Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National Party

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

DerekC16 wrote: »
    A councillor disagreeing with him is a little different than him being thrown out of the hall which is what Dan Breen claimed. It never happened. The people of Borrisokane dont need Joe Hannigan to speak for them.

Any chance of that link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭newhouse87

A councillor disagreeing with him is a little different than him being thrown out of the hall which is what Dan Breen claimed. It never happened. The people of Borrisokane dont need Joe Hannigan to speak for them.

They certainly dont need barrett to speak for them, i consider myself right wing, but come on he's bloody mental and is most certainly far right which no society needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭DerekC16

dan1895 wrote: »
    Any chance of that link?

All you have to do is type Justin Barrett and Borrisokane into YouTube.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭DelaneysMule

All you have to do is type Justin Barrett and Borrisokane into YouTube.

Did you think it was creepy back when he was in his late 30s and went off with a young woman half his age? Can't imagine too many would want that for their daughters at that age.... a man nearing 40.

Did you think it was creepy back when he was in his late 30s and went off with a young woman half his age? Can't imagine too many would want that for their daughters at that age.... a man nearing 40.

I havent given the mans private life that much thought. You on the other hand seem a bit obsessed with it. But seeing as you asked, it's not an issue for me. I see they have two young children and seem happy enough. Fair play to them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

I havent given the mans private life that much thought. You on the other hand seem a bit obsessed with it. But seeing as you asked, it's not an issue for me. I see they have two young children and seem happy enough. Fair play to them.

Why would someone preach something they don't believe in? Thats the question you should be asking.

Why would someone preach something they don't believe in? Thats the question you should be asking.

So hes a bit of a hypocrite, hes the leader of a political party, am I supposed to be surprised that he is hypocritical? Most of the people involved in politics are hypocrites.

tigger123 wrote: »
    The proof of the pudding is in the eating OP. It's up to the National Party to put their ideas out there and have people decide for themselves at the ballot box whether or not they support them. It's incumbent on them to make their argument.

In the internet age, there is no excuse for not being able to engage voters; there are no gatekeepers to the public as there was in the days when traditional media (newspapers, tv and radio) could influence whether or not someone's message was heard.

So far, the National Party have been told to get f*cked by the Irish electorate. The message is loud and clear.

They say a week is a long time in politics so your point that the 2020 election can be used as a reference is now well obsolete. Alot has happened since. The 2020 election was held before the pandemic. For one, Sinn Fein and all the other windbags disappeared when a crisis emerged. People have realised their policies are fluff and when the real work needs to be done they are nowhere to be seen. Since then, the people have seen massive job losses (163 days in total lost - the biggest lockdown in Europe and 3rd strictest in the world behind Eritrea and Cuba). The reason for such a strict lockdown is to protect the shambles that is the HSE. If it becomes a case that hospitals are overflown, then the numbers are crunched and all of a sudden people will begin to ask as to why a service that millions is poured into, are low on vital resources. In the meantime, people are neglected with other health issues (mental health, cancer screenings, etc)

There were protests held by NP/IFP before the lockdown that drew a paltry crowd but now crowds have significantly increased with every protest. Conservative Ireland is finding its voice.

Sinn Fein started with one seat in the 1990s and now they are the joint biggest party in the country. It proves with time and pressure, the hardest rocks can be broken. It's only a matter of time before ordinary people begin to take a chance on the conservative parties. I would think they will get 1/2 seats next election at least

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

He says he's changed his mind on the issue

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/barrett-denies-hypocrisy-over-divorce-u-turn-ppqh60lgf

“Some people on Twitter raised the issue recently suggesting I was a hypocrite because my own relationship broke up and I campaigned against divorce,” he said. “I don’t think it’s hypocritical to have changed one’s mind between 1995 and now on the issue of divorce.”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The problem really is that there aren’t any traditional right wing parties anymore. It’s all populism and thinly veiled xenophobia now. Or else it’s the likes of Renua pushing a religious angle that’s anathema to most voters.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

They say a week is a long time in politics so your point that the 2020 election can be used as a reference is now well obsolete. Alot has happened since. The 2020 election was held before the pandemic. For one, Sinn Fein and all the other windbags disappeared when a crisis emerged. People have realised their policies are fluff and when the real work needs to be done they are nowhere to be seen. Since then, the people have seen massive job losses (163 days in total lost - the biggest lockdown in Europe and 3rd strictest in the world behind Eritrea and Cuba). The reason for such a strict lockdown is to protect the shambles that is the HSE. If it becomes a case that hospitals are overflown, then the numbers are crunched and all of a sudden people will begin to ask as to why a service that millions is poured into, are low on vital resources. In the meantime, people are neglected with other health issues (mental health, cancer screenings, etc)

There were protests held by NP/IFP before the lockdown that drew a paltry crowd but now crowds have significantly increased with every protest. Conservative Ireland is finding its voice.

Sinn Fein started with one seat in the 1990s and now they are the joint biggest party in the country. It proves with time and pressure, the hardest rocks can be broken. It's only a matter of time before ordinary people begin to take a chance on the conservative parties. I would think they will get 1/2 seats next election at least

The government needs a hard reset from all facets I agree. The claws of corruption and cronyism is buried too deep in Ireland, one might not be at fault for thinking only a forceful and physical removal can fix it. However, on the issues of same-sex marriage, abortion, drug legalization, immigration (Barrett wants to deport legal immigrants, even the ones who are naturalized), reinstating Catholicism, and economic isolation. It's going to be a hard sell to try and get the votes of a population that are polarized to these views. Doesn't matter how much they hate Varadkar.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,060 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The protest on Saturday gone were not solely attended by NP supporters, they managed to attract people to protest against an unprecedented event, an accident of timing mixed with opportunism.

As you say, a week is a long time in politics and the overwhelmingly negative reaction to the protest would render the alarmist notion you are putting forward that the NP would now do well in the next election null and void.

The pandemic has created a lot of uncertainty, but the main issues for the majority of people are financial ones and those concerns cannot and will not ever be dealt with by a bunch of windbags like the NP who beyond being able to identify who they don't want in our country have little else to offer.

Ireland already has two major Conservative political parties in the shape of FF and FG, so the notion that we're about to "take a chance on the conservative parties" is peculiar.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

It's all a scam to find wedge issues to trick people into voting for tax cuts for multi multi millionaires and of course there's money to be made from advocating for tax cuts for millionaires.

MadYaker wrote: »
    The problem really is that there aren’t any traditional right wing parties anymore. It’s all populism and thinly veiled xenophobia now. Or else it’s the likes of Renua pushing a religious angle that’s anathema to most voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

I think if you are going to campaign on issues that impact peoples personal lives then your own one is going to come into question.
    IIRC it there was a member of the green party under scrutiny recently for his shares in the oil industry, so similar thing really.
    The thing with the national party though is that this "do as I say not as I do" seems to be a common theme, not just with Justin. The party campaign against "non irish" and immigration and economic migrants but yet many of their members admitt to working abroad themselves for a time or to being in relationships with people who are "non irish". So its confusing you know?

I think if you are going to campaign on issues that impact peoples personal lives then your own one is going to come into question.
    IIRC it there was a member of the green party under scrutiny recently for his shares in the oil industry, so similar thing really.
    The thing with the national party though is that this "do as I say not as I do" seems to be a common theme, not just with Justin. The party campaign against "non irish" and immigration and economic migrants but yet many of their members admitt to working abroad themselves for a time or to being in relationships with people who are "non irish". So its confusing you know?

Who are these people and where can I see their admissions on working abroad and being in relationships with non Irish people?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I think ireland has a vacancy for a conservative party....this might fill the vacuum of the far right emergence and yet be decent and not at all racist.

No american wokeism imports
    Housing
    Constant review of immigration
    review of commitments to refugees
    Saying no to stuff occasionally
    Economy

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As a politician whose agenda is obsessed with interfering in the private lives of people, he specifically doesn't get a pass on this.

Nothing about his private life should be beyond scrutiny.

What's good for the goose...

I think ireland has a vacancy for a conservative party....this might fill the vacuum of the far right emergence and yet be decent and not at all racist.

No american wokeism imports
    Housing
    Constant review of immigration
    review of commitments to refugees
    Saying no to stuff occasionally
    Economy

That vacancy, if such there is, has been there since the demise of the PDs. Why do you think nobody has come forward to fill it? As the PD guiding light himself McDowell says, just because there is a gap in the market doesn't mean there is a market in the gap...

That vacancy, if such there is, has been there since the demise of the PDs. Why do you think nobody has come forward to fill it? As the PD guiding light himself McDowell says, just because there is a gap in the market doesn't mean there is a market in the gap...

Why do you think it can't be filled now or later?

Why do you think it can't be filled now or later?

Efforts to date haven't exactly been a roaring success: Libertas, Renua, Peter Casey, and of course the subject of this every thread...

• Advertisement

Efforts to date haven't exactly been a roaring success: Libertas, Renua, Peter Casey, and of course the subject of this every thread...

I'm not so certain that no road leads to success for the right wing in this country. We should not sleep on such a possibility.

Some people slept on Brexit. People slept on Trump 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

If Justin Barrett believed in his own principles he would have a vasectomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

Of course, you can see these admission right on the National Party website would you believe
    Eileen Gunning and Paul McWeeney both reference working abroad in their bios https://nationalparty.ie/candidates/#

Eileen Gunning is reported to have worked and married in Dubai previously. I don't have the original link to this information. However, when she returned to Ireland she became embroiled in a court battle for her parents home. These court documents give some insight:https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5da059604653d07dedfd611d
    https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5da02b7d4653d058440f98cb

"Ms Gunning who had been living aboard for some years, returned with her daughter to live in the cottage in 1991"
    "Eileen Gunning (otherwise Eileen Hameed)"

Her daughter also includes Hameed as part of her surname.

So you can make all of that what you will. BTW I have no issues with them working abroad or having these relationships.
    What I do have an issue with is that they campaign for policies that restrict others from doing they exact same things as they did!

Also I am in agreement with many posters here, Ireland does need a strong party that will challenge some of the status quo to a certain extent on immigration, especially in light of O'Gorman recent announcements, however the national party ain't it. All they do is categorise these issues as antics of the "extreme right" and thus ensure that these issues aren't taking seriously.

Of course, you can see these admission right on the National Party website would you believe
    Eileen Gunning and Paul McWeeney both reference working abroad in their bios https://nationalparty.ie/candidates/#

Eileen Gunning is reported to have worked and married in Dubai previously. I don't have the original link to this information. However, when she returned to Ireland she became embroiled in a court battle for her parents home. These court documents give some insight:https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5da059604653d07dedfd611d
    https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5da02b7d4653d058440f98cb

"Ms Gunning who had been living aboard for some years, returned with her daughter to live in the cottage in 1991"
    "Eileen Gunning (otherwise Eileen Hameed)"

Her daughter also includes Hameed as part of her surname.

So you can make all of that what you will. BTW I have no issues with them working abroad or having these relationships.
    What I do have an issue with is that they campaign for policies that restrict others from doing they exact same things as they did!

Also I am in agreement with many posters here, Ireland does need a strong party that will challenge some of the status quo to a certain extent on immigration, especially in light of O'Gorman recent announcements, however the national party ain't it. All they do is categorise these issues as antics of the "extreme right" and thus ensure that these issues aren't taking seriously.

Fair points.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I would think they will get 1/2 seats next election at least

:pac:

What you're totally overlooking is that SF built up a base with years of activism at local level, turning that into getting councillors elected, turning that into getting TDs elected. NP, IFP, etc can't be bothered with any of that. All they want is stupid demos where idiots cheer and stroke the ego of their leader, it's highly debatable whether they are serious about being elected at all because they refuse to do ANY of the work to build an actual political power base. I hate SF but have to admit they put in a massive effort at local level to engage with and win over voters and get their vote out.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Renua were such a relic from the past they were doomed

I guess we need a conservative team with likeable leaders!

Renua were such a relic from the past they were doomed

I guess we need a conservative team with likeable leaders!

Inevitably a conservative leader with charisma will appear, and you might see votes moving in that direction.

If that happens, the same people will say "we didn't see it coming!"

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,060 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Inevitably a conservative leader with charisma will appear, and you might see votes moving in that direction.

If that happens, the same people will say "we didn't see it coming!"

:rolleyes:

You do realise that our current coalition government is made up of two dyed in the wool conservative political parties?

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    You do realise that our current coalition government is made up of two dyed in the wool conservative political parties?

*Looks at thread title*

Are we really talking about centre right in this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭DelaneysMule

seamus wrote: »
    As a politician whose agenda is obsessed with interfering in the private lives of people, he specifically doesn't get a pass on this.

Nothing about his private life should be beyond scrutiny.

What's good for the goose...

Yes you can expect all of the skeletons in your closet to come out in their line of work. People will look into this more and more if the NP ever is to get anywhere. Needless to say if I had a daughter who was in her late teens the last thing I'd want is a man double her age who had been married and had kids to be trying it on with her but maybe that's just me....

Advertisement