Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaft flex

Options
  • 26-06-2020 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I would say I have a slow swing speed. I'm buying a driver and the very one I'm looking for is available used for a great price. However, it is a stiff flex. Considering I would have a slower swing speed, do you think I should avoid buying the club? Would it make much of a diff if I should prob be using a regular flex with my swing speed?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

ClutchIt wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I would say I have a slow swing speed. I'm buying a driver and the very one I'm looking for is available used for a great price. However, it is a stiff flex. Considering I would have a slower swing speed, do you think I should avoid buying the club? Would it make much of a diff if I should prob be using a regular flex with my swing speed?
    Thanks.

I think a stiff shaft is for a swing speed of 90-105mph. That's not that fast. I'd say if you're relatively young, there's a strong chance you're in that bracket anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Hi guys,

Thanks.

How for are you hitting or carrying your driver??

No information other than you saying you are slow. My swing speed is 85 mph and carry driver about 180-190 rolling to 190-230

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm 35. I carry it about 200 yrds.
    That's with a stiff shaft also tho! My current driver is stiff as well, it was my first club so just bought whatever off donedeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm 35. I carry it about 200 yrds.
    That's with a stiff shaft also tho! My current driver is stiff as well, it was my first club so just bought whatever off donedeal.

My guess you are right on the borderline. So it probably isnt doing you any damage and probably not worth changing if looking to get faster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

After a Google if you're carrying that distance with the driver maybe you are in the regular shaft bracket. The shaft does make a difference, so perhaps keeping an eye out for a regular shaft would be a better option.

On a side note, if you're 35 and don't have any back issues or the like, if you have the time I'd try to get that swing speed up a bit. If you can control a faster swing you'd benefit greatly from it. Pretty sure there are exercises and exercise tools available to help you swing faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

ok cheers guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

I'd say buy it anyway if you like the look of her. Shaft flex has no real relevance to the likes of us average golfers (but if that's you Rory, stop worrying about that and looking for boards advice, and focus on yer game).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

In my opinion the more important factor is consistency between club groups. For example using an x-stiff driver and a 3-wood regular is messy and you can hit one or the other well but never both on the same day.

If you hit 50 balls with any flex driver you can get into a rhythm and get it working for you. But in real world golf you need to be able to hit the first ball correct.

The above is the most important point and should override what I'm about to say next... my next suggestion would be to err on the stiffer side if uncertain. If shafts are too stiff you will loose height maybe a bit of distance and maybe fade it a little more. If you get the stiffness wrong the other way (too soft) I find I notice the variability becomes the direction which is more dangerous and brings in big left AND right misses.

(*Opinions are like ar5eholes & take all above with a pinch of salt* :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

My last few sets of clubs have been regular, stiff, regular and now stiff and ranging from 17 to 5 handicap, I couldnt blame or praise the shaft flex in any of the sets.

If you are going second hand I'd just buy it and if you dont like it you can flog it on adverts or donedeal and probably still break even.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Go in to a golf shop and try out a few clubs with the different shaft options and see what suits you best maybe?

Then do your buying second hand if that's your plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sipper

Go in to a golf shop and try out a few clubs with the different shaft options and see what suits you best maybe?

Then do your buying second hand if that's your plan

Every club pro's dream, someone who has no intention of buying anything yet wants something for nothing ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Sipper wrote: »
    Every club pro's dream, someone who has no intention of buying anything yet wants something for nothing ffs.

Talking about an American Golf, McGuirks, etc... they'll be happy to have someone in there with a chance for an up sell. Most people who go in to their shops don't buy.

Have never done it myself, but don't see major issue with someone who is looking for ideas going in to somewhere like that

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

Anyone know what strength OptiFlex would be?

Not one of the regular categories that I’m familiar with, and can’t seem to find an answer on the internet.

Thanks

Advertisement