Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20 (Mod Notes Post #1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

skinny90 wrote: »
    what happens now?

probably pay a fine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭recyclops

bangkok wrote: »
    probably pay a fine?
    If it has an assigned sentence for the crime and he just pays it off anyway How's this different to bribery haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Maximum sentence for bribery there is 3 years in prison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I would of had Maguire down as one of our safer bets in terms of temperament and external extra curricular activities. I wouldn’t be quick to write him off on any level (rememeber rio missed a season!). Obviously we don’t know the full story (getting snippets) but gotta be honest, I wouldn’t be surprised if he is being stiched up.

I remember a couple of lads I knew from school told some mad story of how they ended up in one bar and basically got attacked and stalked until they left the country. Police were no help. These were not a tough bunch of lads and certainly were not the kind of ones who went looking for fights (used to go to school with them and was out a few time’s so knew them well enough).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

Stolen off Twitter.

"To be fair to Harry Maguire at least someone from Man Utd was trying to get a deal done this summer..."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

probably pay a fine?

Well they know who he is now and that he’s very rich, so I guess they can name their price. LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,348 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Drumpot wrote: »
    I would of had Maguire down as one of our safer bets in terms of temperament and external extra curricular activities. I wouldn’t be quick to write him off on any level (rememeber rio missed a season!). Obviously we don’t know the full story (getting snippets) but gotta be honest, I wouldn’t be surprised if he is being stiched up.

I remember a couple of lads I knew from school told some mad story of how they ended up in one bar and basically got attacked and stalked until they left the country. Police were no help. These were not a tough bunch of lads and certainly were not the kind of ones who went looking for fights (used to go to school with them and was out a few time’s so knew them well enough).

i'd be of the same view. a 2 day court case? wonder did harry call any witnesses?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Afaik, it was all downgraded to misdemeanors. It absolutely won't be a prison sentence. He'll be fined and thats it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Conte staying at Inter.

Offer them Lingard, Rojo and Andreas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

21 Month suspended sentence.

Moving very quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

21 Month suspended sentence.

Moving very quick.

May not be allowed go on any lucrative preseason tour now (so long as they happen again) which is hardly ideal.

I'd wonder if brexit and a criminal conviction mean other countries say he can't come in for European games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

no one said she was drugged.. could have been water for all we know

Injected with water and fainted. Seems plausible....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Well they know who he is now and that he’s very rich, so I guess they can name their price. LOL.

Kinda ironic getting charged for repeated bribery but then ultimately having to pay up to avoid jail time.

Surely he loses the captaincy now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Kinda ironic getting charged for repeated bribery but then ultimately having to pay up to avoid jail time.

Surely he loses the captaincy now

Why would he? His sister was attacked ffs. Have you actually read what happened or just the headline?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

His solicitor will appeal the decision. He won't be getting into the States anymore if the sentence holds presuming we ever go on tour their with him in the squad. Apart from that I can't see anything else we as fans should be concerned about.

• Advertisement

MattS1 wrote: »
    Why would he? His sister was attacked ffs. Have you actually read what happened or just the headline?

I have read what's happened. I don't think anyone is blaming Harry for defending his sister IF the rumours of her being stabbed or drugged is true.

But the big eye opener here for me is the fact he's been found guilty of "repeated attempts of bribery" and I don't think the club and Ole will be very happy with that.

Aside from this case, imo he shouldn’t have the captaincy in the first place so the fact that people think he should still have it after this blows my mind

Lord TSC wrote: »
    [Desportes Cuatro] - Man United have started an approach to sign Lionel Messi.

Now pretty much confirmed he's leaving the club, and using a clause in his contract which means he can walk for free. So no transfer fee.

tumblr_oynyiz5VdN1u1ljrzo1_540.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Injected with water and fainted. Seems plausible....

Might have been sparkling water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Now pretty much confirmed he's leaving the club, and using a clause in his contract which means he can walk for free. So no transfer fee.

Think I might have to avoid club news for a month now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭adox

He should be stripped of the captaincy at least.

I’m actually astonished at how quickly it all concluded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

MattS1 wrote: »

Was she? Is there any proof or are we just going to believe twitter?

What we do know is Maguire got himself in a pickle abroad and has been found guilty of aggravated assault, resisting arrest, and repeated attempts of bribery. Nobody else has been arrested bar people from Maguires side.

If you read the defense his team put up it sounds ridiculous. It went from a bar fight to his sister getting stabbed, to her getting injected with a syringe and at one point a van appearing to take her away which would be kidnapping but nobody else has been arrested.

Honestly it sounds like Maguire war drunk and rowdy then got into an altercation either provoked or not and has tried to offer cash to the cops and then has come out with the most bizarre excuses to try be the innocent party but has made the story an even bigger media storm with talks of drugging by Albanians. Its like something a kid would do, just tall tales.

Honestly it looks like at a minimum he's been very naive not to just walk away from whatever was said at the bar but in reality he's made a complete fool out of himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

With any luck Harry Maguire’s English career will be hindered. Focus on United Harry.

If United are going to punish him then the captaincy will probably be taken off him and that should be the end of it.

https://twitter.com/sport_witness/status/1298312985270792195?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It is being reported that Messi has asked to leave Barcelona.

I think theres a better chance of Messi deciding to buy Dundalk and become player/owner of an entire club rather than sign for United.

Anyone believing that Lionel Messi would leave Barcelona to join United needs their head checked.

If Messi goes anywhere else it’ll be back in the arms of Pep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

Looks like we can offer him the captaincy as well now. :cool:

The worst thing about it is that there is a very high chance that Messi could be playing his football in Manchester, just not for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

GSPfan wrote: »
    Anyone believing that Lionel Messi would leave Barcelona to join United needs their head checked.

If Messi goes anywhere else it’ll be back in the arms of Pep.

He would be a better target than Brooks and would sell a few more Jerseys

Messi’s agent will Use United to get him more money wherever he goes.

Messi is leaving Barcelona because it’s in a mess.

This is like what have the Romans ever done for us situation... Asides from a stadium falling apart , many false dawns the last 7 years, worse mess then Barca , a yet to be proven manager , current captain in prison and horrible weather why wouldn’t messi come to United!!!

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »

No, id say the club will fully support him and he will remain captain

We can only offer insane wages and whatever the hell else he wants. Wouldn't signing Messi have massive financial upsides in other areas. Like a new huge influx of supporters, it would after all be possibly the biggest transfer story in football history. I'm sure Ed would figure out no end of ways to make hay from it.

Pep will have his say though. I mean if City get him it will be so sickening.

I’d like to see Messi join Juve just for the fun of seeing the Goats together. Imagine.

If Messi goes anywhere and he still wants to challenge himself then he goes to City. If he wants semi-retirement then he goes to PSG. Only two clubs who could afford him. United can’t afford him and it’s laughable to think he would join United.

I am aware that I don't want to be one of those fans who defends a player simply because he's a United player.

But I think it feels like there's something stinky with the whole case. Mainly that Maguire's case is so absurd, I can't imagine a top level lawyer making it unless it's actually true...

Hopefullly he finds a club soon and ED doesn't waste too much time trying to make it possible.

Its a lot of precious time being wasted on our one transfer at a time policy

I am aware that I don't want to be one of those fans who defends a player simply because he's a United player.

But I think it feels like there's something stinky with the whole case. Mainly that Maguire's case is so absurd, I can't imagine a top level lawyer making it unless it's actually true...

He’s been found guilty in court. He will appeal and we will see what comes of that but as it stands he has been convicted. The club should take the captaincy off him at least imo. Anything else is not a good look for the club.

He’s been found guilty in court. He will appeal and we will see what comes of that but as it stands he has been convicted. The club should take the captaincy off him at least imo. Anything else is not a good luck for the club.

The club have always stood by their players, Keane cantona giggs ferdinand etc maguire will be no different and rightly so

As I’ve said I hope the club strip him of the captaincy.

• Advertisement

Maguires defense team tried to stop the case going ahead so early, and new evidence was submitted two hours before the case started, not nearly enough time to review it, so that part stinks but even then some of the things said from Maguires side are just bizarre.

The taxi drive who took them to the police station instead of the hotel and said the cops are "going to break your legs".

How exactly do we know it was Albanian men that tried to drug Maguires sister outside a crowded bar, well when asked by the Greek public prosecutor how Mr Morley knew the men were Albanian, he replied: 'Because they looked it and had an Albanian nature.' I mean that does not sound like a smart thing to say at all and have on record. Albanians have a certain image in Greece and the defense team have gone after it.

Maguire shouting F*** Greece at the police station? His defense “they would never say ‘**** Greece,’ they love the country, and are keen on the ancient Greek culture.” Its like something a mother would say on the Joe Duffy show.

It went from bar fight to the movie taken with every new statement. Does it really sound believable a random group of Albanian men targeted Maguires sister and the taxi driver and cops were in on it all just to stitch him up and he's innocent. If you leave bias aside and think about it rationally then the answer would have to be no.

CCTV from the bar, a puncture wound to his sisters arm, a toxicology report from her also should be easily obtained to prove their story. I'll be the first to apologies to Maguire if this evidence transpires but I don't think it will.

He'll be grilled over this by the media and it will be meme'd to death and I fear what an Albanian journalist might say if he comes in contact with one but I doubt Harry will be doing PR or any interviews for a long time, the club would be insane to put him in front of a camera. He has massively embarrassed himself it would seem and there is a web of ridiculous stories there for people to quiz him over.

The whole Maguire thing will be forgotten about in a week, he has already been called up to the England squad today, past united players have done much worse and the club have always stuck with them, will be no different for Harry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The whole Maguire thing will be forgotten about in a week, he has already been called up to the England squad today, past united players have done much worse and the club have always stuck with them, will be no different for Harry.

Has anyone been charged and found guilty in a court while at United?

Not saying it hasn't happened just can't recall it?

Cantona?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Cant remember anyone getting a 21 months suspended sentence for being found guilty of repeated bodily harm, attempted bribery, violence against public employees and insult after arrest but maybe I'm forgetting someone. Who tops that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭Enzokk

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1298331454997438465?s=20

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Cant remember anyone getting a 21 months suspended sentence for being found guilty of repeated bodily harm, attempted bribery, violence against public employees and insult after arrest but maybe I'm forgetting someone. Who tops that ?

Has maguire a history of trouble?

I ask because I would of thought it unusual for a person in their late 20s to start getting into bar fights . It’s not impossible of course. When you consider the amount of high footballers (Few) these days in similar trouble , it’s even more surprising.

None of this clears Maguire but there are a lot of odd things about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Didn't Turan shoot a gun in turkey? Not sure what he got

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

The club have always stood by their players, Keane cantona giggs ferdinand etc maguire will be no different and rightly so

Keane and Cantona were different eras, cannot be compared.

Rio missed a drugs test and Giggs rode his brothers wife, while idiotic and distasteful respectively, they cannot be compared.

Our club captain has received a criminal conviction, that is simply unacceptable and I am genuinely flabbergasted that anyone can defend it tbh.

Keane and Cantona were different eras, cannot be compared.

Rio missed a drugs test and Giggs rode his brothers wife, while idiotic and distasteful respectively, they cannot be compared.

Our club captain has received a criminal conviction, that is simply unacceptable and I am genuinely flabbergasted that anyone can defend it tbh.

Really?

he was drunk and got into a fight, its not a big deal imo

cantona got a 2 week jail sentenced reduced to community service

roy keane bailed out of jail twice

ferdinands drug test

keane fighting schmeichel while drunk in hong kong

giggs with the whole think with brother

rooney smoking, drunk, cheating etc

club have stood by all of them and will be maguire no doubt about it

he was on holidays, was drunk and got into a fight. no big deal, the fact the case is over already today tells a lot about it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭jaykay74

he was drunk and got into a fight, its not a big deal imo

cantona got a 2 week jail sentenced reduced to community service

roy keane bailed out of jail twice

ferdinands drug test

keane fighting schmeichel while drunk in hong kong

giggs with the whole think with brother

rooney smoking, drunk, cheating etc

club have stood by all of them and will be maguire no doubt about it

he was on holidays, was drunk and got into a fight. no big deal, the fact the case is over already today tells a lot about it

So thats a No then. Thanks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement