Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20 (Mod Notes Post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Got himself a rest so before start of season

#welldonemaguire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Keane and Cantona were different eras, cannot be compared.

Rio missed a drugs test and Giggs rode his brothers wife, while idiotic and distasteful respectively, they cannot be compared.

Our club captain has received a criminal conviction, that is simply unacceptable and I am genuinely flabbergasted that anyone can defend it tbh.

Reading the reports in media on what happened, I would say what Giggs did was far far worse than what Maguire did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Cant remember anyone getting a 21 months suspended sentence for being found guilty of repeated bodily harm, attempted bribery, violence against public employees and insult after arrest but maybe I'm forgetting someone. Who tops that ?

This thing with maguire means nothing to me once he is available and plays well for United. If he plays well all season and/or scores the winner against Pool nobody here will give a crap either.

This sport has no integrity, a player getting in a bar fight is a nothing incident. There’s a lot worse things for United fans to be worried about and a lot worse things in the sport that are brushed under the carpet. Doesn’t make what happened with Maguire ok, but it shows the disproportionate outrage when it’s the perceived reputation of club or country or league that is threatened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Lionel Messi was done for tax fraud. That rules him out of a move to United. Can’t have two convicts in our squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

This is Messi's wage package at Barcelona according to Football Leaks: 60.395.769 euro basic yearly wages (£988.000 a week), £9.100.000 per year on image rights, £13.000.000 a year on possible bonuses plus signing on & loyalty fee (£120.000.000 over 5 years).

Quite a load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Messi on the move but OGS is our manager. Pigs will fly.

He’ll stay away from the PL unless City go crazy in the market, the PL is too competitive, if he moves and the team he’s in comes 2nd or 3rd it’s a mark on his legacy.

PSG or Juve surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Is anyone else worried by the lack of activity from United so far, I’m watching Chelsea moving fast and building for next season. I’m very worried that we’ll do the usual and leave it to the last minute and rush through panic deals. It would be criminal not to build on the momentum from last season, we will be back to square one if we stand still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Kagawa wrote: »
    Is anyone else worried by the lack of activity from United so far, I’m watching Chelsea moving fast and building for next season. I’m very worried that we’ll do the usual and leave it to the last minute and rush through panic deals. It would be criminal not to build on the momentum from last season, we will be back to square one if we stand still.

Don't worry. We will get Gareth Bale on loan on deadline day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Kagawa wrote: »
    Is anyone else worried by the lack of activity from United so far, I’m watching Chelsea moving fast and building for next season. I’m very worried that we’ll do the usual and leave it to the last minute

Worried? As always, yes.

Surprised? As always, no

When it comes to recruitment, and in particular getting deals done, Manchester United are innefective, inefficient and largely incompetent.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

bangkok wrote: »
    The club have always stood by their players, Keane cantona giggs ferdinand etc maguire will be no different and rightly so

None of them had criminal convictions. Various issues alright, but no convictions.

If this was a Liverpool or Chelsea player people here would be saying he should be booted out of club let alone stripped of captaincy.

They should stand by him in as much as he cost 85million and they have to protect their investment, but he's cocked it big time.

I think he's a fairly ineffective captain anyway. He points and shouts a bit, is a solid old fashioned English centre half but I don't see any proper leadership in him.

McTominay and Fernandes would be better club captains imo.

For all my whinging about Pogba, he's just a social media bore off the pitch.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    None of them had criminal convictions. Various issues alright, but no convictions.

If this was a Liverpool or Chelsea player people here would be saying he should be booted out of club let alone stripped of captaincy.

They should stand by him in as much as he cost 85million and they have to protect their investment, but he's cocked it big time.

For all my whinging about Pogba, he's just a social media bore off the pitch.

Eric Cantona had a conviction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Jofspring

People are saying Juve are trying to get Ronaldo off the wage bill but are also saying Messi on huge wages possibly going there. Doesn't add up.

PSG have Neymar and Mbappe. Surely one would have to leave to accommodate Messi coming in. Not only for financial fair play but egos. Isn't one of the reasons Neymar left Barca was to be the main man.

Inter have a tonne of money but would he go there to potentially finish runner up to Ronaldo in the league?

Man City. Money and Pep. Certainly could happen, especially if Man City can sweeten the deal with a top player.

United, not a hope in my eyes. If we sign Messi say goodbye to signing anyone else for the foreseeable future.

Just can't see him in the premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Messi on the move but OGS is our manager. Pigs will fly.

He’ll stay away from the PL unless City go crazy in the market, the PL is too competitive, if he moves and the team he’s in comes 2nd or 3rd it’s a mark on his legacy.

PSG or Juve surely.

He has to go where the going is easy.
    Juve is only an option if they can get Ronaldo off the books. Nailed on for PSG I'd say.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Jofspring wrote: »
    People are saying Juve are trying to get Ronaldo off the wage bill but are also saying Messi on huge wages possibly going there. Doesn't add up.

PSG have Neymar and Mbappe. Surely one would have to leave to accommodate Messi coming in. Not only for financial fair play but egos. Isn't one of the reasons Neymar left Barca was to be the main man.

Inter have a tonne of money but would he go there to potentially finish runner up to Ronaldo in the league?

Man City. Money and Pep. Certainly could happen, especially if Man City can sweeten the deal with a top player.

United, not a hope in my eyes. If we sign Messi say goodbye to signing anyone else for the foreseeable future.

Just can't see him in the premier league.

It's been proved conclusively that Financial Fair Play is a farce and there are no consequences for clubs not adhering to it.

Glazers Out!

Eric Cantona had a conviction

Sorry you're right
    At least his was for attacking a racist scumbag whose own fans didn't like him.

If any part of the story is true, He attacked policemen. That's just a complete nono. It's completely moronic.

Either way stripping him of captaincy is right thing to do if this all holds true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Jofspring

nullzero wrote: »
    It's been proved conclusively that Financial Fair Play is a farce and there are no consequences for clubs not adhering to it.

Absolutely, but surely Messi going to PSG or Man City would be the straw that breaks the camel's back as far as financial fair play would be concerned and would heal serious pressure on Uefa and FIFA to do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Jofspring wrote: »
    Absolutely, but surely Messi going to PSG or Man City would be the straw that breaks the camel's back as far as financial fair play would be concerned and would heal serious pressure on Uefa and FIFA to do something about it.

Nope, city should have been the one, when that got overturned it killed ffp

FFP was always a farce. That the punishment was fines for the most part tells you all you need to know..UEFA just want a bigger slice of what's going around and the traditional big clubs want a protection racket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Seems Daley Blind went down again during a match tonight screaming while pointing to his chest. Scary scary stuff. Surely he’ll have to retire now. Shame as he’s such an intelligent footballer.

[url]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Seems Daley Blind went down again during a match tonight screaming while pointing to his chest. Scary scary stuff. Surely he’ll have to retire now. Shame as he’s such an intelligent footballer.

[url]

Ah ****.

Hope he makes a recovery. Always gave 100% for us. Pity a healthy person otherwise has worry about that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Weepsie wrote: »
    Sorry you're right
    At least his was for attacking a racist scumbag whose own fans didn't like him.

If any part of the story is true, He attacked policemen. That's just a complete nono. It's completely moronic.

Either way stripping him of captaincy is right thing to do if this all holds true.

Didn't the whole team go toe to toe with police in that champions league game v Galatasaray in the 90s ? Think this is being overplayed a bit myself, its a lesson to him if nothing else. The level of scrutiny at Utd is a level above any other club in England, hopefully he'll learn from it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

He's 100/1 to go to Wolves with betfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Scary stuff for Blind. Hope he’s ok but you’d have to think this might be it for his playing career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Cantona was banned by the club before the ban was imposed by the powers that be if I remember correctly.

“Stand by the player” is a nonsense. We aren’t asking for him to be sold, just pointing out that he should be stripped of the captaincy as a minimum.

It won’t be forgotten about in a week. Not a hope in hell. This will drag on.

It’s a huge embarrassment for the club and the player. Doing nothing will be a real ugly move from Utd.

It’s bizarre that some people this is nothing or a very minor thing.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/23/blog/post/2258750/when-manchester-uniteds-eric-cantona-attacked-a-fan-at-crystal-palace-rewind-to-1995

Yes I remembered correctly. So Utd banned Cantona until the end of the season even before the FA had taken action(extending the ban).

So that puts an end to the narrative of Utd always sticking by their players(Cantona being used as an example) and being used as an example to argue against my(and others point)that he should be stripped of the captaincy at least.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sport.es - Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester United have already contacted Messi's entourage about a transfer. Both have the financial power to make this transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Sport.es - Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester United have already contacted Messi's entourage about a transfer. Both have the financial power to make this transfer.

ya there's only one winner there lol

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Maguire getting into a position like this is going to get criticism and puts all in a bad position.

In this day, where everyone is so 'connected', news is instant it shows poor judgement in his part in how he chose to holiday.

In terms of what has unfolded it appears from Maguire and United's position that Maguire did not do anything wrong. As a result, I don't think they will remove him as captain as a punishment as it would appear to back up the guilty finding.

A little more time is needed for the position to be confirmed as, in England at least, intent or any malice appear to be missing right now.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him step aside as captain in the next few weeks regardless of the appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

The idea that United would get rid of Sanchez at a huge loss, while seeming admitting that his wages were a mistake and upset the squad, and then offer 33 year old Messi x2 or x3 that amount is both highly absurd and quite possible in equal measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Headshot wrote: »
    ya there's only one winner there lol

But we can turn around and say we were in for him and are always interested in the worlds best players yada yada....

It's all about maintaining the illusion that we are still one of the big boys.

Biggest club in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Quandary wrote: »
    But we can turn around and say we were in for him and are always interested in the worlds best players yada yada....

It's all about maintaining the illusion that we are still one of the big boys.

Biggest club in the world.

propaganda

Making utd seem relattive.....

adox wrote: »
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/23/blog/post/2258750/when-manchester-uniteds-eric-cantona-attacked-a-fan-at-crystal-palace-rewind-to-1995

Yes I remembered correctly. So Utd banned Cantona until the end of the season even before the FA had taken action(extending the ban).

So that puts an end to the narrative of Utd always sticking by their players(Cantona being used as an example) and being used as an example to argue against my(and others point)that he should be stripped of the captaincy at least.

Cantona kung ku kicked a fan after being sent off all while playing for united. They knew he would get a long ban so they gave him a ban first to make it look like they were doing the right thing. It was never seen before in the premier league.

Cantona was also made captain 2 years after his kung fu kick...

We dont even know the full story behind Maguire yet, but at the worst he got drunk in his holidays and was in a fight. There was a video circulating of one of the fights and it was handbags. Its a nothing story imo that no one will care about it a few weeks.

adox wrote: »

If he were not an 85 million defender and either a lowly, last year of contract, squad member or once promising player it would be used as an exuse to cut ties with the player

See Flanagan, Jon, Mutu, Adrian

The club stuck by Rav Morrison probably as long as it could, but gave up when West Ham showed interest and got paid every time he made an appearance there

My prediction.... Messi stays at Barcelona and they buy Sancho.

Cantona kung ku kicked a fan after being sent off all while playing for united. They knew he would get a long ban so they gave him a ban first to make it look like they were doing the right thing. It was never seen before in the premier league.

Cantona was also made captain 2 years after his kung fu kick...

We dont even know the full story behind Maguire yet, but at the worst he got drunk in his holidays and was in a fight. There was a video circulating of one of the fights and it was handbags. Its a nothing story imo that no one will care about it a few weeks.

Nothing in your post suggests he should not be ultimately removed as captain. In fact your post suggests a need to be seen to do the right thing (which to the posters you are disagreeing with would be removing him as captain at this stage).

DM_7 wrote: »
    Nothing in your post suggests he should not be ultimately removed as captain. In fact your post suggests a need to be seen to do the right thing (which to the posters you are disagreeing with would be removing him as captain at this stage).

Imo i dont think he will be removed as captain. I think the club will stand behind him. I also think the whole thing has gotten blown out of proportion. At the end of the day he was in a fight on his holidays when something allegedly happened to his sister, who wouldnt look to protect her. As i said earlier, far worse things have happened with players at utd and the club stood by them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Don't believe for a second any gossip around Messi and Utd, doubt we'd be anywhere near it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Imo i dont think he will be removed as captain. I think the club will stand behind him. I also think the whole thing has gotten blown out of proportion. At the end of the day he was in a fight on his holidays when something allegedly happened to his sister, who wouldnt look to protect her. As i said earlier, far worse things have happened with players at utd and the club stood by them

You keep stating this, but keep leaving out the fact that he has been charged and convicted of attacking a police officer, never mind the bribery charge. which is absolutely not "a fight on his holidays"

https://twitter.com/bbcsport/status/1298379426795749377?s=21

What Maguire was actually convicted of today.

Yes you certainly have said those things several times now. What I find confusing is the idea that you want people who feel a certain way to wait and see yet talk in such definite ways about what will or will not happen.

Your example of Cantona, from 25 years ago is not
    really relevant imo due to time and a very differant scenario but even ignoring that we can see the club offerred the player support but did not blindly stand behind him and take no action at all. They acted in a way they felt was appropriate in the needs of the case/circumstances.

They will obviously support Maguire now. That does not mean he will face no sanction from the club should they believe it is important to take a sanction, including a public one like removal as captain when it is the appropriate action.

A wait and see request goes both ways.

• Advertisement

O I didnt realise he had to spend 10 days in prison will that be pushed back until, its appealed.

Looking at it from a purely fan standpoint of wanting players to play well.

It wont be good hanging over him for however long it does, Herrera went to garbage when he had court stuff hanging over him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

he was drunk and got into a fight, its not a big deal imo

cantona got a 2 week jail sentenced reduced to community service

roy keane bailed out of jail twice

ferdinands drug test

keane fighting schmeichel while drunk in hong kong

giggs with the whole think with brother

rooney smoking, drunk, cheating etc

club have stood by all of them and will be maguire no doubt about it

he was on holidays, was drunk and got into a fight. no big deal, the fact the case is over already today tells a lot about it

Thats some whitewashing ability you've got going on there. He's been found guilty of assault, resisting arrest and repeated attempts of bribery. Were not hearing of other arrests or other men yet who tried to inject his sister with something.

Cantona lost the rag on live tv and kicked a man who later turned out to be a toe rag, Maguire from what we are hearing kicked and abused cops and tried to bribe them in a police station. Its stupid beyond belief, Maguire never came across as a philosopher in interviews but this is another level of recklessness.

You've whittled it down to a bar fight. It that all it was your right it would be forgotten in a week, but it wasn't, it was much worse.

Trigger wrote: »
    You keep stating this, but keep leaving out the fact that he has been charged and convicted of attacking a police officer, never mind the bribery charge. which is absolutely not "a fight on his holidays"

You also have to factor in that all charges were charged as misdemeanours.

On a side note: I actually expect an appeal to go in Maguire's favour somewhat.

O I didnt realise he had to spend 10 days in prison will that be pushed back until, its appealed.

Looking at it from a purely fan standpoint of wanting players to play well.

It wont be good hanging over him for however long it does, Herrera went to garbage when he had court stuff hanging over him

Its a suspended sentence of 21months plus 10 days. He is not going to jail at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

GSPfan wrote: »
    You also have to factor in that all charges were charged as misdemeanours.

On a side note: I actually expect an appeal to go in Maguire's favour somewhat.

Misdemeanours or not, 21 months is not a sentence that is given lightly. If it was just a fight on his holidays, do you think he would get the same suspended sentence? Probably a fine at most.

An Appeal may go his way. But it hasn't yet so all we have at the moment is that he has been convicted of these. He is classed as guilty until he successfully appeals it, thats if he is successful.

The captaincy should be taken off him until he has at least proved his innocence, then it can be reviewed

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Few clubs could sign Messi. I think we are one of them.

Good night.

Misdemeanours or not, 21 months is not a sentence that is given lightly. If it was just a fight on his holidays, do you think he would get the same suspended sentence? Probably a fine at most.

An Appeal may go his way. But it hasn't yet so all we have at the moment is that he has been convicted of these. He is classed as guilty until he successfully appeals it, thats if he is successful.

The captaincy should be taken off him until he has at least proved his innocence, then it can be reviewed

That sentence is given lightly. You’ve just seen it given lightly. This whole thing was wrapped up in a week. Unfortunately for him his “Holiday Fight” was a doozy so tough luck for him.

I also think the captaincy should and will be taken off him regardless of the appeal. He’s caused a distraction for the club. I’m not calling it embarrassment because I don’t think any of this is embarrassing, just needlessly annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I still expect Messi to be at Barca for the forseeable tbh. He's did this with the Argentina national team a few times now, maybe there's some sort of further power at Barca he's trying to consolidate, I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I still expect Messi to be at Barca for the forseeable tbh. He's did this with the Argentina national team a few times now, maybe there's some sort of further power at Barca he's trying to consolidate, I don't know.

By all accounts he wants Bartomeu gone, who somehow makes Ed Woodward appear competent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It appears it was given quite lightly considering by accounts his defence were given the charges 2 hours in advance of the trial and had a video allegedly showing mistreatment from the police.

I'm the first to be judgemental of the Brits abroad culture and my first reaction to the whole thing was that something like that was the case but something feels off about it the more I read about it.

Is the sister injection thing actually true or is it a load of bollox? Surely that's easy enough to prove with toxicology and such?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement