Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20 (Mod Notes Post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The problem with United is with their recruitment, they are constantly overpaying for players who either don't suit their style of play or aren't good enough in the first place or already have better in that position. Their nett spend over the last few years is only second to City, so they've had the money to spend regardless who was the manager. Compared to Liverpool whose nett spend is one of the lowest in the league, but, have a much better recruitment policy of buying players to suit their system and also are not willing to pay over the odds.
    Until United can solve their recruitment problems and appoint a top manager they won't seriously challenge for the title or CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Thanks for letting us know, it's all so clear now :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I say this as someone who wouldn’t cry if Ole went tomorrow.

You can hire the best manager in the world. If Woody was still above them, it won’t matter.

Would Pep do better with us than Ole? Absolutely. But could you imagine him dealing with our recruitment strategy? Pep comes second and gets to the CL semi finals and they count that as a bad season and start giving him another 200m of players.

Conte looks an incredible manager but imagine how he’d be acting right now if this was the summer window being delivered to him.

Ole could be improved upon. And I think quite easily. And if he gets no transfers, and continues with his lack of trust in the squad, I reckon he’ll do well to be with us by this time next year. He’s one key injury away from a mid table battle.

But without someone at the top willing to get a top level RW in (that we’ve needed for a decade), or who is willing to aggressively back a manager on the back of a successful season, winning a fight for top four is the best we can hope for.

Sigh. This topic makes me depressed....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I say this as someone who wouldn’t cry if Ole went tomorrow.

You can hire the best manager in the world. If Woody was still above them, it won’t matter.

Would Pep do better with us than Ole? Absolutely. But could you imagine him dealing with our recruitment strategy? Pep comes second and gets to the CL semi finals and they count that as a bad season and start giving him another 200m of players.

Conte looks an incredible manager but imagine how he’d be acting right now if this was the summer window being delivered to him.

Ole could be improved upon. And I think quite easily. And if he gets no transfers, and continues with his lack of trust in the squad, I reckon he’ll do well to be with us by this time next year. He’s one key injury away from a mid table battle.

But without someone at the top willing to get a top level RW in (that we’ve needed for a decade), or who is willing to aggressively back a manager on the back of a successful season, winning a fight for top four is the best we can hope for.

Sigh. This topic makes me depressed....

Why do you think pep would do better than ole?

Pep has the best squad in the league by a mile and they finished 18 points behind liverpool. They got knocked out of the champions league by lyon and knocked out of fa cup by arsenal.

Ole has beaten pep home and away this season. There is no evidence to suggest he would do a better job than ole is doing with worse players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

bangkok wrote: »
    I cant believe i was the only one to pick Mbappe as one of their 3 dream signings!!

I know, I expected Reus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Thanks for letting us know, it's all so clear now :)

Who is this directed at?

Harry Maguire free to return to the uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Pep has the best squad in the league by a mile and they finished 18 points behind liverpool. They got knocked out of the champions league by lyon and knocked out of fa cup by arsenal.

Ole has beaten pep home and away this season. There is no evidence to suggest he would do a better job than ole is doing with worse players

Why do you only mention last season

Pep is one of the greatest managers of all time and would be wanted by most clubs in the world

Ole is the united manager because he is a club legend and Fernandes and if sacked by United would struggle to get another job in the league

I mean you cant actually be serious I refuse to believe you are because its ridiculous

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Why do you only mention last season

Pep is one of the greatest managers of all time and would be wanted by most clubs in the world

Ole is the united manager because he is a club legend and Fernandes and if sacked by United would struggle to get another job in the league

I mean you cant actually be serious I refuse to believe you are because its ridiculous

Im sure ole would have won a champions league with a team that includes messi xavi and iniesta as would most managers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Are you actually for real?!

Even just using you're limited example of last season (which is dumb) Pep finished ahead of Ole in the league. Pep also won the League Cup so just using the restricted time period you mentioned Pep did better than Ole.

I don't even like Pep as a manager but jesus christ he's undoubtedly 100 levels above Ole as a manager. Just absolutely ridiculous statement once again trying to defend Ole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Im sure ole would have won a champions league with a team that includes messi xavi and iniesta as would most managers

Are you saying you would rather Ole in charge than Pep?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Would he though? Seeing how he's managed the Utd squad there's every chance he would have marginalised David Villa, Eric Abidal or whoever he decided he didn't want to use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Your not sure you at all because he would never have been in the position to do so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Pretty much Every manager who has managed Barca, Bayern or city in the last 10 years has won a league. I would love to see Pep manage a club that doesn’t cater to his every whim and isn’t the top dog of its league before and after he joins. I think Pep would fail at United like every other manager (that’s possibly even one of the reasons he didn’t take our job back in 2013 was because he knew it was a basket case and would affect his legacy). Pep only takes on obviously winnable projects.

But I don’t think it’s right to say Ole is as good a manager. Oles proven nothing yet and has achieved nothing in his managerial career. Maybe if he was managing any of the clubs Pep has he would get one of those token titles but right now there’s no comparison.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Your not sure you at all because he would never have been in the position to do so

Pep only managed barca as he played for them, same as ole with utd, same as lampard with chelsea, same as zidane with madrid, same as pirlo with juventus etc etc

Pep was lucky that he was managing the greatest club side in history with one of the best players in history. He went to bayern and flopped in the champions league and so far he has flopped in the champions league with city.

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    Pretty much Every manager who has managed Barca, Bayern or city in the last 10 years has won a league. I would love to see Pep manage a club that doesn’t cater to his every whim and isn’t the top dog of its league before and after he joins. I think Pep would fail at United like every other manager (that’s possibly even one of the reasons he didn’t take our job back in 2013 was because he knew it was a basket case and would affect his legacy). Pep only takes on obviously winnable projects.

But I don’t think it’s right to say Ole is as good a manager. Oles proven nothing yet and has achieved nothing in his managerial career. Maybe if he was managing any of the clubs Pep has he would get one of those token titles but right now there’s no comparison.

I never said anywhere ole is as good a manager..

NITRO95 wrote: »
    Would he though? Seeing how he's managed the Utd squad there's every chance he would have marginalised David Villa, Eric Abidal or whoever he decided he didn't want to use

Like pep did with zlatan, etoo and toure??

So when you say
    what did you mean?

Drumpot wrote: »
    So when you say what did you mean?

To copy exactly what you said...

I think Pep would fail at United like every other manager (that’s possibly even one of the reasons he didn’t take our job back in 2013 was because he knew it was a basket case and would affect his legacy). Pep only takes on obviously winnable projects.

To copy exactly what you said...

I think Pep would fail at United like every other manager (that’s possibly even one of the reasons he didn’t take our job back in 2013 was because he knew it was a basket case and would affect his legacy). Pep only takes on obviously winnable projects.

mAtdKr5EBwq4.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

Signing Bruno saved Ole, at least from the fans turning ultimately on him. He is an ideal manager from the boards pov. He won't complain too much when he is inevitably left short in the transfer window, the media like him and he will never rock the boat too much because he knows he is incredibly fortunate to have been given the job in the first place.

Lampard is in a slightly similar position at Chelsea, but I actually think he has a far better chance to succeed than Ole, mainly because his club are willing to back him adequately.

Utd need a better manager, but more importantly we need a better structure behind the scenes. This has been the case for years and is still the case today.

There is no genuine title winning ambition anymore at this club. Lots of lip service, "missing out" on World class targets for one reason or another, "Utd are always interested in the words best players" etc.. . While the current regime are in charge I don't think we'll win another title. We'll just muddle along, scrapping for top 4, an occasional 3rd place, maybe a domestic cup here and there. Eventually the fans will be content enough with that and the owners know it only too well.

Maybe I'm just an unrelenting pessimist, we'll see I suppose.

Quandary wrote: »
    Signing Bruno saved Ole, at least from the fans turning ultimately on him. He is an ideal manager from the boards pov. He won't complain too much when he is inevitably left short in the transfer window, the media like him and he will never rock the boat too much because he knows he is incredibly fortunate to have been given the job in the first place.

Lampard is in a slightly similar position at Chelsea, but I actually think he has a far better chance to succeed than Ole, mainly because his club are willing to back him adequately.

Utd need a better manager, but more importantly we need a better structure behind the scenes. This has been the case for years and is still the case today.

There is no genuine title winning ambition anymore at this club. Lots of lip service, "missing out" on World class targets for one reason or another, "Utd are always interested in the words best players" etc.. . While the current regime are in charge I don't think we'll win another title. We'll just muddle along, scrapping for top 4, an occasional 3rd place, maybe a domestic cup here and there. Eventually the fans will be content enough with that and the owners know it only too well.

I’m with you on that.

I’ve said it before that I’d be ok with the club struggling badly if it forced proper change (whether to owners or structural change). Let’s say we get Poch, he gets 200 mil and then he gets us into top 4. That’s it then, that’s the level of our owners ambition and they pull the plug or ease up on spending. I think every United fan here knows this is exactly what will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He cant even win a Europa league never mind a CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Quandary wrote: »

Not sure if it's fair to say Ole won't be backed like Lampard,

First full season Ole spent close to 200 million
    Even if Lampard signs Chiwell he's still below that and that's without United buying anyone yet this season

Also the world best players don't actully tend to sign for any English clubs,
    the most high profile players to sign for any English club int the last few years is still Pogba, Liverpool won the league and there biggest signing in termd of world class when they got him is probably Allison, at a push Fabhino

Even Pep at City hasn't signed anyone you'd count as top bracket in there respective position when they arrived

But I do agree he would not rock the boat and also United could do better,

They have the makings of a really good team at the moment,

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

United have been screaming screaming out for a right winger for years now. Ivan Perisic was close to coming in with Jose and it would have been a good move and really hoped it was going to go through. He's an excellent player and I think he'd have been a good acquisition althought I can't say for sure that right side is his best side but he'd have been better than what is there and what was needed for the last few seasons easily on the right.

Now, just wondering what people would think of having Gareth Bale for a season?

His injury record has been a concern but he's been injury free for the majority of the season gone and fit to play.

This Sancho thing is dragging out as usual with United transfers as he's 2 years left on his contract so ball really is in Dortmunds court. So signing Bale would fill in a gap for a season. Madrid really do need to get him out of there. United have paid loanees wages ridiculously like how they paid most of Sanchez last year for him playing at Inter, could United not pull something similar in getting a player in considerating they're position with the player? Although they probably want to get rid of him permanently.

Also, could see if Sancho has another season like he did and whether he's worth the money he'd be priced at with only a year left on his contract?

Not sure if it's fair to say Ole won't be backed like Lampard,

First full season Ole spent close to 200 million
    Even if Lampard signs Chiwell he's still below that and that's without United buying anyone yet this season

Also the world best players don't actully tend to sign for any English clubs,
    the most high profile players to sign for any English club int the last few years is still Pogba, Liverpool won the league and there biggest signing in termd of world class when they got him is probably Allison, at a push Fabhino

Even Pep at City hasn't signed anyone you'd count as top bracket in there respective position when they arrived

But I do agree he would not rock the boat and also United could do better,

They have the makings of a really good team at the moment,

You could argue that the season United signed Dalot and Fred was comparable with the season Chelsea had a transfer ban and only signed Kovavic. Not just that Lukaku was Sold and A lot of senior players were let go (sanchez, Young, Valencia, Herrera , smalling) and not exactly replaced with the kind of quality we need for a strong squad.

We banked a lot on Greenwood, imagine if he had struggled to take the step up. Rashford was injured for months along with Pogba and we had nothing to offer as an alternative. A desperation Ighalo loan and a Fernandes Hail Mary stooped us from finishing in the 50 point range.

Now regardless of manager, what can any coach do with what squad with an injured rashford and injured Pogba before Fernandes signed? That’s what Ole was given to work with this season by the club. You can argue another manager might get a bit more then Ole but is it enough? The squad is what’s been supplied to the manager, is that squad good enough? No it’s clearly not.

I appreciate you don’t keep the manager just because the squad isn’t good enough but what’s the use in hiring and firing managers if you aren’t going to give them the tools to meet the targets you set? Poch comes into United, needs at least 5-8 quality additions to get us up to a standard needed to challange for our top two targets, we all know he won’t get that sort of support. Sure champions league can be won by clubs who get a good run but United shouldn’t be targeting getting lucky.

So in a weird sense I’m ok with Ole being around until I feel the club has sorted its sh*t out to be able to get the most out of a top manager.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod: say no more on it either. This is not the Pep thread. There is one if you want to go deep into talking about him.

For yourself to note, the constant decisions to reply to posters who have a more negative view on United matters is beyond tedious at this stage. Please allow others to have their views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

United have been screaming screaming out for a right winger for years now. Ivan Perisic was close to coming in with Jose and it would have been a good move and really hoped it was going to go through. He's an excellent player and I think he'd have been a good acquisition althought I can't say for sure that right side is his best side but he'd have been better than what is there and what was needed for the last few seasons easily on the right.

His injury record has been a concern but he's been injury free for the majority of the season gone and fit to play.

This Sancho thing is dragging out as usual with United transfers as he's 2 years left on his contract so ball really is in Dortmunds court. So signing Bale would fill in a gap for a season.t?

The perisic seal was all but done by all accounts. Ed wanted to pay 5million less then apparently and inter basically told them to cop on and stop trying to change things last minute.

He has a great season, brilliant world cup, they revisit it and inter up their price.

Jose apparently wanted Maguire a whole year earlier. Too expensive apparently. Paid more a year later.

Bruno was wanted last summer. Wait and see. Then haggled again last minute and I think they only went for him in the end due to Pogba and rashfords injuries.

I get the club needs sound financial management, but all too often there's tales (and that's all they may be) of ed or someone just trying to be a little bit too clever for their own good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Just seems to be a regular enough transfer window for Utd so far,

Huffing and puffing and getting no where

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Just seems to be a regular enough transfer window for Utd so far,

Huffing and puffing and getting no where

Like a fat man on a rocking horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

GSPfan wrote: »
    I am “calling out” journalists for the way they try provoke people into a reaction by shouting at them as they walk down the street.

And it is nothing at all. It’s a fight. Happens all the time. He isn’t held to a higher standard because he’s famous. He’s not a politician he’s a football player. He’s not claiming to be anything other than a footballer. He’s a youngfella (a young man) who had a scrap in a bar on holidays. Shocking!

Scrapping in a bar at the age of 27 is embarrassing maybe justified if his sister was harmed but there's nothing normal about grown men getting drunk and getting into scraps.

I say this as a 27 year old who's gone on plenty 2 piss ups in Greece at a much younger age and not gotten into any fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

This Sancho thing is dragging out as usual with United transfers as he's 2 years left on his contract so ball really is in Dortmunds court. So signing Bale would fill in a gap for a season. Madrid really do need to get him out of there. United have paid loanees wages ridiculously like how they paid most of Sanchez last year for him playing at Inter, could United not pull something similar in getting a player in considerating they're position with the player? Although they probably want to get rid of him permanently.

Also, could see if Sancho has another season like he did and whether he's worth the money he'd be priced at with only a year left on his contract?

Re Bale, jaysus no.

Sanchez has to be the last time we blow massive money on a past it, former brilliant player. Now if we could get him with no obligation to buy for about 100k a week then hell yeah but for the money it would cost, no way in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Re Bale, jaysus no.

Sanchez has to be the last time we blow massive money on a past it, former brilliant player. Now if we could get him with no obligation to buy for about 100k a week then hell yeah but for the money it would cost, no way in hell.

This is why I said for a year and since we loaned out players and paid massive chunks of their wages even though they're not even playing for the club. If we were to get Bale for a season with Madrid paying a chunk of the wages, by that time, Sancho would have another season under his belt and we could see whether he can repeat the season he's had. He'd also be cheaper as his contract would be down to the last year. It's a lot of ifs but Bale for a season could be good for Madrid, United and himself. United desperately need a proper right winger.

Romeo Agresti: Conte is likely to leave Inter. He can take a break and would like to coach Manchester United in the future.

Guy is Tier 1 for Juventus news, and is pretty reliable for the Italian league overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Romeo Agresti: Conte is likely to leave Inter. He can take a break and would like to coach Manchester United in the future.

Guy is Tier 1 for Juventus news, and is pretty reliable for the Italian league overall.

Oh I don't know about that appointment, yes a far better manager than Ole but not a fan of his style of play but he'll defiantly win us stuff I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Explains why he wanted all of our cast offs. He was playing 4D chess.

This is why I said for a year and since we loaned out players and paid massive chunks of their wages even though they're not even playing for the club. If we were to get Bale for a season with Madrid paying a chunk of the wages, by that time, Sancho would have another season under his belt and we could see whether he can repeat the season he's had. He'd also be cheaper as his contract would be down to the last year. It's a lot of ifs but Bale for a season could be good for Madrid, United and himself. United desperately need a proper right winger.

Bale doesn't even wanna play football anymore. There'd be no point in even considering him.

Think he's made mention of wanting the United job previously, still just looks like a bit tacked on to the end that is pretty irrelevant though. Conte could be leaving inter, yep, he could.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Think he's made mention of wanting the United job previously, still just looks like a bit tacked on to the end that is pretty irrelevant though. Conte could be leaving inter, yep, he could.

He has been pissed with them since he joined them, but I feel like he would pull his hair out with our transfer strategy

Mirror saying United are abandoning the move for Sancho this summer and will try again next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭KH25

Mirror saying United are abandoning the move for Sancho this summer and will try again next summer.

This is where you would hope the club have done the groundwork on other targets....

KH25 wrote: »
    This is where you would hope the club have done the groundwork on other targets....

No idea on the mirrors credibility but if we are trying next summer it doesn't sound like we have anything else lined up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Re Bale, jaysus no.

100k a week is still crazy money. That's 20k per round of golf he will be playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Good god no, hiring conte at utd would be 5 steps backwards. We finally have a manager that understands united and plays good football that's happy to go with youth and not expensive short term solutions.

• Advertisement

No idea on the mirrors credibility but if we are trying next summer it doesn't sound like we have anything else lined up

I would hope its not credible at all (whether we are giving up on him this summer or not I don't actually care very much) but to say okay, we'll try again next year sure when his fee is likely to be higher since there will be more clubs in for him is just such a stupid plan.

Move on to other targets, ACT like a big club at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Fabrizio Romano has confirmed Gabrielle to arsenal... Cant help but feel frustrated that united didn't push for him at that price

I remember when the theory last summer was that Daniel James was the stop gap for the season so we could get Sancho next summer. Now it’s let’s wait another summer. Are our scouting department that poor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I’ve no doubt we’ll sign some players over the next month but they might not meet expectations, especially if the Sancho deal doesn’t happen but I still think it’s likely we’ll get that done in the end.

Little bit of transfer muppetry.

Sanchos cousin has posted this on Instagram.

[url]

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement