Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20 (Mod Notes Post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Liam O wrote: »
    He doesn't fit in with the club's recruitment strategy and is in his late 20s. I think anything much more and you are getting into silly money. He's given plenty to Wolves so they may be keen to not look to be holding players back. Could stop their conveyor belt setup.

Separately, I would be firmly in the camp that Martial as a striker needs to be upgraded on. He drifts so much in games and if he's not scoring, he's not doing the things you want your central striker to do. A Martial with Vardy's brain would be the best player in the world but he gives up too easily and doesn't have the mentality of a top striker. I think he's happy enough to be good and not great despite having the talent to be great.

Like what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

In a year when Liverpool annihilated the league I suppose it would be nice if the Glazers reacted by spending some money. The Chevrolet deal is up next year isn’t it so there could be a few reasons why we might actually fund a proper team rebuild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Like what?

Holding up the ball, providing an outlet ball for the midfield/defenders, pressing the defense, scoring reliably, creating his own chances from nothing(he does this on occasion so it's in his locker), etc. He got his season up front with no responsibility other than putting the ball in the back of the net and still was hardly prolific, not scoring in half the games he played and being ineffective when chances not put on a plate for him.

He shows when he works hard for the team he gets rewarded but still puts half hearted efforts in most of the time. As a central striker and main attacking threat playing 30+ games for a top 6 team you want him to be troubling the top scorers but he's well behind them.

Holding up the ball, providing an outlet ball for the midfield/defenders, pressing the defense, scoring reliably, creating his own chances from nothing(he does this on occasion so it's in his locker), etc. He got his season up front with no responsibility other than putting the ball in the back of the net and still was hardly prolific, not scoring in half the games he played and being ineffective when chances not put on a plate for him.

He shows when he works hard for the team he gets rewarded but still puts half hearted efforts in most of the time. As a central striker and main attacking threat playing 30+ games for a top 6 team you want him to be troubling the top scorers but he's well behind them.

I don't even know where to begin with how inaccurate that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

GSPfan wrote: »
    In a year when Liverpool annihilated the league I suppose it would be nice if the Glazers reacted by spending some money. The Chevrolet deal is up next year isn’t it so there could be a few reasons why we might actually fund a proper team rebuild.

Biggest problem is the NFL looks to be all over the place so they could take a big hit and tighten the purse for us, I see the Newcastle deal is off wonder if the Saudis chance us again or is it over the streaming stuff?

I don't even know where to begin with how inaccurate that is.

No you're right, what was I thinking. He's world class. There's no reason to question his ability after what he's shown the last few seasons. Up there with the Sterlings, Salahs, Manes, Agueros etc.

It's just they outscore him significantly and generally outperform him every season though? With another player on the same team scoring close to or more than 20 league goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Itv4 is showing the Chelsea Man Utd ECL final from 2008.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

Please God that there is a quick confirmation in the next few day re Sancho - both sides seem willing to make the deal happen so should meet halfway - and Gabriel.

Once those two are done it would be nice to see Dean Henderson's contract sorted and then let Ole fill some gaps with whatever budget is remaining.

Hococop wrote: »
    Biggest problem is the NFL looks to be all over the place so they could take a big hit and tighten the purse for us, I see the Newcastle deal is off wonder if the Saudis chance us again or is it over the streaming stuff?

Who really knows about the Saudi’s. Maybe they just realised the value of Newcastle right now could fall if they sit back for another 6-12 months and let the Covid-19 effect pass. Maybe there’s another club in another country they are looking at that won’t cause such a stir. I definitely don’t think they are looking at buying United.

I wish for the day some multi billionaire person or entity takes the club from the Glazers.

Thought they said on MOTD and maybe Bruce in interviews they were waiting on the Premier League

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

No you're right, what was I thinking. He's world class. There's no reason to question his ability after what he's shown the last few seasons. Up there with the Sterlings, Salahs, Manes, Agueros etc.

It's just they outscore him significantly and generally outperform him every season though? With another player on the same team scoring close to or more than 20 league goals.

