Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20 (Mod Notes Post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

bangkok wrote: »
    he was drunk and got into a fight, its not a big deal imo

cantona got a 2 week jail sentenced reduced to community service

roy keane bailed out of jail twice

ferdinands drug test

keane fighting schmeichel while drunk in hong kong

giggs with the whole think with brother

rooney smoking, drunk, cheating etc

club have stood by all of them and will be maguire no doubt about it

he was on holidays, was drunk and got into a fight. no big deal, the fact the case is over already today tells a lot about it

If all he did was get into a drunken handbags fight you'd be right, night in a cell, fine in the morning and off you go.

Escalating a drunken handbags bar fight by throwing a dig at a policeman and compounding that mistake by then trying to bribe the policeman moves the needle from the "no big deal" end of the justice scale to the "21 months jail time" end of the justice scale.

If this was some sort of elaborate setup by the cops to scam a well known PL footballer why didn't they grab the cash when it was being offered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

54and56 wrote: »
    If all he did was get into a drunken handbags fight you'd be right, night in a cell, fine in the morning and off you go.

Escalating a drunken handbags bar fight by throwing a dig at a policeman and compounding that mistake by then trying to bribe the policeman moves the needle from the "no big deal" end of the justice scale to the "21 months jail time" end of the justice scale.

If this was some sort of elaborate setup by the cops to scam a well known PL footballer why didn't they grab the cash when it was being offered?

Who said it was an elaborate set up by the cops? It’s not one thing or the other. There’s two wildly different accounts coming from todays reports and somewhere in there is the truth. Even if the police are correct and Maguire is guilty of all the misdemeanour crimes he committed then tough shít Harry. Suck it up and get back to England to prepare for next season. Nobody seems to have got hurt in this whole fiasco. I’ve not heard of anyone other than his sister receiving any sort of physical harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

markc91 wrote: »

I'd never use Pilip as a source when it comes to United, the club have not emailed him nor did he ring someone at United the week previous about a transfer . He's just angry and deluded

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

City signing Messi, Ake, Torres.
    Chelsea with Werner, Chilwell, Zieych, Havertz, etc
    Liverpool after Thiago
    Arsenal getting Gabriel, Willian
    Spurs with not amazing work but actual work done.
    Even Everton with strong links to James, Allen, Doucoure

United doing nothing.

I legit don’t know if I’ve ever been more annoyed with a window. It’s not just that we are sandbagging another manager. But every other club around us IS improving, massively.

If everyone stood still in the market and stayed static, we’d spbe struggling, but we are now at the point where everyone is rocketing ahead of us again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Liverpool after Thiago

United doing nothing.

I legit don’t know if I’ve ever been more annoyed with a window. It’s not just that we are sandbagging another manager. But every other club around us IS improving, massively.

If everyone stood still in the market and stayed static, we’d spbe struggling, but we are now at the point where everyone is rocketing ahead of us again...

I know there is a bit to go in the window but it is very annoying, its just rinse and repeat when it comes to Utd and transfer windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I wish I could be annoyed/dissapointed but did people not expect this? I hoped we may buck the usual trend but nope its just business as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

I reckon it will be Sancho or nothing. We will make a big bid for him in the not too distant future and eventually meet Dortmund's asking price in which Sancho will tell the hierarchy he wants to leave.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I wish I could be annoyed/dissapointed but did people not expect this? I hoped we may buck the usual trend but nope its just business as usual.

I think you can expect something and still be disappointed when it happens. Up until it happens, you can still hold out hope.

Leeds signed Rodrigo for 30m yesterday too. He’d have been a really good option if Ole really wanted a second striker. Nope, not even looking.

Like, we’re moving past incompetence and into sheer maliciousness now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I think you can expect something and still be disappointed when it happens. Up until it happens, you can still hold out hope.

Leeds signed Rodrigo for 30m yesterday too. He’d have been a really good option if Ole really wanted a second striker. Nope, not even looking.

get a grip of yourself. half the players you mentioned above haven't signed for anyone and some have been linked with United too.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Can't see Messi going anywhere tbh and think barring a vanity project (which is also idiotic obviously) a club that would seriously pursue him for the costs involved would need their heads examined.

Maguire, embarrassing himself and the club as Captain. This should cost him the captaincy and I'd be happy to see Captain Bruno lead the team out next season anyway.

Transfers, expected no better tbh, a joke shop. The dirty secret is the ownership are quite content to just be up in that group with the big boys to garner the prize money but have no ambition to do what's needed to actually win anything of note, the examples of this are many.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I am not disappointed we turned away from Sancho. I respect the club and actually back them if they felt the money was too much.

Now though you would hope they had a Plan B and C. Now maybe they do, and maybe they have 2 or 3 players pretty much done and we don’t know.

I can understand the panic on previous seasons. Myself, I’m calm at minute but if it’s the same in 2 weeks time than I’m actually wondering is there any point in even watching United this season. It be like watching the same movie 7 days in a row. Even your favourite movie gets boring after a while.

If we don’t push on this season I will finally give up on United being a Trophy winning club until the owners get out which could be a generation away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

pjohnson wrote: »

It's the hope that kills you.

Reading the thread but I'm not even arsed replying to transfer targets, etc as I've little hope any will be pulled off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I know there is a bit to go in the window but it is very annoying, its just rinse and repeat when it comes to Utd and transfer windows.

There really is little hope for us while the glazers don’t change how they run the club or leave. We are banking on last seasons transfer additions being the proof we have been waiting for that they have changed enough to make a difference in the long run. As always, We have to hope this all just works out.

I’ve asked this before but if you are Pogba or even Fernandes or any sort of ambitious player at the club, how do you feel in the seasons when Uniteds recruitment is less then inspiring? Regardless of manager how does an ambitious player feel when they see Fred and Dalot join while Liverpool break world records? How do our players feel after finishing level with Chelsea and seeing their recruitment drive? How do they feel their chances are of catching Liverpool even if Pool sign nobody? How do they feel their chances are in the CL when they can’t win the EL? They can see Chelsea making signings, how do they feel when they read United suggest money is tight during corona?

Whether it’s Poch or Pep or Ole, this squad can’t be feeling overly confident or excited about the season and every manager would have a much harder job motivating our squad to believe they can win anything this season. You could say the same about spurs but there is a significant difference at that club. When you join spurs and play for them you have a certain level of expectations. When you join United you are told you are joining one of the biggest clubs in the world “yadda yadda yadda”. You are sold an idea that we are a club who will challange for top honours and who can attract the best players in the world. Di Maria, Sanchez , Pogba and Lukaku for example didn’t join us to win a league cup or fa cup.

I think a huge issue is that we don’t want to accept that most players who do join to win become as disillusioned as fans and just want to leave as a result. Very few players come to United and improve their reputation, most leave with reputations diminished, same with managers. This is part of the reason we over pay players. At some point our fans need to see this and vent all their anger and frustrations at the owners. This is why I see Getting in Poch as a stop gap to offer false hope for a year or two and we will be right back to square one again. If there was enough pressure put on owners change would happen but we have convinced ourselves that nothing can be done so apathy towards our owners leads to misplaced anger towards managers and players.

They rely heavily on Sponcorship partners, if there was enough of a shift against glazers , they would act. Just like fifa finally did agaisnt Blatter when Sponcors saw the wind blowing against him and threatened to pull out of world cups. Again, it’s a sad reflection of the sport that sponsors have more sway then fans. But our fans have given up , that’s why it’s been so easy for the Glazers to do what they have been doing. I’ve given up hope aswell, I’m not judging our fans from an ivory tower, I just find it so frustrating considering the financial muscle of the club that the owners can’t even get the club anywhere near a title challange or even a CL. It’s actually criminal how badly they are wasting this advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

it was probably lost yesterday with all the talk of Messi wanting out of barca, but i also see Koeman has told Suarez and Vidal he no longer wants them at the club, the phone call to suarez lasted less than a minute!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Weepsie wrote: »
    None of them had criminal convictions. Various issues alright, but no convictions.

