Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20 (Mod Notes Post #1)

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If they're going to spend big on a defender they should be paying Upamecano's reported release clause now, and have him in the squad next year.

Hold onto Smalling for another year as third choice, he'll get game time, and try and get rid of 2-3 of Rojo, Jones, Bailley and Tuanzebe.

If there was a particularly strong DM and Left back available I would be strengthening there and RW. Doesn't need to be Sancho, but someone who would be good enough to start in most teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Weepsie wrote: »
    If they're going to spend big on a defender they should be paying Upamecano's reported release clause now, and have him in the squad next year.

Hold onto Smalling for another year as third choice, he'll get game time, and try and get rid of 2-3 of Rojo, Jones, Bailley and Tuanzebe.

If there was a particularly strong DM and Left back available I would be strengthening there and RW. Doesn't need to be Sancho, but someone who would be good enough to start in most teams

Sabitzer would be a good buy at RW I think. I'd love to know who's actually on our list for wingers, you'd wonder if its seriously only Sancho and David Brooks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Signed a new contract a week or two ago, which negated the release clause till next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Trigger wrote: »
    All coming from this tweet, personally I wouldn't believe a word from all Philips mouth. If it was true every reliable United Journalist would be reporting it

https://twitter.com/Malachians/status/1298400114378076160?s=19

if thats true it proves the point about the glazers not giving a ****...

cos they paid a dividend on 3rd June.

Ex/EFF DATE TYPE CASH AMOUNT DECLARATION DATE RECORD DATE PAYMENT DATE
    04/23/2020 CASH $0.09 02/25/2020 04/24/2020 06/03/2020
    11/29/2019 CASH $0.09 11/18/2019 12/02/2019 01/06/2020

https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/stocks/manu/dividend-history

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

begs the question, why not go in for sarr on a free?

If you were Sarr would you fancy your chances of playing ahead of United CBs who ate established or Chelsea's who have more questions about them?

I doubt Sarr wants to go to be a rotation player at a club when he is well placed to pick a club he thinks he will play at.

DM_7 wrote: »
    If you were Sarr would you fancy your chances of playing ahead of United CBs who ate established or Chelsea's who have more questions about them?

I doubt Sarr wants to go to be a rotation player at a club when he is well placed to pick a club he thinks he will play at.

its the fact they weren't even in for him according to nothing in the media about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

i dont know TBH. but compare the 2.

one is 19 with 36 ligue 1 appearances for ~30m.

the other is 21 with 102 ligue 1 appearances for free.

if money is tight, thats a no brainer

But that means nothing really, he could be average and the 30m defender a much better player

DM_7 wrote: »

Reports saying yesterday that chelsea were signing him and then sending him on loan. He is not even good enough for them yet and their defence is poor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

i dont know TBH. but compare the 2.

one is 19 with 36 ligue 1 appearances for ~30m.

the other is 21 with 102 ligue 1 appearances for free.

if money is tight, thats a no brainer

Thats a pretty simplistic comparison - Id hope the club go into a little more detail.

• Advertisement

Update from #mufc on Harry Maguire (1/2): ‘An appeal against yesterday’s verdict was lodged this morning by Harry’s legal team. In accordance with the Greek judicial process, the filing of an appeal extinguishes the initial court verdict and nullifies the conviction.‘

(2/2) 'The appeal has been accepted and will lead to a full retrial in a more senior court. This means that Harry has no criminal record and is once again presumed innocent until proven guilty. Accordingly, he is not subject to any international travel restrictions.’

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

If he's available for at least 50% of games he's better than them, and Jones.

just because a player is available 50% of the time doesnt automatically mean he is better footballer.

bangkok wrote: »
    But that means nothing really, he could be average and the 30m defender a much better player
    Thats a pretty simplistic comparison - Id hope the club go into a little more detail.

i know that. ive not seen either play, just watched their youtube clips. and maybe the club did do their due diligence, and deemed him not good enough.
    but i have more faith in chelsea's recruitment team than utd's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

i have more faith in chelsea's recruitment team than utd's.

Neither is the standard bearer tbh, but still I'm not sure I agree. It's been a good summer for them for sure, but they generally have 30-40 players on loan who never get near the first team. The likes of Mount and Abraham probably wouldn't have been given a chance but for their ban last summer. Their defense last season was horrific; they've signed David Luiz not once but twice, and they paid a world record fee for a keeper who cant get in the team.

Chelsea have more hits the misses tbf to them and they always back. There manager and. Sign players he needs for his system

Just confirmed chilwell

• Advertisement

just because a player is available 50% of the time doesnt automatically mean he is better footballer.

Whoosh

Was going to make a smart arse comment about Pogba missing over 50% of games

i dont follow American football but a friend of mine told me that Tom Brady signed for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, considered to be the greatest quarter back in history, it was the glazers who signed him and he said he wouldnt put it past them to sign Messi for united (but i said i can only see him going to PSG or City)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Chelsea doing this window what we should be doing.

Havertz, Chilwell and Werner are quality signings, add in Zyech too and they have made some quality first team improvements.

Need to get the finger out and improve the squad where it is weak. Don't leave it until after the season starts.

i dont follow American football but a friend of mine told me that Tom Brady signed for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, considered to be the greatest quarter back in history, it was the glazers who signed him and he said he wouldnt put it past them to sign Messi for united (but i said i can only see him going to PSG or City)

American football finances are completely different though so it's in no way similar.

If they did think like that it would be dangerous and they're worse than I give them credit for.

Did same friend tell me out how they've been one of the absolute worst teams for a decade or so now? Just doing enough to get the money rolling in, this after a very successful beginning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Neither is the standard bearer tbh, but still I'm not sure I agree. It's been a good summer for them for sure, but they generally have 30-40 players on loan who never get near the first team. The likes of Mount and Abraham probably wouldn't have been given a chance but for their ban last summer. Their defense last season was horrific; they've signed David Luiz not once but twice, and they paid a world record fee for a keeper who cant get in the team.

And sold and rebought Matic..
    Transfer ban was the best thing to happen to us, finally had to give the kids a go and luckily some are very good

The loan army is how we make money, we dont have the capacity of OT etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I was reading last year that The Glazers Bucks actually were breaking records on how bad they were. Something like they failed to make the playoffs for 13 straight years that is extremely improbable considering how the drafts work (worst teams get better choices on players first). I dont think many clubs (if any) have gone as long without a playoff.

It is very similar to how they have bucked the trend by spending a fortune of Uniteds money and getting an awful return for it.

They are terrible owners from the fans of both clubs perspective. Sounds like they have gone for a shock and awe with the Bucs after 13 years of misery. Maybe in 2025 they will try the same for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

The Glazers have allocated funds for transfers. It's just the rubbish that the money was wasted on. A DOF is badly needed. Giving massive contracts to the deadwood is criminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

6 year deal for Henderson.

120k per week.

He stays at United next year.

Per Sky Sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Hopefully Ole won't be too afraid to play him :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

500k a week on our 2 keepers... Hmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I’d say De Geas days are numbered.

adox wrote: »

Probably give him one more season. What will happen too Romero though. It would be disappointing to see him go.

The problem is his wages. If he continues to get worse there’s no easy way of offloading him.

I’m going to go the optimistic route and hope he just gets his sh*t together. Kind of weird to be writing him off the season our defence was one of the best in the league.

Does anybody know Has his general play been poor or is it mostly the errors? I would of thought that when a defence has lost confidence in keeper they don’t have as good a defensive record as United had last season.

I think in one way it’s not so bad as if we were trying Henderson and he was poor or not up to it then DDG can come back in at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

billyhead wrote: »
    The Glazers have allocated funds for transfers. It's just the rubbish that the money was wasted on. A DOF is badly needed. Giving massive contracts to the deadwood is criminal.

I agree with this. The Glazers aren't tight or unwilling to spend a lot of money on the sqaud, we are one of footballs top spenders but as you say its where its been spent.

A DOF working with the manager on a strategy to identify a playing style or long term vision for the first team would have seen a lot of money better spent and is something long overdue.

I agree with this. The Glazers aren't tight or unwilling to spend a lot of money on the sqaud, we are one of footballs top spenders but as you say its where its been spent.

A DOF working with the manager on a strategy to identify a playing style or long term vision for the first team would have seen a lot of money better spent and is something long overdue.

Unfortunately either Ed or someone else at the top doesn't want to relinquish this authority.

• Advertisement

Thrilled to hear Henderson has signed such a long term contract, and it's a clear sign of what the intentions are there for him.

I'd imagine we'll see Romero moving on pretty soon. And DDG will start the league with Henderson given cups to bed in. Genuine competition for DDG could actually give him a kick up the arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

pjohnson wrote: »
    6 year deal for Henderson.

120k per week.

He stays at United next year.

Per Sky Sports.

Thats crazy money for him imo

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Thrilled to hear Henderson has signed such a long term contract, and it's a clear sign of what the intentions are there for him.

I'd imagine we'll see Romero moving on pretty soon. And DDG will start the league with Henderson given cups to bed in. Genuine competition for DDG could actually give him a kick up the arse.
    xtal191 wrote: »

I’m with Lord TSC on this. That contract says to Henderson “go get too spot and make it your own”. This season will be possibly the transition and it might actually refocus DDG.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

It's hard to imagine our highest paid player in David De Gea being dropped to the bench despite his recent performances. It'd literally be Sanchez all over again and with him just out the door, you'd think the club would learn. Then again, I can't see Henderson being happy to sit on the bench next season.

We've now got two first team quality goalkeepers earning big big money on our wage bill. Some would say it's great and it will bring the best out of both keepers but i just feel with the goalkeeper position it's different than say having two No 9s competing for the first team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

All NFL teams have a standard salary cap with a complex flexibility if they don't spend all of their budget. Buccaneers had enough space in their salary cap to sign Brady for 2 years since they decided not to take up the option of re-signing or franchise tagging their previous QB Jameis Winston would have cost more than $30m+ this season whereas Brady will cost around $25m as he is 43 years of age afterall. Florida also has a vastly more beneficial income tax regime which would have made it appealing for Brady

With the superbowl scheduled in Tampa in February 2021 it was the right opportunity for the Buccaneers to give it a shot of making it on home turf with a legend like Brady and they also traded in his reliable Tight End Gronkowski from the Patriots too

Brady could be a bargain under the Buccaneers circumstances this year, Messi would directly increase our debt so it won't happen

It's hard to imagine our highest paid player in David De Gea being dropped to the bench despite his recent performances. It'd literally be Sanchez all over again and with him just out the door, you'd think the club would learn. Then again, I can't see Henderson being happy to sit on the bench next season.

We've now got two first team quality goalkeepers earning big big money on our wage bill. Some would say it's great and it will bring the best out of both keepers but i just feel with the goalkeeper position it's different than say having two No 9s competing for the first team

Some of you get wayyyy to concerned with wages. Even before we offloaded a bunch of senior players recently , our wage to revenue was relatively low. I’d say we are now prob have the lowest wage to revenue bills in the league. Plenty of room for some world class signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

xtal191 wrote: »

Well considering we decided to pay DDG £375k a week we set this sort of precedent.

Romero was/is on 70k. He’s probably out the door I’d say now.

It is a bit crazy (even before Henderson’s contract, more so now) that our second choice keeper is being paid more than most starters in the league.

I believe Henderson is viewed as DDG replacement, and the club had to offer him attractive wages/contract as otherwise he’d move on. Papers were reporting that Chelsea wanted him. I just hope he gets a fair shout at competing for the job.

We’ll have to wait and see confirmed wage but it wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Romero, Grant, Peirrera and Bishop are on somewhere between 100-150k between them too.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Some of you get wayyyy to concerned with wages. Even before we offloaded a bunch of senior players recently , our wage to revenue was relatively low. I’d say we are now prob have the lowest wage to revenue bills in the league. Plenty of room for some world class signings.

I think the point being made was the difficulty selling players on when they are such huge wages. No one else will pay similar for most of them and it invites problems.

Having said that De Gea really had earned it at the club unlike others. It’s just really unfortunate his form has fallen off a cliff the last couple of seasons.

• Advertisement

Wait until Pogba signs an extension and the club PR team will milk it for everything they can. That will be us done for the summer:)

I think the point being made was the difficulty selling players on when they are such huge wages. No one else will pay similar for most of them and it invites problems.

Having said that De Gea really had earned it at the club unlike others. It’s just really unfortunate his form has fallen off a cliff the last couple of seasons.

That’s fair but I suppose we aren’t a selling club. If the club is signing him up like that it has to accept that it will have to possibly payoff a player when leaving. Madrid have exactly the same problem (Bale and Rodriquez) but it doesn’t seem to slow them down.

If Henderson didn’t work out in 2 years he’s still young enough to get a fee and you use some of that fee to make his move palatable.

I don’t see it as an issue that cant be resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Well considering we decided to pay DDG £375k a week we set this sort of precedent.

Romero was/is on 70k. He’s probably out the door I’d say now.

It is a bit crazy (even before Henderson’s contract, more so now) that our second choice keeper is being paid more than most starters in the league.

I believe Henderson is viewed as DDG replacement, and the club had to offer him attractive wages/contract as otherwise he’d move on. Papers were reporting that Chelsea wanted him. I just hope he gets a fair shout at competing for the job.

We’ll have to wait and see confirmed wage but it wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Oh I agree our wage structure is a ****ing mess.

Thing is now, if I'm a player looking to sign for UTD and I see the backup goalkeeper is on 120k a week well then I'm gonna be wanting a stupid wage too.

Its different if he left and went to Chelsea and was paid similar because he'd instantly be there number one. But at the end of the day they're paying 120k a week to someone who will more than likely play **** all next season.

That’s fair but I suppose we aren’t a selling club. If the club is signing him up like that it has to accept that it will have to possibly payoff a player when leaving. Madrid have exactly the same problem (Bale and Rodriquez) but it doesn’t seem to slow them down.

If Henderson didn’t work out in 2 years he’s still young enough to get a fee and you use some of that fee to make his move palatable.

I don’t see it as an issue that cant be resolved.

I was referring to De Gea.

The Sanchez situation was appalling.

Also I don’t agree that it isn’t an issue. We are a selling club to the extent that we have a lot of mediocre players at the club that need to be sold.
    One of the major issues with moving them is the inflated wages that they are on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

We likely had no choice regarding the wage.

If we wanted Henderson to agree to stay we had to pay him the big bucks he could got else where + a chunk on top due to the fact he will be playing less than he would elsewhere.

Still a good deal to get him tied down. Far from ideal to be paying the back up that much but its more important not to be loosing him.

I was referring to De Gea.

The Sanchez situation was appalling.

Also I don’t agree that it isn’t an issue. We are a selling club to the extent that we have a lot of mediocre players at the club that need to be sold.
    One of the major issues with moving them is the inflated wages that they are on.

Sanchez yes, but Doesn’t every Big club have a similar problem? Edit: sorry think I might if misunderstood your point on DDG.

You have to balance off how much you want a player (Henderson), with how much you can sell him for potentially (few quid even if he doesn’t work out) and what he might reasonably get at another club.

Would he get a lot less then 120k a week at most clubs if leaving? He’d be looking for an epl club, I don’t think that’s a huge stumbling block.

Edit: I agree with everybody here, our wage structure is not awesome but I’m not sure Henderson’s contract wi be an issue one way or another.

• Advertisement

120k a week on a 6 year deal is good for both utd and henderson. Happy to see he has signed up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Yep who cares, we cant point at Chelsea bolstering their squad and also complain about paying players big money to sit on the bench we cant have both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Glad to hear Henderson is signed a long term deal, big future ahead of him. Money is a different situation.

Wish there was less United talk about contracts/Maguire situation and more transfer news.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

At least United giving out a 30million plus contract suggests they may not be worried about the covid impact to the degree we may have thought before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

120k a week on a 6 year deal is good for both utd and henderson. Happy to see he has signed up

Would you not worry that Henderson needs to be playing regularly to keep imporivng or even hold his current level?
    Even right now there are questions about is he good enough to United number 1,

If Dé Gea isn't leaving in the next two years what's the point, You pay a sub keeper huge wages to sit on the bench and by the time he becomes number one he hasn't played enough to be good enough,

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement