Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving - selling to buy - stamp duty

Options
  • 26-06-2020 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Selling our house to buy another, I.e in a chain.
    does anyone know if stamp duty on the house we are buying needs to be paid upfront or can it be paid from the proceeds of the sale of our house.
    The deposit for the house we are buying comes from the sale obviously but can the same approach be applied for stamp duty?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

does anyone know if stamp duty on the house we are buying needs to be paid upfront or can it be paid from the proceeds of the sale of our house.
    The deposit for the house we are buying comes from the sale obviously but can the same approach be applied for stamp duty?
    Thanks

You have 28 days after closing the purchase to pay the Stamp Duty. By then, you should have the net proceeds of the sale of the first house to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Thanks

Although stamp duty needs to be paid within 28 days of buying the house, your solicitor will require the stamp duty amount in their account prior to requesting funds if you are getting a mortgage to buy a house - it’s part of their is undertaking to bank to have balance of purchase funds, outlay to register the house and mortgage and stamp duty before requesting funds.

Your solicitor will let you know what money they need and when they need so you should ask them how the chain will work.

Advertisement