Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National Party

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Kinda weird that this thread has 17 pages given that:
    • The National Party does not have a single elected representative
    • In last years General Election their total number of votes, 4,773 ranked them as the 14th most popular party
    • To put that number in perspective, had they concentrated that number in a single constituency they still wouldn't have gotten their candidate elected
    • To further put it in perspective, a candidate for the local elections in 2019 got 4,069 votes in a single ward
    • They didn't even win the battle between them and the other far-right parties, IFP and Renua who both polled higher totals.

Every party has to start somewhere but the NP are a long long way from the mainstream as the title of this thread suggests.

They're basically in a similar situation to where the BNP were in the UK 20 years ago. Similarly to the BNP, I think the stigma surrounding the NP and their leader will mean that they never enter the mainstream. However it is very likely that a future party, one that has a more media savvy leader who is less explicit about their bigotry, could have some success in the way that UKIP did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think this is a fantastic development for society as a whole.

The Right are the most marginalized politician demographic in this country and it's heartening that they and standing up and having their voices heard.

A rich tapestry of political views is to be welcomed. It makes the political landscape more diverse and colourful where all views and opinions are valued.

For too long political minorities have been repressed which is why I am recommending to the Department of Justice that political minorities be included as a protected demographic in the upcoming hate speech laws. Noone should be excluded. Spreading hate against peoples strongly held minority political beliefs is reprehensible.

Exclusion, vilification and demonization are the tactics of totalitarian states. We must heed the warning signs, not be complacent lest we sleepwalk away our hard fought democratic rights and country.

It's time to stand up to political exclusion. If you do noting you are part of the problem.

#standuptopolicialexclusion

Political exclusion... Hateful views and a lack of any real policies that go beyond their hateful views would tend to be the reason the national party are an extreme minority party. So glad to say your effort to protect groups that engage in hate speech will fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭newhouse87

The lads involved in the national party are mental and imo racist as ****, i consider myself right wing, but Barrett et al are nutters. A party with guys like him at the helm have no chance of getting in. They just feed the lefts narrative that Ireland is a racist hellhole and give air to the likes of crazy ebun joseph who is in fact very racist herself but obviously wont be called out on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Political exclusion... Hateful views and a lack of any real policies

This isn’t a thread about SF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

It's not so why bring them into it?

dan1895 wrote: »
    It's not so why bring them into it?

He was describing SF.

Ah someone is saying bad things about the NP, better bad mouth SF to deflect.

Ah someone is saying bad things about the NP, better bad mouth SF to deflect.

No, he was describing SF. I pointed out that this wasn’t an SF thread. Where did I bad mouth SF?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

.anon. wrote: »
    One's a social care worker, who also participates in left-wing activism. The other... well, I don't know. I somehow doubt he offers anything productive to society when he's not hitting middle-aged women over the head, but I could be wrong. You can disagree with someone's politics without wrongly viewing them as a loser.

Left wing activism you say, what would that consist of then?

• Advertisement

He was describing SF.

I was describing a party that is led by a guy who infamously got caught out for doing speeches for neo Nazis in Germany. Now he uses social media for racist dog whistling.. You're free to dodge this but it's not gonna change what the party is and the type of people that support them..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,557 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

it is very likely that a future party, one that has a more media savvy leader who is less explicit about their bigotry, could have some success in the way that UKIP did.

Is it, given that, as such parties have never even threatened mediocrity in Ireland before?

I was describing a party that is led by a guy who infamously got caught out for doing speeches for neo Nazis in Germany. Now he uses social media for racist dog whistling.. You're free to dodge this but it's not gonna change what the party is and the type of people that support them..

Why are you bringing Sean Russell into this discussion?

No, he was describing SF. I pointed out that this wasn’t an SF thread. Where did I bad mouth SF?

He literally mentioned the National Party and then accurately describes them. You brought SF into this.

He literally mentioned the National Party and then accurately describes them. You brought SF into this.

No, he described SF. I asked why he brought SF into the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

newhouse87 wrote: »
    They just feed the lefts narrative that Ireland is a racist hellhole and give air to the likes of crazy ebun joseph who is in fact very racist herself but obviously wont be called out on it.
    Looks like you just did call her out on it, though you didn't provide any evidence or examples.
    AllForIt wrote: »
    Spreading hate against peoples strongly held minority political beliefs is reprehensible.
    Even when those minority political beliefs are focused around spreading hate against minorities?

Why are you bringing Sean Russell into this discussion?

Have you a link to Sean Russell's social media platforms?

Looks like you just did call her out on it, though you didn't provide any evidence or examples.

Even when those minority political beliefs are focused around spreading hate against minorities?

Hi Andy how is your Sunday going?

Have you a link to Sean Russell's social media platforms?

I’m not on Twatter or Facepuke, thanks.

I’m not on Twatter or Facepuke, thanks.

Missing the point now, purposely so.

• Advertisement

Hi Andy how is your Sunday going?

Good thanks, and yourself?

Do you have any examples of that racism you mentioned when you called out the person who supposedly can't be called out?

Missing the point now, purposely so.

Probably locked like some other SF members when their more unsavoury tweets come to the attention of the media. Reada Cronin etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The lads involved in the national party are mental and imo racist as ****, i consider myself right wing, but Barrett et al are nutters. A party with guys like him at the helm have no chance of getting in. They just feed the lefts narrative that Ireland is a racist hellhole and give air to the likes of crazy ebun joseph who is in fact very racist herself but obviously wont be called out on it.

Spot on.

Barrett doesn't even want EE people here, folks who come to work and have no problem integrating with us.

There is room for a party from the right but the NP aint it and as long as looneys like him are shouting loudest it makes it harder for it to happen.

Good thanks, and yourself?

Do you have any examples of that racism you mentioned when you called out the person who supposedly can't be called out?

I said wont be called out, not can't andy.

No, he described SF. I asked why he brought SF into the thread.

No, you're just being an idiot. I'm far from a Sinn Fein supporter firstly. Although I can think of a fair few reasons that they're different from the National Party. Certain members have expressed hateful views and I would say they tend to deal with it poorly but they do condemn those views. But there is legitimate problematic parts of the party.

However unlike the national party, their platform is not hate speech and they're far from a one trick party, they do have policies beyond the united Ireland stuff (that's in reference to only having a single focus). On top of that their general political stances aren't that of a minority.

Also I'm happy to say people like Russell no longer deserve commemoration due to his actions.

This does seem to be more a case of you being a fan of the national party and dodging how horrible they are. Thankfully they will never get anywhere in Irish politics and I'm happy for you to waste your votes on Barrett and Co.

No, you're just being an idiot. I'm far from a Sinn Fein supporter firstly. Although I can think of a fair few reasons that they're different from the National Party. Certain members have expressed hateful views and I would say they tend to deal with it poorly but they do condemn those views. But there is legitimate problematic parts of the party.

However unlike the national party, their platform is not hate speech and they're far from a one trick party, they do have policies beyond the united Ireland stuff (that's in reference to only having a single focus). On top of that their general political stances aren't that of a minority.

Also I'm happy to say people like Russell no longer deserve commemoration due to his actions.

This does seem to be more a case of you being a fan of the national party and dodging how horrible they are. Thankfully they will never get anywhere in Irish politics and I'm happy for you to waste your votes on Barrett and Co.

I know nothing about the National Party.

I saw you describe SF - a ‘hateful’ party with no policies and I replied saying that this wasn’t an SF thread. Not that hard to grasp.

I know nothing of this party that I'm going to spend time on deflecting from on a thread about them. No one's buying that crap.

I know nothing of this party that I'm going to spend time on deflecting from on a thread about them. No one's buying that crap.

Who is ‘deflecting’?

Poster describes SF, I mention that this isn’t an SF thread and I’m ‘deflecting’?

I said wont be called out, not can't andy.

Didn't you contradict your own claim by calling her out yourself though?

You didn't provide any examples though.

• Advertisement

Didn't you contradict your own claim by calling her out yourself though?

You didn't provide any examples though.

Wont be called out by people that matter(media etc), i don't matter. Anybody who is an advocate for critical race theory is a racist, my opinion, im sure you dont agree and thats ok.

Advertisement