Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National Party

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

I heard Roy Keane is a National Party supporter. Makes sense in my eyes. Keane was always a no nonsense type of guy. A celebrity endorsement would do the NP a whole lot of good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭DelaneysMule

coinop wrote: »
    I heard Roy Keane is a National Party supporter. Makes sense in my eyes. Keane was always a no nonsense type of guy. A celebrity endorsement would do the NP a whole lot of good.

I would be really surprised to see Roy being a supporter of that group of weirdos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Facebook was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

"No nonsense" isnt a term I'd associate with that bunch of delusional freaks. Neither do I picture Keane having anything to do with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,508 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I bet you didn't. Or if you did the person who said it was drunk or on drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

nullzero wrote: »
    We're not underestimating the support for far right beliefs in Ireland, if anything we're vastly over estimating it.

Completely agreed.

The National Party might attract some who could be identified as far right. But it also attracts pro-life Catholics, Euroskeptics, and others who are simply not the far right. So even the minuscule percentage who vote for the NP are doing so for a multiplicity of reasons besides support for some far-right ideology.
    Tony EH wrote: »
    FF are on the right of the political spectrum. They have always been on the right of the political spectrum.

Fianna Fail, which presided over the biggest expansion of the public sector and the welfare system in the history of the state, are a bunch of right-wingers? That's hardly a credible claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

So people are just making stuff up now that they'd like to be true? good stuff - I definitely can't see any downsides to that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I heard Bono and Glen Hansard will be at the rally on Saturday. Also, Larry has left U2 and Dee Wall is the new drummer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yes, getting retired footballers involved in extreme right wing campaigns couldn't possibly go wrong.

David-Icke-hero.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Roy Keane left his village for a few years so no chance he'd have that low level mentality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,331 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

He lives in England. It's very unlikely he's heard of them. Most people living in Ireland haven't. Your thread title is still a joke.

Scrap the cap!

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    MM is as left socially and economically as anyone in the Labour party or the Greens

Micheal Martin is at odds on these issues with much or even most of his parliamentary party. He knows the party needs to try to appeal to young urban voters (good luck with that) if it is to have a future, its rural conservative voter base is literally dying off.

At this stage FF really only represent OAPs many of whom profited from the boom years, most people younger than that got burned by the FF crash and will not forgive or forget.

FF are aligned with the liberal group in the European Parliament but that's only because they won't join the same group as FG and the only other option is the loony/europhobe group. From Wiki:
    In October 2009, it was reported that Fianna Fáil had irritated its new Liberal colleagues by failing to vote for the motion on press freedom in Italy (resulting in its defeat by a majority of one in the Parliament) and by trying to scupper their party colleagues' initiative for gay rights. In January 2010, a report by academic experts writing for the votewatch.eu site found that FF "do not seem to toe the political line" of the ALDE Group "when it comes to budget and civil liberties" issues.

Liberal, they are not!

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Invidious wrote: »
    Fianna Fail, which presided over the biggest expansion of the public sector and the welfare system in the history of the state, are a bunch of right-wingers? That's hardly a credible claim.

This essentially equates to "X party is not as right wing as I am, so therefore they're left wing/not right wing", which is the political thinking of a 5 year old.

Whether you or anyone else likes it or not, FF have always identified as being a conservative entity in Irish politics and school yard attempts at reasoning aren't going to change that.

BTW, the public sector and welfare system is an integral part of Ireland and no party is going to try and eliminate either, because they know that it would be to their detriment. This is especially the case where the welfare system is concerned as Ireland needs a robust welfare system to function. We, as a nation simply don't produce the work needed for our population and go through extended periods of high unemployment. Without the welfare system we have, we would be much worse off and every party on island knows that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭DelaneysMule

https://twitter.com/soundmigration/status/1367554301485338627

Off to Parlor with comrades like Gemma.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

Tony EH wrote: »

Whether you or anyone else likes it or not, FF have always identified as being a conservative entity in Irish politics and school yard attempts at reasoning aren't going to change that.

BTW, the public sector and welfare system is an integral part of Ireland and no party is going to try and eliminate either, because they know that it would be to their detriment. This is especially the case where the welfare system is concerned as Ireland needs a robust welfare system to function. We, as a nation simply don't produce the work needed for our population and go through extended periods of high unemployment. Without the welfare system we have, we would be much worse off and every party on island knows that.

when did FF ever identify as a 'conservative' party? they may have had the Progressive Democrats with them for many years - but that was their way of disseminating Euro.Union Structural Funds, i.e. not conservative.

Off to Parlor with comrades like Gemma.

The same dozen crackpots talking shíte to each other :pac:

Scrap the cap!

• So people are just making stuff up now that they'd like to be true? good stuff - I definitely can't see any downsides to that....

Welcome to the modern day iteration of the Internet.

There's not a chance in hell Roy Keane is a supporter of these lunatics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

when did FF ever identify as a 'conservative' party? they may have had the Progressive Democrats with them for many years - but that was their way of disseminating Euro.Union Structural Funds, i.e. not conservative.

The Progressive Democrats never identified themselves as conservative, either, it should be noted. They were explicitly a socially and economically liberal party.

Micheál Martin stated in 2016: “We are a bit to the left; historically we always have been in terms of social services, in terms of education, in terms of the health services.”

There's no basis for the claim that "FF have always identified as being a conservative entity in Irish politics." Fianna Fáil is currently identifying as a party on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Big news If true. He seems to be a very proud Irish man so it may be that he is attracted by their brand of nationalism as compared to the likes of the shinners

Big news If true. He seems to be a very proud Irish man so it may be that he is attracted by their brand of nationalism as compared to the likes of the shinners
    You're incredibly gullible if you believe that nonsense.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

You're incredibly gullible if you believe that nonsense.....

I’m just saying if true it could be a game changer

People would sit up and take notice

I’m just saying if true it could be a game changer

People would sit up and take notice
    If true... It's a load of bollocks. Firstly, Keane is incredibly private so I can't see his political views making it into the public domain via the guy who started the national party thread... Secondly, he's intelligent so it's unlikely that the NP would attract him.... You're treating a NP fanboy's rumour as plausible with zero basis. Enjoy the fantasies. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

It'd be a sticky one for the NP

Surely they wouldn't welcome the support of someone who walked out on their country at a world cup...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,636 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Oh, God, they never identified themselves as a conservative party. They're not mad, like.

It's just that external observers routinely identify them as a right of centre party, in terms of the norms of European politics. And their international alliances and identifications have mostly been with right-of-centre parties- Gaullist parties in France, Forza Italia, etc. Right now they sit in the European Parliament as part fo the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe, which is more centrist, but i's not an easy fit; FF tend to be to the right of the rest of ALDE on social issues.

(The truth is that they'd rather be part of the EPP/Christian Democrats, but Fine Gael got there first, and aren't leaving.)

Invidious wrote: »
    There's no basis for the claim that "FF have always identified as being a conservative entity in Irish politics."

The party that voted against legally selling johnnies over the counter* during the height of the AIDS epidemic, campaigned against divorce twice, tried to prevent a pregnant raped woman from leaving the country, tried twice ten years apart to get us to vote against suicidal pregnant women being allowed to have an abortion, did a "deal" with the religious orders which put almost all of the compensation bill for their crimes onto the taxpayer.

Yeah, not conservative atall...

* Condoms were legally available from (some) pharmacists since Charlie Haughey's 1979 "Irish solution to an Irish problem" - but you needed to get a doctor's prescription!!!

Noel Browne (Former minister for health, Mother and Child scheme) said:
    "The Minister made the remarkable statement that this Bill was an Irish solution to an Irish problem. That was one of the unwisest statements of all made about the Bill. Some Deputies said that the Bill is more concerned with protecting the political interests of Fianna Fáil than it is with protecting women from unwanted pregnancies. ... This is the Catholic Irish republican solution to the Irish problem in the Twenty-six Counties"
    "The Minister said the Bill was guided by certain principles and I suppose that is what he meant when he described it as an Irish solution to an Irish problem; a Roman Catholic solution to an Irish problem."

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The only main party to not support the repeal movement at a party level. Yeah, they arent conservative at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

ELM327 wrote: »
    The only main party to not support the repeal movement at a party level. Yeah, they arent conservative at all.

Aontu didn't support repeal, Aontu are left wing on everything bar abortion

Abortion is not the only gauge

Aontu weren't formally formed until 7 months after the vote to repeal the 8th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

yeah, anti abortion sentiment is a-political, regardless of the many that try and make it a 'far right' view, its a very moderate view on either side of the aisle really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭DerekC16

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Aontu weren't formally formed until 7 months after the vote to repeal the 8th.

True, but the only reason the party even exist is due to a split from Sinn Fein over the abortion issue.

Advertisement