Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Funny women?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I specifically said I wasn't directing my comment at you. But 'women aren't funny' gets bandied around a lot. Did we even need another thread on this??

Here's a few threads that already exist:

'Worst Female Comedian'

'Is there such a thing as a funny female comedian'

'Are female comedians funny??'

'Why aren't many female comedians funny?'

'Have you ever known a female that was genuinely funny?'

'The 'Women aren't funny' myth'

'Comediennes....Just Not Funny'

There's always room for one more. For all the lads who just can't figure out why they've never (even once) laughed at a female comedian. And then they can come to the conclusion, yet again, that the wimim just aren't funny.

There's a bit in Yes Prime Minister where Sir Humphrey defends his misogyny by saying that he loved women "very fine people, women. Eh...my wife, in fact, is a woman".

I think most stand-ups are grand. Only OK. 10 mins would be enough of most of them. The notion of dividing them into men vs women for the sake of a gender wars thread is surprisingly popular, as the poster above showed with lots of threads for that exact purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Sarah Pascoe is actually funny when she keeps the judgy vegan & feminist stuff to a minimum...

Sarah Milligan is good, just simply working class observational humour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I could be given the best sushi in the world, prepared with the finest ingredients by a Michelin star chef, and I wouldn’t enjoy it because I don’t like sushi.

People need to learn the difference between not liking sushi and sushi being bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Sarah Pascoe is actually funny when she keeps the judgy vegan & feminist stuff to a minimum...

Sarah Milligan is good, just simply working class observational humour

does that stuff make her not funny, or does it just annoy you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

She's so funny in this interview - John Malkovich has to wipe his eyes at one point.

This video kept appearing in my YouTube recommendations recently till the point where I caved and watched (literally this week). She's definitely charming and quick (she puts Ross in his place quick enough when he asks is she single; for the record I quite like Ross but his constant flirtation with female guests is not one of his more charming traits).

But funny? She's mildly funny in this interview, IMO. But nothing more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

OP, what a fresh and original observation! :P :pac:

My thoughts - MOST comedians are average to bad. There are more male comedians by some way so you’ll see all the bad but some good. There are so much fewer female comedians that it’s going to take longer to find good ones. I reckon if you looked at the ratio of good to bad within the male grouping and the female grouping, the ratio would be similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Earthhorse wrote: »
    This video kept appearing in my YouTube recommendations recently till the point where I caved and watched (literally this week). She's definitely charming and quick (she puts Ross in his place quick enough when he asks is she single; for the record I quite like Ross but his constant flirtation with female guests is not one of his more charming traits).

But funny? She's mildly funny in this interview, IMO. But nothing more than that.

she isnt bad and has a certain charm about her but at the same time a bit forced. Kate Beckensale on Graham Nornton was funnier and she isnt a comedian

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

She’s hardly going to have a stand up bit prepared for an interview, is she? That seems like a standard interview. There’s nothing worse than comedians using bits from their sets in interviews rather than being genuine.

silverharp wrote: »
    she isnt bad and has a certain charm about her but at the same time a bit forced. Kate Beckensale on Graham Nornton was funnier and she isnt a comedian

Yeah but I'm working off the assumption that these talks shows are pretty scripted. In a sense, isn't it pretty likely that the best performers will be the acters along with the ones with a bit if personality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I saw someone called Roisin Conaty on Live at the Apollo last night and she was actually pretty good. But I think the whole standup thing is a big dick swinging contest for men, and women's humour doesn't fit into that kind of thing most of the time. I know some very funny women, but I don't think they could turn it into a stage act.
    She is great on panel shows etc.
    Also one of the highlights of afterlife I thought.
    I also really enjoyed her own show called gameface 2 seasons of that.

• Advertisement

She’s hardly going to have a stand up bit prepared for an interview, is she?

I don't know? Like you say a lot of comedians essentially do their stand up in lieu of an interview in these situations. But I'm talking about whether she's funny or not; not whether she has something prepared. She's not that naturally funny, IMO.
    Yeah but I'm working off the assumption that these talks shows are pretty scripted. In a sense, isn't it pretty likely that the best performers will be the acters along with the ones with a bit if personality?

Bea is an actress originally (and is now doing more of it too).

Bea is an actress originally (and is now doing more of it too).

So she said in that clip. She wrote and started in a show on C4 last year . This Way Up, it was called. I liked it.

I'm not sure what you meant by your original post so. By your logic shouldn't Bea be at least as funny as Beckinsale then or even funnier given that she's a comedian?

I'm not sure what you meant by your original post so. By your logic shouldn't Bea be at least as funny as Beckinsale then or even funnier given that she's a comedian?

I said pretty clearly that the ones who'd perform the best would be actors (because it's a scrpited show) and the ones with a bit of personality. It wasn't supposed to be an all encompassing rule which can be used to rank them prospecrively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I just think this is the stupidest, thread ever - dozens of comments asking are over 50% of the planet funny? Some men are funny, some women are funny! Like why are threads like this even allowed?

I said pretty clearly that the ones who'd perform the best would be actors (because it's a scrpites show) and thise with a bit of personality. It wasn't supposed to be an all encompassing rule which can be used to rank them prospecrively.

You were literally responding to a post where the two were being compared though. No one thought you'd come up with an all encompassing rule.

You were literally responding to a post where the two were being compared though. No one thought you'd come up with an all encompassing rule.

Yeah. So the idea that an actor would do well (Kate Beckensale was mentioned as having done well on one of those shows) is to be expected. It's a scripted acting gig masquerading as a spontaneous conversation. So the fact that an a tor would nail it, isn't surprising.

I'm not a big fan of hose shows at all. 10 mins of Graham Norton is funny but it's also plenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Has anyone mentioned Jo Brand yet?

Funniest post, after the OP, is the one calling Aisling Bea a 'plastic Paddy'.

Dude, come back and explain yourself...
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

OP, what a fresh and original observation! :P :pac:

My thoughts - MOST comedians are average to bad. There are more male comedians by some way so you’ll see all the bad but some good. There are so much fewer female comedians that it’s going to take longer to find good ones. I reckon if you looked at the ratio of good to bad within the male grouping and the female grouping, the ratio would be similar.

Finally, someone who speaks sense

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned Jo Brand yet?

Funniest post, after the OP, is the one calling Aisling Bea a 'plastic Paddy'.

Dude, come back and explain yourself...
    :pac:

I like Jo Brand!

I too was perplexed by the Plastic Paddy comment re: Bea. :pac: Unless the poster meant that she plays up her Irishness, which she does a bit. But that’s different from being a Plastic Paddy.

Rothko wrote: »
    Finally, someone who speaks sense

Well, I was due. :pac:

Yeah. So the idea that an actor would do well (Kate Beckensale was mentioned as having done well on one of those shows) is to be expected. It's a scripted acting gig masquerading as a spontaneous conversation. So the fact that an a tor would nail it, isn't surprising.

But the fact* that she would be funnier than a stand up comic is a reflection on the fact* that Bea isn't that funny.

*Opinion.

But the fact* that she would be funnier than a stand up comic is a reflection on the fact* that Bea isn't that funny.

*Opinion.

Ok. Whatever you like. Could also be that the other actor performed well* or better* that the other actor performed poorly*. Or one has more craic* or is a better actor* or is funnier*

*Opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

there's no correlation between women being funny or not and their being few stand up comedians of the female variety

Very few people dream of being one, and certainly very few women

its a **** enough gig

this threads full of bigots from both sides really

that men can't relate to a female comedian

the audience is 50/50 split with men and women at these shows so you need to be just funny, not relatable, oh that guys just like me cause hes a man

who cares if its a dick joke or a fanny one

i mean why are their so few female bin men :pac:? They don't want to pick up bins

who wants to have to stand up in front of a drunk crowd and be heckled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Phoebe waller-bridge
    Stefanie preissner
    Nicky glazer has her moments
    Tina fey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

KiKi III wrote: »
    Billy Connolly is a classic example of a stellar comedian who my dad loves... I can recognise that he’s talented and has a huge audience while also saying I would never voluntarily watch his stuff.

It's funny how comedy ages, I used to think this guy was utterly hilarious, but I saw some of his act a few years ago and it's just not in the least bit funny. Just an old man laughing at his own jokes and swearing. I suppose comedy moves with the times for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

The Aisling Bea episode of An Irishman Abroad podcast is unbelievably good I'm sure she works really hard at it but it feels like she's just naturally funny.

If anyone is a fan of hers I'd highly recommend it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Alison Spittle is doing great things at the moment. Up there with some of the great comedians of our time.

You are not being sarcastic at all aren't you?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

More importantly, does AH need Mr. F back to drum up some new topics because this has been done to death? I actually thought it was an old thread at first. I'm sure I've commented on one or two of the previous incarnations.

Have to say (probably, again) I think Alison Spittle is dreadful. She's about as funny as Brendan O'Carroll or Bernard Manning. Nothing to do with her looks at all, she's just sh*t IMO. There may be some truth to her looks mattering to a minority of people but I would be shocked if it was the main reason people dislike her comedy. She is a minority herself I suppose in that most women who make it on to TV are considered attractive but thats another topic altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

greenspurs wrote: »
    yep.
    It descended into the usual ….
    Slán ..

Wait for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

how_it_works.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

You are not being sarcastic at all aren't you?

Yeah not great. Some material was actually interesting but her delivery is poor. Also don't like when comedians continually laugh at their own jokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Ush1 wrote: »
    Yeah not great. Some material was actually interesting but her delivery is poor. Also don't like when comedians continually laugh at their own jokes.

half the issue was the poor microphone choice and only that being recorded from the desk. She should have been given an sm58 or something she's used to as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'm sure there are a number of funny women, but the only one I can think of that I'd pay to see is Sarah Millican. But a lot of what's funny about her is her delivery in that Newcastle accent.

I like looking at Katherine Ryan, but I don't think she's that funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

the funniest of the lot was Caroline Aherne

She was great.

I've only recently cottoned onto the brilliance that was Mrs. Merton. Sharp as a tack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

does that stuff make her not funny, or does it just annoy you?

Some of her stuff is nothing but extreme feminism or extreme veganism, not a fan of any comics set that focuses one topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

More importantly, does AH need Mr. F back to drum up some new topics because this has been done to death? I actually thought it was an old thread at first. I'm sure I've commented on one or two of the previous incarnations.

Have to say (probably, again) I think Alison Spittle is dreadful. She's about as funny as Brendan O'Carroll or Bernard Manning. Nothing to do with her looks at all, she's just sh*t IMO. There may be some truth to her looks mattering to a minority of people but I would be shocked if it was the main reason people dislike her comedy. She is a minority herself I suppose in that most women who make it on to TV are considered attractive but thats another topic altogether.

What the hell are you on about, Bernard Manning was a fantastic comedian, and a generous man who contributed a lot to his community, he was a blue comedian, but there were a lot more like him in them days, Alison spittle is a nobody, and Brendan O'Carroll had to dress up as a woman to get people to laugh at him. If you couldn't laugh at Bernard, then you have no sense of humour.

Goodshape wrote: »
    how_it_works.png

Absolutely.

I was listening to a podcast about Bernard Manning and they did an interesting experiment where the host is a comedian so he did a warmup act for the studio audience. He told them some racist jokes attributed to Bernard Manning and asked the audience of they were funny. Audience said no. Then told some racist jokes attributed to Jimmy Carr and asked if they were funny. Audience mostly agreed they were funny.

Then he told them the jokes were really the other way around and belonged to the other guy and the audience didn't know what to think. It shows that the jokes were funny or not depending on far more than the joke itself. It's about the audience perceptions of the joke teller too.

When someone says they've never laughed at a woman's joke, it's pretty clear what they mean.

Likewise when someone likes Frankie Boyle but finds women comedians "crass", it tells you a lot about the person, their views of women and their views of women's role in society: "women should laugh at my jokes, I don't laugh at women's jokes".

It's pretty transparent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Now there's an explanation I hadn't thought of yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Granny Smyth

Funny women = oxymoron.

• Advertisement

Ellen DeGeneres was a good comedian back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Has anyone mentioned Fascinating Aida yet?

It's a shame Caroline Aherne didn't do more stand-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Caroline Aherne was very talented.
    Mindy Kaling is talented.
    Phoebe Waller-Bridge is extremely talented.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Thing is , some men are just hardwired to think women can't be funny . Wether its some subconscious thing that they can't see women as equals , or that in stand-up the comedian is basically in charge of the room , and they can't equate that..or some sexual thing ..I don't know .
    And again I'm not saying its a deliberate thing , its just the way they"re wired.Like literally you could take their favourite male comedian , give him a sex change and have them perform the same material , and these people would hate them and say're they're not funny.
    It could work in reverse , with women that only find other women funny, but I've never heard of that.
    And its those guys loss as there are a lot of good women comics out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

As long as they are not talking about fake things like the wage gap, being oppression in society and how men are crap then they can be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

As long as they are not talking about fake things like the wage gap, being oppression in society and how men are crap then they can be funny.

I’ve definitely never seen a comedy set where a man complains about women...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

As long as they are not talking about fake things like the wage gap...

Eh, Ray Darcy, Joe Duffy? Talentless halfwits who are getting paid more than any woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Thing is , some men are just hardwired to think women can't be funny . Wether its some subconscious thing that they can't see women as equals , or that in stand-up the comedian is basically in charge of the room , and they can't equate that..or some sexual thing ..I don't know .
    And again I'm not saying its a deliberate thing , its just the way they"re wired.Like literally you could take their favourite male comedian , give him a sex change and have them perform the same material , and these people would hate them and say're they're not funny.
    It could work in reverse , with women that only find other women funny, but I've never heard of that.
    And its those guys loss as there are a lot of good women comics out there.

I think this is a lazy perception.

It's like saying that if you don't like Dutch comedians it's because you are racist as some level.

Often when it comes to humour, the reaction is completely involuntary ...you can't help who you find funny...you can't force yourself not to laugh...it is the one art form where you don't get to fake a reaction....the ultimate and brutal leveller.

It isn't a sexist thing at all...far from it, the more people than can make you laugh the better...

Caroline Ahern was mentioned a few times here, I think she is the best female comic I have ever seen and her work will last the test of time, I think Sharon Horgan wrote one of the most underrated tv series any Irish writer has ever produced in Pulling...

When it comes to creativity women do not have the same range it would seem, in physical comedy, in delivery, that is not to say women can't make a living from it, best of luck to anyone male or female who can, it's the free market that gets to decide whether you are good or not, and if you took 1,000 men and women who spent money on going to a comedy gig in the last year, 90% of them will have been male comedians.

It is so hard to create humour that crosses gender, crosses regions or nationalities, or age groups only the truly gifted can achieve those kinds of heights...it serves no purpose to shame the people who don't find you funny.

Women are far better served getting criticized than mollycoddled then possibly their challenge is not to wait for men to find them funny but to create content that draws men in....because this current wave of feminist comedians is just completely one dimensional ...we get it...feminists hate men and love talking about their vaginas...come on give us something a little better than that, it's already boring.

I think this is a lazy perception.

It's like saying that if you don't like Dutch comedians it's because you are racist as some level.

Often when it comes to humour, the reaction is completely involuntary ...you can't help who you find funny...you can't force yourself not to laugh...it is the one art form where you don't get to fake a reaction....the ultimate and brutal leveller.

The Dutch analogy is flawed because they have a different culture. Comedy is often culture bound.

Humour is often involuntary, as you said. So if you can't find women funny, it's almost certainly a blatant example of bias. The chances that they're all not funny apart from one token women, is really unlikely.

Given that you know humour is largely unconscious, I think you already have your answer. Bias, whether conscious or unconscious, is almost certainly your answer.

• Advertisement

The Dutch analogy is flawed because they have a different culture. Comedy is often culture bound.

Humour is often involuntary, as you said. So if you can't find women funny, it's almost certainly a blatant example of bias. The chances that they're all not funny apart from one token women, is really unlikely.

Given that you know humour is largely unconscious, I think you already have your answer. Bias, whether conscious or unconscious, is almost certainly your answer.

We'll have to start retraining them El dude..

Advertisement