Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20 (Mod Notes Post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

No, Greenwood is not a winger.

Games we are dominating and creating pressure around the box show the limitations of Greenwood out there.
    Do you reckon he would get even more goal played through the middle ?

Would you see Rashford as winger ?

Personally id see himself and Sancho more inside forwards ?

Greenwood iv no idea not seen enough games, the lads just seems like brilliant footballer ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wages for a start, he's on €25,000 with Watford currently and would probably comment 3/4 times that with a move to a Europe League club. United aren't going to be paying €100k to a sub.

Lingard and Perriera didn't play much of a role in either of those competitions this season.

Eh, that is what lingard is on.

Lingard and Pereira not being trusted to play a part has been a huge issue in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

NO I'll give you Robertson but the, more general point, I was making is that Brooks, Docoure, Sarr, Bemrahma, Cantwell, Buenedia haven't offered anything to suggest that they are better than what is already on the United squad.

Robertson replaced Moreno remember so they were able to take the chance. If you bring in Sarr or Buendia who are they going to replace?

They are young players who will only improve and want play for United

They would be coming in to replace Mata, Pererira, Lingard and James who have proven last season they are not good enough and post lockdown that Ole doesnt trust them enough

My point was the money from those sales and the supposed Grealish fee could be used towards several squad options

Robertson, Mane, Winjaldum, Shaqiri all similar profiles although Mane did look like he was ready for the step up

Do you reckon he would get even more goal played through the middle ?

Would you see Rashford as winger ?

Personally id see himself and Sancho more inside forwards ?

Greenwood iv no idea not seen enough games, the lads just seems like brilliant footballer ,

IMO the bigger impact Greenwood has had is whether we sign another striker. Not a winger. I think United might not look as enviously at Haaland for example.

Rashford seems to be playing as a more creative player (not sure why, its weird) nd dropping deeper on the left to play the ball around and look to create.

Personally I think United should soon be looking to build the attacking plan around getting Greenwood the ball within the width of the 18 yard box. I don't want him hugging the line.

If Sancho is signed, basically any selection from the 4 will be able to rotate and play in a fluid system - which could see Greenwood roam right when Sancho roams left or central, with Rashford moving about, or Martial moving about (depending on how is selected).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Wages for a start, he's on €25,000 with Watford currently and would probably comment 3/4 times that with a move to a Europe League club. United aren't going to be paying €100k to a sub.

Lingard and Perriera didn't play much of a role in either of those competitions this season.

Why would he want 100k the club needs to move away from offering average players huge contracts it's the reason we cant get rid of players for a decent fee and probably why some get comfortable

The club has the opportunity to get rid of deadwood on ridiculous wages and try follow Liverpool who offer reasonable contracts and incentives based on performance

IMO the bigger impact Greenwood has had is whether we sign another striker. Not a winger. I think United might not look as enviously at Haaland for example.

Rashford seems to be playing as a more creative player (not sure why, its weird) nd dropping deeper on the left to play the ball around and look to create.

Personally I think United should soon be looking to build the attacking plan around getting Greenwood the ball within the width of the 18 yard box. I don't want him hugging the line.

If Sancho is signed, basically any selection from the 4 will be able to rotate and play in a fluid system - which could see Greenwood roam right when Sancho roams left or central, with Rashford moving about, or Martial moving about (depending on how is selected).

Its a fantastic 4 any club would want to have , all young and all have goals in them

The only issue mite be Rashford, Martial , Greenwood all wanting to play central but again you lads would have more of a clue about that than me,

I suppose when your winning and scoring lads won't care about there position ,

Its a fantastic 4 any club would want to have , all young and all have goals in them

The only issue mite be Rashford, Martial , Greenwood all wanting to play central but again you lads would have more of a clue about that than me,

Well Rashford seems far more comfortable (and effective) coming from the left than he did centrally.

The only real issue is Martial and Greenwood competing for the central starting spot.

Might be hard to keep them all happy but 3 players into 4 positions over (hopefully) 55+ matches in a season should see plenty of time for all - especially when you have:

Martial and Rashford as options left, Martial and Greenwood as options centre and Sancho and Greenwood as options right. None of the players are confined to one potential starting spot.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Why would he want 100k the club needs to move away from offering average players huge contracts it's the reason we cant get rid of players for a decent fee and probably why some get comfortable

The club has the opportunity to get rid of deadwood on ridiculous wages and try follow Liverpool who offer reasonable contracts and incentives based on performance

Fernandes' reported contract is relatively low, in that respect, for United. maybe a sign of the direction the club wants to go.

