Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20 (Mod Notes Post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Sweet Jaysus, saying Ole hasn't improved us is bad enough is one thing, when there is evidence of improvement since the restart...

...but comparing us to Arsenal and making an argument Arteta is making more progress is hilarious.

Hard to believe Arsenal finished 10 points behind us in 8th reading some of those posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Who says we have to compare ourselves to anyone. We should monitor and track our own performance and improvements, there are plenty of metrics to pick from in house without looking at others.

Securing 3rd and being back in the UCL is a big one, so is an unbeaten run of 14 games to finish out the season. These are tangible and solid indicators to gauge improvement. Ole finding his best 11 is also a bonus. These are better markers than speculating about whether Arteta can cut the mustard for Arsenal.

Ole has done extremely well to get us third, I'm still not convinced if he can be a top level tactical manager ala Pep or Klopp given the players he wants but can he do it another way more similar to Fergie's style? that seems to be what hes going for anyway but I'd rather concentrate on that then see what other managers are up to.

Ole has made some progress, it will be really disappointing if he doesn't get the players he feels he needs for next season, he's already given a few sound bites saying we need to improve, hopefully the club back him.

That is just not what we do for our managers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

[Sky Sports] Donny van de Beek awaits Premier League offers but is happy at Ajax

Hard to believe Arsenal finished 10 points behind us in 8th reading some of those posts.

Wow we finished a whole 10 points ahead after adding nearly 200 million to the squad this year to a team on free fall for half of it whose. Manager is only in the job half a season.

If anything it shows we were only a few poor results away from a horrendous season

Dont see the big deal discussing potential rivals and no one is bigging up arsenal like people are suggesting just they seem. Like they are going about there business in a good way and could easily be back challenging for top 4 6 next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Still a bit soon to be comparing Arteta and Ole. But considering the squad he has I think he's done pretty well so far, especially winning the FA Cup.

I'm sure he'd have Arsenal right up there if he was given €200m+ to improve his squad like Ole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Who says we have to compare ourselves to anyone. We should monitor and track our own performance and improvements, there are plenty of metrics to pick from in house without looking at others.

Securing 3rd and being back in the UCL is a big one, so is an unbeaten run of 14 games to finish out the season. These are tangible and solid indicators to gauge improvement. Ole finding his best 11 is also a bonus. These are better markers than speculating about whether Arteta can cut the mustard for Arsenal.

Ole has done extremely well to get us third, I'm still not convinced if he can be a top level tactical manager ala Pep or Klopp given the players he wants but can he do it another way more similar to Fergie's style? that seems to be what hes going for anyway but I'd rather concentrate on that then see what other managers are up to.

Ole has made some progress, it will be really disappointing if he doesn't get the players he feels he needs for next season, he's already given a few sound bites saying we need to improve, hopefully the club back him.

Fair enough, don’t mind that.

I take that on board and next time somebody try’s compare say Jose time or compare anybody else Manager or club we can just find it Laughable and call it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Robson99 wrote: »
    If Ole isn't backed heavily in this transfer Window he would be better of resigning for his own good because he will be sacked by Xmas at the latest.
    What new manager is going to come in without the promise of 200mill this window ??
    We are being ****ed over the last 7 years and it's not going to change any time soon

The time for a dignified resignation is well and truly gone.

Also, why would he in fairness? He will never be in this position again as a manager in terms of the money he will earn until he is sacked and the severance package he will get. He may as well hang on in there till the chop comes at this stage, I can't blame him for that one.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Someone tell Chelsea that Covid has made all the clubs poor. Not sure they understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Sancho ruled out next year apparently, hope fully we've got other targets in place
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/premierleague/12476731/united-sancho-transfer-off-wages/
    wish we were like chelsea and spread the cash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

If Sancho doesn't sign this summer he never will, no chance other clubs wont be in for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I love Ole, he's a legend but i can't stand him as our manager, so naive in his subsitutions, his team management is a joke, as in playing guys until they can play no more then get injured (Rashford), Playing guys who are so off form it's untrue (Rashford again) and totally ignoring others who have been playing well (Matic/Fred/Mct).

Let's not kid ourselves, only reason we're 4th is because Leicester folded completely.

Will they get rid of Ole, not a hope, he's a yes man, if no transfers are forthcoming he's not the type to kick off, he'll just get on with it and we'll be back to fighting for 6th before we know it.

The problem with the club is the Glazers, they need to be got rid off and then maybe we'll start improving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

If that wage table is accurate.

DDG our top paid player has been shaky as fook for the last 2 seasons.

Pogba our second highest paid player has been overall average at best and will likely get a new increased contract shortly.

Martial little better than a 1 in 3 league goal scorer is our third highest paid player.

Rashford less than 1 in 3 league goal scorer in fourth.

All of these contracts were signed before this season when the latter two both had their best seasons for us.

Over £50 million a year wages on those 4 alone.

And some people wonder why selling clubs take the piss out of us.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

If that wage table is accurate.

DDG our top paid player has been shaky as fook for the last 2 seasons.

Pogba our second highest paid player has been overall average at best and will likely get a new increased contract shortly.

Martial little better than a 1 in 3 league goal scorer is our third highest paid player.

Rashford less than 1 in 3 league goal scorer in fourth.

All of these contracts were signed before this season when the latter two both had their best seasons for us.

Over £50 million a year wages on those 4 alone.

And some people wonder why selling clubs take the piss out of us.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Why with the negatives all the time?

This season both rashford and martial scored just over 1 in 2 the league, both had an excellent season

bangkok wrote: »

This season both rashford and martial scored just over 1 in 2 the league, both had an excellent season

Do you think those players deserved that kind of remuneration based on what they had contributed to the club this time last year ie when they were all on or given those contracts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

I wouldn't call a player basically breaking his back from being over played and then being muck (understandably) after the hiatus an excellent season

Kaveh Solhekol (Sky Sports): It is too early to judge Ed Woodward on transfers. He is working very hard to secure Ole's targets right now. It's wrong for United fans to judge him and compare him to Chelsea's Marina Granovskaia, there are still four to five weeks left in the transfer window.

If Ed is pulling strings to get some puff pieces going, it shows the complaints are registering :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I absolutely hate the Glazer ownership. Is it 15 years of this? Christ. I feel like it will never end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Fair enough, don’t mind that.

I take that on board and next time somebody try’s compare say Jose time or compare anybody else Manager or club we can just find it Laughable and call it out.

Ok well you can if you like. I found the comparison to Arteta strange, not that all comparisons are. I mean I think the majority on here would prefer our 3rd place finish to an 8th place one with an FA cup and no UCL.

We have gaps in the squad and a lot of work to do, Ole and the team will be rightly focused on that. What others do is out of our hands. Chelsea are buying two windows worth of players and have an unused windows worth of money to spend. Our lack of movement is in stark contrast, I'd rather we sort that out quickly as the progress Lampard and Ole have shown in the league is a much closer comparison, with Ole in the end just edging it but Chelsea's buying power has given them a big advantage for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Kaveh Solhekol (Sky Sports): It is too early to judge Ed Woodward on transfers. He is working very hard to secure Ole's targets right now. It's wrong for United fans to judge him and compare him to Chelsea's Marina Granovskaia, there are still four to five weeks left in the transfer window.

If Ed is pulling strings to get some puff pieces going, it shows the complaints are registering :P

We can only hope this is true. I hope Ed is working on multiple targets and it specifically says Ole's targets. It will be interesting to see who Ole has targeted. Brooks would indicate its more of the young British and desire to fight for the cause like Dan James and Sancho is more of a suggested long term link form the scouting department.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

GSPfan wrote: »
    I absolutely hate the Glazer ownership. Is it 15 years of this? Christ. I feel like it will never end.

What age are the Glazers? Hopefully pushing on a bit

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ok well you can if you like. I found the comparison to Arteta strange, not that all comparisons are. I mean I think the majority on here would prefer our 3rd place finish to an 8th place one with an FA cup and no UCL.

We have gaps in the squad and a lot of work to do, Ole and the team will be rightly focused on that. What others do is out of our hands. Chelsea are buying two windows worth of players and have an unused windows worth of money to spend. Our lack of movement is in stark contrast, I'd rather we sort that out quickly as the progress Lampard and Ole have shown in the league is a much closer comparison, with Ole in the end just edging it but Chelsea's buying power has given them a big advantage for next season.

I suppose the comparison is in how they both came into the jobs. Mid season, with the squads apparently unmotivated and falling out with previous manager. Board of club in a bit of chaos and still living in the shadow of the legacy of a supremely gifted manager who was single handedly keeping the show on the road.

Their respective records for their first halve seasons are remarkable similar. Arsenal didn't get the bounce that United did under Ole, they remained somewhat inconcistent while implemennting a different style of play, whereas united started like a train and then their form went off a cliff from the end of March until Februrary of this year.

So, winning a trophy inside his first 6 months, I'd say he's so far done a better job.

Arsenal were in a worse state too, and had been for some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

MattS1 wrote: »
    What age are the Glazers? Hopefully pushing on a bit

Nah Malcolm is dead of course, but his kids will be around for as long as they want tbh. They have a diverse portfolio of investments and United is a cash cow, no reason for them to sell it.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Nah Malcolm is dead of course, but his kids will be around for as long as they want tbh. They have a diverse portfolio of investments and United is a cash cow, no reason for them to sell it.

Up to the fans to get them out so

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

MattS1 wrote: »
    Up to the fans to get them out so

Realisitcally the only way for that to happen is to stop watching them, stop supporting them, stop talking about them online. Stop paying attention to them in anyway.

And it needs to be all in. No exception.

Someone complained about the scandalous prices of jerseys, but only after they bought a pair of them. There's more than enough people out there who want glazers out, but also want to support the team in someway so the cash will keep coming so long as that's the case.

They'll find ways to cut costs first before selling up anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Watching a few fan vlogs on Utd, seems to to be a lot of angry fans, some even think that me might not sign anyone because the Glazers think we will get 4th anyways, hope this isn't the case.
    A point that stuck with me is that if we buy a player from a non green list country. do they have to quarantine for 2 weeks, bit of a worry as the league starting in just under a month, hope this make us on the english league as we'll be ripped off for a nowhere utd class Brooks., etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

votecounts wrote: »
    Watching a few fan vlogs on Utd, seems to to be a lot of angry fans, some even think that me might not sign anyone because the Glazers think we will get 4th anyways, hope this isn't the case.
    A point that stuck with me is that if we buy a player from a non green list country. do they have to quarantine for 2 weeks, bit of a worry as the league starting in just under a month, hope this make us on the english league as we'll be ripped off for a nowhere utd class Brooks., etc

Surely just test em and once negative , said player is good to go

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

Weepsie wrote: »
    Realisitcally the only way for that to happen is to stop watching them, stop supporting them, stop talking about them online. Stop paying attention to them in anyway.

And it needs to be all in. No exception.

Someone complained about the scandalous prices of jerseys, but only after they bought a pair of them. There's more than enough people out there who want glazers out, but also want to support the team in someway so the cash will keep coming so long as that's the case.

They'll find ways to cut costs first before selling up anyway.

The coming recession could tell a lot. If the Glazers lose enough in the US then they may be tempted to let Utd go for a stupid fee and having the debt covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Yes, please don't compare him to someone who is doing an excellent job and competent at the transfer side of things to make poor Ed look bad. :pac:

Enjoyed this!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

This piece by David Conn is the only one anyone should read to see where the issues really lie.

Even with the debt that is in place and the focus on providing the Glazers with a dividend there is still no excuse for making such a mess of the transfer market.

The loyalty to Woodward is what is really crippling player recruitment. a head of recruitment, not a DOF is what is needed. Ole can handle the running of the club with assistants a la Fergie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

The loyalty to Woodward is what is really crippling player recruitment.

Thats the annoying thing, it's not like we haven't spent money, we've spent loads but so poorly... they could so easiliy get the best of both worlds by spending and making money if it was just better planned and Ed just handles the marketing side.

• Advertisement

The coming recession could tell a lot. If the Glazers lose enough in the US then they may be tempted to let Utd go for a stupid fee and having the debt covered.

The problem with that idea is, who the hell could afford to buy us?

The Saudis?

No thanks, Id rather keep the current owners than see that lot get their claws into the club.

Julez wrote: »
    Thats the annoying thing, it's not like we haven't spent money, we've spent loads but so poorly... they could so easiliy get the best of both worlds by spending and making money if it was just better planned and Ed just handles the marketing side.

But Ed doesn't want that. And Ed makes enough money that the Glaziers don't really care on how he handles the football side of things.

We could easily have a DoF in who would actually make the club more money through better purchasing and selling.

But we're Ed's vanity project. And he won't give that up. He wants to buy the players, he wants the glory that comes with it. He will never give that up of his own accord.

He knows the fans want a DoF; it's why he floats the idea every few months when stuff goes wrong. He knows it appeases the fans.

He just also knows fans won't actually kick up a fuss in any real damaging way. The closest we've come was when fans started singing a song at OT, and he immediately went and hired a new PR guy from the Sun and quashed that immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

someone please correct me if i am wrong, but isnt ed woodward no longer in charge of our transfer recruitment from around April of this year??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Julez wrote: »

There has been scouts and coaches who have left and suggested that the scouting system is a bit of a disaster. Don’t have links but I’ve seen them over the years.

Woodward needs only buy Sancho and it will appease a significant part of the fanbase. “Sure he spent x on y” is a regular excuse trotted out in his defence.

Firstly , the glazers never stretch their budget. They don’t have to do this and will not stretch the budget to win leagues or champions leagues because that’s not a cost effective target. Especially when there is 20 points to make up. Real Madrid can afford to leave 1million a week on the bench, United has the same financial muscle as them, why do fans think United has to sell before they can replace these sort of players?

Secondly, there’s been no obvious joined up recruitment Strategy the last 7 years. Buy players because they are available (mata, Sanchez) , buy big name players (di Maria , Pogba) , buy young players with potential (Shaw, martial) and extend contracts of players because it’s cheaper . Quite often player recruiting and retention has nothing to do with managers.

Thirdly , no joined up managerial strategy. “The man United way” means absolutely nothing on any level. It’s a bullsh*t phrase peddled to try and give the impression that there is a target that may not involve success on field. You couldn’t pick a more diverse bunch of managers then Moyes - LVG - Jose - Ole.

Fourthly, there is no plan. Ole was hired because they ran out of ideas , he was cheap and easy to get in so they could sack Jose for having the audacity to be ambitious.

Fifthly is the unthinkable, that Woodward and the glazers have made so much out of the club they are just using it as a play thing. Not that they don’t want to make money but their hubris blinds them, they can’t accept they are terrible on the football side of things. Less likely to be completely the case, but they only need it to remain in the top 4 and with the finances/resources that can be thrown into the team it’s actually incomprehensible that the club wouldn’t be in the top 4. The evidence in favour of this out there suggestion is that we have prob only spent less then Man City since 2013 and we can’t be assured of a top 4. In any other business scenario the top person (Woodward) would be replaced but that has not happened here. There has been no structural Change within the club and Woodward has relied on feeding bullsh*t stories to fans to protect him from proper scrutiny.

Bottom line is that the glazers don’t care about success because they don’t need it. They’ve made as much as they need to and don’t need to stretch the club too much. Every year or 2 they just need a shock and awe, the odd big name signing and fans will do feck all. The reason we have such a high wage bill is because of the mismanagement of the club. We have to pay high wages because top players are sacrificing success To join a club that can’t guarantee them success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

someone please correct me if i am wrong, but isnt ed woodward no longer in charge of our transfer recruitment from around April of this year??

Sounds like something Ed Woodward would say.

If he isn't, it seems like he forgot to delegate it to anyone.

Would make sense given the lack of news.

[Henry Winter in reply to Ally criticising Woodward and Judge]: give them time, Ally. Still think they should go for Sancho plus Henderson will put pressure on De Gea.

If he isn't, it seems like he forgot to delegate it to anyone.

Would make sense given the lack of news.

Odds on director of football story popping up if there is unrest by fans?

And then odds United make some opportunistic signing if there is a lot of unrest.

They couldn’t be more transparent in treating us fans like muppets if they tried. They mugging us all and treating us like mugs at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Technically its correct that he supposedly(I use this as no one really knows for sure and the media closest to United still refer to him) doesn't do negotiations etc, that is left to Judge to do. But.. he still has the final say and signs off on any transfers & contracts. So you could say he is the main person in all of it and can definitely have criticism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Drumpot wrote: »
    There has been scouts and coaches who have left and suggested that the scouting system is a bit of a disaster. Don’t have links but I’ve seen them over the years.

Woodward needs only buy Sancho and it will appease a significant part of the fanbase. “Sure he spent x on y” is a regular excuse trotted out in his defence.

Firstly , the glazers never stretch their budget. They don’t have to do this and will not stretch the budget to win leagues or champions leagues because that’s not a cost effective target. Especially when there is 20 points to make up. Real Madrid can afford to leave 1million a week on the bench, United has the same financial muscle as them, why do fans think United has to sell before they can replace these sort of players?

Secondly, there’s been no obvious joined up recruitment Strategy the last 7 years. Buy players because they are available (mata, Sanchez) , buy big name players (di Maria , Pogba) , buy young players with potential (Shaw, martial) and extend contracts of players because it’s cheaper . Quite often player recruiting and retention has nothing to do with managers.

Thirdly , no joined up managerial strategy. “The man United way” means absolutely nothing on any level. It’s a bullsh*t phrase peddled to try and give the impression that there is a target that may not involve success on field. You couldn’t pick a more diverse bunch of managers then Moyes - LVG - Jose - Ole.

Fourthly, there is no plan. Ole was hired because they ran out of ideas , he was cheap and easy to get in so they could sack Jose for having the audacity to be ambitious.

Fifthly is the unthinkable, that Woodward and the glazers have made so much out of the club they are just using it as a play thing. Not that they don’t want to make money but their hubris blinds them, they can’t accept they are terrible on the football side of things. Less likely to be completely the case, but they only need it to remain in the top 4 and with the finances/resources that can be thrown into the team it’s actually incomprehensible that the club wouldn’t be in the top 4. The evidence in favour of this out there suggestion is that we have prob only spent less then Man City since 2013 and we can’t be assured of a top 4. In any other business scenario the top person (Woodward) would be replaced but that has not happened here. There has been no structural Change within the club and Woodward has relied on feeding bullsh*t stories to fans to protect him from proper scrutiny.

There is a lot of truth in this Drumpot.

One point I would come back on is recruitment strategy. Our plan of chasing "big names" during the LVG & Mourinho reigns more often than not proved really unsuccessful. So many of those signings flopped.

But the last 12 months did indicate a change of recruitment direction:
    RB: for years a problem position, with an ageing Valencia filling in. AWB is signed.
    CB: So many issues there with Jones & Rojo always injured and Smalling inconsistent - Maguire is signed.
    A lack of consistent creative players in midfield - Fernandes is signed.

Those three players have not only improved the team significantly, there is for the first time in years a noticeable policy in our player recruitment. Identify key weaknesses in the squad, and address them.
    If they don't continue to progress in that policy, it's just half measures. The logical next step is to address RW and probably a DM, and it should be done this summer.

But we have about 5 weeks to wait and see what will be done. It's really frustrating that the club is very slow to move on this; unfortunately we know from the Fernandes and Maguire signings this will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

It’s the same PR structure as every year.

If the fans are happy and the feeling is optimistic like now with the manager then Ed is working hard to secure Ole’s targets.

When things aren’t, then there’s a diverse team of people looking at signings to ensure that no matter who the manager is then the same blueprint for squad development is being followed.

It’s cookie cutter PR basically. Don’t get too caught up in any of it, it’s all spin at the end of the day no matter which side is pedalling the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    It’s the same PR structure as every year.

If the fans are happy and the feeling is optimistic like now with the manager then Ed is working hard to secure Ole’s targets.

When things aren’t, then there’s a diverse team of people looking at signings to ensure that no matter who the manager is then the same blueprint for squad development is being followed.

It’s cookie cutter PR basically. Don’t get too caught up in any of it, it’s all spin at the end of the day no matter which side is pedalling the story.

Exactly. And a week before the end of the window, the same journos will rehash the story about United looking to appoint a DoF, only for it not to be mentioned again til the same point of the next window. Rinse and repeat.

https://twitter.com/marthakelner/status/1298203304846131201?s=20

Maguire’s defence claim two Albanian men approached his sister Daisy, they injected her with something and she immediately fainted. They called their van and asked to be driven to hospital, but driver took them to the police department.

Defence say that when they arrived at police station they were assaulted by officers who kicked Harry on his leg telling him “your career is over”.

The prosecution team say plain clothes police officers intervened to try calm the situation down but the “English men” did not calm down and one of the defendants said “****, **** the police” and one of the defendants punched an officer.

Prosecution allege that once at the police station Harry Maguire said: “Do you know who I am? I am the captain of Manchester United, I am very rich, I can give you money, I can pay you, please let us go”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

This story is so utterly bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What the jaysus?

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/12056223/louis-van-gaal-i-wanted-neymar-sadio-mane-and-ngolo-kante-at-man-utd

LVG

“For the defence, I wanted Sergio Ramos and Mats Hummels, because ours wasn't the strongest in building from the back. Those were my top targets, but we couldn't get any of them. I don't know why, because as the manager I wasn't involved in any negotiations.

"After I left, players like Mahrez and Kanté ended up at Manchester City and Chelsea, while United couldn't get them. I found that very odd."

“I inherited an old team that hadn't been refreshed for some time, and wanted to rejuvenate the squad with players who would bring the same kind of quality," Van Gaal added. "But to get the ones I wanted proved very difficult.

"I met with them [United's hierarchy] in Brussels - clubs often organise talks in foreign cities so the media can't track them down easily. The Glazers and Ed Woodward were there - they asked me about everything, including my vision and how I would want to organise things, and said they would meet my needs for new players.

It surprised me, even though I understand that clubs hold out for the highest fee because they know United are the richest in the world. At the same time, though, if you are the richest, you'd expect to get what you want.

"But it didn't happen: we only got third, fourth or fifth-choice players."

I don’t think anybody will be surprised by these revelations. I wonder if managers like LVG and Jose were promised a lot more (money is no object) before joining and then found it frustrating when the truth of the situation became apparent. In effect Managers are human shields for the lack of ambition of the owners.

Anyone know what the story with our pre-season is? When is it due to start? We're less than a month away from our first game, schedule is crazy!

https://twitter.com/marthakelner/status/1298203304846131201?s=20

Maguire’s defence claim two Albanian men approached his sister Daisy, they injected her with something and she immediately fainted. They called their van and asked to be driven to hospital, but driver took them to the police department.

Defence say that when they arrived at police station they were assaulted by officers who kicked Harry on his leg telling him “your career is over”.

The prosecution team say plain clothes police officers intervened to try calm the situation down but the “English men” did not calm down and one of the defendants said “****, **** the police” and one of the defendants punched an officer.

Prosecution allege that once at the police station Harry Maguire said: “Do you know who I am? I am the captain of Manchester United, I am very rich, I can give you money, I can pay you, please let us go”

This sounds absolute madness.

If true, I can fully understand the reasoning behind Maguire going balistic. I think anyone else would in a similar position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

• Advertisement

sky88 wrote: »

Is this line being used as a stick to beat him with? If the situation is true, you'd be saying anything you can to try and get the whole thing resolved. Surely the drugging this can be easily proved?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement