Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roof question

• 26-06-2020 7:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi all.
    I'm planning to build a workshop beside the house. The width will be 2.9m which is the way the roof rafters will run. The roof will be osb vapour and mineral felt.. (flat roof)

My question is. With such a light roof over the span of 2.9m would I need anything more than 4x2? My original plan was 6x2 but when I saw what is in the roof I thought 6x2 would be overkill

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,743 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi all.
    I'm planning to build a workshop beside the house. The width will be 2.9m which is the way the roof rafters will run. The roof will be osb vapour and mineral felt.. (flat roof)

My question is. With such a light roof over the span of 2.9m would I need anything more than 4x2? My original plan was 6x2 but when I saw what is in the roof I thought 6x2 would be overkill

I’m a huge fan of overkill. What’s the price difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

If you look at something like the homebond house building manual there are span tables in there that you can use to select a suitable joist size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

The old rule of thumb for floor joists was "half the span in feet plus 2 inches"- in your case (and a flat roof is different again) this would suggest something closer to 7" or 175mm deep. I had a look at the Homebond manual and a C16 44x 175mm (7x 2") at 400mm c/cs is what you'd need to consider, which takes account of snow load etc. I seen a few flat roofs that were built using undersized joists- they won't collapse or anything but the joists sag and unless you have significant falls built in this leads to water ponding and no way to get it off. A sure fire way to dramatically shorten the life of whatever membrane you put on it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

The old rule of thumb for floor joists was "half the span in feet plus 2 inches"- in your case (and a flat roof is different again) this would suggest something closer to 7" or 175mm deep. I had a look at the Homebond manual and a C16 44x 175mm (7x 2") at 400mm c/cs is what you'd need to consider, which takes account of snow load etc. I seen a few flat roofs that were built using undersized joists- they won't collapse or anything but the joists sag and unless you have significant falls built in this leads to water ponding and no way to get it off. A sure fire way to dramatically shorten the life of whatever membrane you put on it afterwards.

Wow 6x2 is what I would of thought as a max... the fall i was thinking could be as little as 1 inch. But now thinking about it if the structure moves. Maybe I need to consider more? Gutters will be in place also directed to the drain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Looking at the same table a C14 44x150 (6x 2") at 400mm c/cs will span up to 2.4m, a C16 up to 2.51m. Even tightening up the centres to 300mm wont work with a 6x 2".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Very appropriate user name :)

It's actually half the span plus 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭whizbang

How are you going to fit the roof ..
    Would you trust your life, plus the weight of a roll of felt etc, on an almost 3m length of 2 x 4 ??

I wouldn't let the dog up on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

whizbang wrote: »
    How are you going to fit the roof ..
    Would you trust your life, plus the weight of a roll of felt etc, on an almost 3m length of 2 x 4 ??

I wouldn't let the dog up on that.
    Its quite strong... I wouldnt be holding parties on it but still strong enough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Just been and double checked "one I made earlier" and for a 3.4m gap I used 2 x 5 at 16 inch spaces. Now I would have preferred to use 2 x 6 but with gutters head room and the fall I had to fit in what I could. Certainly no problem with two people on the roof with several rolls of felt.

So from actual experience with a very shallow pitch on a flat root I'd be happy enough with 2 x 5 for the OP's project

Advertisement