If this was a Liverpool or Chelsea player people here would be saying he should be booted out of club let alone stripped of captaincy.

They should stand by him in as much as he cost 85million and they have to protect their investment, but he's cocked it big time.

I think he's a fairly ineffective captain anyway. He points and shouts a bit, is a solid old fashioned English centre half but I don't see any proper leadership in him.

McTominay and Fernandes would be better club captains imo.

For all my whinging about Pogba, he's just a social media bore off the pitch.

Pretty sure most people wouldn't give a shiny ****e to be honest.

kowloonkev wrote: »
    get a grip of yourself. half the players you mentioned above haven't signed for anyone and some have been linked with United too.

I actually kept the list solely to players who have been signed or linked via the most reliable sources to clubs. I didn't bother including things like Kouabiliy to City, Partey to Arsenal, the fact Chelsea will want a keeper and have signed Sarr on a free transfer. If I actually expanded the list to players linked to the clubs, the lists would still dwarf ours.

Which of those players have been reliably linked to United too? Not by Indykillas or the likes, but genuine top level journalists? We had solid links to Sancho two weeks ago but nothing since.

Our top level journalists, Stone et al., have been silent all summer too. We're being linked with no one any more. Not in any credible way. And I tend to find that we don't do much business in the shadows. Our work tends to be very public.

Ha, look at this article United just published on the offical site...

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/cristiano-ronaldo-regularly-asks-bruno-fernandes-about-manchester-united?

RONALDO REGULARLY ASKS ABOUT UNITED
    An interview with Bruno about Ronaldo.

I think it's hilarious they're putting that article up at the same time strong links break out of Messi to City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Will we sign anyone at all? I'm genuinely worried. There seems to be no push from the club at all. Madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I get the frustration but you're moving past frustration and into sheer madness if you're longing for us to buy a player like Rodrigo for 30m.

• Advertisement

Jokeshop was probably a bit overly emotional from past experience from me. I'll wait until the end of the window to judge it but the signs are not good and we have been here before. I just wish the club would lay down a marker in the off season and get the deals done fast, don't **** around. Have 3/4 names for a position, set deadlines, we are the money, we should not always be supplicant to the selling club. They either want to sell or the don't, if they don't that is their right, have your ceiling in terms of price, have a time frame and move on if these are exceeded.

There is not just one player that must be got to improve and nobody else will suit, that is not how it works. A functioning recruitment department will not simply come up with a Sancho and say, that's it. He's the guy, it's him.or bust.

I applaud the club walking away from deals, absolutely. Been taken for a ride for far too long, but they don't get credit for walking away from deals but not pursuing alternatives and letting the situation fester and end up needing to solve more problems in the next window which puts us back to the start.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

someone please correct me if i am wrong, but isnt ed woodward no longer in charge of our transfer recruitment from around April of this year??

There's a team that handles transfers. In reality Ole makes the recommendations to Woodward and Judge, they liaise with the statistics guys to gauge suitability and price. The Glazers are asked for approval to make an approach. Woodward and Judge then are free to negotiate but they need approval from the Glazers.

There's a team that handles transfers. In reality Ole makes the recommendations to Woodward and Judge, they liaise with the statistics guys to gauge suitability and price. The Glazers are asked for approval to make an approach. Woodward and Judge then are free to negotiate but they need approval from the Glazers.

Exactly this. Ole gives the names of his targets to Ed @ Matt after the Glazers have allocated so much to the transfer kitty. Matt @ Ed negotiate with the players agents after the player expresses an interest to join. They agree terms and then try to negotiate with the selling club. They go back to the Glazers with the asking price and the Glazers either give the green light or not.

PARlance wrote: »
    I get the frustration but you're moving past frustration and into sheer madness if you're longing for us to buy a player like Rodrigo for 30m.

Fair point.

I guess the broader point isn't Rodrigo specifically. But you see teams like Leeds, newly promoted, making moves for good players because they know they have to improve. It's ambitious, it's a hunger to improve and back their manager, and in the broader scheme of things, 30m for an experienced striker is good business for them.

It's a proactive move, and it feels like every club is reaching for the stars (relative to their level) while we're rolling bout in the mud.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

When thinking of transfers I cetainly get caught up in the ideal scenario, big ideas but the hard realities are nowhere like the former ideas.

Rodrigo for example is going to Leeds. A club who have a lower cost base and a wedge of guaranteed new income on the way that means they obviously have 'new' cash to play with. We saw Villa and Fulham in previous seasons act like that.

United have a decrease in their income, an income that informed its previous cost base and fees/wages they committed to in the past. There is no doubt covid is going to impact on United who are ran by a banker, have debt to service and owners seeking a dividend.

I think United are well behind clubs like Chelsea in willingness to spend - Chelsea have an owner who is willing to sanction funding as he can protect the club financially if he wants to and can take advantage of the conditions the market is in.

United are more in the area where Liverpool and Spurs are in terms of caution. I am not sure United want to spend on squad players who Ole may regard as like existing squad players though.

Basically the whole situation means United are going to be even slower than normal :eek: . It is going to be hugely frustrating for fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I think one of the biggest issues is not too long ago Ole talked about us being able to "exploit" the market and how we're big enough and well off enough to do so. Now suddenly we have to penny pinch? it doesn't add up.

To take from a phrase, I'm not mad anymore, I'm just disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I think one of the biggest issues is not too long ago Ole talked about us being able to "exploit" the market and how we're big enough and well off enough to do so. Now suddenly we have to penny pinch? it doesn't add up.

To take from a phrase, I'm not mad anymore, I'm just disappointed.

https://twitter.com/RedDevilBible/status/598474244511670272?s=20

Pure bullshít to boost his ego.

"can" =/= "will"

The face of a Phil Hogan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

DM_7 wrote: »
    When thinking of transfers I cetainly get up in the ideal scenario, aspirational ideas and the hard realities are nowhere like the former ideas.

Rodrigo for example is going to Leeds. A club who have a lower cost base and a wedge of guaranteed new income on the way that means they obviously have 'new' cash to play with. We saw Villa and Fulham in previous seasons act like that.

United have a decrease in their income, an income that informed its previous cost base and fees/wages they committed to in the past. There is no doubt covid is going to impact on United who are ran by a banker, have debt to service and owners seeking a dividend.

I think United are well behind clubs like Chelsea in willingness to spend - Chelsea have an owner who is willing to sanction funding as he can protect the club financially if he wants to and can take advantage of the conditions the market is in.

United are more in the area where Liverpool and Spurs are in terms of caution. I am not sure United want to spend on squad players who Ole may regard as like existing squad players though.

Basically the whole situation means United are going to be even slower than normal :eek: . It is going to be hugely frustrating for fans.

When you think about it:

- City and Chelsea have owners who want them to be successful for non football related reasons. Its not necessarily that they want to lose money, its just making money is not their primary goal for acquiring the clubs. They have owners who want to win and put in place proven structures and finance to make that happen and managers are not overly important to this structure.

- Liverpool now have owners who want to make money, but see on field success complimented by a well run outfit as a way to achieve it.

United owners are one trick ponies, market the club to everybody. This was kind of revolutionary back in the 00s, they really did tap into the potential of marketing clubs and many clubs have followed this strategy. However, this is all they brought to the table and its now becoming a serious problem as they have no other competency to help the club grow on or off the field.

They got very lucky with SAF who succeeded with very prohibitive budgets and an explosion in TV money they could not of predicted in their wildest dreams. Plenty of clubs have shot for the stars and collapsed (Portsmouth/Leeds come to mind), but they spent to win. We nearly crippled our club with high risk debt purely to allow the owners afford ownership.

I find it hard to see how the club is not during a saturation phase where they are sapping as much as they can before maybe issuing more shares and slowly sell off pieces of the club. It is hard to see how the club is going to recover on field without dramatic changes in their approach to the running of the football side.

I mean the suggestion in some media that "Joel Glazer doesnt feel Sancho is value for money" or something like that makes me twitch. They should have little to no input into the football side. Look at what the best clubs in the world are doing, implement structures to follow it, put a budget into that structure and hire people who know what they are doing to manage it. I am not arguing that the Glazers cant do what they want with the club, I am saying none of them are educated enough to make any football related decisions. Either the budget is there or its not. The best business people surround themselves with the best people to get the desired results. It would be different if they had some semblance of success since 2013, but there is absolutely nothing positive in their corner when asking if they are able to run the football side of things, as I said, they have been an unmitigated failure at wasting the clubs resources since SAF retired.

The issue feels like it might be simple Hubris/Arrogance in their failure to accept they are making a balls of running the football side (player recruitment/retention, manager picks, structure within the club, mismanaging the stadium). The alternative is that they are ok/fine with how badly the club is doing on the park. I dont think they dont want to win leagues/CL , the problem as i see it is they dont know how to best use our resources and are loath to even acknowledge it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Liverpool after Thiago

United doing nothing.

I'm frustrated that the club is so ****ing slow to act in the transfer market, but the above is a bit weird. The highlighted bits have either not happened or are no more noteworthy as the Sancho to United stories.

Liverpool get credit for being "after Thiago" (fair enough, they've also signed a 24 year old left back for a smallish fee), Everton get credit for having "strong links" and Spurs get credit for "work done", Messi going to City.

Sure, some of that might happen, but at the moment none of this is any more valuable in real terms than United being "after" Sancho.

Totally get the frustration though. Wouldn't it be lovely for the club to get players in for pre-season, even just once?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

v3ttel wrote: »
    I'm frustrated that the club is so ****ing slow to act in the transfer market, but the above is a bit weird. The highlighted bits have either not happened or are no more noteworthy as the Sancho to United stories.

Liverpool get credit for being "after Thiago" (fair enough, they've also signed a 24 year old left back for a smallish fee), Everton get credit for having "strong links" and Spurs get credit for "work done", Messi going to City.

Sure, some of that might happen, but at the moment none of this is any more valuable in real terms than United being "after" Sancho.

Totally get the frustration though. Wouldn't it be lovely for the club to get players in for pre-season, even just once?

I can only imagine Utd get it harder as they fees/salary rise to silly money and have to be negotiated down. It's probably a soul-destroying job.

DM_7 wrote: »
    When thinking of transfers I cetainly get up in the ideal scenario, aspirational ideas and the hard realities are nowhere like the former ideas.

i wonder what the story is with the renewal of season ticket holders? probably the guts of 50m lost straight away if they are not being renewed due to covid

v3ttel wrote: »

I disagree. I've not listed one player who doesn't have more concrete sources than we have for anyone. And I've left several players off the list that are only tenuous links.

The closest we have to a source right now for Sancho is Romano, but we've not heard a peep about that in two weeks now. Its utter radio silence with regards any deals for us. We are linked with absolutely no one. Our tier ones haven't linked us to anyone for weeks now. You've got a story in July saying we want a DoF, and a story that Woody is annoyed with all the fake links around the whispers of Jimenez joining.

Meanwhile, pretty much all of the reliable news out of Barca and City's top level journalists are saying both Messi and City are working on the deal.

The Bayern CEO has been saying Thiago has said his goodbyes. It's been made clear if they pay €30m, he's theirs.

As far as Everton goes, Romano and the Telegraph have been outlining that Allen and James want to link back up with Carlo. The links are extremely solid, and there looks little competition involved for them.

So yeah, when we've had utter radio silence, not just from our end but even from any other clubs end for two weeks, I've little reason to believe it's because we're working behind the scenes. With United, silence usually means nothing is happening.

Other clubs have identified their areas and are working to fix them. I've seeing nothing to suggest we've done much.

And I'll stress this too....I hope I'm wrong. I would adore nothing more than seeing Woodward absolutely prove me wrong. But I feel when there's not even absurd links, while every other club around us is clearly doing hard work, it's back to the usual ****e from Woody for us :/

I disagree. I've not listed one player who doesn't have more concrete sources than we have for anyone. And I've left several players off the list that are only tenuous links.

The closest we have to a source right now for Sancho is Romano, but we've not heard a peep about that in two weeks now. Its utter radio silence with regards any deals for us. We are linked with absolutely no one. Our tier ones haven't linked us to anyone for weeks now. You've got a story in July saying we want a DoF, and a story that Woody is annoyed with all the fake links around the whispers of Jimenez joining.

Meanwhile, pretty much all of the reliable news out of Barca and City's top level journalists are saying both Messi and City are working on the deal.

The Bayern CEO has been saying Thiago has said his goodbyes. It's been made clear if they pay €30m, he's theirs.

As far as Everton goes, Romano and the Telegraph have been outlining that Allen and James want to link back up with Carlo. The links are extremely solid, and there looks little competition involved for them.

So yeah, when we've had utter radio silence, not just from our end but even from any other clubs end for two weeks, I've little reason to believe it's because we're working behind the scenes. With United, silence usually means nothing is happening.

Other clubs have identified their areas and are working to fix them. I've seeing nothing to suggest we've done much.

And I'll stress this too....I hope I'm wrong. I would adore nothing more than seeing Woodward absolutely prove me wrong. But I feel when there's not even absurd links, while every other club around us is clearly doing hard work, it's back to the usual ****e from Woody for us :/

we have been linked with moves for Sancho, Brooks, Jimenez, Pau Torres, Saul Niguez, Douglas Costa, Badiashile, prob a few more i cant think of. if no one is signed in the next 2-3 weeks then i will be worried, until then no point getting worked up about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

we have been linked with moves for Sancho, Brooks, Jimenez, Pau Torres, Saul Niguez, Douglas Costa, Badiashile, prob a few more i cant think of. if no one is signed in the next 2-3 weeks then i will be worried, until then no point getting worked up about it

What's worrying is it looks like the Sancho transfer is going to dictate what happens and the longer it goes on the less likely we are to get other targets if we dont sign him

He is a top class player but for the money we could probably get a good winger and a top class CB and holding midfielder

I would prefer at this point to either sign him or just move on completely but Ed loves spending a transfer window chasing 1 player

Finally, some movement!

[Mohamed Bouhafsi] Manchester United sent an offer of 25M€ for Badiashile. Offer refused by AS Monaco. AS Monaco's coach Niko Kovac explained to his superiors that he did not want to part with him and that Monaco had to reject all offers for Badiashile.

Edit. Follow up...
    Source close to Monaco explains that "Benoit will stay unless Manchester makes an irrefutable offer like Martial" Leverkusen intends to return to the charge for the defend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Obviously dependant now on Maguire's legal troubles but I'd be happy enough to give Lindelof and Maguire another season to see if they improve. Another CB joining means more transition at the position. At the end of the day they've not played that much together overall and a more energetic DM in front of them could make all the difference.

In every successful 4-2-3-1 formation you have the 2 lying deep and providing protection to each side of the defence. In United's with Pogba, it's more a 4-1-1-3-1 this can be amended by dropping Bruno back a bit deeper and going traditional 4-3-3 or putting another defensive player in beside Matic and dropping Pogba (fat chance).

They are all versions of the same formation but I think it makes all the difference and Matic playing as a quasi 3rd CB really improved the team but someone in that role who has the athleticism to both press without the ball and drop in with the ball would make all the difference as I alluded to above.

Finally, some movement!

[Mohamed Bouhafsi] Manchester United sent an offer of 25M€ for Badiashile. Offer refused by AS Monaco. AS Monaco's coach Niko Kovac explained to his superiors that he did not want to part with him and that Monaco had to reject all offers for Badiashile.

Edit. Follow up...
    Source close to Monaco explains that "Benoit will stay unless Manchester makes an irrefutable offer like Martial" Leverkusen intends to return to the charge for the defend

they have been linked with him a while, I literally posted about him about 2 or 3 posts up, it looks like he wants to join, just see how badly united want him now and how much he wants to move

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Liam O wrote: »
    Obviously dependant now on Maguire's legal troubles but I'd be happy enough to give Lindelof and Maguire another season to see if they improve. Another CB joining means more transition at the position. At the end of the day they've not played that much together overall and a more energetic DM in front of them could make all the difference.

In every successful 4-2-3-1 formation you have the 2 lying deep and providing protection to each side of the defence. In United's with Pogba, it's more a 4-1-1-3-1 this can be amended by dropping Bruno back a bit deeper and going traditional 4-3-3 or putting another defensive player in beside Matic and dropping Pogba (fat chance).

They are all versions of the same formation but I think it makes all the difference and Matic playing as a quasi 3rd CB really improved the team but someone in that role who has the athleticism to both press without the ball and drop in with the ball would make all the difference as I alluded to above.

Is it not too late of your DM is pressing? Surely if the DM is stepping out to press it is because the rest of your press was bypassed. Genuine question there, a more dynamic player would offer more overall as they would have the option to use their ability to get around the pitch as a secondary option.

I think United have a primary need for a DM to be cutting off passing lanes and making intercepts rather than pressing and leaving space between himself and the CBs. Mc T and Fred are both agile, fit players who can press and step up. Yet when they are in that role they have a tendency to press, run to players instead of containing which leaves too much space in behind them.

In terms of tactical adjustments,United I don't think want two deep lying players in most games. They need Pogba higher up the pitch as without that they have four players playing the ball around from a deep area (two CBs and two CMs). United need to get the ball forward quicker and get more people into the box. I think United need to improve the right hand side to speed up play and give more options to build play as well as give Pogba more freedom to get forward and into the box.

The constant cycle of the ball having to go left after it initially went to the right (players out there can't progress play) leaves Pogba (or anyone playing as the right sided cm) in no mans land. In the initial phases he has to hold as it is inevitable the inside pass to him or Bruno is coming. When the ball heads left, if he stays in line with the other CM or moves forward into an attacking position to receive a pass he is out of the game with a simple pass by the opponent if play breaks down on the left.

United single greatest need in the first 11 is the right side. Then it is the squad.

I agree that Lindelof and Maguire are suitable for next season at CB. Desire for a CB form United maybe more about squad depth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Listening to the fella from the United Stand, he says there was an official email from Man Utd in response to a question their Transfer Policy that they would not be many if any transfers because of the economic shortfall due to covid, bet it won't effect them taking millions out of of the club.
    Joke of a club if true, we need a good few players if we are to progress. Hope the club doesn't fool anyone that they are seriously going to get Messi

votecounts wrote: »
    Listening to the fella from the United Stand, he says there was an official email from Man Utd in response to a question their Transfer Policy that they would not be many if any transfers because of the economic shortfall due to covid, bet it won't effect them taking millions out of of the club.
    Joke of a club if true, we need a good few players if we are to progress. Hope the club doesn't fool anyone that they are seriously going to get Messi

i dont believe that is true at all, id say there is at least 100m up for transfers available plus whatever we take in from sales

Guardian's Jamie jackson: ManUtd not interested in a certain player named Mr L Messi, is the understanding...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Finally, some movement!

Edit. Follow up...

begs the question, why not go in for sarr on a free?

I can see us going for Grealish if Sancho isn't got even though he's not a right winger. Signing him might placate some fans.

begs the question, why not go in for sarr on a free?

maybe they dont rate him, is he any better than Bailly or Tuanzebe? Chelsea signing him and then sending him on loan it looks like

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

maybe they dont rate him, is he any better than Bailly or Tuanzebe? Chelsea signing him and then sending him on loan it looks like

If he's available for at least 50% of games he's better than them, and Jones.

Guardian's Jamie jackson: ManUtd not interested in a certain player named Mr L Messi, is the understanding...

Damn straight, we have enough squad players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i dont know TBH. but compare the 2.

one is 19 with 36 ligue 1 appearances for ~30m.

the other is 21 with 102 ligue 1 appearances for free.

if money is tight, thats a no brainer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

votecounts wrote: »

All coming from this tweet, personally I wouldn't believe a word from all Philips mouth. If it was true every reliable United Journalist would be reporting it

https://twitter.com/Malachians/status/1298400114378076160?s=19

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement