Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National Party

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

The NP is a bunch of homophobic and xenophobic chauvinists. Their leader was associating himself with the NPD in Germany which speaks volumes. They are made of antisemitic football hooligans and holocaust deniers. They're as far right as it gets and adore Adolf Hitler. Lots of their members have a violent history and are also involved with Blood & Honor (including combat 18). Nothing to do with patriotism.

I am glad that the Irish people have sense and are not voting for this lot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

GT89 wrote: »
    Is anyone actually listening to what Justin Barrett is saying? He is saying that the state should control the creation of money and not private banks. Surely this is sensible?

Classic dog whistles. Like "international financiers".

He wrong even if he isn't blowing a dog whistle. He hasn't a notion

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

GT89 wrote: »
    Is anyone actually listening to what Justin Barrett is saying? He is saying that the state should control the creation of money and not private banks. Surely this is sensible?

sounds okay to me. but what is 'creation'. Sometimes it might be like musical chairs; when the music stops, some will have more than others. ...As usual.

Seems like you've done the expansion yourself and missed the target by several kilometres.

Once I'm inside the 5km I'm grand.

But how do you feel that boards is racist/fascist/sexist/homophobic/islamaphobic/insertyourownphobia?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

The Nal wrote: »
    Assume these halfwits will all be out tomorrow?

Yep. Many dogwhistles included.

Ews7PigWEAE5psT?format=jpg&name=small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

sounds okay to me. but what is 'creation'. Sometimes it might be like musical chairs; when the music stops, some will have more than others. ...As usual.

Another Barrett fan. But they don't exist we are told.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,093 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Once I'm inside the 5km I'm grand.

But how do you feel that boards is racist/fascist/sexist/homophobic/islamaphobic/insertyourownphobia?

Did you read the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 arfur

micosoft wrote: »
    The 1930's called and asked for their Gold standard back. If you don't understand how the economy has worked since the late thirties and certainly since Bretton Woods you'd grasp that you and Barrett are not even wrong in your statement.

Who said anything about a gold standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Yep. Many dogwhistles included.

Ews7PigWEAE5psT?format=jpg&name=small

Wow. Right down to the SS lightning symbols... Assume Justin only wears Hugo Boss suits (bought in the communion section during the sales of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

arfur wrote: »
    Who said anything about a gold standard?

GT89 did. Because he knows so little about the topic he does not grasp what he is calling for...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

coolbeans wrote: »
    Has Justin ever had a job or has he always been a full time 'activist'? I must say whatever else about his blood and soil brand of nationalism the Hitleresque hairstyle is ripe for parody.

Worked in one of Pat McDonagh's several establishments in Ballinasloe in his Athlone IT days. Since then, no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

micosoft wrote: »
    GT89 did. Because he knows so little about the topic he does not grasp what he is calling for...

The gold standard and creation of money are two entirely different - though not entirely unrelated - topics. You're only demonstrating your own grasp of the topic by pretending state control of money creation necessarily means the return of the gold standard.

Either way, Ireland cannot chart its own course in terms of economic policy. We're a tiny open economy. Even prior to the Euro, Ireland linked the punt to the GBP. Dreams of Ireland somehow having total economic, cultural and political sovereignty are delusional. We'll always be linked to the fate of our European neighbors. The EU - or at least a similar organisation - at least gives us a voice in the decisions that affect us on a regional and global scale. The alternative is simply being a vassal state with at best nominal sovereignty.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Because you'd be pushing an open door? It's like a reunion round here some days.

...and a bunch of other stuff that I'm not going to quote here...

Mod: @the dunne, @AndrewJRenko: Seriously. Any more thread hijacks across the forum and I'm just going to jump straight to permanent forum bans. It's incessant, protracted, and enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

Sand wrote: »

Either way, Ireland cannot chart its own course in terms of economic policy. We're a tiny open economy. Even prior to the Euro, Ireland linked the punt to the GBP. Dreams of Ireland somehow having total economic, cultural and political sovereignty are delusional. The alternative is simply being a vassal state with at best nominal sovereignty.

Could a deal be done with the City? To keep some of different Euro country's money here?

This is a vassal state, at this very time. Great as they are - Next, PCWorld, H.Norman, Homebase[though this may be Australian now], M+S,Tesco,Costa, Argos...... there is just not enough firms here of just this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Could a deal be done with the City? To keep some of different Euro country's money here?
    You mean a deal with the City of London? No need; if you want people to deposit their money with you, you do a deal with them — it is their money, after all; they decide where to deposit it. There's no point in doing a deal with the bank they used to deposit their money in, but no longer do. It would be like trying to rent the house you want from the previous tenants rather than from the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This is a vassal state, at this very time. Great as they are - Next, PCWorld, H.Norman, Homebase[though this may be Australian now], M+S,Tesco,Costa, Argos...... there is just not enough firms here of just this country.

What on earth are you on about?

The point being made, which you replied to but ignored, is that we have never had a free floating currency of our own.

We had the link to sterling until 1979 - now that really was a vassal state. Interest rates decided in London and an excessively strong currency for our economy. It's amazing that a small, relatively impoverished exporting nation stuck with the link to Sterling for so long as it really disadvantaged our economy.

Then we entered the EMS - this allowed our currency to depreciate against Sterling while still remaining relatively stable against EEC currencies.

Then of course we joined the Euro but at a very different stage of our economic development than we were only twenty years before.

It's no coincidence that nobody who ever starts spouting claims that we are an "EU vassal state" can ever substantiate it or indeed give the slightest impression that they have any grasp of politics or economics whatsoever.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

As already said, there is no issue with non-Irish residents opening Euro accounts in Ireland already if they wish to. Any dealings would be governed by EU-UK agreements and laws though. Ireland cant sign separate deals when it comes to the EU single market.

Countries do most of their trade with their neighbors. Distant trade will always be a smaller portion. Geography and cultural/ethnic links make this true with only some very unusual exceptions due to regional conflicts or hatreds (I imagine Israeli goods aren't popular in Syria, Egypt or Jordan for example). So we're always going to see evidence of significant UK trade and investment in Ireland, vassal state or not.

It is a significant issue that domestic Irish enterprise hasn't developed to the same extent as foreign investment, but again - a tiny open economy with few natural resources isnt a good base for developing such enterprises.

To develop Irish enterprises, Ireland would still need easy access to inputs, and easy access to a huge market of consumers to get economy of scale going. Autarky has been tried. Only a tiny handful of continental countries (perhaps the US) could conceivably go that route. Ireland certainly cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I see the truth is coming out about their violent members

https://gcn.ie/national-party-member-pleads-guilty-assault-izzy-kamikaze/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Annasopra wrote: »

https://gcn.ie/national-party-member-pleads-guilty-assault-izzy-kamikaze/

I wonder if those who were claiming this attack was faked will have any comment to make on this development. I somehow doubt it.

dan1895 wrote: »
    I wonder if those who were claiming this attack was faked will have any comment to make on this development. I somehow doubt it.

Course not. All gone silent.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

dan1895 wrote: »

Well you know what threads to find them in.
    Given that most of them claim not to be NP supporters, probably trying to find a way to spin it.
    Since they aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the box, you can probably smell the smoke already.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Think that's the midget hitlers wife ?

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

it certainly is.

Which one, number 1 or number 2?
    Ah number 2 who is supposed to be a teacher

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Which one, number 1 or number 2?

that would be number 2. Though according to him she is actually number 1 as he had his first marriage annulled despite having 4 kids.

that would be number 2. Though according to him she is actually number 1 as he had his first marriage annulled despite having 4 kids.

Yep the way to erase a person when you are a hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,060 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Lol at Justin Barrett running in the Dublin bay south by election.

There are things running down people's trouser legs with more self awareness than that cretin.

He'll get less than 50 votes in that hotbed of ultra right wing activism, the Irish far right really are a laughing stock.

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    Lol at Justin Barrett running in the Dublin bay south by election.

There are things running down people's trouser legs with more self awareness than that cretin.

He'll get less than 50 votes in that hotbed of ultra right wing activism, the Irish far right really are a laughing stock.

Going by some people's posts on a good few threads on here, they have a lot more in common with him and his party than they would like to admit. They just know that the economic policies that the NP want to employ would mean the end of their jobs etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Gearoid88

Posts about bashing the fash on social media, shows up to fash protest and gets bashed. Life catches up quick.

Advertisement