Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National Party

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Please produce evidence of these tweets or withdraw your scurrilous victim blaming claim.

I had a look at her twitter there just for the craic and tbh I was hoping i'd catch you out.
    I couldn't find any reference to what the other poster referenced but what I did find was odd.

She spends a lot of her time trying to identify people at protests that she doesn't like. Pics of people posted with comments asking if anybody knows who they are.
    cos that isn't sinister at all. odd behaviour.

we have posters arguing that the national party are not fascist. some people wont accept that fascists at all.

I'm sure they exist but it so loosely applied by one side that it is meaningless now.

The NP aren't fascist (imo) they are a traditional conservative party you don't like them, that's fine and why should you - but they aren't anywhere close to a National Front or equivalent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,510 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

paw patrol wrote: »
    I'm sure they exist but it so loosely applied by one side that it is meaningless now.

The NP aren't fascist (imo) they are a traditional conservative party you don't like them, that's fine and why should you - but they aren't anywhere close to a National Front or equivalent.

any party headed by justin barrett is a lot more than a traditional conservative party. the man has history.

Eh, they most definitely are fascist. Barrett used give talks to outright Nazis...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

NP are facist, racist and anti-gay.... everything that Irish people should hope doesn't exist in Ireland...but unfortunately, there are a few thousand unwell individuals in this country who share their ignorant leanings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

NP are facist, racist and anti-gay.... everything that Irish people should hope doesn't exist in Ireland...but unfortunately, there are a few thousand unwell individuals in this country who share their ignorant leanings

Fortunately they do not number enough to be taken seriously and aren't a real problem.

In fact it's quite useful to have all those eejits in one place, easier to keep tabs on them.

The far right isn't rising in Ireland, it's a pathetic mess and easily manageable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

WrenBoy wrote: »
    No, do you reckon a woman assaulted in Dublin means that the Far Right are seizing power in Ireland, yes or no ?

Noone has said that. You are creating a silly strawman.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

nullzero wrote: »
    The cartoon they posted suggests that you and your ilk are making the National Party out to be a much bigger threat than they actually are.

The National Party are a joke, their supporters are idiots and they will carry out acts of violence and or stupidity and they deserve to be punished when that happens, they aren't receiving any sympathy here.

The notion that the National Party are poised to take control of Ireland and have storm troopers Goose stepping their way down O'Connell street whilst the rights of minorities are thrown into the wind and concentration camps being established in the Curragh are nothing more than the masochistic wet dreams of you and your ilk who seem determined to see all the above happen just so you can say "I told you so".

This is all your thoughts and fantasies though - nobody who expressed concern about the far right in Ireland has said anything like this ever.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

tenor.gif

LOL

The sheer lengths some of you on here go to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

:p:o

Come off it. Their leader has literally attended and spoke at NDP and Forza Nuova events. They're as fascist as they come.

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    [/IMG]
    LOL
    The sheer lengths some of you on here go to.

well insightful comment has me beaten.

:p:o

Come off it. Their leader has literally attended and spoke at NDP and Forza Nuova events. They're as fascist as they come.

ah yes, guilty by association .
    he "literally attended" ...the worst kind of attending.:pac:
    I see you are fascist for attending now....maybe the bishop was right about me

people who don't agree with you are "unwell"...that's the tolerance we want.

none will go further than me :pac:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/far-right-rally-had-welcome-for-irish-no-activist-1.1098691
    http://www.indymedia.ie/article/13470

It's well documented, his linked with outright Nazis is pretty clear.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I think you may want to stop and examine your own political beliefs if you think the NP are traditional conservatives.

They want to deport anyone who isn't ethnically Irish. They want to execute doctors who perform abortions.

They are a lunatic fringe on the right. They are fascists.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

°°°°°

Annasopra wrote: »
    This is all your thoughts and fantasies though - nobody who expressed concern about the far right in Ireland has said anything like this ever.

It's obviously written for comic effect, the possibility of which seems lost on you.

none will go further than me :pac:

Have you heard the pathetic little man speak? He's not guilty by association. He's guilty because he's a fascist

they/them/theirs

well insightful comment has me beaten.

I see you are fascist for attending now....maybe the bishop was right about me

Eh he was the guest of honour and spoke at these Neo Nazi rallies :rolleyes:

Terry Pratchet

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Justin Barrett was never in Italy or Germany. He never spoke at Neo Nazi Rallies with known Nazi extremists
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/far-right-rally-had-welcome-for-irish-no-activist-1.1098691
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/barrett-admits-attending-far-right-party-meetings-in-italy-germany-1.1098920

He was never convicted of Pro Life Riots
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/youth-defence-unrepentant-as-eight-convicted-26153253.html
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/pro-life-picket-riot-blamed-on-gardai-26152629.html

He never advocated murdering doctors who carry out abortions
    https://twitter.com/soundmigration/status/1402748641337618434

He was never in that nice Youth Defence who never had links with extremists
    https://www.hotpress.com/opinion/i-was-a-member-of-youth-defence-10023271
    https://www.lookleft.ie/2012/12/sinister-shadows/

His wife isnt a racist/extremist
    https://farrightobservatory.medium.com/national-party-propagandist-discusses-torturing-and-executing-children-823fa6585509
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/dublin-lord-mayor-hazel-chu-22958987

He doesnt advocate Hanging either
    https://img2.thejournal.ie/inline/5208960/original/?width=630&version=5208960

Their Louth Member Michael Quinn isnt a violent thug either
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/protester-beat-activist-with-tricolour-on-plank-39660339.html

Terry Pratchet

I mean honestly trying to claim Justin Barrett isnt a fascist is hilarious
    Brown shirts and skinheads, elderly Nazi heroes with memories of the good old days... and Justin Barrett, honoured guest from Ireland. Derek Scally reports from Berlin on the German extreme right group and the No to Nice campaigner

The video of the rally leaves little room for doubt as to what Germany's extreme right-wing National Democratic Party stands for.

Anti-semitic speeches are peppered with quotes from Adolf Hitler. There are claims that "Germany was the biggest victim of the second World War". Hundreds of skinheads give standing ovations to elderly Nazis.

Mr Justin Barrett, chief spokesman for the No to Nice Campaign and a leading light in Youth Defence, the anti-abortion group, is a guest of honour.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Murdering doctors is a cornerstone of traditional conservativeism, didn't you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I had a look at her twitter there just for the craic and tbh I was hoping i'd catch you out.
    I couldn't find any reference to what the other poster referenced but what I did find was odd.

She spends a lot of her time trying to identify people at protests that she doesn't like. Pics of people posted with comments asking if anybody knows who they are.
    co that isn't sinister at all. odd behaviour.

You're hilarious!

Not to worry about the tweets - Mr 88 seemed very sure of his facts so I'm sure he'll be along soon with details.

• Advertisement

Murdering doctors is a cornerstone of traditional conservativeism, didn't you know?

Anti Abortion rioter
    Neo Nazi Extreme Right guest of honour
    Wooden plank basher
    Death penalty advocate
    Racist
    Immigrant deportation advocate
    Advocate for murdering doctors

You name it. All traditional conservative :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Terry Pratchet

https://twitter.com/vmax_14/status/1305170471307161603

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Annasopra wrote: »
    I mean honestly trying to claim Justin Barrett isnt a fascist is hilarious

While there is, indeed, an element of hilarity involved, why someone would even want to try and frame him or the NP in such an "innocent" way remains the salient question.

And while I certainly don't think that there's any danger from them - not now or any time in the future - trying to put them in some sort of "traditional" light is, at best, a catastrophic failure of the most very basic political understanding.

Tony EH wrote: »
    While there is, indeed, an element of hilarity involved, why someone would even want to try and frame him or the NP in such an "innocent" way remains the salient question.

And while I certainly don't think that there's any danger from them - not now or any time in the future - trying to put them in some sort of "traditional" light is, at best, a catastrophic failure of the most very basic political understanding.

Yeah

Thats very true. Understanding why is actually a good point. I think broadly speaking there are 2 reasons for why people downplay the extremist nature of the NP. 1 They support the NP and are shills for them - a lot of these have been banned to be fair though theres a few more in the last few days and 2 being genuinely unaware of the true facts. This is also another point though in relation to this. Its understandable why people might be unaware of the extensive history of Justin Barretts extensive extremist links with Youth Defence and German and Italian extremist Neo Nazi parties but frankly when recent events of the Racism of Justin Barrett and his wife, the extremism of his viewpoints on executing Drs, the Violence of their members in the last year and a half its not understandable. In that case I agree with you that downplaying such extremism as merely traditional conservatism is indeed a catastrophic failure of the most very basic political understanding.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well it's just that anybody following these idiots have to be lacking intelligence.
    I'm not trying to insult there, it's just my view, I don't see how anybody with even an average level of intelligence would follow them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

While the NP may not be in a position to gain a seat anywhere, to claim that damage isn't being done is erroneous in my view.
    All you have to do is look to social media to see the rise of far right thinking.
    Little Justin Barret's are popping up in different parts of the country and gaining followings.
    All the need do is shout the magic words, "Agenda 21, NWO, depopulation, pride flag, prepare for war, doing god's work" and you'll see the people who believe this rubbish flocking to them.
    They look upon the government as George Soros' puppets and Sinn Féin as traitors....so they will be looking for people to vote for in upcoming elections

While the NP may not be in a position to gain a seat anywhere, to claim that damage isn't being done is erroneous in my view.
    All you have to do is look to social media to see the rise of far right thinking.
    Little Justin Barret's are popping up in different parts of the country and gaining followings.
    All the need do is shout the magic words, "Agenda 21, NWO, depopulation, pride flag, prepare for war, doing god's work" and you'll see the people who believe this rubbish flocking to them.
    They look upon the government as George Soros' puppets and Sinn Féin as traitors....so they will be looking for people to vote for on upcoming elections

My fear is that a slicker version of Barrett will pick up his talking points and generate enough support to get elected.

they/them/theirs

°°°°°

They look upon the government as George Soros' puppets and Sinn Féin as traitors....so they will be looking for people to vote for on upcoming elections

What's your solution to this? Banning certain ideas?

People have the freedom to believe whatever they like. The fact is that the National Party's views were so well received by the people of Ireland that they received a total of 4773 votes in the whole of Ireland in last year's General election, which equates to 0.2% of the total ballots cast.

The fact is that there are people who will believe things the majority do not agree with, some of those things are offensive or do not respect the rights of certain groups of people, this is a fact of life. Just because the National Party exists doesn't mean they are making any progress.

What you are suggesting above about little Justin Barrett's popping up around the country isn't borne out by fact, it's a doomsday fantasy, the sky is falling in, let's all start panicking.

The truth is that far left politics is much more developed in Ireland than far right politics and has been for decades. You will not see Justin Barrett in the Dail at any point, it just isn't going to happen, and while it's good to keep tabs on these people the notion that they pose some sort of existential threat to Ireland is as laughable as the National Party themselves.

°°°°°

Brian? wrote: »
    My fear is that a slicker version of Barrett will pick up his talking points and generate enough support to get elected.

Does Ireland really seem to you like the type of country where that could happen?

In the last decade the Irish electorate voted in referendums on same sex marriage and abortion. Both were landslide results in favor of both. It wasn't close and those who voted against in those referendums aren't voting for far right parties in elections. A country that is ripe for being exploited by a smooth talking far right candidate generally doesn't display those type of socially inclusive sympathies, not once but twice.

We all have fears, what you've outlined above is not a rational fear, just yet more alarmist fear mongering based in fantastical thinking.

• Advertisement

'Drowning in the mainstream' would be more accurate.

Advertisement