Though DDGs contract just a few months before that would show the other side of United...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

Rashford has already said in an interview that he prefers drifting in from the wing like Henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Well Rashford seems far more comfortable (and effective) coming from the left than he did centrally.

The only real issue is Martial and Greenwood competing for the central starting spot.

Might be hard to keep them all happy but 3 players into 4 positions over (hopefully) 55+ matches in a season should see plenty of time for all - especially when you have:

Martial and Rashford as options left, Martial and Greenwood as options centre and Sancho and Greenwood as options right. None of the players are confined to one potential starting spot.

Could we not play Greenwood @ Martial up top and Rashford on the left and Sancho on the right with Bruno @ Pogba behind although that formation might leave the defence exposed.

• Advertisement

billyhead wrote: »
    Could we not play Greenwood @ Martial up top and Rashford on the left and Sancho on the right with Bruno @ Pogba behind although that formation might leave the defence exposed.

No, for the defensive reason.

Would also require playing Sancho and Rashford as conventional wide midfielders, which I don't think is what we want from them either.

I could see the 4 playing like that when we are chasing a match - but not as a starting proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Has Greenwood changed anything in regards the urgency to sign Sancho ?
    Would United be better off spending big on a CB and CM first,

I know in a perfect world all 3 would be great but I know there is plenty of games for all the forwards to get game time,

I just mean in terms of priority do you lads still think RW is no1 ?

The emergence of Greenwood is certainly significant in terms of us signing a Striker and less so a Right Winger.

RW is certainly a priority and has/was the no1 priority for us, however the last few games demonstrated the need for someone like Grealish, as Ole refused to trust his bench and had to play Fernandes and Rashford into the ground. Grealish can play a variety of positions inc, LW and AMC (and possibly CM and RW).

A lot depends on our budget, if we have 200m to spend then RW is no1 target, but if we only have 100m to spend then maybe Grealish and a CB are the two positions we will go for first, and then try get a RW on loan, such as Kingsley Coman.

I think part of the issue with Sancho this summer is that United seem to have a clear run at him.

With the impact of Covid, it seems Madrid and Barcelona aren't hitting the market like they normally would.
    While Liverpool have shown interest, they don't seem in position to spend 100m or so on one player.
    Chelsea look to have gone for Werner and Havertz instead.

If United wait until next summer to try sign him - you potentially have all those clubs back in the mix for him. Which will drive the price up as well as simply being more competition for his signature.

United have wanted him as a long term target for a while now, and if they don't sign him now, they could miss out entirely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

damowill wrote: »

A lot depends on our budget, if we have 200m to spend then RW is no1 target, but if we only have 100m to spend then maybe Grealish and a CB are the two positions we will go for first, and then try get a RW on loan, such as Kingsley Coman.

We've been waiting over a decade for a proper RWer.

Given Sancho's age and profile, I'd rather we just finally get one in and deal with the gaping hole that's been in our squad since Fergie left....

https://twitter.com/UTDRB10/status/1287862626433798146

All Martial's goals this season.

So many top quality strikes. Imagine how many he could get a season if he knocked in some scruffy close range goals too!

Can Smalling or Sanchez play against United in the Europa ?
    There loans aren't extended so does this mean they are back at United as of now ?

Can Smalling or Sanchez play against United in the Europa ?
    There loans aren't extended so does this mean they are back at United as of now ?

If United and Inter/Roma have agreed to it, they can. Uefa doesn't ban it like the PL does.

Seemingly the Sanchez deal goes as far as the Getafe match at least, don't know about Smalling

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

If United and Inter/Roma have agreed to it, they can. Uefa doesn't ban it like the PL does.

Seemingly the Sanchez deal goes as far as the Getafe match at least, don't know about Smalling

I'm pretty sure UEFA goes further and actually bans any agreements that prevent players playing against their parent clubs.

I'm pretty sure UEFA goes further and actually bans any agreements that prevent players playing against their parent clubs.

From what I've read the clubs need to expressly allow it, so if that's t by e case Uefa aren't taking a stance either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm pretty sure I remember Courtois playing against Chelsea when he was at Altelico.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Ole and Martial nominated for manager and player of the month

also, Sheffield United interested in signing Phil Jones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Man Utd are looking for a first team recruitment analyst, any takers? Nice job if you could get it. https://www.manutd.com/en/club/jobs/permanent-and-temporary-opportunities

The emphasis is on the goalkeeping position which is interesting!

ParkRunner wrote: »
    Man Utd are looking for a first team recruitment analyst, any takers? Nice job if you could get it. https://www.manutd.com/en/club/jobs/permanent-and-temporary-opportunities

The emphasis is on the goalkeeping position which is interesting!

they probably already have the positions for defenders, midfielders and attackers already filled

We already have quite a few keepers on the books I would have thought. Probably too many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Anyone take Vertonghan on a free? Left sided centre back that would allow transfer funds to be spent on attacking players. Its a stop gap but good premier league proven player

• Advertisement

Sirsok wrote: »
    Anyone take Vertonghan on a free? Left sided centre back that would allow transfer funds to be spent on attacking players. Its a stop gap but good premier league proven player

no and i doubt he would want to finish his career sitting on the bench, would want a signing on fee, big wages, has no pace and no re sale value and doesnt improve our starting team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Sirsok wrote: »

No reason not too.

As you say a proven premier league player who can read a game well. If we're shipping out Jones, Smalling and Rojo a senior CB would help. Plus you'be losing over 300k a week in wages there so why couldn't we use some of that to pay Vertonghen.

We were lucky neither Maguire or Lindelof were injured at any stage last year as Bailly and Tuanzebe couldn't stay fit for any length of time. A player like Vertonghen wuld help you out there.

Anyone suggesting otherwise is being very remiss of the above luck we had with our first choice centre backs and not having good squad depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,710 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Just read that Inter are interested in signing Sanchez on the BBC.

Lovely bubbly lemon squeezey

Headshot wrote: »
    Just read that Inter are interested in signing Sanchez on the BBC.

Lovely bubbly lemon squeezey

We might have to make s huge payment to get rid of him though. Inter aren't going to pay his weekly wages so unless he takes a pay cut he will be hard to budge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

brinty wrote: »
    No reason not too.

As you say a proven premier league player who can read a game well. If we're shipping out Jones, Smalling and Rojo a senior CB would help. Plus you'be losing over 300k a week in wages there so why couldn't we use some of that to pay Vertonghen.

We were lucky neither Maguire or Lindelof were injured at any stage last year as Bailly and Tuanzebe couldn't stay fit for any length of time. A player like Vertonghen wuld help you out there.

Anyone suggesting otherwise is being very remiss of the above luck we had with our first choice centre backs and not having good squad depth.

Squad depth will be needed at CB for sure. It's mad to think Maguire played every minute of every league game!

But he doesn't fit the profile for Ole imo so don't see this one happening.
    If I think young, hungry, players obsessive about winning which this manager talks about all the time. And then think Vertonghen....who's played very little football since last Xmas and is probably soon winding down to retirement - it just doesn't really fit.

Anyone know what type of wage he's on at Spurs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

We might have to make s huge payment to get rid of him though. Inter aren't going to pay his weekly wages so unless he takes a pay cut he will be hard to budge.

Let him go on a free, they can then pay him the transfer fee in wages and signing on fee.

upamecano will be on the move this summer I reckon - looks a very god prospect at CB, but I think he is right footed.

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Squad depth will be needed at CB for sure. It's mad to think Maguire played every minute of every league game!

If I think young, hungry, players obsessive about winning which this manager talks about all the time. And then think Vertonghen....who's played very little football since last Xmas and is probably soon winding down to retirement - it just doesn't really fit.

I agree with your point but Ole also went out and got Ighalo in January. He wanted Mandzukic last year so there's room for experience if the right players can be got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

PARlance wrote: »
    Ake is left footed. He's also Dutch so he can use both feet.

Maguire is right footed, very right footed and isn't comfortable on his left for a top level player imo, and gets targeted at the highest levels for this. The "better" CB of two right footed CBs generally plays on the left, just because Maguire has played there doesn't mean that can't or shouldn't be changed imo.

Maguire has been a great addition, I think we would be even stronger with him on the right side myself.

Wait. Is that like a freak Dutch genetic thing I wasn't aware of? :D:D

Zeek12 wrote: »

100k a week. If he came to united he would want more but i dont think a player like him will be anywhere on Oles shortlist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

upamecano will be on the move this summer I reckon - looks a very god prospect at CB, but I think he is right footed.

Recently signed a new contract with Leipzig.

Imagine Leipzig are protecting themselves for him being on the move next Summer. This Summer might be too premature unfortunately.

Looks a talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Recently signed a new contract with Leipzig.

Imagine Leipzig are protecting themselves for him being on the move next Summer. This Summer might be too premature unfortunately.

Looks a talent.

Was that confirmed?

And if the rumour was true then there’s a reasonable release fee in there.

A journalist from the Guardian paper is tweeting that we have offered 60 mil euro upfront for Sancho with another 60 mil paid in installments over the few years.

I agree with your point but Ole also went out and got Ighalo in January. He wanted Mandzukic last year so there's room for experience if the right players can be got.

The Ighalo signing was different imo, was very much short term initially. Ole was basically forced into it, he was in a tight spot with Rashford out for months. And the squad already down to the bare bones for forwards - after Sanchez & Lukaku going.

Ighalo is a lifelong Utd fan isn't he? And said he'd do anything to pull on the United jersey.:) Which fits in with Ole's hunger and attitude etc.

Who knows? Not saying I'd definitely be against Vertonghen as backup. Just don't think Ole would go for it. Also he's likely to look for a minimum 2 years contract.
    Which wasn't the case with Ighalo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

A journalist from the Guardian paper is tweeting that we have offered 60 mil euro upfront for Sancho with another 60 mil paid in installments over the few years.

https://twitter.com/DanielHarris/status/1288501749888647171?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1288501749888647171%7Ctwgr%5E&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2F2%2Ftwitter.min.html1288501749888647171

• Advertisement

xtal191 wrote: »

No disrespect intended to you but he's not verified and he's quoting himself...

I mean i could go on twitter and say brinty understands Jadon sancho deal imminent...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I mean i could go on twitter and say brinty understands Jadon sancho deal imminent...

SneakyHandsomeAssassinbug-size_restricted.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Inter have agreed personal terms with Alexis Sanchez, with the contract running until 2023 and a salary which is less than the 12 million he earns at Manchester United. The English club will only sell him for a figure of 15 million euros. (Source: (sportmediaset.mediaset.it))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Jaysus if we get a fee for Alexis Sanchez we’re doing well. What kind of black magic have we performed on Inter to get them to want to give us their money?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Build a statue of Conte outside Old Trafford if they permanently buy Sanchez for that fee

Jesus if they'd give us 20m for Smalling i'd throw in Jones for free and eat jayo26 hat.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

No disrespect intended to you but he's not verified and he's quoting himself...

He's obviously taking the piss with that tweet, but Daniel Harris is always on Newstalk talking about United, has written books about United and produced the Busby doc, so I wouldn't be too bothered by the lack of a blue tick.

Jesus if they'd give us 20m for Smalling i'd throw in Jones for free and eat jayo26 hat.

If the Sanchez story is true. And say we got 15-20M for Smalling...we'd be doing really well.

Sell Lingard too - and then you have a very respectable CB or DM surely sorted $.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Do you, realistically, see any one of them being a Champions League winner?

That has to be the aim. When Klopp was recruiting he was able to identify top talent at mid table clubs and those not challenging for titles like Van Dijk and Robertson, Mane even Wijnaldum. Along with this he identified those with something to prove like Salah, Fabinho and Oxlade Chamberlain.

These players were used to replace the likes of Lovren, Lallana, Clyne, Allen, Sturridge and Mignolet - all mid level talent with a low ceiling in relation to what they could offer.

United are already trying to get rid of some dross mid level talent like Jones, Lingard, Smalling and will have to make a decision on Shaw, James and Dalot in the next season or two. There's no point in signing someone unless the scouts are recommending them and just looking to capitalise on a club getting relegated just puts more pot shots on the wage bill.

The coming crop of academy players looks to be the best in years. Ideally I'd like to see a starting XI in the Europe League as follows, the aim being giving prospects games time:

Pereira/Romero (if they intend on keeping him),

Williams, Tuanzebe, Dalot, Mengi,

Fred
    Garner, McTominay (C)
    Greenwood, Ighalo, James/Chong.

Robertson and wijnaldum had played for relegated clubs. Wijnaldum had only had a decent season too, more was definitely expected.
    Our much vaunted Maguire played in that same hull team as Robertson too.

There's some seasons where I wouldn't give relegated clubs/players a second thought, but this year there's actually quite a few who would improve our bench and some would be viable starters.

Now we'd need a good few players gone too, but picking up say Ake, Cantwell, Sarr while shipping out Rojo, Jones, Peirrera, Lingard, Sanchez, Smalling and possibly Mata, James and Bailey wouldn't be bad business. One if those is very much for the future but the others can certainly come in and give better options. I'd wonder if Wilson would be considered again as a backup striker. I wouldn't want him as a starter, but I think he has enough goal in him that he'd be an option of the bench that before ighalo we just didn't have

It's a lot of upheaval though for one small window though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Surely the Sanchez move this year will mean it'll be along time before we throw money at a player just because they are nearing the
    / are at the end of their contract.

Maybe we'll end up going too far the other way and miss out on some real good options based on a more rigid criteria now in place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement