Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre built custom PC

Options
  • 26-06-2020 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a custom PC that will come pre built for around the 700 euro mark? It would be used an a general PC with some light/causal gaming for now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

CCL seem to be the one many reccomend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Brian017

CCL seem to be the one many reccomend.

Processor (CPU)AMD Athlon 3000G Dual Core CPU (3.5GHz) & Radeon™ VEGA 3 Graphics
    MotherboardASUS® PRIME A320M-K: Micro-ATX, AM4, USB 3.0, 6GB/s
    Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (1 x 16GB)
    Graphics Card4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1650 - HDMI
    1st Storage Drive256GB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (500MB/R, 400MB/W)
    2nd Storage Drive1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHEPower SupplyCORSAIR 350W VS SERIES™ VS-350 POWER SUPPLY
    Win 10 installed
    €691

Or

AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6GHz CPU
    16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
    8GB Radeon RX 570 Graphics
    240GB Solid State Drive
    1TB Hard Drive
    1,200Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home

£666 gbp

Which would be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

The second build would probably be slightly better but I would highly recommend building yourself as you'll get much more for your money. The build below will give you some idea of what you could get:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mB2ngJ

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF (12nm) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor (£112.40 @ Alza)
    Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£67.58 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL17 Memory (£73.56 @ CCL Computers)
    Storage: TCSunBow X3 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£28.59 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£34.77 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB PULSE Video Card (£269.99 @ Ebuyer)
    Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case (£46.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (£49.99 @ AWD-IT)
    Total: £683.87
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-26 18:53 BST+0100

The CPU has 6 cores so should future proof it a bit and the GPU will offer buckets more performance. Pick up windows 10 key from ebay or adverts then for 10/20 quid and you're set. Comes out a bit more expensive but it's much better performance. If you do decide to go with that processor though make sure you go for the 12nm version, not the 14nm.

Would highly recommend trying to build yourself as it's a great learning experience and it's just like expensive LEGO. You'll be grand as long as you watch a good video on Youtube and consult your manuals a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Neither of those are good. The 3000G is a terrible processor and the 3200G is really out-dated/underpowered.

Look at ones with a minimum of Ryzen 3100 or 3300X.

EG this one with configured with a 1TB SSD and 16GB ram comes to £570. Ryzen 3100, 16GB 3200mhz, 960GB SSD, RX570 4GB.

https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/delta-x/ccl-delta-x1-gaming-pc/000204010001/

Probably worth going a few quid extra and getting this one configured with 16GB ram - Ryzen 2600, 16GB, 5500XT 8GB, 500GB SSD.

https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/delta-pro/ccl-delta-pro-gaming-pc/040401011301/

Something like this (if the link works):

https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/delta-x/ccl-delta-x1-gaming-pc/020304010801/

Edit: Actually I think Homelander's second build there would be better - there's a better motherboard for future upgrades, although there is something to be said for the cheaper option of the A320 and then just upgrading the motherboard, processor and RAM. It's annoying they don't offer the 3300X over the 2600 in that build.

• Advertisement

Aodhann I would love to build it myself as it sounds like a fun experience but unfortunately, I’m disabled and my hands wouldn’t be up to the task I’m afraid. That’s why I’m looking at ones that come already assembled and ready to go, less hassle that way!

Homeland and Samuel, thank you both for your help. Sounds like I should go for Homelands 2nd option

There's a few of us who are happy to build machines. I'm in North Dublin if that helps. That said that build from Homelander is pretty decent. You will need to install an OS on it though - you'll need another computer and a 8GB USB stick for that.

I'm sure plenty of people on the forum would be willing to help but if you're going prebuilt homelanders point about needing a 3300x is very valid. It's an amazing CPU for its msrp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Just for clarity - the 3300X or 3100 is a major pick over a Ryzen 3200G (won't even mention the 3000G), but not to be confused with thinking it is superior to Ryzen 2600 and should be a priority.

3300X is faster per-core but the Ryzen 2600 has more cores and more threads. With the new consoles being 8 core, 16 thread machines based on Ryzen, the 2600 will age far better.

The 3300X will be faster in some games now, the 2600 in others, but in a few years the 3300X will fall behind. In the same way that an i7-4770 was slower than an overclocked 4670K in 2014, but the last few years is a better processor due to the extra threads.

The 3300X is a grand processor but given it's selling price is identical to the 2600, it doesn't make much sense in most general builds unless you have some specific per-core demand like a particular game or application.

For a general gaming build you want to last a good few years, 2600 is by far the better choice at same price point. Two extra cores, four more threads. It makes a different already in some games, over the next few years it'll start to make a major one.

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    I'm sure plenty of people on the forum would be willing to help but if you're going prebuilt homelanders point about needing a 3300x is very valid. It's an amazing CPU for its msrp

I’m in Kilkenny so I’m not sure how viable that option would be
    Homelander wrote: »
    Just for clarity - the 3300X or 3100 is a major pick over a Ryzen 3200G (won't even mention the 3000G), but not to be confused with thinking it is superior to Ryzen 2600 and should be a priority.

3300X is faster per-core but the Ryzen 2600 has more cores and more threads. With the new consoles being 8 core, 16 thread machines based on Ryzen, the 2600 will age far better.

The 3300X will be faster in some games now, the 2600 in others, but in a few years the 3300X will fall behind. In the same way that an i7-4770 was slower than an overclocked 4670K in 2014, but the last few years is a better processor due to the extra threads.

The 3300X is a grand processor but given it's selling price is identical to the 2600, it doesn't make much sense in most general builds unless you have some specific per-core demand like a particular game or application.

For a general gaming build you want to last a good few years, 2600 is by far the better choice at same price point. Two extra cores, four more threads. It makes a different already in some games, over the next few years it'll start to make a major one.

So should I go ahead and pull the trigger on the 2nd option? It seems to tick a lot of boxes for the price

• Advertisement

This build also from CCL would be much better if you can just install windows on it yourself (you just need a USB stick and an activation key from ebay/adverts).

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz Hexa Core
    Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard
    RAM: CCL Choice 8GB DDR4 2400MHz
    GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX 5500 XT 8GB Graphics Card
    SSD: Adata SU630 480GB 2.5" SATA SSD
    HDD: 1TB Seagate Hard Drive (7200rpm / 64MB Cache)
    Wireless: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 300Mbps WiFi Card

https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/delta-pro/ccl-delta-pro-gaming-pc/040201001301/

Works out at £660.99. If you don't need that much storage space you could drop the HDD and add 3200mhz Ram for about the same price which would probably give a nice performance boost with that Ryzen processor. Like I said, no Windows 10 installed but it's a very simple process. You just need an 8gb Usb Stick and the activation key.

If your absolutely dead set on a PC with windows already installed I'd go for this build instead which has the 3300X

https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/delta-x/ccl-delta-x2-gaming-pc/020000000401/

This build also from CCL would be much better if you can just install windows on it yourself (you just need a USB stick and an activation key from ebay/adverts).

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz Hexa Core
    Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard
    RAM: CCL Choice 8GB DDR4 2400MHz
    GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX 5500 XT 8GB Graphics Card
    SSD: Adata SU630 480GB 2.5" SATA SSD
    HDD: 1TB Seagate Hard Drive (7200rpm / 64MB Cache)
    Wireless: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 300Mbps WiFi Card

https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/delta-pro/ccl-delta-pro-gaming-pc/040201001301/

Works out at £660.99. If you don't need that much storage space you could drop the HDD and add 3200mhz Ram for about the same price which would probably give a nice performance boost with that Ryzen processor. Like I said, no Windows 10 installed but it's a very simple process. You just need an 8gb Usb Stick and the activation key.

If your absolutely dead set on a PC with windows already installed I'd go for this build instead which has the 3300X

https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/delta-x/ccl-delta-x2-gaming-pc/020000000401/
    I’m not dead set on Windows being pre installed. I just presumed discussion of cheap licences would be frowned upon here given their questionable source.

Sorry for all the noob questions but what advantages would your build have over the one Homeland suggested? And would updating to a 867mbps WiFi adapter in either build be worth it? A wired connection wouldn’t be an option so I’ll be relying on the wireless connection. I have a gigabit Siro broadband connection if that matters

Sh**e sorry didn't see his lists. Bed early for me tonight. Ya I'd pull the trigger and go for his second one without Windows 10. Install the windows 10 yourself and your be saving a fair chunk.

Do you have to use wi-fi or would homeplugs be an option you could go for? They'd provide a much stronger and more stable connection than WiFi. I don't think an 867mbps WiFi adapter would make much of a difference unless you've very speedy WiFi but homelander might know more on that department

Sh**e sorry didn't see his lists. Bed early for me tonight. Ya I'd pull the trigger and go for his second one without Windows 10. Install the windows 10 yourself and your be saving a fair chunk.

Do you have to use wi-fi or would homeplugs be an option you could go for? They'd provide a much stronger and more stable connection than WiFi. I don't think an 867mbps WiFi adapter would make much of a difference unless you've very speedy WiFi but homelander might know more on that department
    Are they the plugs with the Ethernet port at the bottom. They’re an option alright.

Yeah, I think I’ll pull the trigger on Homeland’s built

They are ya. Don't know what they cost now but bought a set a few years ago for about 40 quid. Well worth it in my case. You can get ones that not only provide ethernet but a wireless signal too so if you WiFi black spots they can fill in the gaps.

It's a good looking build, enjoy it when it arrives!

Ordered now. I’ve added an 1tb HDD to the build for an extra £40 as I didn’t want to have buyers remorse down the road with only a 480gb SSD. It worked out at £705 which PayPal converted to €821. It’s a bit more than I had planned but screw it; it has been a tough 3 months in lockdown! haha

I also picked up a set of 2 tp-link pass through Powerline plugs for €40

Looking forward to receiving it now! :D

Probably not a bad idea to throw in that hard drive to be fair if you'll have a fair few games or movies. Credit to homelander it's a very good pre built spec and I'd say it's well worth the additional few Bob.

Advertisement