Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Turtyturd wrote: »
    On the opposite end of the spectrum to Solanke not a great day for the Leicester manager. In a commanding position for 3rd place for most of the season but looking like throwing it away once it becomes expected rather than an overachievement.

He has a battle on his hands to win the next 2 and have a winner takes all game on the last day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Turtyturd wrote: »
    On the opposite end of the spectrum to Solanke not a great day for the Leicester manager. In a commanding position for 3rd place for most of the season but looking like throwing it away once it becomes expected rather than an overachievement.

Schmeichel to blame for obvious reasons but Rodgers' decision to take off Iheanacho for Praet especially when they were on top didn't help either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Kasper really took them from comfortable to crisis in one kick.

That's them fecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    He has a battle on his hands to win the next 2 and have a winner takes all game on the last day.

That doesn’t look remotely likely at the minute. And given the way the defended today man u would be good for a peno at two if they did somehow get that far.
    DVDM93 wrote: »
    Schmeichel to blame for obvious reasons but Rodgers' decision to take off Iheanacho for Praet especially when they were on top didn't help either.

Definitely Schmiechel’s fault. But I think overall it shows that he hasn’t changed since leaving Liverpool. He approaches the game one way, and if it works it’s great but if not he has no idea how to change it, or how to change his approach if the expectations on the team change. It has echoes of the approach to the Chelsea game in 13/14 and not changing even though something different was required. He could get away with it in Scotland because of how poor the league is.

I reckon if he misses out on the CL he’ll be gone by Christmas. The like of Schmiechel and Vardy turned on Ranieri pretty quickly it’ll be no different for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

That must be his first league goal since the one with us? Such a strange weekend for goal scorers this one.

Yup and in 37 appearance's I think they said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

From a footballing on the field point of view great result for us that city will be in the champions league next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

definitely would have helped them domestically and they don't normally need a lot of encouragement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

True, true! I feel we're reaching here! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

So they have to pay 10m but no ban ?

Mmmmmm……….

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Augme wrote: »
    From a footballing on the field point of view great result for us that city will be in the champions league next season.

Not really, they will spend BIG this summer(covid and especially FFP won't mean **** to them), tend to get a sh!te group so are fine until around February and basically didn't risk a player/manager being unsettled if the ban was upheld. The only thing that is a small problem for them now is that Pep is currently out of contract next summer.

• Advertisement

They will probably choke before the final anyway, and will not get past Munich.

I think if they had been banned the winners would have had an * hanging over them. Wouldn't have affected us as we already have them because VAR, Injuries and City handed us the title.
    but seriously I am glad they are still in it for that reason

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

ebbsy wrote: »
    They will probably choke before the final anyway, and will not get past Munich.

Given how teams are currently playing, reckon Munich are about the only team that could beat them.

Given how teams are currently playing, reckon Munich are about the only team that could beat them.

They are my favourites to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

ebbsy wrote: »
    They are my favourites to win it.

City with Aguero would be my favourites. His absence should make it interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Anyone else think the CL should stay as a single legged affair from Quarters onwards, in the host country of the final? It'd be like a little World Cup.

I know there's probably more money in 2 legs as double the amount of games to broadcast (apart from the final), but the one off games would be huge. Quarters this year, played over 4 consecutive nights. Whole thing finished in 11 days.

I think that would hurt us more than those who don't have the same atmosphere or crowds at their home ground

8-10 wrote: »
    City with Aguero would be my favourites. His absence should make it interesting.

City are not the same without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Wheety wrote: »
    Anyone else think the CL should stay as a single legged affair from Quarters onwards, in the host country of the final? It'd be like a little World Cup.

I know there's probably more money in 2 legs as double the amount of games to broadcast (apart from the final), but the one off games would be huge. Quarters this year, played over 4 consecutive nights. Whole thing finished in 11 days.

Nope should be home and away until the final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

I agree that from a footballing point of view, having City in the Champions League next year helps us to defend out title. At the moment I can only see City as our challengers for the Premier League title. All the others have too many questions and too many problem areas to sustain a challenge. At this point you would have to expect a team to need 90+ points to win the league again next season.

Also if City don't win the Champions League next year, I think they will be under huge pressure to prioritize the competition next year with this ruling, the ages of their senior players and Pep's inability to win the competition in recent years. This will play into our hands next season.

Of course the implications for FFP, the law of unintended consequences, we may look back and say that this ruling impacted us significantly but for now there are positives to take imo.

Also I was very impressed with Jones' debut at the weekend, looks very composed, excellent first touch and always busy and positive. I see him as a big upgrade potentially on Lallana next season and hopefully competition to get more out of Keita and Ox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It would be boring without City, they and Liverpool are the only 2 have had their **** together the last few years. Both have pushed each other to standards beyond any premier league side previous. City just don't bother me, its a billionaires plaything.

We wiped the floor this season with a side that is financially doping.

Agree on Jones. He didn't look at all flustered, looked quite at ease in fact. As he gains more experience he should be a great addition to the squad.

Had to laugh when the commentator said (on BEIN I think) "he'll save Liverpool a fortune". Well yes hopefully but that's a happy side effect for me and I think the club, esp Lallana is leaving on a free ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Had to laugh when the commentator said (on BEIN I think) "he'll save Liverpool a fortune". Well yes hopefully but that's a happy side effect for me and I think the club, esp Lallana is leaving on a free ;)

Aside from the money aspect, it's great for the club to have local lads in the team. We're too big a club to do a Bilbao and only use locals, but we need to keep that heartbeat of local lads in there to maintain a connection and provide motivation for success that money cannot buy. Thiago Jones had a fine start and knows how to drift in to the box for chances, shame he couldn't finish the left-footed strike - it would have been a beautiful moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If we beat Arse the points total record is on. They're in last chance saloon when it comes to European football, that need to win helps us, we're better against a side that plays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Came across this on Twitter they are supposed to be the Nike jersey's

EczSaITWsAAxOlU?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

If we beat Arse the points total record is on. They're in last chance saloon when it comes to European football, that need to win helps us, we're better against a side that plays.

What also helps us when we play is facing defenders like Mustafi and Luiz, the 3 amigos should have a field day against these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Came across this on Twitter they are supposed to be the Nike jersey's

EczSaITWsAAxOlU?format=jpg&name=large

Yes,

These are just the Chinese copies Elmo26 has up but they are generally the exact same as what is due on August 1st

I like the look of the black one...

White and blue collars makes no sense at all in terms of Liverpool's livery history

blue? aaaaaaaaaargh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

White and blue collars makes no sense at all in terms of Liverpool's livery history

Is it not the same shade of green as the crest?

https://images.app.goo.gl/dRzbF1PidvULcghf6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

It's definitely meant to be a green. I remember seeing a concept for it knocking about before that does it a bit more justice than the fakes in that image.

The black one looks like a bin liner to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's more teal than blue. I really like the current teal/turquoise range of training gear.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1282673795850018816

That kit looks like a deeper shade. But those kits do look very template-kit design which Nike have been guilty of for a couple of seasons now. I'd be interested in seeing if they do a retro style kit, like this.

https://twitter.com/FCBarcelona/status/1279896273999613954

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Looks like we're extending Lovern's contract. Now, form an orderly queue gentlemen.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Looks like we're extending Lovern's contract. Now, form an orderly queue gentlemen.

I'm guessing that the reason is to give Liverpool a better position when it comes to selling him.

A Lovren with 1 year left on his contract is worth ~€10m
    A Lovren with 2 years left on his contract is worth ~€16m

klose wrote: »
    Is it not the same shade of green as the crest?

https://images.app.goo.gl/dRzbF1PidvULcghf6

Maybe you're right there, I don't think think my eyes are very good on separating shades of at the blue end of spectrum.

FitzShane wrote: »
    I'm guessing that the reason is to give Liverpool a better position when it comes to selling him.

Sounds good unless no one puts in an offer and then we really are stuck with him.

There was a time when he could play for a month or two and he'd be grand.
    Lovren of late just upsets everything and makes everyone around him nervous and gives the opposition a focus and hope.

Please don't sign
    Please don't sign.

Zenit have money don't they? Gazprom and they are there the dominant side in Russia right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

yes the whole idea is to get more cash for him

• Advertisement

It'll be interesting if we wake up tomorrow to the announcement he's signed a new 4 year deal.

Sounds good unless no one puts in an offer and then we really are stuck with him.

There was a time when he could play for a month or two and he'd be grand.
    Lovren of late just upsets everything and makes everyone around him nervous and gives the opposition a focus and hope.

I think there will still be interest in him either way. Roma were interested last summer too. Hindsight talking here but Aston Villa would probably be better off signing him for £15m last summer than some of the dross they purchased.

Even looking at the PL only, I'm sure clubs like Watford, Palace West Ham, Bournemouth could do with him next year if they retain PL survival.

He does have the physical capabilities of still being a good PL CB, it's the mental side that lets him down so often and he just does stupid things in big moments. As you said, there used to be a time where he could be trusted for a month or two and put in some good performances. The 2-1 home win over Leicester this season he was definitely one of our best players, terrific performance. He was also brilliant in the 2018 CL final, and could well have been our best player. But lately, that confidence just is not there in him. It's like he is too gee-d up or something and already trying to make up for a previous mistake instead of playing his natural game.

Maybe when the pressure is off him, with not as much scrutiny, he could be an asset to someone. He'll leave as a PL & CL champion, a lot of bad memories, but also some good ones. Nobody can say they did not celebrate his Dortmund goal extremely wildly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That's not blue Harry. Looks like a greenish colour.

If he moves, I would actually like him to stay in the prem lge, to watch him week in week out and see how he gets on elsewhere.
    Leeds might be a good fit, they like doing things the hard way.

Goes back to the question would we get a better 4th choice CB? I don't think so

rob316 wrote: »
    Goes back to the question would we get a better 4th choice CB? I don't think so

Last year I would agree but not now. He causes carnage when he plays. Fabinho is a better choice 4th CB, that shouldn't really be the case. Bring in a youngster or someone with experience on a free that will be happy to sit pretty much on the bench, injuries not withstanding.

Last year I would agree but not now. He causes carnage when he plays. Fabinho is a better choice 4th CB, that shouldn't really be the case. Bring in a youngster or someone with experience on a free that will be happy to sit pretty much on the bench, injuries not withstanding.

I forgot Fabinho can play there but then that negates our best DM something City had to do this year and it backfired.

Is there any young lad in the academy who could fill the void? Can't remember the last time we produced a decent CB (Coady?and wasnt he a MF for us)

You need someone who is willing to sit on the bench, make 15-20 appearances a season and of half decent quality. I'd keep Lovren if he's willing to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

As a player, I’d rather see Lovren sold this summer as he just doesn’t cut it even as fourth choice centre back these days.

As Salah’s BFF, I’d be happy for him to stay though. There’s no reason to unsettle our star forward just because his mate isn’t as good at football as him.

Lallana is Henderson's best friend and he is leaving.

There is a bit of talk around Ben White, who is supposed to be decent. Young enough, but also playing a lot of football gaining experience.

• Advertisement

Lallana is Henderson's best friend and he is leaving.

There is a bit of talk around Ben White, who is supposed to be decent. Young enough, but also playing a lot of football gaining experience.

White would be an excellent signing but I doubt he would come as 4th choice when he could start for Leeds or Brighton in the PL next season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement