Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20 (Mod Notes Post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

I just don't see how there is a market for DDG. His wages would put him as number 1 earner at every club apart from Barcelona (Messi), Juventus (Ronaldo) and PSG (Neymar - I believe)

Juventus prob would have paid the wages if they got him on a free this summer (which is what I thought was likely to happen) but obviously not now.

If PSG were going to go to that level for a keeper I reckon they splash the cash on Oblak.

Not to the same level, performance wise, but we have another Sanchez problem with DDG if we want to move him on. Very few clubs can afford him and those clubs won't be tripping overthemselves to to do a deal.

IMO, Henderson remains on loan for next season, United stick with DDG and hope the situation is clearer next summer.

Is Henderson out of contract next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

paulbok wrote: »

Doubt it, he signed a new contract last summer.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/dean-henderson-signs-new-man-utd-deal-and-joins-sheff-utd-on-loan

contract to 2022, with an option for a further year. So effectively contract til June 2023.

kowloonkev wrote: »
    He'll play the vast majority. He's an integral part of the team and rarely gets injured. I don't see Grealish being signed to replace Rashford as a starter and I don't see us spending 50m+ on a substitute.

If we sell Pogba then there's a point in signing him and I'd be delighted if that happened, but strongly doubt it.

If we sell Pogba and sign Grealish, we remain weak in midfield for options to change the game. Pereira and Lingard. WOHOOOO.

We need a creative midfielder added to what we have, so that we have options to pick from rather than going with 2 first choice players until they break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

i would love us to try and swap de Gea with Oblak but i think Chelsea will make their move quickly as Lampard said he no longer wants kepa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

Doubt it, he signed a new contract last summer.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/dean-henderson-signs-new-man-utd-deal-and-joins-sheff-utd-on-loan

contract to 2022, with an option for a further year. So effectively contract til June 2023.

Don't know why I thought he was out of contract next year.
    Another loan deal so for him I'd say (unless Romero wants to leave this summer) then I can see the club selling him or DDG depending on how the upcoming season goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

If we sell Pogba and sign Grealish, we remain weak in midfield for options to change the game. Pereira and Lingard. WOHOOOO.

We need a creative midfielder added to what we have, so that we have options to pick from rather than going with 2 first choice players until they break.

Agreed, but Grealish is a first XI signing so theyd have to keep looking for that extra option.

chelsea are interested in signing Henderson out right, but i cant see united selling him to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Agreed, but Grealish is a first XI signing so theyd have to keep looking for that extra option.

Why do you differentiate? We're one injury away from back to what we were in January. Bruno is that important. United need a squad of quality players who can challenge each other. Someone like Grealish should be brought in to challenge the starters, not someone who is happy to be a sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭KH25

We need to enhance the squad with quality players. We don’t really have options on the bench that you’d think would change a game. Squad players are good but we need players capable of slotting into the first 11 without a drop off in quality. Not every player can play every game and injuries will happen.

We can argue exactly what players are the correct fit, but I don’t understand the argument that a player would take the place of x in the first 11. IMO we should be looking for players capable of being in the first 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Why do you differentiate? We're one injury away from back to what we were in January. Bruno is that important. United need a squad of quality players who can challenge each other. Someone like Grealish should be brought in to challenge the starters, not someone who is happy to be a sub.

I'm assuming Sancho is going to happen so I doubt they'll spend the guts of 200m on those two players. I'm not convinced by Sancho to be honest. I am convinced by Grealish in as much as he'll do what is expected. I think he's naturally a central player in the role Pogba tries to play. That's his position as I see it.

I'm sick of us trying to stick central players out on the wing so it's a waste spending the remainder of our budget (after Sancho) on a player who may not even get to play much, and then probably not in his best position, and then expect him to be the same player that he is for Villa when he's playing every minute.

• Advertisement

id say Ole has already given his list of players he wants out of the club

i would say the following are on that list

Sanchez
    Smalling
    Rojo
    Pereira
    Jones
    Lingard
    Dalot

from that list Sancho to replace Sanchez
    Tuanzebe to replace Smalling
    Rojo...deadwood needs no replacing
    Pereira/Lingard Grealish to replace those 2
    Jones... a new CB to replace him
    Dalot.... Fosu Mensah looks to be in ole's thoughts going forward

there is no striker on the list but id say Ole is on the lookout for one

Is there a big difference between United signing Grealish and City signing Mahrez, Mahrez provided depth, not first choice at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭BenK

I'd be delighted with Sancho, Grealish and one other this summer, a defensive midfielder ideally I think—to rotate, compete with, or replace Matic as first choice. If we got those 3 sorted it would be fantastic and would really be a sign that we're going in the right direction.

Based on media reports it looks like there's a strong chance of Sancho happening but after that I think it will really depend on outgoings, of which ideally there would be a good few.

This transfer window is crucial in terms of where our true intent as a club lies—i.e. top 4 or title challengers. Ideally we'd get a cb in too and get rid of Rojo, Smalling and Jones but can't see more than 3 transfers in happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

bangkok wrote: »
    id say Ole has already given his list of players he wants out of the club

i would say the following are on that list

Sanchez
    Smalling
    Rojo
    Pereira
    Jones
    Lingard
    Dalot

from that list Sancho to replace Sanchez
    Tuanzebe to replace Smalling
    Rojo...deadwood needs no replacing
    Pereira/Lingard Grealish to replace those 2
    Jones... a new CB to replace him
    Dalot.... Fosu Mensah looks to be in ole's thoughts going forward

there is no striker on the list but id say Ole is on the lookout for one

Add Mata to that list ad well
    And Ighalo will probably be gone in January so it's obivious why Ole would be looking at both Sancho and Grealish to be signed as well as a Centre half. We will probably stick with Matic, McTom and Fred for another season before we upgrade there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Personally i'd love to see Ole take a scythe to the whole squad and get rid of a lot more of the deadwood but its obvious that that won't happen.

For this summer, he'll look to offload
    Smalling
    Sanchez
    Rojo
    Jones

Guys that its clear are no part of his plans

He should also be getting shot of some of the following - but won't as we'd be threadbare for squad depth
    Mata - passed it at this stage, barely involved post Covid
    Lingard - not good enough and should be gone
    Perreira - was never good enough and shouldn't be close to our team
    Dalot - ole has written him off far to early and it'll be to our detriment.
    Bailly - could raise money and only suits some of Ole's tactics

Guys that could move on
    Romero or Henderson - really depends on the Henderson conundrum, but i don't see him displacing DDG
    Joel Perreira - Another loan move or final sale
    Lee Grant - does he really add anything that one of the younger keepers couldn't add.
    Ighalo - how much time will he get to January. Ole has his front four decided and isn't for changing. If Sancho comes in that's another player ahead so might be time to cut short the loan.

Younger players
    Tahith Chong & James Garner - need loan or time away from the club to develop, haven't had a chance and the players in front of them are blocking route to regular game time
    Axel & TFM - Should get more involved next season but either or both could be sold for the right money as they're not close to first choice in a championship winning team
    Dan James - i would consider a loan move to get him regular games and full 90 minutes or he won't properly develop. Leeds wanted him and maybe they'd take him for a season. If Sancho comes in his game time will drastically reduce.

What we need
    2 & 3rd choice goal keeper situation sorted.
    A centre back - Lindelof is solid but not a first choice. A partner for Harry Maguire who'd compliment him. A game reader like Vidic who's in the right places and not afraid of a tackle. Go after Nathan Ake if he's not signed yet.
    A left back - We need a dynamic up and down the pitch left sided player. Shaw and Williams aren't that. Williams is also a right back playing out of position and always trying to get onto his right foot
    A right sided attacker - Greenwood has been a revelation but its too much pressure on an 18/19 year old to be doing what he has. He needs a rest. Sancho is the obvious candidate and if he comes in it pushes Mata, Perreira and Lingard further out of the squad.
    A central midfielder - someone who can come in get their foot on the ball and help dictate the tempo a bit and allow Pogba to get 15-20 yards further forward. Pogba is playing too deep to influence the game to his abilities. Is Savic from Lazio a guy that could come in and do the Matic role and Pogba role too.
    A striker - a Giroud or Mandzukic type. Something different to pacey direct and guys that can go wide. Ighalo is gone in January and will need replacing

So that would leave a squad something like this

De Gea/ an other/ another

Wan Bissaka/ Williams/ TFM
    Maguire/ Axel
    new signing/ Lindelof/ Bailly
    new signing/ Shaw/ Dalot

Matic/ McTominay/ Garner
    Pogba/ Fred/ Perreira/ New signing

Greenwood/ New signing
    Bruno/ Mata
    Rashford/ James/ Chong

Martial/ Ighalo/ New signing

Looking at that we've a really weak bench with nothing or nobody to come in and change a game up.

If we could get Sancho, Ake and Savic (i know i'm dreaming) that would be three guys who could all come into the first team and improve it but more importantly come in and add real quality depth and impact off the bench if needed.

Is any Club really going to want to take Phil Jones off our hands?

Exactly wrote: »
    Is any Club really going to want to take Phil Jones off our hands?

Ideal for a West ham, Leeds, Everton, Brighton. Proven premier league player. First choice for all of those teams and with proper game time an England international

brinty wrote: »
    Ideal for a West ham, Leeds, Everton, Brighton. Proven premier league player. First choice for all of those teams and with proper game time an England international

Would he stay fit though I mean? Like if fitness wasn't an issue I don't think we would be talking of getting rid of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

Utd scheduled to be in Pot 2 at the moment but winning the EL would put us in Pot 1 for CL, would see us avoid the likes of Bayern, Juve and R. Madrid

• Advertisement

Exactly wrote: »
    Would he stay fit though I mean? Like if fitness wasn't an issue I don't think we would be talking of getting rid of him.

Wouldn't be our problem.

Ultimately he's been at the club since 2010/2011 and rarely completed the season without an injury. Taken millions in wages and not provided a return on investment. There has to be a time where you say enough is enough. we could get something for him now (even 10m) or have to let him go on a free in 1/2 years.

We have players coming through on less money and need to be given a chance rather than rely on a guy who's probably spent more time on our medical treatment table..

a club will take a chance on Jones.

But, as with ALL out players, we have overpaid Jones relative to what he would get at other clubs which makes it difficult to move him on. He would have to take a pay cut elsewhere. Clubs will also use his high wages as a bargaining chip when bidding for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

2 & 3rd choice goal keeper situation sorted.
    A centre back - Lindelof is solid but not a first choice. A partner for Harry Maguire who'd compliment him. A game reader like Vidic who's in the right places and not afraid of a tackle. Go after Nathan Ake if he's not signed yet.

I'd say Lindeloff is the better game reader. Not tackling is not a bad thing.

The best defenders don't need to tackle all the time. Lindeloff gets criticism for not tackling and not being good in the air, but he tracks plays and movement , and is beaten 1v1 far less than Maguire.

Any new Cb needs to be better than both, or be strong enough to come in for one or the other.

A dm like partey or ndidi would vastly improve the defence and help prevent some of the situations Maguire or Lindeloff have been exposed to

Wouldn't be our problem.

The point is surely his injury issues make him unattractive to teams - so it is our problem.

If no one wants him cause they are not convinced he can be relied upon, then we will find it hard to sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

Wouldn't be our problem.

I think the point is it is our problem now, because right now he's contracted to 2023 I believe. With his record he might be hard to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It seems we will have to loan out most of the unwanted a la Smalling, Sanchez, Rojo. Maybe sneak in some kinda clause that triggers an automatic permanent deal if player plays 25 times or something. Few clubs would outright just plump up the money + wages.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    I'd say Lindeloff is the better game reader. Not tackling is not a bad thing.

The best defenders don't need to tackle all the time. Lindeloff gets criticism for not tackling and not being good in the air, but he tracks plays and movement , and is beaten 1v1 far less than Maguire.

