Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glasgow incident - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Glasgow like any city has its rough areas but you would have no reason to visit them The city centre is fine and there is always a visible police presence. I always feel much safer there than in Dublin

Well its really not like any other city is it. Except Belfast? Where half the city hates the other half. Not everyone obviously but lets be real there is massive hatred there. Thats the part of it i don't like. Where on Old Firm day nobody can wear colours around the city centre. No pubs will let you in. You could easily get a hiding or worse if your allegiance is revealed. And your accent could be a giveaway even without your colours on.

So on top of having tough areas like Dublin you have all the football/religious toxic bigotry in the city. A perfect recipe for a dangerous city.

When i visit i'll catch a Celtic game v any team bar Rangers. Too much hatred there for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Birneybau wrote: »
    Until you walk into Leith as myself and pals did once.

I've been in both numerous times and generally lovely places, Glasgow a bit more of an edge. Bit as I said, Leith in Edinburgh ain't somewhere to go for a stroll.

This must have been a while ago - it is now a trendy part of Edinburgh with 2 Michelin start restaurants and lots of good pubs / restaurants.

I was down there a few times during Trainspotting (80's) days and yes it was scary. There are a few of those characters still around but not too many.

Going back even further (70's) and it was a busy port so you can imagine what it was like. There is even a famous story about a pub that had a puma in a cage. It escaped one night and attacked some of the customers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭Macytoby

Used to stay in CitizenM in Hope St, 5 minutes from where the stabbing happened. Shocking stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Nermal

Can you blame them for saying that?

Yes. I think people who chant that are sick, to be honest. Pathetic whinging about being 'kettled' doesn't change that.

If you don't feel the slightest embarrassment at defending that chant when it's juxtaposed with a story of police heroism in the face of a knife-wielding maniac... we don't really have anything to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Sorry to disappoint you all but it has been confirmed it was not a terrorist incident.
    Back in your boxes.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Slowyourrole

Is this the right thread for the Glasgow incident?

Being reported on LBC the premises was being used to house homeless and asylum seekers through Covid. There has been previous reporting that the conditions for residents were poor. Although they don't seem clear if it was the same premises. Be surprised if this was terrorism or mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Seeing the police officer is critical but stable now and still only death is the attacker.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beasty wrote: »
    20 posts deleted already. If you want to contribute to this thread do so in a civil manner and await official reports rather than speculating over perpetrator and/or victims

No more warnings - cards and bans for ignoring this one
    About as many again deleted, and the following are now threadbanned:

Working Class Heroes
    StackSteevens
    stinkypinky
    BarnardsLoop
    Danzy

More will follow if you keep this sort of stuff up

Now back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

Sorry to disappoint you all but it has been confirmed it was not a terrorist incident.
    Back in your boxes.

How can it be 'confirmed' so fast?

With the Reading attack last week it was initially labeled as not a terrorist attack only for it to be changed to a terrorist attack the following day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I think can you can read between the lines regarding the background of the person responsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Maybe not a 'T' incident (so far), but given it's location and building's usage:

"The incident happened in the stairwell of the Park Inn Hotel on West George Street in the centre of Glasgow at about 13:00
    The hotel has been housing asylum seekers during the coronavirus pandemic"

A cultural (i.e. conflict of cultures) factor could certainly be at play here, time well tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

biko wrote: »

Very sad. Maintenance guy and receptionist it sounds like. And some others out on the street? The guy speaking must be traumatised. Absolutely horrible thing to happen to those poor people.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I think can you can read between the lines regarding the background of the person responsible.
    Maybe not a 'T' incident (so far), but given it's location and building's usage:

"The incident happened in the stairwell of the Park Inn Hotel on West George Street in the centre of Glasgow at about 13:00
    The hotel has been housing asylum seekers during the coronavirus pandemic"

A cultural (i.e. conflict of cultures) factor could certainly be at play here, time well tell.

Threadbanned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So no one dead bar the assailant and one cop plus 5 others injured, not at all like the headline then.

Quell surprise. Be great if people were forced to submit "breaking news" to inspection allowing a few facts to become known before it's opened to comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

One of the most dangerous cities in western Europe not too long ago. Where matches between Celtic and Rangers would always see numerous badly injured men end up in hospital. That was a given for the police and paramedics. And many fatalities. Glasgow might be some things but i wouldn't class it a lovely city.

I thought you'd never been? Sorry but you are taking nonsense, many fatalities on the day of derby games? Come on then link us up. Im not denying there can be issues on these days but you are juts completely blown it out of all proportion

I thought you'd never been? Sorry but you are taking nonsense, many fatalities on the day of derby games? Come on then link us up. Im not denying there can be issues on these days but you are juts completely blown it out of all proportion

Do i have to have been there to know about the place? I haven't been to Ciudad Juarez either but i know its a bit ropey to say the least. Thats nonsense. And i know for a fact that quite a few how died on the day of Old Firm matches as i read about it years ago. I'm not going looking for it you can look yourself.

Well its really not like any other city is it. Except Belfast? Where half the city hates the other half. Not everyone obviously but lets be real there is massive hatred there. Thats the part of it i don't like. Where on Old Firm day nobody can wear colours around the city centre. No pubs will let you in. You could easily get a hiding or worse if your allegiance is revealed. And your accent could be a giveaway even without your colours on.

So on top of having tough areas like Dublin you have all the football/religious toxic bigotry in the city. A perfect recipe for a dangerous city.

When i visit i'll catch a Celtic game v any team bar Rangers. Too much hatred there for me.

Utter and total rubbish. Serioulsy where are you getting your inf from? And as for not being allowed into city centre pubs wearing colours, that is the case in many UK city centers and not just on days of high profile matches either, and indeed in Dublin as well.

Utter and total rubbish. Serioulsy where are you getting your inf from? And as for not being allowed into city centre pubs wearing colours, that is the case in many UK city centers and not just on days of high profile matches either, and indeed in Dublin as well.

Ok man whatever you say. I dont agree. No bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Sky News reporter in Glasgow right now speculating on the poor living conditions asylum seekers have in the hotel they are staying in. And I quote; "they have limited wi fi."

The excuses are getting earlier and earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

So no one dead bar the assailant and one cop plus 5 others injured, not at all like the headline then.

Quell surprise. Be great if people were forced to submit "breaking news" to inspection allowing a few facts to become known before it's opened to comments.

Whew. Just ordinary unavoidable everyday mass murderous stabbing rampages by some asylum seeker with poor WiFi. We can all get back to what we were doing now.

This is not normal and it should not be happening. It can only be swept under the carpet for so long.

Do i have to have been there to know about the place? Thats nonsense. And i know for a fact that quite a few how died on the day of Old Firm matches as i read about it years ago. I'm not going looking for it you can look yourself.

Well yes, it would help if you had actually visited once or twice. Ah that old chestnut, look it up yourself, why would i? it wasnt me making the ludicrous claims. Look, of course there is tension around the derby game, sure but it certainly isnt as bad as it was years ago and there really isnt the large scale violence around it that you seem so eager to think there is. Anyway we're going off topic so ill leave it. I hope you do visit and take in a game at Celtic Park, im sure you will enjoy it. Like any city keep your wits about you, and you'll be fine.

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    Whew. Just ordinary unavoidable everyday mass murderous stabbing rampages by some asylum seeker with poor WiFi. We can all get back to what we were doing now.

This is not normal and it should not be happening. It can only be swept under the carpet for so long.

Threadbanned

Everyone else - this is not a thread about Glasgow, it's a thread about today's incident in Glasgow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As I say just the facts first, not ignoring something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Sky News reporter in Glasgow right now speculating on the poor living conditions asylum seekers have in the hotel they are staying in. And I quote; "they have limited wi fi."

This looks like a troll post but Sky News have indeed speculated that poor WIFI is one of the main issues with the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Slowyourrole

This looks like a troll post but Sky News have indeed speculated that poor WIFI is one of the main issues with the hotel.

That's so disingenuous. He specifically mentioned wifi in relation to being able to contact family. Also mentioned low quality of food and absence of any allowance. He said the critical issue was the lack of social distancing procedures. Yet you condensed all that down to "no wifi", as if he was upset he couldn't watch Netflix. Could you even make an honest point if you tried?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Sky News wouldn't be my favourite source for impartial reporting, but just saw that report a few minutes ago. The reporter explained that asylum campaigners were claiming that the poor WiFi at the hotel was one of the reasons why asylum seekers were having deteriorating mental health at that location.
    This excuse is a bit bewildering if the asylum seekers were in Britain escaping from war and persecution.
    Jeez you lot argue just for the sake of arguing.

RIP to those who died.

Here’s hoping that the police officer makes a full recovery. With all the rhetoric lately, this officer (and many others like them), went towards danger so that danger didn’t come to us.
    This is probably the post of the thread.
    Even though it appears that nobody died (as earlier reported by both the BBC and Sky News), the fact is that the police officer did rush towards a possibly deadly situation un-armed while others were fleeing the hotel.
    Certainly hope he recovers and gets all the support that he needs after this incident. A very brave man indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Quite disgusting they give poor WiFi as mitigation for fatal stabbings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Quite disgusting they give poor WiFi as mitigation for fatal stabbings

Nobody mitigates the stabbing because of wifi. Did you even watch it or are you just repeating what has been said. The journalist didn't excuse anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

Man from Sudan stabbed people in Glasgow because he was unhappy with the meals given from asylum center/hotel.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/06/26/glasgow-stabbing-armed-police-reportedly-seen-storming-hotel/

Advertisement