Sterling mane and salah are not strikers, this has been martials first proper season as a striker and he has been very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Cause they are the only two levels at which a player can live. World Class, or doesn't offer anything at all if it isn't put on a plate for him.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

billyhead wrote: »

Few sights in sport as good as that Terry miss and aftermath

billyhead wrote: »

Nani and Anderson, 2 young lads taking penos under serious pressure. Will never forget it

Cause they are the only two levels at which a player can live. World Class, or doesn't offer anything at all if it isn't put on a plate for him.

Because I said that? Inferring having doubts about a player means I think he's terrible. I think he's a great player with the mentality of someone who doesn't want to be great. Is he a better player now than when he joined? It's probably negligible. His most efficient period was probably under José being used as a rotational left winger.

Hopefully he'll push on next season and make me eat my words and he's still young enough to do so but the lack of progress or improvement in attitude over the last few years makes me think it's not going to happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sancho, Grealish, Jimenez, Pau Torres.

Hype train leaving the station, choo choo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Well considering you’re comparing him to 3 players in their prime, who have played in better, more settled teams over the years it’s probably a bit unfair.

But for arguments sake, let’s compare his stats to theirs this season.

In the PL alone:

Martial - 32 apps 17 goals and 6 assists
    Mane - 35 apps 18 goals and 7 assists
    Sterling - 33 apps 20 goals and 1 assist
    Salah - 34 apps 19 goals and 10 assists
    Aguero - 24 apps, 16 goals and 3 assists

Looking at those, he doesn’t seem so out of place if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Thought they said on MOTD and maybe Bruce in interviews they were waiting on the Premier League

I think perhaps they were in the dark at the time, but this came out just yesterday about the WTO's ruling that the Saudi's had facilitated the piracy of Premier League matches.
    The Newcastle takeover saga has taken a fresh twist after Saudi Arabia formally appealed against a World Trade Organization ruling that it facilitated the piracy of Premier League matches.....
    ....that ruling, along with questions over the Saudi state’s role in piracy, have been key factors in delaying the £300m takeover at St James’ Park. The Premier League continues to investigate the links between the Saudi government and its Public Investment Fund, which is hoping to acquire a 80% stake in Newcastle. The independence of the PIF continues to be questioned, especially given its chairman, Mohammed bin Salman, is also the de facto ruler of Saudi Arabia.

In a letter to the WTO’s appellate body, the Saudi government says it rejects the WTO’s conclusion that the Premier League was stopped from taking action against the pirate broadcaster BeoutQ in the Saudi courts.

Then less than a day after that story broke, the Saudi's pulled out of the buyout.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jul/29/saudi-arabia-appeals-wto-ruling-in-twist-to-newcastle-takeover-bid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

GSPfan wrote: »
    I’m going to completely turn my brain off from reality for a minute and wish for everything I want.

I want a new starting Centre Back.
    I want a new DM to compete/replace Matic.
    I want a back up for Bruno.
    I want Sancho.
    I want Jimenez.

Turning my brain back on I’ve just realised my wishes have cost the club 280 million.

Subtract outgoings-

Sanchez- no fee but clears his wage bill
    Smalling- 20m
    Andreas- 20m
    Jones- 13m
    Lingard- 20m

So your talking 200 millionish for what you want. Two transfer windows??

I think you may be under estimating the cost of your players though. I think for that lot you are talking well over 300m. So for me, 3 transfer windows while showing improvement along the way! Easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

Rock77 wrote: »
    Subtract outgoings-

Smalling- 20m
    Andreas- 20m
    Jones- 13m
    Lingard- 20m

I think you may be under estimating the cost of your players though. I think for that lot you are talking well over 300m. So for me, 3 transfer windows while showing improvement along the way! Easy

I don't think we'll get those kind of amounts for the players we'd like to move on. No chance 20 million for Andreas anyway!

Smalling is probably the most sellable of the players we want to shift but can't see any of the others bringing in too much money. Getting them off the wage bill would be the main thing I suppose though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Subtract outgoings-

Smalling- 20m
    Andreas- 20m
    Jones- 13m
    Lingard- 20m

Sanchez 15m
    Andreas 8m
    Jones 12m
    Lingard 17m
    Smalling 18m
    Rojo 9m

I think we’ll be able to get rid of Sanchez, Rojo and Jones. Inter seem keen on Sanchez and he definitely doesn’t want to return to United. Andreas is gonna take a while to sell unless one of the Spanish teams fancies taking a punt on him. I don’t think Jesse will leave in this transfer window and Smalling will depend on whether Roma are able to spend money or not

I wouldnt be surprised if jones just hung around and ran down his contract given the amount of time he spends out injured, doubtful he will get similar money anywhere else given his injury history, most likely wont be missing out on much playing time and would get a bigger signing on fee if he was going for free.

Its a shame about his career but thats probably the advice he would get in terms of making the most money from whats left of it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Think the smaller gap until season kicks off will suit us more.

Try to keep the form going. We will need additions to deal with fatigue but we’ll have to wait and see on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I wouldnt be surprised if jones just hung around and ran down his contract given the amount of time he spends out injured, doubtful he will get similar money anywhere else given his injury history, most likely wont be missing out on much playing time and would get a bigger signing on fee if he was going for free.

Its a shame about his career but thats probably the advice he would get in terms of making the most money from whats left of it

Feel bad for him. Showed glimpses and had the talent. Clearly felt pride in the jersey too.

I’ve been a big defender of his but it’s time for him to move on. Would be nice to see him get a consistent injury free spell somewhere but who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Well considering you’re comparing him to 3 players in their prime, who have played in better, more settled teams over the years it’s probably a bit unfair.

But for arguments sake, let’s compare his stats to theirs this season.

In the PL alone:

Martial - 32 apps 17 goals and 6 assists
    Mane - 35 apps 18 goals and 7 assists
    Sterling - 33 apps 20 goals and 1 assist
    Salah - 34 apps 19 goals and 10 assists
    Aguero - 24 apps, 16 goals and 3 assists

Looking at those, he doesn’t seem so out of place if you ask me.

I like Martial and think he has as much ability as anyone but I'd still be concerned about his mentality, and I think he benefitted a lot from the reduced pressure of playing in empty stadiums.

Hope I'm wrong and he carries on doing what he has been doing since June.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Think the smaller gap until season kicks off will suit us more.

Try to keep the form going. We will need additions to deal with fatigue but we’ll have to wait and see on that.

What form?

The form for the last 5 games was cat and we stumbled over the line for 3rd rather than a sprint finish. Start the next season as we finished then we will be well off the pace setters before too long and will face another uphill struggle for top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Mejbri is like the blonde lovechild of Chong and Fellaini.

116340591_10157854905332746_6373953441798615662_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=8024bb&efg=eyJpIjoiYiJ9&_nc_ohc=NuwQIEx5e-4AX9SatZS&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&tp=14&oh=8735b6dc9841b5cc0d86a8fe4330396f&oe=5F4A1D8B

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I reckon we will sign Josh King for 15-20m to replace Igahlo.

Can't see us spending big on Jiminez just for him to warm the bench.

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Sanchez 15m
    Andreas 8m
    Jones 12m
    Lingard 17m
    Smalling 18m
    Rojo 9m

I think we’ll be able to get rid of Sanchez, Rojo and Jones. Inter seem keen on Sanchez and he definitely doesn’t want to return to United. Andreas is gonna take a while to sell unless one of the Spanish teams fancies taking a punt on him. I don’t think Jesse will leave in this transfer window and Smalling will depend on whether Roma are able to spend money or not

That’s 5 players, throw Mata in aswell makes 6. Get rid of them all over 2-3 transfer windows... that’s still almost 80m..

Over 2-3 transfer windows bring in all the players needed.. approx 300m.

So your talking a net spend of 220 million over 2-3 transfer windows. Doesn’t seem outrageous to me..

We finished 3rd this year, who’s to say 100m of the above spent this year wont have us challenging for 2nd this season?

Obviously the recruitment has to be done correctly but I don’t think it’s a massive ask..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Delighted to hear about the potential Jiminez signing, I’ve been saying we need somebody else up front, what we have is not enough. Get A RW/RM a quality CB and then they can go after Grealish, thats a solid window and a decent squad with options all over the park.

Matic is fine for this season (with McT and Fred well able to fill in), we can get a replacement next year if needed.

• Advertisement

That’s 5 players, throw Mata in aswell makes 6. Get rid of them all over 2-3 transfer windows... that’s still almost 80m..

Over 2-3 transfer windows bring in all the players needed.. approx 300m.

So your talking a net spend of 220 million over 2-3 transfer windows. Doesn’t seem outrageous to me..

We finished 3rd this year, who’s to say 100m of the above spent this year wont have us challenging for 2nd this season?

Obviously the recruitment has to be done correctly but I don’t think it’s a massive ask..

I think patience is the key word here. I’ve been impressed with the two windows Ole has been here for and if he gets another two/three windows I think we’ll have a fantastic group of players.

Seen a number of outlets linking us with Jimenez again but I just can’t see that happening... Wolves will demand top dollar for their prized asset. I’d much rather spend it on Sancho and a centre half. A defensive midfielder can wait another year especially with Matic having just signed an extension. I’m interested to see how Scotty T performs next season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Drumpot wrote: »
    Delighted to hear about the potential Jiminez signing, I’ve been saying we need somebody else up front, what we have is not enough.

Agreed - great if it happens. I just dont get the idea that we're "stunting" the growth of existing forwards by buying new ones. Competition should make each of them better - if they're not in the team there's a reason.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    I reckon we will sign Josh King for 15-20m to replace Igahlo.

Can't see us spending big on Jiminez just for him to warm the bench.
    it is arguable, at least, that he would just warm the bench.

We tried to sign Haaland.
    We apparently asked about Jiminez in January.

If you were to take that as true, that Solskjaer does seem to want a more traditional number 9 at the club, and based on the two players we have seemingly made attempts for (certainly in Haalands case) its not just a guy to sit on the bench that Ole wants - it is a competitive, starting 11 quality, signing that he wants.

We can argue whether that is practical with Martial and Greenwood at the club already (in terms of players you would argue for that centre starting spot), but i would say it certainly seems from Solskjaers perspective that a Striker, who wouldn't just warm the bench, is wanted.

I have read previously that Ole actually shared the same concerns regarding Martial as a number 9, so if that was true it would point to why we would be after a number 9. I do think Martial, in particular since Christmas, has shown a growing desire and hunger in his number 9 play - so I personally am not screaming for a number 9 myself this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

If you were to take that as true, that Solskjaer does seem to want a more traditional number 9 at the club, and based on the two players we have seemingly made attempts for (certainly in Haalands case) its not just a guy to sit on the bench that Ole wants - it is a competitive, starting 11 quality, signing that he wants.

We can argue whether that is practical with Martial and Greenwood at the club already (in terms of players you would argue for that centre starting spot), but i would say it certainly seems from Solskjaers perspective that a Striker, who wouldn't just warm the bench, is wanted.

I have read previously that Ole actually shared the same concerns regarding Martial as a number 9, so if that was true it would point to why we would be after a number 9. I do think Martial, in particular since Christmas, has shown a growing desire and hunger in his number 9 play - so I personally am not screaming for a number 9 myself this summer.

begs the question, why were there no links to werner?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Sorry to go back to yesterday but I have to say I thought Martial had a very good season as a Centre Forward.

Overall he did well with his goal return throughout and as the season went on he showed he is very suited to how Ole wants to play. There is still a lot of work to do with the playing out from the back and getting it to work but as the CF Martial had shown many of the things needed in that style of play.

Around the edge of the box he has the touch, strength and vision to link with others, he has done well leading and closing down at the front, he can rotate and switch positions with other players.

He has outrageous finishing ability. Is quick with and without the ball. good dribbler and looking stronger and more able for the physical side all the time.

It was his first season as a CF which makes his season look even better in my opinion. He would be the type of player I would want United to be looking at signing now.

The rage in his face when he was taken off without a goal was a great moment after the break, but it was also matched by the same annoyance when the team did not win games.

Not really, Werner isn’t a number 9. He plays in the same role as Rashford and is built exactly the same. He would get bullied in England playing on his own up top.

I think patience is the key word here. I’ve been impressed with the two windows Ole has been here for and if he gets another two/three windows I think we’ll have a fantastic group of players.

Seen a number of outlets linking us with Jimenez again but I just can’t see that happening... Wolves will demand top dollar for their prized asset. I’d much rather spend it on Sancho and a centre half. A defensive midfielder can wait another year especially with Matic having just signed an extension. I’m interested to see how Scotty T performs next season

Oh yeah I definitely agree, that’s why I said 6 players out and 5 players in over 2-3 transfer windows.

I don’t think that selling 2 players and buying 2 players per transfer window is asking too much.

I don't know too much about him - but I have read he drifts and roams in a similar fashion to Martial, in terms of him not being a classical central striker. WhoScored shows him playing the vast majority of games as a central forward, but some at left side or as an AMC. So it could be Ole didn't think his style was different enough (not arguing better or not) to Martial, Greenwood, Rashford.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Sorry to go back to yesterday but I have to say I thought Martial had a very good season as a Centre Forward.

Overall he did well with his goal return throughout and as the season went on he showed he is very suited to how Ole wants to play. There is still a lot of work to do with the playing out from the back and getting it to work but as the CF Martial had shown many of the things needed in that style of play.

Around the edge of the box he has the touch, strength and vision to link with others, he has done well leading and closing down at the front, he can rotate and switch positions with other players.

He has outrageous finishing ability. Is quick with and without the ball. good dribbler and looking stronger and more able for the physical side all the time.

It was his first season as a CF which makes his season look even better in my opinion. He would be the type of player I would want United to be looking at signing now.

The rage in his face when he was taken off without a goal was a great moment after the break, but it was also matched by the same annoyance when the team did not win games.

Watched a thread of his goals this season the other day. there were some amazing goals in there.

But what struck me was the lack of goals that came from one touch finishes within 12 yards - getting across the defender on a cross for a flash finish or header, the classical 'striker' goals. Most of his goals were cracking strikes from edge of the box or outside, or from through balls, or link up play - absolutely lovely goals, but not showing that he gets the 'dirty' goals.

I’m of the opinion that signing Jimenez would be an amazing signing for us. He’s literally perfect to give us something different. Signing Sancho and Jimenez gives us 5 top quality players for the front 3 positions that means we’d never need to overplay anyone. Add in Bruno and Grealish to that list and we’d have a mind bogglingly good selection of players in our attacking front 4.

I’m also of the opinion that until either the Jiminez or Grealish transfers are verified I just can’t see it happening due to financial constraints. It doesn’t seem plausible right now to do those deals. Sancho is nailed on I think. Every other transfer is up in the air.

• Advertisement

If we got Willian(free), Jiminez, top notch CB , we’d still have some funds for another quality squad signing. I’d prefer that then blowing most of our funds on Sancho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Not really, Werner isn’t a number 9. He plays in the same role as Rashford and is built exactly the same. He would get bullied in England playing on his own up top.
    I don't know too much about him - but I have read he drifts and roams in a similar fashion to Martial, in terms of him not being a classical central striker. WhoScored shows him playing the vast majority of games as a central forward, but some at left side or as an AMC. So it could be Ole didn't think his style was different enough (not arguing better or not) to Martial, Greenwood, Rashford.

ive rarely see him play in fairness. just always thought he was a no. 9.

regardless, RW is more pressing IMO. by all accounts, mason will end up through the middle.

DM_7 wrote: »

Probably the most underrated and unnoticed aspect of his game. His interplay with the likes of Rashford, Greenwood, James and now Fernandes is brilliant. He's an excellent passer of the ball - always seems to put a perfect weight on his passes whether it's through balls or lay offs as part of a 1-2 movement. He's easily our most intelligent forward and extremely important to how we play.

If we got Willian(free), Jiminez, top notch CB , we’d still have some funds for another quality squad signing. I’d prefer that then blowing most of our funds on Sancho.

Nah - I'd be fooking gutted if we got willian instead of Sancho. that would be such a massive let down.

Willian would be a signing showing an utter lack of ambition. If we'd gone for, say, the young lad City are signing from Valencia, I'd be more on board with it. highly rated young player with scope to improve. But Willian? The time to sign him was 3 years ago. Not now.

Also, I feel you are pissing into the wind with your hate of the Sancho signing at this point. It feels inevitable to the point discussing transfer targets without him being in the equation is utterly pointless.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

[La Voix du Nord] Manchester United, Napoli & Everton have made €30m offers for Lille defender Gabriel

Semi-reliable for Lille news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

Unless a bargain for a top level no. 9 comes along, I wouldn't either.
    The landscape at the Club has changed since the January window. Bruno has (mostly) re-engerised the team and with Rashford seeming to have overcome his back injury, Martial showing some consistency and in particular the rapid development of Greenwood to a first XI striker, also throwing in Igalo doing a decent job, it wouldn't be a priority for me.
    That's not to say we can't do better up front, the lack of goals since Fergie has been our no 1 problem even if several areas of the pitch contributed to that.
    But with limited funds available, there are more pressing areas to upgrade first. Sancho fixes the RW area we never filled since Valencia broke his leg and made the move to wing/full back. He will also improve our existing attack.
    Someone to cover for Bruno and provide options in the forward areas of midfield is next priority for me, with a replacement for Matic an a new starting CB as equal next choices.
    When those 4 areas RW, AM, DM, CB, are boxed off then I would be looking at the striker situation and both full back areas, LB in particular as well as may e adding more options to the midfield.
    I'll be amazed if we bring in more that 3 of those 4 positions this window, my guess is RW, midfield and a CB at best, with a DM and a bid for Haaland next summer when we have (hopefully) shown we are capable of challenging. 3 good signing should get us comfortably into top 4 next year with a strong title push the year after. That's assuming no other positions become problamatic over the upcoming season, GK, I'm looking at you.
    And that's the biggest worry I have with our current recruitment process that we are not bringing in enough players quickly enough, mostly just fixing the problem areas each year rather than seriously upgrading players that are OK to good with better players and providing real options in the squad.
    To me it'll take the 4 positions I outlined and maybe another squad addition to push us on to keep ahead of everyone else and get a step closer to the top 2, but I can't see the club doing that.
    Anything less is just firefighting with the team quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Mings to United doing the rounds on Twitter,

Willian has 3 fantastic contract offers on the table, stay at Chelsea, 3 year deal at Barcelona or 3 and half year deal at Inter Miami, i know which deal i would be taking

Nah - I'd be fooking gutted if we got willian instead of Sancho. that would be such a massive let down.

Willian would be a signing showing an utter lack of ambition. If we'd gone for, say, the young lad City are signing from Valencia, I'd be more on board with it. highly rated young player with scope to improve. But Willian? The time to sign him was 3 years ago. Not now.

Also, I feel you are pissing into the wind with your hate of the Sancho signing at this point. It feels inevitable to the point discussing transfer targets without him being in the equation is utterly pointless.

I dont hate Sancho, there are legitimate concerns to be had with him but I just dont believe hes a priority signing if most of our budget needs to be used to get him. Hes not signed for us yet, whats utterly pointless to have discussions as if he has signed , I would of thought Ronaldinho had thought us all that. EDIT: No need for that.

I've said it several times, I believe a stronger squad is better strategy then spending most our budget on one player. Like Liverpool with Allison and VVD, I think its better to buy your big names when your squad is ready to take the next step. Otherwise you get what happened with Pogba, Sanchez and Lukaku, basically they don't want to hang around in a team that wont challenge for top honors. The next step for us is solidifying top 4 and getting to latter parts of CL, we arent ready to challange for either and unless its a mammoth transfer window we have no justification to have much higher expectations. Next season would be the one we should hopefully be looking at the icing on the cake signings.

• Advertisement

I dont hate Sancho, there are legitimate concerns to be had with him but I just dont believe hes a priority signing if most of our budget needs to be used to get him. Hes not signed for us yet, whats utterly pointless to have discussions as if he has signed , I would of thought Ronaldinho had thought us all that. EDIT: No need for that.

I've said it several times, I believe a stronger squad is better strategy then spending most our budget on one player. Like Liverpool with Allison and VVD, I think its better to buy your big names when your squad is ready to take the next step. Otherwise you get what happened with Pogba, Sanchez and Lukaku, basically they don't want to hang around in a team that wont challenge for top honors. The next step for us is solidifying top 4 and getting to latter parts of CL, we arent ready to challange for either and unless its a mammoth transfer window we have no justification to have much higher expectations. Next season would be the one we should hopefully be looking at the icing on the cake signings.

Our starting 11 from Leicester plus Romero/Henderson, Shaw, Fred, McTominay Tuanzebe, Ighalo, Sancho and a centre back. That’s a pretty good squad. We’ll work towards a defensive midfielder the following summer then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement