Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20 (Mod Notes Post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Kinda mad how Moyes nearly got Kroos, Thiago and Fabregas that summer window but instead we ended up panic buying Fellaini :mad:

Thiago to Liverpool worries me :o

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1297636211939516421?s=20

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

MattS1 wrote: »
    Very strange that he starts in a final and they won't give him the money / contract.
    What? He wants to leave because he's been there 8 years, won everything multiple times and wants to play in another league before he retires.

It's got nothing at all to do with the contract terms. He turned down an improved contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

What? He wants to leave because he's been there 8 years, won everything multiple times and wants to play in another league before he retires.

It's got nothing at all to do with the contract terms. He turned down an improved contract.

Didn't realise he was 29! Makes more sense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Taken from Sky Sports website and there papers transfer gossip

"Arsenal are among the clubs to have checked on Thiago Alcantara but need Bayern Munich to drop their £23m asking price"

https://www.skysports.com/transfer/news/12691/12054744/papers-liverpool-and-man-city-to-battle-for-wolves-forward-adama-traore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Jesus Christ, the absolute dirt of that like. As if a 23million valuation is putting anyone off. Honestly an English football journalist has got to have the easiest job on the planet.

Edit: just to be sure to be sure, not a pop at you in any way OP

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Be surprised if he ends up anywhere else but liverpool or city if he comes to the premier league.

We cant offer him much except a boat load of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Thought Herrera put in a very solid shift for PSG tonight....miss him from Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I suspect the reason there haven’t been any signings is because there’s no money made available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I suspect the reason there haven’t been any signings is because there’s no money made available.

Yep. I believe it too. Surely there’s some money but I bet there ain’t a lot.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again that I don’t think Woody wants new players on the wage bill until as close to the start of the season as possible. Imagine if Sancho signed 5 weeks ago on 200k a week. That’d be a million paid to him for being on holiday.

I’m not saying we defo will sign Sancho but we will give a final push in the next few weeks and that’ll be the real test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We’ve got almost 4 weeks until the first game, I won’t be worried until we are sitting here with a week to go with no signings.

There’s plenty of time, even for Ed Woodward to work with.

• Advertisement

We’ve got almost 4 weeks until the first game, I won’t be worried until we are sitting here with a week to go with no signings.

Ya we aren't the bones of 9 years without a RW what could go wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Thing is we need 3 players at a minimum.

I'm optimistic we will buy players, the worry is the quality.

I really hope it's not a copy of 2018 summer though or else it's hard feel optimistic.

Thing is we need 3 players at a minimum.

I'm optimistic we will buy players, the worry is the quality.

I really hope it's not a copy of 2018 summer though or else it's hard feel optimistic.

Once ole is in charge imo we are never going to out perform the teams ability

Even with holes in the first team we should be walking top 4 currently.

If we do actually sign those 3 players I feel we would easily get too 3 and people would see it as better but it would in all likely hood be an underperforming squad

We have seen it already we people accepting of "improvement" under ole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

We have seen it already we people accepting of "improvement" under ole

Yup. Its odd to me.

Before Bruno joined we were in the midst of our worst PL campaign in history.

We finished the season on our second lowest points total in PL history.

Three semi final defeats.

No trophies won.

But sure "Rashy" and the boys are smiling, that's whats important.

Of course they a bloody smiling, they are getting paid more than they would at any other club and don't have to earn it. There is also little fear of being dropped, no wonder they can laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Young lad tells me we're not buying anyone cos we're telling BD we need to structure the Sancho deal over a few seasons so we cant be seen to be buying anyone until this is done

Might be so crazy and amateurish thinking it might just be true :) it is Ed Woodward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Also likely that they are leaving it as close to the new season so it they get Sancho then, we won't have time for more purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Watching Bayern last night - the gap in quality and attitude between them and us is huge. We are miles away from that level unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

There could also be a possibility that Ed wants to leave the signing of Sancho until late in the window to avoid paying his weekly wages when the season hasn't started yet. Sure he's getting his preseason fitness done with Dortmund aswell. Win Win all round😁

Daz_ wrote: »
    Watching Bayern last night - the gap in quality and attitude between them and us is huge. We are miles away from that level unfortunately

Just goes to show what a club with ambition can do. Sack an underperforming manager a third of the way through the season and still manage to do a treble.

Can you imagine Ole being kept at any other big club across Europe after that season? He should have been booted before bruno saved his bacon but we are now stuck with him for at least another 6 months.

Alot of the players clearly have talent and could flourish under a manager that had a clue.

Off field incompetency reigns supreme at the club currently.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think people will tie themselves up in knots to convince themselves there's reasons for Woody's actions (/inactions).

Reality is we're Woody's vanity project. He doesn't care about signing squad players with no name value. He wants the big names, and wants to do it himself so he can bask in the "Big Dick Ed" memes and think he's great.

It's the same reason he hired the Sun guy as a PR assistant. It's not purely about money; if it was, a DoF would probably be making better signings for less money.

Ed wants the glory.

I'd also worry he knows he can avoid paying 170m this summer on new players, and just wait and pay 10m mid-season to replace Ole and see if a new manager coming in can get Top 4 again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I think people will tie themselves up in knots to convince themselves there's reasons for Woody's actions (/inactions).

Reality is we're Woody's vanity project. He doesn't care about signing squad players with no name value. He wants the big names, and wants to do it himself so he can bask in the "Big Dick Ed" memes and think he's great.

It's the same reason he hired the Sun guy as a PR assistant. It's not purely about money; if it was, a DoF would probably be making better signings for less money.

Ed wants the glory.

I'd also worry he knows he can avoid paying 170m this summer on new players, and just wait and pay 10m mid-season to replace Ole and see if a new manager coming in can get Top 4 again.

We will get Gareth Bale on deadline day. Typical Woodie signing.

billyhead wrote: »
    We will get Gareth Bale on deadline day. Typical Woodie signing.

He was linked to Spurs a few days ago, so I doubt even that :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

Depending on where they are coming from, a player may have to isolate for 2 weeks after arriving to the UK, so that would delay getting him into the team.
    More than ever, signings need to be made as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Just goes to show what a club with ambition can do. Sack an underperforming manager a third of the way through the season and still manage to do a treble.

Can you imagine Ole being kept at any other big club across Europe after that season? He should have been booted before bruno saved his bacon but we are now stuck with him for at least another 6 months.

Alot of the players clearly have talent and could flourish under a manager that had a clue.

Off field incompetency reigns supreme at the club currently.

players like who? most of them are already playing the best football of their careers, Rashford Martial and now Greenwood, Bruno playing his best football at the highest level he has ever played at, Pogba probably playing his most consistent football since he joined, Fred has played his best football since he has joined, luke shaw excellent before he got injured etc etc etc

Ole has got us to a 3rd place finish in the league, the absolute best we could have hoped for this season. he had us playing without doubt our best football since fergie left, for the first time in years he had us playing like a proper football team with something to build on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

bangkok wrote: »
    players like who? most of them are already playing the best football of their careers, Rashford Martial and now Greenwood, Bruno playing his best football at the highest level he has ever played at, Pogba probably playing his most consistent football since he joined, Fred has played his best football since he has joined, luke shaw excellent before he got injured etc etc etc

Ole has got us to a 3rd place finish in the league, the absolute best we could have hoped for this season. he had us playing without doubt our best football since fergie left, for the first time in years he had us playing like a proper football team with something to build on.

Our best football but previous 2 managers had us winning trophies and also finish top 4.

Also is a mediocre manager. Always has been, always will be.

He's also been responsible for the worst football since Ferguson. From March last year until End of January we were absolutely sh!t. Worse than under David Moyes levels of shi!t

Panic buying Bruno because of injuries has served as a smokescreen to be honest. Because we're still not particularly good.

But it's okay because he best Pep and Klopp couldn't get past him.

Good football lately, but that fixture list post lockdown was as handy as could ever be hopes for. 4/ 5 of the bottom 6 were played.

Got to semis in Europa. We had the easiest European draw I think we have ever had up until the semis.

Pogba most consistent? He has been good in patches, absolute turd in a run of games between the Palace game and the Lask game (I know he didn't play them all)

Rashford has more goals than ever, but he has played better before Ole. Martial also has more goals but he's played this well before.

Fred was only in the door when Jose was sacked and he had said he would need time, which is exactly what happened.

I want Ed gone, I want glaziers gone, but I also want ole gone.

Don't bother coming back with some "happy squad" blah blah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

And if you were a Bayern fan, you'd have been looking at that appointment as a PE teacher at the time...

Fans are Flickle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭NITRO95

This is Comical Ali level of propaganda. I know you don't like Jose but come on you can't possibly believe all of that
    Weepsie wrote: »
    Our best football but previous 2 managers had us winning trophies and also finish top 4.

He's also been responsible for the worst football since Ferguson. From March last year until End of January we were absolutely sh!t. Worse than under David Moyes levels of shi!t

Panic buying Bruno because of injuries has served as a smokescreen to be honest. Because we're still not particularly good.

Good football lately, but that fixture list post lockdown was as handy as could ever be hopes for. 4/ 5 of the bottom 6 were played.

Got to semis in Europa. We had the easiest European draw I think we have ever had up until the semis.

Pogba most consistent? He has been good in patches, absolute turd in a run of games between the Palace game and the Lask game (I know he didn't play them all)

Rashford has more goals than ever, but he has played better before Ole. Martial also has more goals but he's played this well before.

Fred was only in the door when Jose was sacked and he had said he would need time, which is exactly what happened.

SPOT ON! Couldn't agree more with everything you said

we need 3 priority signings this summer to close the gap next year.

A new centre back to replace Lindelof

Another centre midfield player who has lots of energy and can pick a pass

A new exciting right winger who has lots of pace

So we have all these players, playing the best football of their careers, yet pre-bruno they were mired in the absolute worst season the club has had in the modern era, perhaps your expectations are lower than mine but a couple of players that are seasoned pro's at this stage, earning hundreds of thousands of pounds a week, actually have a decent run of form, Im supposed to somehow applaud that? As for shoehorning an 18 year old into an argument for playing the best football of his career, go way outta that will ya.

Where did I mention anything about expecting a title challenge?

The fact remains we lost three semi finals this season. Ole's inept in game management directly contributed to that. Ole's inept squad management left us dangerously short of options for the first half of the season, resulted in Rashford getting a serious injury before the lockdown and led to the squad running on fumes and staggering over the line to a top 3 finish. He waited til 4 minutes from the end of a Europa semi final when we were down a goal before he made changes. Rashford has had an absolute mare since the lockdown aside from one or two games yet Ole has persisted with him. Sevilla were on the ascendancy in the game and he left someone like Matic on the bench, a player who had been imperious in any game he played post lockdown.

Fred was very good pre lockdown, as was McT, yet both were dropped post lockdown. Shaw cannot be relied on. Pogba was the same as he has always been, consistently inconsistent and when Bruno started to tire Pogbas performances went back in the toilet.

Leicesters complete and utter capitulation has more to do with us finishing where we did than anything Ole did.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    And if you were a Bayern fan, you'd have been looking at that appointment as a PE teacher at the time...

Fans are Flickle.

He was a risky appointment and he delivered, happy days.

Ole was a risky appointment and he has delivered nothing.

Do you think if he went on to have a season like Ole had he would be kept?

He would in me hat.

Fans want success. If something clearly isn't working then changes need to happen. Jose had the team finishing on 81 points and winning trophies yet the same lads that were clamoring for him to be sacked are happy with a 66 point finish and winning nothing. Jose wasn't working out due to not being back and he was rightly sacked when he was, Ole should have been sacked before Bruno saved him.

I've said it before and I will say it again, we will win nothing under Ole and will not be within an asses roar of challenging for the big trophies.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I understand why people would not believe in Ole as a top class manager. United would not be the place to learn how to be one either so his mistakes are always going to be highlighted. Much of it is personal opinion rather than a fact so it is not something I wish to disagree with anyone on.

For me it is important to not lose sight of the actual job he has had to do and the state of United generally due to how poorly the club was ran in recent times.

Last week we were talking about Mata or Ighalo coming on v Sevilla or in recent weeks wondering why Ole did not mix his team more. Well a quick look at the benches last night, compared to United's tell us all we need to know.

Serabia, Gueye, Veratti, Draxler, Icardi, Diallo, Coutinho, Pavard, Hernandez, Tolisso, Perisic, Sule, Martinez.....

The two best sides in the Champions League (based on achieving the final) had stacked squads with few injuries. United don't even have a stacked first 11.

United need a Sancho in the first team but they also need three of four for the bench/squad and I have little faith in United's hierarchy to get that done. Ole developing options like Williams is important to fill out the squad but the drop off is too severe from Shaw (who many would replace!) to Williams or from Rashford to James is going to undermine United's chances of success in the future also.

He would in me hat.

Fans want success. If something clearly isn't working then changes need to happen. Jose had the team finishing on 81 points and winning trophies yet the same lads that were clamoring for him to be sacked are happy with a 66 point finish and winning nothing. Jose wasn't working out due to not being back and he was rightly sacked when he was, Ole should have been sacked before Bruno saved him.

I've said it before and I will say it again, we will win nothing under Ole and will not be within an asses roar of challenging for the big trophies.

bayern have one of the best squads in europe with the best striker right now in world football. they have won the last 8 leagues in a row and will probably win the league next season regardless of who the manager is

Juventus have won the last 9 league championships and have just appointed a manager with ZERO managerial experience but i would put a bet on that they will win a 10th league easily this season.

Ole could manage either Bayern or Juve no problem and win a league title.

we hit rock bottom under jose, club was in an awful state, Ole came in and has steadied the ship, has cleared out deadwood and has signed wisely.

also to say he will win nothing is nonsense as we were close to winning a trophy this season only for de geas blunders

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

He would in me hat.

Just to mention neither LVG or Jose achieved top 4 and win of a trophy in a season while at United.

It is important to consider when talking about league position and winning trophies that neither did both in a season or were anywhere close to winning the League or Champions League (I am assuming the League Cup, FA Cup or Europa league do not count as major sine United were close to the finals).

I'll play devils advocate here a bit.

Ole's main goal this season would have been top 4. Or at least, that was the minimum expected. He delivered what would have been the most important thing at the start of the season.

There's a Forbes article doing the rounds today, that sums it up. Ole's end of the bargain was to get top 4, and he did that in the end. So now it's Woodward's turn to fulfill his end of it.

Now, there's still glaring weaknesses, both in the manager and in the squad. One of those need to be addressed. And given Ole fulfilled his end of the deal, it's time to back him. Heavily.

Do I think Ole is world class? No. Do I think a better manager would have this entire squad hitting top 4 more comfortably? Absolutely. I think you put a better manager in, and it's not going till the last day of the season.

At the same time, he absolutely did deliver what was expected of him.

But he needs the players brought in now, especially when it's obvious his weakness is he doesn't trust his bench anymore. He's done enough to be given another player or two. And it's pretty obvious he WANTS at least two if not three or four players.

Instead, we're back to two summers ago, where Woodward isn't showing any belief in Ole. And we're going to waste another season because Woodward is spinning the wheels again.

I think if Ole gets no transfers, then we're screwed. And if it happens, I also think we may as well write off any meaningful trophies for the forseeable future. Because a lack of transfers this summer would be a clear signal of intent as to what ambitions Woody has for the club.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Last week we were talking about Mata or Ighalo coming on v Sevilla or in recent weeks wondering why Ole did not mix his team more. Well a quick look at the benches last night, compared to United's tell us all we need to know.

Serabia, Gueye, Veratti, Draxler, Icardi, Diallo, Coutinho, Pavard, Hernandez, Tolisso, Perisic, Sule, Martinez.....

The two best sides in the Champions League (based on achieving the final) had stacked squads with few injuries. United don't even have a stacked first 11.

Why are we comparing ourselves to Bayern and PSG though?

It was Sevilla that beat us. Their bench wasn't stacked.

Yet their manager threw on a striker who hadn't scored for months in an attempt to change the game and it worked.

For the games we're struggling with, while a stacked bench would be nice, our bench was still adequate enough.

That PSG and Bayern have stacked benches absolutely doesn't excuse that Ole refused to bring on the likes of Ighalo, a striker that he not only signed in January on loan, but got an extension for a few weeks back too. He showed zero faith in a striker he himself brought in weeks earlier.

Compare us to the clubs we've been struggling against. Don't hand wave away the awful decisions he made vs Sevilla by saying PSG and Bayern have stacked benches....

Woodward is absolutely the main issue. His transfers, and lack there of, is a disaster that continually damages us.

But Ole's bench is nowhere near as bad as some want to tell us. He had options. Maybe not "stacked" ones. But they were options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ole could manage either Bayern or Juve no problem and win a league title.

That's quite the claim,. I can use the same flawed logic to point out that Ole didn't win the league with Molde in his last 3 seasons there (twice runner up though). New manager in the door and they won it at a canter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Even if we sack Ole at this stage I wonder who we could get to replace him.

How many actual top managers would be interested when they KNOW the squad they start with WILL be the squad they have to use aside from maybe one or two new signings and constant gaping holes in the squad.

The actual manager in our current set up doesnt actually have much control and they are severely hamstrung in what they can actually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

What pains me is the teams around us have gone out and done business early, addressing their weakness and strengthening. We are floundering around with press releases and making a haimes of our #1 target. The sooner Ed fecks off the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

If Ole isn't backed heavily in this transfer Window he would be better of resigning for his own good because he will be sacked by Xmas at the latest.
    What new manager is going to come in without the promise of 200mill this window ??
    We are being ****ed over the last 7 years and it's not going to change any time soon

pjohnson wrote: »

How many actual top managers would be interested when they KNOW the squad they start with WILL be the squad they have to use aside from maybe one or two new signings and constant gaping holes in the squad.

The actual manager in our current set up doesnt actually have much control and they are severely hamstrung in what they can actually do.

Conte has already begun batting eyelids at us.

Allegri seemed to be doing similar in the press over the last few months.

Poch didn't see to show any interest in going for jobs until it became clear we'd got top 4 and Ole was going nowhere, then suddenly was linking himself to the Barca job.

Not saying any would be a good fit for us, in terms of play style. But I think the reality is we actually have a very good squad that needs two or three players. A new manager coming in would probably get them quick enough; we tend to back new managers initially.

A top level manager would probably be confident enough that they'd get top 4 easily which is a minimum (maybe only) requirement to keep your job. And if you get sacked, you get a big payday and everyone blames Woodward.

I don't think we'd have issues attracting a top level manager tbh.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »

Id be happy to see Poch get a shot tbh. He had Spurs playing some lovely football and considering he didn't have much to spend at all then he would be used to dealing with restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

The Sancho deal not happening doesn't surprise or upset me, BvB were playing hardball and we can go elsewhere or try get Sancho cheaper next year.

The lack of movement on other targets though is unforgivable. We always only seem to be moving on one target at a time and then focus on the next, at least from the outside thats how it seems, there could have been contact made with other agents but we don't know.

The comparisons with Bayern are pointless, no English club can bully the domestic transfer market like Bayern can. Neymar and Mbappe cost more than Bayern Munich's entire 23-man squad against Lyon. They seem able to buy the top talent from rival teams for low prices and thats just impossible in the EPL.

Chelsea were always going to buy more this season as they could not buy in the last window. Getting those potential five players in shows they have moved very well in the market, which is annoying when we are floundering around for our first.

i said it the other day and i will say it again, the transfer window is open until Oct 5th. We have loads of time to do deals. I will start to worry if there are no deals done though in the next 2-3 weeks, we are clearly waiting to see what can be done on the Sancho deal...

We have the champions league to look forward to next season, we have the prospect of watching the best young player in Europe (hopefully live next year if fans are back), we have potentially the best midfield in the league from the start of next season (pogba, matic, Fernandes), there are lots of things to be excited about for next season. Constant negativity in here does no one any good. Ole is here next year whether you want him or not so its probably best just to get on with it, if he fails next year he will be sacked, if not we will have had a good season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Conte has already begun batting eyelids at us.

Allegri seemed to be doing similar in the press over the last few months.

Poch didn't see to show any interest in going for jobs until it became clear we'd got top 4 and Ole was going nowhere, then suddenly was linking himself to the Barca job.

Not saying any would be a good fit for us, in terms of play style. But I think the reality is we actually have a very good squad that needs two or three players. A new manager coming in would probably get them quick enough; we tend to back new managers initially.

A top level manager would probably be confident enough that they'd get top 4 easily which is a minimum (maybe only) requirement to keep your job. And if you get sacked, you get a big payday and everyone blames Woodward.

I don't think we'd have issues attracting a top level manager tbh.

Fair point. Minimal damage to their own reputation and a nice bank boost so we have that still going for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

He would in me hat.

He finished one season on 81 points.
    But the rot had set in well before the end of that season imo (the abysmal exit from the CL, losing to basement teams like West Brom, Brighton, etc. A spineless FA Cup final performance.)

He also finished the previous season in 6th place. Hardly stellar stuff.

And when lost his job round half-way through his 3rd season, we were back in 6th again and in a mess with a dispirited dressing room and player/manager rows playing out in public.

I have some doubts about how far Ole can take us too - but its easy to sugar coat the past. We should keep some perspective.
    The LVG & Mourinho reigns have left a damaging legacy, on everything from transfer policy, to colossal waste of budgets & resources to man management methods.

Ole is putting right a lot of the negatives he inherited. Which needed to be done.
    Ultimately he will prove too inexperienced imo to move us on to the next level. Above being just a Top 4 team.
    But Top 4 isn't a terrible place to be for the moment. People have short memories. Things in January looked very bleak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Dave0301

also to say he will win nothing is nonsense as we were close to winning a trophy this season only for de geas blunders

Losing 3-1 in a semi final and getting outplayed in said game is close to winning a trophy these days?

We finished 3rd in the league...does that making us close to being league champions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Weepsie wrote: »

Worst football since Fergie? Panic buying Bruno? I'm all for valid criticism but some of this just comes across as hateful for the sake of it.

Yeah after the new manager bounce Ole had a slump/bad run or whatever you call it. Moyes and Jose had similar runs, difference is Jose had that in his 3rd season after spending 400m on players.

Ole had to ship out a multitude of deadwood, get the reduced squad playing better attacking football (there was always going to be effect on league position while this had to happen) and try add some new signings via the Woodward/Glaziers mystery transfer procedure. You just ignore all of this and the impact it undoubtedly had.

During this time Ole has us unbeaten since the 1st Feb in the league, 14 games unbeaten, he also got us to two semi finals and secured us 3rd place when we were at one stage 15points off Leicester iirc and 6th in the table. Jose was let go when he was in a similar position, i had no faith in him to turn it around and I didn't think Ole could either but somehow he did.

Reading your post it makes out he did nothing of note, saying Bruno was a panic buy just shows your happy to make unwarranted attacks. I'm still not convinced on Ole either but I give credit wheres it due, he managed to turn it around since the return.

Your post is all negativity and zero context.

You really think we sign Bruno if Rashford doesn't suffer a season ending injury?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

You really think we sign Bruno if Rashford doesn't suffer a season ending injury?

You really think that would be the managers fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,639 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

i said it the other day and i will say it again, the transfer window is open until Oct 5th. We have loads of time to do deals. I will start to worry if there are no deals done though in the next 2-3 weeks, we are clearly waiting to see what can be done on the Sancho deal...

We have the champions league to look forward to next season, we have the prospect of watching the best young player in Europe (hopefully live next year if fans are back), we have potentially the best midfield in the league from the start of next season (pogba, matic, Fernandes), there are lots of things to be excited about for next season. Constant negativity in here does no one any good. Ole is here next year whether you want him or not so its probably best just to get on with it, if he fails next year he will be sacked, if not we will have had a good season.

The Transfer window is indeed open until the 5th Oct, but the season starts before that, and then there is a potential quarantine period, which at the moment there is an exemption for elite athletes, but that could change any day..

If we start the season poorly, we will be playing catch up and then trying to implement new signings into a low on confidence team.. the signings should be made ASAP to allow them to integrate with the squad and bed in before the season starts..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement