - he first noticed his ability when he was manager at Anfield, and the youngster was in Liverpool’s academy.

Quote on Sky

He joined Liverpool in 2015, Hodgson was manager in 2010 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I think it was yourdeadwright who first mentioned the idea of Brewster being sold this window, he was ridiculed at the time, I guess it's fair to say there is serious legs in this story now.

Can't say I'm bothered in any way, just don't see Brewster being anywhere near the team for a couple of years anyway, if he surprises us and turns into a superstar it's nice to have the option to get him back, doubt we will be activating it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Blanco100 wrote: »

Our owners have done a terrific job in turning us around as a club and being successful whilst being sustainable. But i'm not entirely comfortable with every purchase having to be covered with a sale to be honest.

Theres the issue of the club running itself sure (spending what you earn), but surely sell to buy every time is taking the mick a bit? What about some of the £££ from the record sponsorship deals or is that money off limits?

They have to pay off the Main Stand and other developments associated with it (superstore and work behind the main stand), that's supposed to be hitting £120 million. There's Kirkby and the Anfield Rd. development as well. That's £110 million, probably more with interest and penalties.

We should be receiving full income from the Main Stand development right now with sold out home matches, but we're getting £0. You also have to consider that a lot of the new seats would be going to people who visit Anfield once or twice a year, or indeed once or twice in a lifetime. They spend a lot more than the season ticket holders. All that income is gone.

Balance that with unknown income from ticket sales and fan income in the future (and we have no idea how long it will last) as well as dropping income from TV and prize money and it's better to be safe than sorry right now.

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I remember talking about this with one of the lads so had a look at my messages there & remembered what a complete and utter sh1t show it was;

John Giles was guilty too.

John Giles was on Off The Ball and he said that Fabinho wouldn’t have it as easy vs City as he did against Villa. He was right in the sense that he’ll not be able to relax on the bench and he’ll actually have to play. Fabinho hadn't even played the game V Villa.

Kenny Cunningham said Fab isn’t up to much either & we had literally never lost a PL game that he’s started in at the time.

They haven't a clue really.

Most pundits can count themselves lucky the are in a well paid job. You'll hear the same 'punditry' in the local pub, or at the canteen table at work. Most likely a lot of them got the job through a contact in the media. Or perhaps being a former player was deemed enough qualification for the job. :o

Ritchie Sadler is a decent pundit imo. Never made it big as a player due to injury etc, but has good insights, and seems quite knowledgeable. The likes or Lawro and Redknapp on the other hand :rolleyes:

Johnny Giles seems like a decent skin, but he's an embarressment as a pundit these days. The OTB lads just agree and nod with hiim for the sake of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Brewster is 20 now and needs to start playing regularly and he's not going to get that at Liverpool barring a couple of serious injuries. I'm not sure he's Klopp's type of forward so it does makes some sense to sell him with a buyback clause as who knows maybe the next Liverpool manager will be more keen on him.

If Brewster does well at Palace he'll be worth a lot more than 37M so that buy back price seems very reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

That's a great offer, if he's good enough to buy back that means he was probably good enough to achieve the £6m in bonuses, meaning at the absolute worst we're basically spending £12m to send him on loan for a couple years. This also puts things like the Jota fee into perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

chicorytip wrote: »
    I can't recall Liverpool F.C.ever buying back a player it had sold apart from Ian Rush. I think it's just a means of massaging the boy's ego. He would not be sold were he a good enough player. Klopp thinks Jota is superior.

Jota fits the system better at the moment but plays mainly from the left. Brewster is a striker and an excellent finisher but he needs to improve the other parts of his game before he'd be even considered to replace Bobby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Good aul Palace helping us out in our time of need yet again....still can’t believe the fees they paid for Benteke and Sahko tbh.

Themselves and Bournemouth have bankrolled a lot of our transfer success in recent years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

amber69 wrote: »
    Fowler

free transfer ;)

we let Aurelio go then resigned him as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

amber69 wrote: »
    Fowler

And Staunton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

This is why you develop players, it's nice to dream of every hyped youth player as being the next big thing but in reality the majority of them aren't good enough to make it at Liverpool, but they do serve a purpose in generating transfer fees. If this deal goes through then we will have sold 2 kids with zero top flight minutes between them for more than the price of Thiago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

6 wrote: »
    Most pundits can count themselves lucky the are in a well paid job. You'll hear the same 'punditry' in the local pub, or at the canteen table at work. Most likely a lot of them got the job through a contact in the media. Or perhaps being a former player was deemed enough qualification for the job. :o

Ritchie Sadler is a decent pundit imo. Never made it big as a player due to injury etc, but has good insights, and seems quite knowledgeable. The likes or Lawro and Redknapp on the other hand :rolleyes:

Johnny Giles seems like a decent skin, but he's an embarressment as a pundit these days. The OTB lads just agree and nod with hiim for the sake of it.

True.

'SCORED IN UEFA EUROPEAN U-18 THIRD PLACE PLAY OFF' always came across as a bit of an ironic caption to me, by far the best at his job in the room at any given time but sure let's throw some obscure statistic down from when he played football.

https://twitter.com/DomesticIreland/status/1110660030108495882?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Clause is a good idea...saves us blowing 100 million on a player we already let go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Clause is a good idea...saves us blowing 100 million on a player we already let go.

That would be a fairly humiliating thing to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

So Brewster likely to go, Wilson and Grujic should also go since we signed players in their positions, and Karius surplus for sure.
    Only question is on Shaq IMO.

He cost us the Community Shield, unforgivable imo.

Let's get him out the door ASAP & move on. No clause necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

How's the home Grown quota looking if Brewster and Wilson leave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

He cost us the Community Shield, unforgivable imo.

Let's get him out the door ASAP & move on. No clause necessary.

grow up ffs

grow up ffs

an obvious joke I would have thought!?

relax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

grow up ffs

Whooosh....

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

an obvious joke I would have thought!?

relax.

if you're going to be edgy you need to employ more emotes :)
    it was clearly a joke though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I can't recall Liverpool F.C.ever buying back a player it had sold apart from Ian Rush. I think it's just a means of massaging the boy's ego. He would not be sold were he a good enough player. Klopp thinks Jota is superior.

Bellamy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Bellamy.

Free again. Although that season with him was amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lambert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Rather sell Shaq for 25m and keep Brewster. But we most likely will sell them both, and Wilson, and Karius and Grujic , raising 100m in the process.

How's the home Grown quota looking if Brewster and Wilson leave?

That's your area!

I think this is where we are -

Goalkeepers: Kelleher*, Grabara*
    Defenders: Gomez*, Alexander-Arnold*, Williams*, Phillips
    Midfielders: Henderson, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jones*
    Forwards: Brewster*, Wilson*, Elliott

* is club trained as well

So we'll definitely be keeping Milner and Ox, and Kelleher most likely. But if we lose Grabara, Brewster and Wilson, we will be very tight...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The bright lights of London will be a tempting place for Brewster. Could end up like Ibe though. Needs protecting from himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Dickerty wrote: »
    That's your area!

I think this is where we are -

Goalkeepers: Kelleher*, Grabara*
    Defenders: Gomez*, Alexander-Arnold*, Williams*, Phillips
    Midfielders: Henderson, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jones*
    Forwards: Brewster*, Wilson*, Elliott

* is club trained as well

So we'll definitely be keeping Milner and Ox, and Kelleher most likely. But if we lose Grabara, Brewster and Wilson, we will be very tight...

Would Kelleher count as homegrown?

Lambert.

Lambert was released at 15 not sold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Media reporting that Luis Suarez is off to Atletico Madrid, wouldnt be surprised if we draw them in the CL again this season.

GiftofGab wrote: »
    City already 6 points behind us and playing catch up. Great start to the season.

Plus City have Wolves away tonight, a team that beat them twice in the PL last season. Should be an interesting opener for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

eigrod wrote: »
    And Staunton

Bellamy too, but he may have been a free the second time round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Steve Parish has said that there was no bid made for Brewster by Crystal Palace.

Maybe it's Liverpool fabricating the bid to put pressure on Sheffield United to up their bid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Blanco100 wrote: »
    What about some of the £££ from the record sponsorship deals or is that money off limits?

Not having a pop, but we should not be having to balance the books by selling players every window.

Record sponsorship deals, gate receipts, competition prizes, TV money etc all form part of total annual revenue.

Out of total annual revenue you have to pay wages, operating costs and finance Capital Expenditure which when your business is football means stadiums, training grounds and player acquisitions.

In a self sustaining commercially based club incoming player acquisitions are determined by a combination of available budget + the value of sold players.

If you have €50m to spend but want to push the boat out on a €70m player you need to shift one out for €20m to balance the books and in our case Klopp has to also determine whether the loss of the €20m player is a price worth paying to get in the €70m player.

The above was provided to me by a friend who is an accountant, nothing to do with me..............

.red. wrote: »
    Bellamy too, but he may have been a free the second time round?

free agent, city had cancelled his contract

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Would Kelleher count as homegrown?

Yep - UEFA defines homegrown players as those who, regardless of their nationality, have been trained by their club or by another club in the same national association for at least three years between the age of 15 and 21.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Whilst agreeing selling to buy isn't always an ideal position to be in, the gametime for Origi, Shaq and Brewster looks to be minimal at the moment so there is a certain sense to selling them.

Ideally just shaq, or just shaq and Brewster, Orgi, as the one proven to contribute the most/stay fit would be a useful backup backup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The amount of sh1te cunningham spoke this morning on OTB :eek:

Basically he said Werner should have punished Liverpool with his chances and not giving credit to Fab for his display.

He also, he goes to say Thiago will get some game time but he's behind Hendo & Fab as no6 and also Kieta and Jones as no8's :eek:

My god how the fcuk do these guys think they are pundits :rolleyes:

Just listened to that wow Thiago wouldn’t even get ahead of Jones in the attacking midfield role and he isn’t technically as good as Hendo or Fab and would be 3rd choice number 6.

He will be cup player.

Got to be controversial and get those social media hits.

He called Werner Wenger a number of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Thiago fcuk yourself......

527009.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If he has no future, why bother massaging his ego? Klopp doesn't seem the type for show without substance.

• Advertisement

Jesus Cunningham is actually paid for opinions like that? :eek:

The midfielder who was an integral part of winning the treble with Bayern, is behind Curtis Jones?
    Technically inferior to Henderson?

Just WOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Mahrez, Laporte and Gundogan out for City tonight!

Did someone not say in here recently that the jersey sales were going sh1te for want of a better phrase?

https://twitter.com/dmlynch/status/1308021963902906368?s=20

https://twitter.com/dmlynch/status/1308044101204488192?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Thiiiiiago, Thiago Alcantara.

I have nothing else to add, just wanted to get that out.

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Mahrez, Laporte and Gundogan out for City tonight!

That's a horrible game for City tonight, Nuno has the beating of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

rob316 wrote: »

Wolves were very good to us last season. That 3-2 game was magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

rob316 wrote: »

Should have left Jota there a few more days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Knex* wrote: »
    If he has no future, why bother massaging his ego? Klopp doesn't seem the type for show without substance.

its actually one of the reasons klopp is so well regarded by former players,he cares about them,no way he ditches brewster without bigging him up,heb had huge hopes for him,he will not let him go without strong encouragement imo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement