Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20 (Mod Notes Post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    I reckon we will sign Josh King for 15-20m to replace Igahlo.

Can't see us spending big on Jiminez just for him to warm the bench.

There's going to be a much greater requirement for another striker next year imo. We're going from being able to play a second string team on Thursdays to a lot more competitive football.

Martial isn't the most reliable. Greenwood is still too young to be considered as a main striker imo. Ighalo will be gone soon (and I still can't figure out why he wasn't used more, for Rashford with Martial wide, post lockdown).

Another quality striker is needed imo. We're very light or inexperienced in that area for the season ahead. I think we need more than King myself.

Martial has the flexibility to play out wide so there'll be nobody stuck for minutes imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Drumpot wrote: »
    I dont hate Sancho, there are legitimate concerns to be had with him but I just dont believe hes a priority signing if most of our budget needs to be used to get him. Hes not signed for us yet, whats utterly pointless to have discussions as if he has signed , I would of thought Ronaldinho had thought us all that. EDIT: No need for that.

I've said it several times, I believe a stronger squad is better strategy then spending most our budget on one player. Like Liverpool with Allison and VVD, I think its better to buy your big names when your squad is ready to take the next step. Otherwise you get what happened with Pogba, Sanchez and Lukaku, basically they don't want to hang around in a team that wont challenge for top honors. The next step for us is solidifying top 4 and getting to latter parts of CL, we arent ready to challange for either and unless its a mammoth transfer window we have no justification to have much higher expectations. Next season would be the one we should hopefully be looking at the icing on the cake signings.
    I didn't say hate Sancho, i said the signing.

I just don't think it is realistic at this point to be discussing a transfer window that doesn't include him. It may not happen, but I think it is clear the club want it to.

I would also disagree with you on Sanchez and Lukaku. They didn't leave because the team wasn't in contention for a title.

Sanchez left cause he was playing rubbish, not selected as a result of it and Ole wanted him out.

Lukaku left because, rightly or wrongly, Ole had a preference of Rashford over him at CF. (wrongly, in the end, it was Martial that ended up taking that spot and Rashford went back left). Lukaku wasn't being treated as first choice CF, and that is why he left.

Pogba is the only one of those three you can say wants/ed to leave due to the lack of competitiveness. I would also reckon he had planned on playing for Madrid by around now regardless of what United were or were not competing for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Didn't Martial play as a 9 in his first season under Van gaal? And look like a guy with bags of potential doing it? Could have sworn he played up top that year then got moved around when Ibrah came in under Jose.

I'm certain I'd have posts from back then likely whinging about that and especially when he was being played on the left and Rashford up top when I felt it should have been the other way around.

I think the hunger we saw from Martial since Bruno came in buys him time in the role, I've no doubt he would have been a prime candidate for replacement up to that. Hopefully he can build on this season and come back stronger again next season

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Watched a thread of his goals this season the other day. there were some amazing goals in there.

But what struck me was the lack of goals that came from one touch finishes within 12 yards - getting across the defender on a cross for a flash finish or header, the classical 'striker' goals. Most of his goals were cracking strikes from edge of the box or outside, or from through balls, or link up play - absolutely lovely goals, but not showing that he gets the 'dirty' goals.

It is an interesting point, is it a Javier Hernandez type striker you are thinking of during his time at United?

Would United want a dirty goal CF as part of the first 11?

To me what makes Martial so great is his variety of goals and involvement in making goals for himself and others.

His goals this season show a great mix of amazing strikes, solo runs or link up play but he also headers in there, a couple of goals where he pounced on mistakes from back passes, first time finishes like Sheffield United goals.

A 24 year old with his pace and power, ability to link up and be part of the creation of his or goals for others must be the exact type of striker wanted.

Always a place in the squad for your traditional "fox in the box" types who can just pop up with a scrappy goal out if seemingly nothing too.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Didn't Martial play as a 9 in his first season under Van gaal? And look like a guy with bags of potential doing it? Could have sworn he played up top that year then got moved around when Ibrah came in under Jose.

I'm certain I'd have posts from back then likely whinging about that and especially when he was being played on the left and Rashford up top when I felt it should have been the other way around.

I think the hunger we saw from Martial since Bruno came in buys him time in the role, I've no doubt he would have been a prime candidate for replacement up to that. Hopefully he can build on this season and come back stronger again next season

dont think he did, we had van Persie, Rooney and Falcao in the squad then so he played more from the left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

bangkok wrote: »
    dont think he did, we had van Persie, Rooney and Falcao in the squad then so he played more from the left

I think he did. Van persie and hernandez were sold that summer and falcao loan had ended when he was bought late in the window.

I think he did. Van persie and hernandez were sold that summer and falcao loan had ended when he was bought late in the window.

correct, i though he meant van gaals first season and not martials

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

DM_7 wrote: »
    It is an interesting point, is it a Javier Hernandez type striker you are thinking of during his time at United?

To me what makes Martial so great is his variety of goals and involvement in making goals for himself and others.

His goals this season show a great mix of amazing strikes, solo runs or link up play but he also headers in there, a couple of goals where he pounced on mistakes from back passes, first time finishes like Sheffield United goals.

A 24 year old with his pace and power, ability to link up and be part of the creation of his or goals for others must be the exact type of striker wanted.

it would be great if martial could add that to his game.

he has the physical attributes to be able to nick in in front of a defender to get a farty little shot away at goal.

even 5 of those over the course of a season could make a huge difference.

it is arguable. Chico was a dirty goal goal scorer alright, but someone like Jiminez would provide a lot more. He is great in the air, he is good at bringing others in too - but has a strikers instinct that is lacking at United.

Part of it is looking at what Sancho would bring to the team - if he is putting the ball into the box for the stiker, do we have a striker that will be looking to capitalise on it. Now, Sancho does bring more and he is a player that will interplay with the forwards - not just whip it in.

Look at Jiminez and Traore I suppose - if we had Traore at United, do we have a player that would be getting on to his chances and putting them in.

Giroud is another example I would use. United simply don't have a forward like him. (not that all clubs do) Giroud shows the benefit of having a more classical striker/target man. And when you have a more classical winger looking to provide, that type of forward is more needed. Again, Sancho isn't the old 'classical' winger, but he would create more from wide than we have up to now, imo.

• Advertisement

it would be great if martial could add that to his game.

he has the physical attributes to be able to nick in in front of a defender to get a farty little shot away at goal.

even 5 of those over the course of a season could make a huge difference.

Tbf I think he did have about 5 this season where he was nipping in on front of someone from a position where he was in the box and just beat or got away from the person marking him to the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Giroud is another example I would use. United simply don't have a forward like him. (not that all clubs do) Giroud shows the benefit of having a more classical striker/target man. And when you have a more classical winger looking to provide, that type of forward is more needed. Again, Sancho isn't the old 'classical' winger, but he would create more from wide than we have up to now, imo.

And it's a very useful type of striker to have when playing against an effective high press, which we seem to struggle against.

Play it quickly to a typical "No.9" rather than going through the lines, a forward who can hold it up and bring others into play.
    The 2nd half against Southampton and long periods of the Semi-final against Chelsea were games in which we really lacked that type of forward.

I was even surprised we didn't use Ighalo more in those situations.

scored

R Team Open Play Counter Attack Set Piece Penalty Own Goal
    1 Manchester City 73 4 17 6 2
    2 Liverpool 51 10 17 5 2
    3 Leicester 44 9 7 5 2
    4 Chelsea 44 7 11 7 0
    5 Manchester United 41 6 8 10 1
    6 Arsenal 39 2 12 3 0
    7 Tottenham 37 8 8 3 5

looking at that, set piece goals is something that needs to be improved upon, hopefully with bruno it may improve. couldn't find a breakdown between free kicks going in vs header/other goals from set pieces.

spurs were lucky with getting 5 goals from OG's!.

conceded:

R Team Open Play Counter Attack Set Piece Penalty Own Goal
    14 Wolverhampton Wanderers 28 1 9 1 1
    15 Chelsea 27 8 14 2 3
    16 Arsenal 25 1 15 7 0
    17 Leicester 24 1 6 8 2
    18 Manchester City 21 3 7 3 1
    19 Liverpool 20 4 7 1 1
    20 Manchester United 18 3 11 3 1

least goals conceded from open play this season. big problem there are the set pieces.

so set pieces are a problem at both ends of the pitch. hopefully ole can sort that this summer (with the limited amount of time). prob a commanding CB or CM (if they do buy there) should help on both counts.

Zeek12 wrote: »
    And it's a very useful type of striker to have when playing against an effective high press, which we seem to struggle against.

Play it quickly to a typical "No.9" rather than going through the lines, a forward who can hold it up and bring others into play.
    The 2nd half against Southampton and long periods of the Semi-final against Chelsea were games in which we really lacked that type of forward.

I was even surprised we didn't use Ighalo more in those situations.

United did not play the ball in like that post covid break. As you say that type of forward is needed to play that way effectively but I don't think United were even looking to try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Tbf I think he did have about 5 this season where he was nipping in on front of someone from a position where he was in the box and just beat or got away from the person marking him to the ball.

They were good balls played directly to his feet from what I can remember. For which he certainly is good at putting away. My issue is that is that he rarely tries to get to the hopeless causes as such. If he sees something as being out of his reach, he won't make the run or close it down. It worked this year when he tried it in the league against Chelsea and there was another lost cause I remember post lockdown on the right wing but can't place the game.

I like Martial as a player, but he's been given an awful lot of leeway to develop into something more than he is and I don't think he's grasped it. Before his injury and throughout the last couple of years you could see the improvement in Rashford year on year, in both general play and finishing. With Martial I don't think he's added any strings to his bow since joining. Some see this season as a big jump, I see it as him being given the most amount of freedom he's ever been given and still making a lot of the same pitfalls.

As I've said, I'd be delighted if he came out and blew the league away next season and I hope he does if nobody is signed for the position. I feel he'll be looking over his shoulder at Greenwood though and hasn't shown himself to have the character to challenge himself previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

Is Jimenez really that good though as a top level striker and for the level United are trying to get to? He doesn't exactly have a great goal scoring record and he is 29. I appreciate he is a different type of striker than what we have and is more in the Giroud mould but for the money that would probably be involved I don't see him being a viable option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

BenK wrote: »
    Is Jimenez really that good though as a top level striker and for the level United are trying to get to? He doesn't exactly have a great goal scoring record and he is 29. I appreciate he is a different type of striker than what we have and is more in the Giroud mould but for the money that would probably be involved I don't see him being a viable option.

You only have to watch him to see what he brings. His all round play is top level imo and with increased chances at a top team I think he's 20 goals a season easily. Wolves play with a back 3 and sometimes 2 defensive midfielders. The amount of winners and key goals he scores in close wins is very high.

I just can't picture this transfers happening it doesn't make any sense,

Why would wolves sell for a reasonable fee, Jimminez suits there system perfectly and is the only real goal threat

Why would we spend so money on a 29 year old most likely back up striker.

Liam O wrote: »
    You only have to watch him to see what he brings. His all round play is top level imo and with increased chances at a top team I think he's 20 goals a season easily. Wolves play with a back 3 and sometimes 2 defensive midfielders. The amount of winners and key goals he scores in close wins is very high.

I would have no issue with his age either. An experienced striker like that for 3 good years is needed imo.

I think people have jumped the gun a little with Greenwood and expectations around him. Talking about him being cover for Martial for example. Greenwood should have another year or two out wide and I wouldn't want to be seeing him play more than 30 games a season.

Someone like Jiminez would be great short term and long term in that sense. I don't know what price tag is being thrown about for Jiminez but if it's sensible, I think he would be a great addition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Liam O wrote: »

Super player the only problem is when guys are in and out of a team they won't score at the same rate they do when they start every week ,

Considering he probably would probably rotate with Marital you have to factor that into there expected goal returns

Its an age old problem trying to get back up striker's who can be bang on it when called upon ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I am not sure I'm on board for this target man plan B approach that others are alluding to. I f*cking hated the low percentage long ball football we often played under Jose as we lumped balls up to Lukaku.

I'm all for having a poacher like striker in our arsenal but could do without hitting long balls to a classier Gary Doherty to try bypass a high press. There's another way to counter a high press, be able to play around it. That's what we did to score what should have been the winner against Southamption. If we're not good enough at it now then we should continue trying until we improve, if the players are not good enough at it then we should look at bringing in players that are good at doing so. It's clearly Ole's desired way of playing football.

I just can't picture this transfers happening it doesn't make any sense,

Why would wolves sell for a reasonable fee, Jimminez suits there system perfectly and is the only real goal threat

Why would we spend so money on a 29 year old most likely back up striker.

its the wolves part that I can't work out.

When we have seen United try to sign Haaland in January, and sign Ighalo on loan, I think it is clear Ole wants a striker (I don't entirely agree but whatever)

You can say Ighalo was only signed because Rashford got injured, but i think that is only part of the story really. The fact we went for Haaland shows we were after the 'right' striker, Ighalo coming in was an emergency solution to the Rashford injury - while Ole would seemingly have been ok (publicly at least) to go with the options he had til the summer.

We were extensively linked with Dembele too.

So I think United going for Jiminez is in line with what we have seen from them.

But I just can't see Wolves being willing to sell for a fee that would be justifiable.

Also, given this broke yesterday and not one other outlet has jumped on it would point to it simply not being true. Even yesterday is as an aside to an article about Wolves signing Pualinho (granted that bit is more interesting in Portugal) but it feels on as an aside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

When you really think about it our biggest problem is maintaining fitness throughout the season and I know for a fact Ole knows that. Ole mentioned that we will now be playing big games twice a week due to CL qualification. So he knows he needs quality players to rotate in and out of the team to maintain any sort of challenge. We currently don’t have that.

People keep going back to the 99 team where we had 4 great strikers for 2 positions. Well if Ole really sees that as a winning formula then he needs 6 great players for those front 3 positions. Or at the very least 5 players. Rashford, Martial, Sancho, Greenwood, Jimenez. It makes a lot of sense on paper why we’d do it. But in reality I just can’t see us being able to finance Sancho and Jimenez when we will have to buy a Centre Back too.

If some financial magic can be performed to afford Sancho, Jimenez, Grealish, Upamecano for example then I’d be flabbergasted.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I am not sure I'm on board for this target man plan B approach that others are alluding to. I f*cking hated the low percentage long ball football we often played under Jose as we lumped balls up to Lukaku.

I'm all for having a poacher like striker in our arsenal but could do without hitting long balls to a classier Gary Doherty to try bypass a high press. There's another way to counter a high press, be able to play around it. That's what we did to score what should have been the winner against Southamption. If we're not good enough at it now then we should continue trying until we improve, if the players are not good enough at it then we should look at bringing in players that are good at doing so. It's clearly Ole's desired way of playing football.

i don't think that is a fair summation of what people are talking about in terms of style.

Jiminez isn't being considered a classier Doherty. Its not about lumping the ball 70yards and hoping it sticks. Its about having a central striker that can occupy defenders, bully them a bit and has a nose for getting on the end of chances in the box.

Chelsea don't play hoof it football when Giroud is up front. Inter don't play it with Lukaku - United shouldn't have played it with Lukaku.

Jiminez is also very good on the ball. His link play is a strength. He may not be as fluid as Martial can be, but shouldn't cast him as a beanpole up front.

IMO it would be similar to Kane, for example. A proper centre forward - its not like Spurs play hoof ball to him.

I also think it's easier to keep 5 top class forward players happy when you are truly competing for domestic and european success as was the case back in 99.

It's a bit more of difficult sell when your only squeezing into a CL spot by the skin of your teeth and you finished 33 points of top spot.

i don't think that is a fair summation of what people are talking about in terms of style.

Jiminez isn't being considered a classier Doherty. Its not about lumping the ball 70yards and hoping it sticks. Its about having a central striker that can occupy defenders, bully them a bit and has a nose for getting on the end of chances in the box.

Chelsea don't play hoof it football when Giroud is up front. Inter don't play it with Lukaku - United shouldn't have played it with Lukaku.

Jiminez is also very good on the ball. His link play is a strength. He may not be as fluid as Martial can be, but shouldn't cast him as a beanpole up front.

IMO it would be similar to Kane, for example. A proper centre forward - its not like Spurs play hoof ball to him.
    Apologies, I should have made it clearer. I don't think everyone who is happy with being linked to Jiminez is looking to revert to hoof ball. I'd be delighted to see him join myself.

It looks like the link has led to a bit of chat about a Giroud like number 9 who can help us in games where we need a plan B to bypass a high press though. This I don't quite agree on but maybe I'm misunderstanding what some are saying.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

its the wolves part that I can't work out.

But I just can't see Wolves being willing to sell for a fee that would be justifiable.

I've not kept up massively with Wolves but it strikes me part of their model was that Mendes moved players there to put them in the window, and then move them to bigger clubs if said clubs come along.

Ideally for Wolves, that means turning a decent profit too.

But given his age, Wolves can't really look to make much of a profit off him. No one will pay 80m for a 29 year old striker.

The player may want the move; he'd probably get a massive wage bump and be playing in higher profile games (especially with CL next year).

The agent may want the move; big payday for him in he can orchestrate the transfer.

Mayhaps Wolves could be in a position where, in order to keep Mendes happy, they'd have to let Jimenez go a bit cheaper. Within a year or two, his value will drop too.

A quick glance through google says Mendes is also Paulinho's agent. So maybe he's pulling the strings a bit, and Wolves have to keep him happy in a bid to keep that well producing?

Got 17 goals in the EPL this season, that is not bad at all.

17 league goals this season. And 6 assists. Thats a pretty good record imo for a club that finished outside the top 6.
    Wouldn't accuse him of just showing up against smaller teams either. He scored against; Liverpool, Man city, Spurs, Arsenal (would need to check though if many were penalties).

But yes, the fee being mentioned is just nuts.

There are more reports flying around saying Juve are going to make a bid close to £70M :eek:

• Advertisement

I would have thought the same regarding wolves, mendes and buying/selling players.

But we've not see it. Neves is still there and doesn't look to be going anywhere. Traore the same. Mountinho the same. Jonny, Jota etc. Even Cody, Doherty etc. They aren't a selling club, or at least there is precious little evidence of it.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I've not kept up massively with Wolves but it strikes me part of their model was that Mendes moved players there to put them in the window, and then move them to bigger clubs if said clubs come along.

Ideally for Wolves, that means turning a decent profit too.

But given his age, Wolves can't really look to make much of a profit off him. No one will pay 80m for a 29 year old striker.

The player may want the move; he'd probably get a massive wage bump and be playing in higher profile games (especially with CL next year).

The agent may want the move; big payday for him in he can orchestrate the transfer.

Mayhaps Wolves could be in a position where, in order to keep Mendes happy, they'd have to let Jimenez go a bit cheaper. Within a year or two, his value will drop too.

A quick glance through google says Mendes is also Paulinho's agent. So maybe he's pulling the strings a bit, and Wolves have to keep him happy in a bid to keep that well producing?

except Juve who spent 100m on a 32 year old :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

The latest rumour is this Gabriel guy from Lille. His Youtube highlights look good. Left footed centre back who’s strong in the air and looks to have a good eye for a pass. That’s two left sided centre backs on our rumour radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

https://twitter.com/UnitedStandMUFC/status/1288838294223167492

Not sure its 100% accurate but its not far off and just goes to show the hard work Lindelof has put in. He's our best CB imo, Maguire is prone to too many howlers.

Lindelof problems have always been in the air, and Maguire strength is the air so technically they should be a very good foil for each other. Maybe next season they will continue to develop the partnership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Not sure its 100% accurate but its not far off and just goes to show the hard work Lindelof has put in. He's our best CB imo, Maguire is prone to too many howlers.

He's been dribbled past 5 times going by most of the Stat websites ,

Is that good or bad iv don't know

• Advertisement

He's been dribbled past 5 times going by most of the Stat websites ,

Is that good or bad iv don't know

it makes sense in the context of conceding the least goals from open play.

set pieces bad in defence and attack.

in defence, who is there? maguire, pogba, matic. no one else outstanding.

in attack, its the same. 10th in the league for headers. VDV has the same as utd combined.

granted, they have 2 full backs who can cross the ball. utd, not so much.

Disagree. Lindelof will have a howler in the air basically every match. Very poor under a high ball.

The bournmouth goal that Maguire gets pelters for came from Lindelof missing his header, Maguire covering for him on the initial block and then getting megged while rushing to the second ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Disagree. Gets bullied too easily, have a look at the 2nd goal in the Chelsea game, that’s typical Lindelof and that’s why we need a better CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

I doubt we are in for Jimenez. Someone is probably briefing the press that we are to either drum up his cost or for him to get a better deal from Wolves. It's either his agent or the club saying we are interested. If he leaves it will probably be too Juve

billyhead wrote: »
    I doubt we are in for Jimenez. Someone is probably briefing the press that we are to either drum up his cost or for him to get a better deal from Wolves. It's either his agent or the club saying we are interested. If he leaves it will probably be too Juve

mendes has some weird ownership of wolves. he owns the company that has a 20% stake in wolves, something like that, not sure of the exact figures (it could even be 1 more removed, in that he owns the company that owns shares in fosun, that own wolves). he is also agent to a lot of the players.

from his POV it makes sense. he gets his % as agent; and also any dividends paid out on profits, he gets a share of that as well.

i cant see the raul jimenez transfer being a thing, just mendes trying to drum up interest

• Advertisement

GSPfan wrote: »
    Honestly guys I say this every year, but just switch off the knee jerk reactions to every tweet and click bait article. There’ll be daily reports of it being done over the next few weeks by hundreds of people claiming to know something they don’t in the hope they’ll be right by accident.

GSPfan wrote: »
    The latest rumour is this Gabriel guy from Lille. His Youtube highlights look good. Left footed centre back who’s strong in the air and looks to have a good eye for a pass. That’s two left sided centre backs on our rumour radar.

Mind them knees!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

Zeek12 wrote: »
    17 league goals this season. And 6 assists. Thats a pretty good record imo for a club that finished outside the top 6.
    Wouldn't accuse him of just showing up against smaller teams either. He scored against; Liverpool, Man city, Spurs, Arsenal (would need to check though if many were penalties).

But yes, the fee being mentioned is just nuts.

There are more reports flying around saying Juve are going to make a bid close to £70M :eek:

Yeah that's a decent return for the season in fairness. His overall track record for goal scoring isn't amazing though. I guess I can see what he would bring as a different type of option but the price would have to be reasonable. I think much over 40 million and I'd be uneasy with it. He's not someone you're going to build your team around.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

(Julian Maynard) Leverkusen continues negotiations with Monaco to recruit B. Badiashile. The German club are hopeful of completing the transfer, but face competition from Man United (who are already in talks with ASM) and Real Madrid (who have traded with the entourage, as revealed by AS)

Lord TSC wrote: »
    (Julian Maynard) Leverkusen continues negotiations with Monaco to recruit B. Badiashile. The German club are hopeful of completing the transfer, but face competition from Man United (who are already in talks with ASM) and Real Madrid (who have traded with the entourage, as revealed by AS)

Who is ASM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Who is ASM?

AS Monaco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

Who is ASM?

AS Monaco?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Disagree. Lindelof will have a howler in the air basically every match. Very poor under a high ball.

The bournmouth goal that Maguire gets pelters for came from Lindelof missing his header, Maguire covering for him on the initial block and then getting megged while rushing to the second ball.

I agree Lindelofs weak point is in the air. I wouldn't say he has a howler each game, thats ridiculous. Teams just aim to play it over him the same way they aim to play it on the ground behind Maguire so players can run at him, at Leicester they were mainly countering and his job was stay deep and head the ball away, now at Utd he is being asked to venture further forward and often gets caught out.

Maguires been directly responsible for somewhere between 5-7 goals conceded this season, and his playing out from the back would take years off your life. I can't say the same about Lindelof.

I agree Lindelofs weak point is in the air. I wouldn't say he has a howler each game, thats ridiculous. Teams just aim to play it over him the same way they aim to play it on the ground behind Maguire so players can run at him, at Leicester they were mainly countering and his job was stay deep and head the ball away, now at Utd he is being asked to venture further forward and often gets caught out.

Maguires been directly responsible for somewhere between 5-7 goals conceded this season, and his playing out from the back would take years off your life. I can't say the same about Lindelof.

While I take your point on some of Maguire's playing out from the back, the aerial thing with Lindelof is definitely an issue.

CBs must compete aerially in the PL. More than compete, be capable of dominating if you're top 4.
    The number of 50/50 duels Lindelof loses is pretty worrying - and it automatically puts us on the back foot. I don't see that as something that will improve in his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Trey13

Off the top of my head I can think of three goals I'd consider Lindelof directly responsible due to his lack of ability in the air/tracking players. He made a laughable attempt at a header against Bournemouth. He couldn't track Giroud two weeks ago for his goal. Worst of all in my opinion, at home to Palace, he lost a header to Jeffrey Schlupp from a goal kick.. Maguire didn't cover himself in glory for two of those goals, but he was left very exposed due to Lindelof not being able to win a header.
    I think Lindelof is fine for a 3rd choice center back but its a complete misnomer that he is good on the ball. He can't take the ball from the back into midfield. He attempts a lot of long balls which very rarely come off either. I really hope we address the position this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Lindelof problems have always been in the air, and Maguire strength is the air so technically they should be a very good foil for each other. Maybe next season they will continue to develop the partnership.

Honestly, all the criticism of the center backs and the goalkeeper need to be seen through the prism that United only conceded 36 PL goals all season, only bettered by City and Liverpool. Liverpool only conceded 33. Sure, the CBs and GKs have at times been shaky and they each seem to have a clanger in them but its not conceding 3 additional goals that is holding United back from winning the premier league. If transfer budgets are limited, then we'll get more return by spending what we have in attack and midfield.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement