Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20 (Mod Notes Post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Sand wrote: »
    Honestly, all the criticism of the center backs and the goalkeeper need to be seen through the prism that United only conceded 36 PL goals all season, only bettered by City and Liverpool. Liverpool only conceded 33. Sure, the CBs and GKs have at times been shaky and they each seem to have a clanger in them but its not conceding 3 additional goals that is holding United back from winning the premier league. If transfer budgets are limited, then we'll get more return by spending what we have in attack and midfield.

I honestly think VAR has helped us on the goals conceded numbers. Weren't we one of the highest in the league for VAR overturned goals (in our favour)?
    Not saying our defending has been awful, but there's been a backlash against the type of VAR overturns we've seen the last few months.
    And I don't think we'll benefit as much next season.

A few were a bit dodge if I'm being honest. I'm thinking of Chelsea's disallowed goal at Stamford bridge when Fred pushed one of their players into our defender!

The late goal overturned at Everton was a bit fortunate too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Why would we benefit so much this year and not next year?

I think we've had our fair share of decisions that have gone in our favour and others that didn't. If there was some VAR agenda then there were plenty of opportunities for us to benefit more with 50/50 decisions.

Off the top of my head decisions against Everton and two against Sheffield United could have gone the other way.

I think we won't benefit as much next year simply because its clear VAR's interpretation of "clear and obvious error" will have to be relaxed - and as one of the principal beneficiaries of VAR overturn goal against decisions, its going to have an impact on us.
    We had many more overturned goals in our favour - than go against us

The Crystal Palace over-ruled goal a few weeks ago is another one that springs to mind. Very harsh decision imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

PARlance wrote: »

Mind them knees!

You ok hun?

So you think me sharing the latest rumours is the same as people having a panic attack about the latest Sancho tweets?

Aww. You butt hurt about something I said to you? What was it? Talk to me. Use your words.

Edit: Ahhh i just remembered I asked you about the Son transfer stuff you were fantasising about. That was like a week ago. Were you desperate to catch me out on something you decided to create something out of nothing. Jesus. Would you accept a virtual hug as an apology? Didn’t think I had hurt your feelings.

Zeek12 wrote: »
    I think we won't benefit as much next year simply because its clear VAR's interpretation of "clear and obvious error" will have to be relaxed - and as one of the principal beneficiaries of VAR overturn goal against decisions, its going to have an impact on us.
    We had many more overturned goals in our favour - than go against us

The Crystal Palace over-ruled goal a few weeks ago is another one that springs to mind. Very harsh decision imo.
    I can't think of any time we've benefited from the OTT "clear and obvious error" interpretation when it came to not conceding goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Really feel like not going in for Havertz is going to be another big mistake by United in the Aguero, Silva(s)and Hazard mould. I think any price that any team could reasonably afford for a player of his age and talent is going to be a bargain.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I can't think of any time we've benefited from the OTT "clear and obvious error" interpretation when it came to not conceding goals.

I didn't say OTT.
    But now that you mention it.... the Chelsea disallowed goal was kinda ridiculous.

There were a large number of overturned goals in our favour. That's a fact. And a number of them were really borderline.
    Next season it will be different imo. Cant expect Var to bail us out so much.

Liam O wrote: »
    Really feel like not going in for Havertz is going to be another big mistake by United in the Aguero, Silva(s)and Hazard mould. I think any price that any team could reasonably afford for a player of his age and talent is going to be a bargain.

You are criticising United for not getting in a bidding war for a 2nd world class player in one transfer window who will cost an absolute fortune? The fact is United cannot reasonably afford Havertz on top of Sancho and whatever other targets they need. And Sancho is better so I find it hard to be critical of United here at all. That’s just not fair criticism.

Zeek12 wrote: »
    I didn't say OTT.
    But now that you mention it.... the Chelsea disallowed goal was kinda ridiculous.

There were a large number of overturned goals in our favour. That's a fact. And a number of them were really borderline.
    Next season it will be different imo. Cant expect Var to bail us out so much.
    Agree that a few very subjective decisions went our way. All I'm saying is that amending the "clear and obvious error" interpretation could lead to more dissalowed goals and not less.

Was the Chelsea goal on field decision not given as a goal? And VAR overturned it? I don't see how tweaking the "clear and obvious" ruling changes any outcome here. It was just an example of a subjective decision going our way which is just as likely to continue next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

GSPfan wrote: »
    You are criticising United for not getting in a bidding war for a 2nd world class player in one transfer window who will cost an absolute fortune? The fact is United cannot reasonably afford Havertz on top of Sancho and whatever other targets they need. And Sancho is better so I find it hard to be critical of United here at all. That’s just not fair criticism.
    Actually I'm sure the club could afford it. I'd not necessarily agree that Sancho is better. Especially since he'll likely cost a good bit more too.

It's Sancho United want and fair enough, people are happy to spend 50 odd million on Jiminez or 60 odd million on Grealish when it is only a Chris Smalling sale less than the price of Havertz. Getting good players should be the priority for a team who have struggled to unearth real quality in recent years. Having 2 more top class attackers would transform that area and Havertz has shown he can play in 3 positions to a very high level.

Actually I'm sure the club could afford it. I'd not necessarily agree that Sancho is better. Especially since he'll likely cost a good bit more too.

It's Sancho United want and fair enough, people are happy to spend 50 odd million on Jiminez or 60 odd million on Grealish when it is only a Chris Smalling sale less than the price of Havertz. Getting good players should be the priority for a team who have struggled to unearth real quality in recent years. Having 2 more top class attackers would transform that area and Havertz has shown he can play in 3 positions to a very high level.

You’re bending the truth here with the Jimenez thing. I’m pretty sure almost everyone commenting on the Jimenez rumour in here is wondering how we afford it when we are going all in for Sancho and seemingly need a CB and another midfielder.

I completely agree that if money wasn’t an issue then go for it. Go get into a bidding war and get Havertz. But money is an issue and no amount of pretending it isn’t can change that. To criticise United for having owners that bleed the club of money is correct. To criticise the people who run the club for not being able to spend endless amounts of money is not fair because they have limited control on finances. There is a budget.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Abola - Angel Gomes will sign for Lille in the following days and then loaned to Boavista immediately after

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Not sure how you think that Havertz would cost a lot less than Sancho when Leverkusen want €100m for him. You forget who our owners are. They club could afford it, but the Glazers wouldn't sanction it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

We aren't selling Pogba or Bruno so havertz would be tough to justify. Unless we played him essentially as a forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

You ok hun?

So you think me sharing the latest rumours is the same as people having a panic attack about the latest Sancho tweets?

Aww. You butt hurt about something I said to you? What was it? Talk to me. Use your words.

Edit: Ahhh i just remembered I asked you about the Son transfer stuff you were fantasising about. That was like a week ago. Were you desperate to catch me out on something you decided to create something out of nothing. Jesus. Would you accept a virtual hug as an apology? Didn’t think I had hurt your feelings.

You're coming across like you have the mental maturity of a child there.

No I think it's odd and mildly amusing that someone proclaiming to keep calm about transfer gossip is jumping on every tweet and posting it. Maybe it's just me but this thread is normally good for reasoned debate and I jump onto reddit or similar if I want to see all the transfer muppetary.

Far be it from fantasising about Son, I clearly explained that he's a player who I think would be a great addition and just stated that who knows what will happen at Spurs this window. Nothing more or less than that really.

No big conspiracy me being out to "get you". I don't get worked up about such things and welcome most reasoned debate and people questioning what I say.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    You're coming across like you have the mental maturity of a child there.

No I think it's odd and mildly amusing that someone proclaiming to keep calm about transfer gossip is jumping on every tweet and posting it. Maybe it's just me but this thread is normally good for reasoned debate and I jump onto reddit or similar if I want to see all the transfer muppetary.

Far be it from fantasising about Son, I clearly explained that he's a player who I think would be a great addition and just stated that who knows what will happen at Spurs this window. Nothing more or less than that really.

No big conspiracy me being out to "get you". I don't get worked up about such things and welcome most reasoned debate and people questioning what I say.

Ha. What tweet did i post? And you realise my comment about keeping calm was only about the Sancho deal specifically. Look at some of the posts before mine to see why I posted that. I wasn’t telling the whole thread to ignore all transfer gossip. Transfer gossip is the fun part. Believing every tweet from randomers like it’s an official club press release is the problem.

You sat there stewing about me cause I questioned you about Son. Then made a snide comment to try make yourself feel better, and now you’re on a high horse pretending to be above all that while insulting me.

I won’t be making anymore posts about this as I hate when threads get dragged off into personal stuff but when you make a dig expect to get one back. I’ll allow you to have the last word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Honestly, all the criticism of the center backs and the goalkeeper need to be seen through the prism that United only conceded 36 PL goals all season, only bettered by City and Liverpool. Liverpool only conceded 33. Sure, the CBs and GKs have at times been shaky and they each seem to have a clanger in them but its not conceding 3 additional goals that is holding United back from winning the premier league. If transfer budgets are limited, then we'll get more return by spending what we have in attack and midfield.

That’s a fair point. I’ve been critical of 4 of the back 5 for a while but when you look at the stats it does put it in perspective. I do ultimately think there may need to be upgrades made there but, even without looking at your stats above I’d agree money should be spent elsewhere first.

The right hand side would be top of my list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Mod: GSPfan & PARlance cut out the sniping and discuss civilly or not at all.

Any issues you can PM me, do not reply to this on thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Crazy talk today about a swap involving Sanchez, smalling and skriniar. Exactly the kind of crazy talk I can get right on board with

Edit: just seen the mod note above my post, Trigger how long have you been a mod? ;) Best of luck with it, no better man to look after the place as evidenced by how well you looked after that brush for so long.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Crazy talk today about a swap involving Sanchez, smalling and skriniar. Exactly the kind of crazy talk I can get right on board with

That sort of talk gets my transfer muppet senses tingling... though there was talk yesterday of a Skriniar/ndombele swap yesterday

• Advertisement

Edit: just seen the mod note above my post, Dave, how long have you been a mod? ;)

Saw reports during the week Inter wanted Sanchez and Smalling, and yesterday that they were offering Skriniar for N'Dombele at Spurs.

Is he left footede? I know he's cropped up before as a highly rated defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭BurnUp78

Anyone else think if we signed only Sancho it would still be a really good transfer market for us? I know some fringe players will probably leave and will need replacing but if we can keep our starting 11 fit I can't see us not challenging for the top 2.

I’d be happy to see some departures confirmed even if we have to wait a while for incoming players.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Saw reports during the week Inter wanted Sanchez and Smalling, and yesterday that they were offering Skriniar for N'Dombele at Spurs.

Nah he is right footed, but he sometimes plays on the left hand side of the CB pairing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

BurnUp78 wrote: »
    Anyone else think if we signed only Sancho it would still be a really good transfer market for us? I know some fringe players will probably leave and will need replacing but if we can keep our starting 11 fit I can't see us not challenging for the top 2.

Nah I expect a minimum of two players signed, hopefully three.

We are more than one player away from challenging Liverpool and City imo.

Ole made it clear he doesn’t trust the squad as the season ended. He ran the first eleven into the ground, rather than give some players any genuine time.

So, no, Sancho on his own isn’t enough. He needs at least two additional players so he actually has players he’s willing to bring on to change games, and to give his first eleven a rest when needed.

Right footed but has played both rcb and lcb and is a cut above what we have imo.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Good point, I always thought United biggest issue was breaking teams down. Easiest way to play United was to let United have the ball.

Since Bruno arrived, Pogba back, Rashford back and Greenwood firmly part of the premier league team we saw a much more incisive team in attack, building from the back.

Maguire and Lindelof have struggled at times when United's play breaks up and they are caught in transition. This is not a unique problem, City have that issue also. I am not sure if people need to change to reduce that issue of defenders getting exposed or if it should happen less as the team get used to this type of play.

Agreed and that's why I'm so strong on the need for a solid DM to help out when the ball breaks down so that players don't get clear runs at the defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

BurnUp78 wrote: »

Absolutely not. If for no other reason than numbers.
    If most of the players bandied about as being moved on do leave, then we will be short in defence and midfield especially with our injury record.
    I was blathering on yesterday that we would need to be bringing in 4 players this window to bring us significantly nearer the top 2, but at best I can only see 3 coming in, which would keep us in the top 4, but we have a long way to go to close the gap at the top, with the depth and quality of the non XI players, if there is such a thing anymore.
    Bringing in Sancho fixes one problem area, but leaves other areas to deteriate further

• Advertisement

Chelsea with two hamstring injuries after 50 minutes of football today. Really hope we get through the next few weeks unscathed.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The more i watch this cup final, the more I think it's a huge missed opportunity. Neither team look all that great, kind of typical of their form.

Being outthought by Frank Lampard, ffs,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Weepsie wrote: »
    The more i watch this cup final, the more I think it's a huge missed opportunity. Neither team look all that great, kind of typical of their form.

Being outthought by Frank Lampard, ffs,,

More to do with the fact de gea had a shocking game in the semi final

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

bangkok wrote: »
    More to do with the fact de gea had a shocking game in the semi final

Nah. He was bad, but the whole team was dire. Maguire and Williams were absolute muck in that game too. They never looked at the races and that's down to Ole.

Why did previous managers get such sh!t from yourself and others after opportunities like that were passed , but ole, and it's mostly on him, for such a terrible game plan and performance, keeps getting free passes.? This is a bit of a rhetorical question to be honest, as I don't care.

Should have a cup in the bag too as far as I'm concerned

It was a missed opportunity in the sense that the cup was there for the taking. Just as it was when we lost to Everton about 10 years ago.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Nah. He was bad, but the whole team was dire. Maguire and Williams were absolute muck in that game too. They never looked at the races and that's down to Ole.

Why did previous managers get such sh!t from yourself and others after opportunities like that were passed , but ole, and it's mostly on him, for such a terrible game plan and performance, keeps getting free passes.? This is a bit of a rhetorical question to be honest, as I don't care.

Should have a cup in the bag too as far as I'm concerned

Thats nice.

We could still win the europa league and we finished 3rd in the league. Thats all that mattered really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I see Eddie Howe has gone from Bournemouth. Ole must be shytting it. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

It was a missed opportunity in the sense that the cup was there for the taking. Just as it was when we lost to Everton about 10 years ago.

Do you mean 25 years ago?!!

Or am I forgetting an Everton cup final??

Rock77 wrote: »

Id say he means fa cup semi final. Lost to everton on penos. Berba with one of the worst penos ever

• Advertisement

Id say he means fa cup semi final. Lost to everton on penos. Berba with one of the worst penos ever

Oh yeah fair enough.. I’m showing my age!!!!

Spot on. We would have been going for the quadruple that year and Fergie and the team took their eye off the ball while trying to juggle all competitions.

It's disappointing but it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Oh yeah fair enough.. I’m showing my age!!!!

I'd guess you were born in 1977 ;)

I'd guess you were born in 1977 ;)

You would think so but nope! 83

• Any chance of a sneaky bid for Aubameyang

Last year of his contract and I'd imagine he would want CL football

Arsenal possibly stuck for cash

I repeat

From what I heard he doesn't want to move to another English club and Will either stay or go to somewhere like Italy.

Cracking goal and penalty yesterday. I hope martial can reach that level in the coming years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

From what I heard he doesn't want to move to another English club and Will either stay or go to somewhere like Italy.

Cracking goal and penalty yesterday. I hope martial can reach that level in the coming years.

Worst paper rumour of today... We are replacing degea with Schmeichel as ole doesn't think Henderson is ready yet.. I'm sure deano would love that

I literally was thinking the same thing. I haven’t googled it but pretty sure that was 1995. The year Blackburn won the league. We lost out on everything that year.

Then Fergie sold some of the older players and brought in the “class of 92” for the beginning of the 96 season. The rest is history.

Italian press saying Smalling is on his way back.

Roma want to do a 3m loan deal with an obligation to buy next summer for 15m. United want the 18m this summer. Since no deal has been reached, he'll be coming back for now.

Italian press saying Smalling is on his way back.

Roma want to do a 3m loan deal with an obligation to buy next summer for 15m. United want the 18m this summer. Since no deal has been reached, he'll be coming back for now.

If Nathan Ake is 40 million I would assume we can get about 30 for Smalling. That’s considering his age and the fact the Ake fee is inflated.

If Nathan Ake is 40 million I would assume we can get about 30 for Smalling. That’s considering his age and the fact the Ake fee is inflated.

Would be happy to get 18m for smalling. Cant see him going for anything over that

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement