Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Green line, future capacity issues?

Options
  • 26-06-2020 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

One area I am looking to buy in, is along the Luas Green Line, around the Gallops area.
    However one note of concern is that the Luas has been full at commuting times, and with new developments, especially Cherrywood coming online soon, I can see real problems with capacity in near future.

Would others share my concerns?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,800 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yes, the Green Luas is going to have severe capacity problems, and if residents along the line succeed in permanently blocking the upgrade to a metro it's not going to get any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Yes absolutely. It's still in my opinion far and away the best commuting option in Dublin, but capacity has become an issue at peak times.

However, this was all before home working started because of Covid. I suspect a lot of those commuters will not be getting back on the LUAS as often, so may have bought us several years of capacity. Just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It was already at capacity before COVID. Cherrywood will just mean it'll be full sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It would be wise to buy a bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

It would be wise to buy a bicycle.

https://www.biketowork.ie/employees-information

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Mr.S wrote: »
    There’s always been capacity issues at rush hour, and it’s just getting worse.

Although with the rise of working from home that might change.

Unless you can start work before / after peak times, I wouldn’t count on the Luas as a reliable way to commute.

For about 30 -40 minutes 4 mornings a week , the luas is too packed for people to get on from ballaly. Fridays are quieter and the evening commute time is longer so there is less of a problem .

I know this is still a problem for anyone who can’t be flexible in their work hours but it’s the best public transport system in the country the rest of the time .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

huskerdu wrote: »
    For about 30 -40 minutes 4 mornings a week , the luas is too packed for people to get on from ballaly. Fridays are quieter and the evening commute time is longer so there is less of a problem .

I know this is still a problem for anyone who can’t be flexible in their work hours but it’s the best public transport system in the country the rest of the time .

Its the best transport system the rest of the time is not much use to the people who want to use it at peak times ,which by definition is most people

Its jam packed at times but I've never not been able to get on. That happens further down the line at balally and on the way back from town at Charlemont.

• Administrators Posts: 53,800 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

hmmm wrote: »
    Yes absolutely. It's still in my opinion far and away the best commuting option in Dublin, but capacity has become an issue at peak times.

However, this was all before home working started because of Covid. I suspect a lot of those commuters will not be getting back on the LUAS as often, so may have bought us several years of capacity. Just a guess.
    Mr.S wrote: »
    There’s always been capacity issues at rush hour, and it’s just getting worse.

Although with the rise of working from home that might change.

Unless you can start work before / after peak times, I wouldn’t count on the Luas as a reliable way to commute.

Probably also have to factor in that the Luas won't be allowed to be packed as full as it traditionally is during rush hour, when people were literally wedged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

brisan wrote: »
    Its the best transport system the rest of the time is not much use to the people who want to use it at peak times ,which by definition is most people

But it’s not most people . The green luas line carries 12,000 an hour at peak times . The number of people who have to wait 10/20 minutes to get on a tram is a tiny percentage of that .

I am one of those people , by the way . Despite how busy it is at rush hour , it’s a fantastic public transport system to have on my doorstep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are still some trams to be extended and more on order; so there will be further capacity - however I expect it all that capacity to be eaten up quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

awec wrote: »
    Yes, the Green Luas is going to have severe capacity problems, and if residents along the line succeed in permanently blocking the upgrade to a metro it's not going to get any better.

It's a shame those residents won out. Now is the perfect time for a serious upgrade of the line. It's such a wasted opportunity.

Advertisement