Any new Cb needs to be better than both, or be strong enough to come in for one or the other.

A dm like partey or ndidi would vastly improve the defence and help prevent some of the situations Maguire or Lindeloff have been exposed to

That's fair Weepsie. I think he needs to be better though. He was at fault for a couple of goals in the run in by not being first to the ball i.e southampton and chelsea. He gets caught ball watching and that's not good enough.

I agree anyone coming in needs to be better than whats there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

paulbok wrote: »

Poty, still wouldn't be going for him. We've matic, fred and Mct in that position

Poty, still wouldn't be going for him. We've matic, fred and Mct in that position

Dean I assume he meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

lookig forward to the EL matches. Obviously hope we win it. How it impacts prep for next season will be interesting. Seemingly won't be playing in the PL til 30 days after our last EL match, and if we win it that means not playing til around Sep. 27th.

Could be some tough fixtures, if we make Semi or Final, so I reckon while in some respects we'd need to treat it as pre-season, if you go to far in that direction we don't go through - and with the 30 gap after finishing you would also image a week or so break for the players before returning to training again.

if we do make the final (and win it) we would be starting the PL season in week 3 or so, which would put us at a disadvantage in terms of match fitness, and the ability to play friendlies between 12th and 24th (Super Cup) will be limited because leagues will have started back.

I’m worried about their fitness levels. They’ve looked knackered since the Southampton game, limped through the last 3 games. The first XI should have a break now v Lask considering we’re 5-0 up from the first leg. I know people are saying that they had 3 months off during the lockdown but they were still training and they haven’t had a rest mentally since last summer. How do we go about it? If they stay going now and we get to the semi final/final , that’ll take us up to the 16th August at the earliest. The prem league is due to start on the 12th of September, will Uefa give us a 30 day rest period even if we don’t get to the final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

pjohnson wrote: »
    Dean I assume he meant.

my poor attempt at humour, apologies

• Advertisement

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    I’m worried about their fitness levels. They’ve looked knackered since the Southampton game, limped through the last 3 games. The first XI should have a break now v Lask considering we’re 5-0 up from the first leg. I know people are saying that they had 3 months off during the lockdown but they were still training and they haven’t had a rest mentally since last summer. How do we go about it? If they stay going now and we get to the semi final/final , that’ll take us up to the 16th August at the earliest. The prem league is due to start on the 12th of September, will Uefa give us a 30 day rest period even if we don’t get to the final?

i think it is a PL rest, not a Uefa rest.

I would also hope that if we get by LASK that our quarter final shouldn't be too difficult, could play a bit of a weakened team in that. But then we would want/need our first choice ready for a Semi vs (likely) Wolves, Seville or Roma.

Will be a difficult one to manage. Though the same problem the other sides, and the CL sides will have.

I heard the other day that Ole was thinking about allowing the players time off during the season, but that may simply not be possible. I remember Fergie giving Schmeichel time off in december 98, there are probably other examples - but a difficult thing to do.

The players are currently off til Friday, and you would have to think guys like Pogba, Bruno, Rashford, Martial are going to be going light until after the LASK game at least.

Does anyone know what the younger players have been up to? I know they will be doing some fitness work regardless, but have the likes of Chong and Garner been training with the first team (with the youth season abadoned? I know menghi and Laird were added to the squad in the last few weeks, so I reckon they get a run out vs LASK.

I would also hope that if we get by LASK that our quarter final shouldn't be too difficult, could play a bit of a weakened team in that. But then we would want/need our first choice ready for a Semi vs (likely) Wolves, Seville or Roma.

Will be a difficult one to manage. Though the same problem the other sides, and the CL sides will have.

I heard the other day that Ole was thinking about allowing the players time off during the season, but that may simply not be possible. I remember Fergie giving Schmeichel time off in december 98, there are probably other examples - but a difficult thing to do.

The players are currently off til Friday, and you would have to think guys like Pogba, Bruno, Rashford, Martial are going to be going light until after the LASK game at least.

Does anyone know what the younger players have been up to? I know they will be doing some fitness work regardless, but have the likes of Chong and Garner been training with the first team (with the youth season abadoned? I know menghi and Laird were added to the squad in the last few weeks, so I reckon they get a run out vs LASK.
    Chong was in a few of the training pics/videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Is there a big difference between United signing Grealish and City signing Mahrez, Mahrez provided depth, not first choice at the time.

There is a massive difference, Mahrez was the top performing creative player in a title winning side when City bought him.

There is a massive difference in quality between Mahrez and Grealish...

Rock77 wrote: »
    There is a massive difference, Mahrez was the top performing creative player in a title winning side when City bought him.

There is a massive difference in quality between Mahrez and Grealish...

So City buying him as depth for their team is actually a bigger deal than United buying Grealish for the same reason would be? and Mahrez doing it, to be part of a top team, is a bigger deal too because Leicester were a better side than Villa are.

So, why shouldn't United look to do the same as City here, and reinforce their squad with quality rather than actively looking for 'squad-level' players?

So City buying him as depth for their team is actually a bigger deal than United buying Grealish for the same reason would be? and Mahrez doing it, to be part of a top team, is a bigger deal too because Leicester were a better side than Villa are.

So, why shouldn't United look to do the same as City here, and reinforce their squad with quality rather than actively looking for 'squad-level' players?

Sorry Mitch you kinda lost me here... you asked was there a big difference between City buying Mahrez and Utd buying Grealish..

Mahrez is a far superior player to Grealish, that’s really my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Phil Jones is at least 2 stone overweight for Biesla

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

Sorry Mitch you kinda lost me here... you asked was there a big difference between City buying Mahrez and Utd buying Grealish..

Grealish is a more versatile player who can play in 3 positions..I wouldn't class Mahrez as far superior

Have guys seen much of Van De Beek? Maybe he would be a cheaper alternative to Grealish ?

Considering the Euros are due to take place next summer and we’re already starting late, I think it’s going to be pretty hard to give players a rest during the season. They’ll have to get rid of the Carling cup or whatever it’s called now, penalty shootouts instead of replays. Player burn out is gonna be a big issue over the next two years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Robson99 wrote: »
    Grealish is a more versatile player who can play in 3 positions..I wouldn't class Mahrez as far superior

Have guys seen much of Van De Beek? Maybe he would be a cheaper alternative to Grealish ?

3 completely different players.

Mahrez is a former PotY in the PL. Multiple league winner. Grealish had a good season for a relegation team and spent most of it on the deck. He's good and may be able to step up but it's just as likely he'll fail to make the jump.

Van Der Been I'd like to see as it will hopefully lead to the Pogba circus heading elsewhere.

People are saying United can't or shouldn't buy Grealish because it is insane to think you would buy a player of his quality if they aren't going to be first choice 11 automatic players. That you don't get players of that quality to be rotation players.

So I brought up City buying Mahrez. a standout performer, title winner, for one of the better sides in the league, to add depth to their forward line rather than be an immediate automatic first choice player.

So if City think they can go and buy a quality player to add depth and competition, why can't United?

They bought 3 fullbacks for 50+ million. in one summer. and were trying for a 4th.

But according to some on here its insane for United to be looking at spending big to provide competition and options.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    3 completely different players.

Mahrez is a former PotY in the PL. Multiple league winner. Grealish had a good season for a relegation team and spent most of it on the deck. He's good and may be able to step up but it's just as likely he'll fail to make the jump.

Van Der Been I'd like to see as it will hopefully lead to the Pogba circus heading elsewhere.

Can’t see Madrid spending silly money on Pogba this summer, I’d happily take 120m atm but they’re worried more about replacing Benzema, Jovic and Bale atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

People are saying United can't or shouldn't buy Grealish because it is insane to think you would buy a player of his quality if they aren't going to be first choice 11 automatic players. That you don't get players of that quality to be rotation players.

So I brought up City buying Mahrez. a standout performer, title winner, for one of the better sides in the league, to add depth to their forward line rather than be an immediate automatic first choice player.

So if City think they can go and buy a quality player to add depth and competition, why can't United?

They bought 3 fullbacks for 50+ million. in one summer. and were trying for a 4th.

But according to some on here its insane for United to be looking at spending big to provide competition and options.

Massive difference between City & Utd...One has a bottomless pit of money and the another has owners that who are as tight as a ducks arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He has been able to stay fit for periods when playing regularly. Dropping him in for one Europa League game a month isn't going to have him match fit and means his style is more dangerous as he's that bit more off the pace. People used to say Evans couldn't stay fit either, look at him.

I've said before but him and Lingard need to leave for their own goods as there's going to be no changing opinions on them. Useful players to have in a squad but the public tide has turned on them and it's just pure negativity around them. They are decent players and should show that elsewhere before it's too late for them.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Massive difference between City & Utd...One has a bottomless pit of money and the another has owners that who are as tight as a ducks arse

So people on here shouldn't argue for United to be ambitious. Or point out players can be bought for depth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

It will be a bit crap if we are starting our season 3 games behind and likely 9 points off the pace. Builds the pressure already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

I don't think that's necessarily a valid comparison.
    As he said, Mahrez came to City a proven winner. PL title under his belt and was a contender to win POTS too in 2016. Grealish isn't really at the same level.

In some respects Mahrez was an icing on the cake signing for Pep.
    City had restructured the squad hugely the previous year, in 2017. They brought in Laporte, Walker, B. Silva, Mendy, Eduardo.
    They did the essential stuff first. Got rid of a lot of deadwood and aging players and addressed the problem positions - which had to be their top priority.

While we can say United should look to build up the quality of the squad just like City, the reality is we all know Ole will have limited transfer funds this summer. And will have to clear out the "non-contributors" in that squad and trim down the wage bill, just to sign more players.

Grealish at this point just doesn't seem like a priority signing for where we are are in the squad overhaul.
    Certainly not at the sort of prices we are hearing.
    Get more realistic on the valuation Villa (say £40M) and I wouldn't be against it so much.

MattS1 wrote: »
    It will be a bit crap if we are starting our season 3 games behind and likely 9 points off the pace. Builds the pressure already.

yep.

i wonder will it be mandated or offered. could be mandated on a player welfare perspective.

From a club point of view, it would be better to start same time as everyone else. But from a player perspective that will be difficult.

You would expect United to be going til August 16th at least. Would be difficult to provide rest and have players sharp for Sep 12.

Could the club decide to return Sep 19, for example, and just be the one match day behind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I won’t speak for others but I’m just not sure it’s a priority position in terms of what we need and what our budget is. If we were buying 4/5 players to improve squad and first team I’d be ok with it but I don’t see the desperate need for an attacking CM. If Bruno is injured, push Pogba into his position, I don’t remember having as good an alternative to scholes back in the day.

Because Pogba can play in the same role as Bruno, If we lost a player in any position right now, central midfield would not concern me as much as central defence or pretty much any other position. Fred and McTominey are well able to do a job as they showed before the lockdown. The only thing that might make Grealish more desirable is his versitility.

I think we actually need 7/8 quality players to make a decent shot at a title challange. If I had a choice of 5 quality squad additions (who all make our bench significantly stronger) or 2 top quality players , I would prefer a stronger squad. Doesn’t have to be one or the other but I think a lightweight squad will cost us more next season then not having a world class right winger (especially with the condensed fixture list ahead!). I’d rather address squad deficiencies (buy Grealish with 3/4 other solid signings) then one big signing like Sancho. Then next season we make a push for the big signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Arsenal need defenders.

Offer them Jones, Rojo and Smalling in a swap deal for PEA.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

• Advertisement

Ah I see your point, I didn’t see the context of what you were asking..

Still though, it’s ok spending big on back up if you have a bottomless pit of cash and your first 11 is top class.. and also if that back up is top class, like Mahrez was at the time.

It’s not ok to spend big on mediocre players as back up in certain positions especially if you have gaping holes in other positions in your first 11

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement