Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reverse Osmosis System & potential water softener advice

• 26-06-2020 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi All, I am looking to get a reverse osmosis system put in for our drinking water. We live in Meath so the water is terrible. I'm looking for some advice on systems to install and the like. We have a granite countertop so would prefer not to cut a whole in this also. I need to replace my current tap as it's corroded and has holes in it (only 10 years old, really hard water!). I know there are taps with an extra RO tap built in so if necessary I will get one of these in order to not cut a hole in the counter.

What I'm wondering is what are peoples experience with these systems and recommendations: RO, yes or no; one with a tank or without a tank; can you get ones to hook directly to your existing tap or do they not have enough flow/pressure for that type of application?

Also, again as we live in Meath, with water that is semi-solid, I'm thinking of getting a water softener put on the mains. Is it possible to soften all of the water coming into the house and will a RO system then make it drinkable? or does anyone have any suggestions?
    I know a potential solution would be to put a softener on everything thats not drinkable but I would also like to soften this as the hard water will corrode the taps, RO system filtration and appliances.

I would really appreciate anyones own experience or recommendations for systems!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shane b

I looked into an RO unit a few years ago. We have a softener already installed on all water coming into the house.
    An RO unit is required to reduce the increased sodium content left by the softening process. The taps installed would generally only be for drinking. It wouldn't have the capacity for washing or other kitchen sink activities.
    We also have a granite counter. The installer would fit the tap but was taking no responsibility if the worktop cracked or was damaged.
    In the end we didnt bother getting it installed. Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

shane b wrote: »
    I looked into an RO unit a few years ago. We have a softener already installed on all water coming into the house.
    An RO unit is required to reduce the increased sodium content left by the softening process. The taps installed would generally only be for drinking. It wouldn't have the capacity for washing or other kitchen sink activities.
    We also have a granite counter. The installer would fit the tap but was taking no responsibility if the worktop cracked or was damaged.
    In the end we didnt bother getting it installed. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Hi Shane b,

I was thinking the same, but I came across these type of taps on another forum "WANFAN modern kitchen faucet pull out dual handle 3 in 1". They seem alright, look a bit weird with the extra little tap but could be an alternate to cutting the granite.

Advertisement