Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think its safe to say; Leo will go down as one of this countries greatest ever...

Options
  • 26-06-2020 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Thank you for everything Leo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

theballz wrote: »
    Thank you for everything Leo.

He’ll be back.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I was curious to see the word following the ellipses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

He’ll be back.

I do hope so. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he took a big job in Brussels either. He made a big impression during the Brexit talks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

You are the best Leo. Best of luck in all of your endeavors. Thank you for making Ireland great again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Non events?
    At least Kenny was comedy gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

In fairness, he’s been brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ok guys. Please explain why Leo has been so great/brilliant etc

- What has he achieved as Taoiseach?
    - What did he achieve as a minister under Enda?

Is it just that he's down with social media, can quote movies in speeches and is good at being on the right side of trendy issues? Because those do not a good Taoiseach make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

It's a bit like an air traffic controller who doesn't pay attention and nearly causes an accident, but then manages to avoid disaster in the nick of time. But with speeches.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Well when you analyse the competition Haughey, Ahern et al he may well be remembered fondly. Brought Ireland from bust back to solvent and presided over the biggest health crisis in 60 years while being part of a govt that introduced same sex marriage and legalised abortion.

Glaring failure is the absolute state of the HSE but we can all share that failure by being so accepting of it for a generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Well when you analyse the competition Haughey, Ahern et al he may well be remembered fondly. Brought Ireland from bust back to solvent and presided over the biggest health crisis in 60 years while being part of a govt that introduced same sex marriage and legalised abortion.

Glaring failure is the absolute state of the HSE but we can all share that failure by being so accepting of it for a generation.

He opposed it quite publicly until he knew what way the wind was blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I don't think he will be remembered as the greatest ever anything but I do think history will be kind to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

He hasn't done anything of note.
    I don't think he is a great taoiseach but he hasn't done anything terrible either. Apart from , he shat the working folk who he promised to help - his "people who get up early" quote. he rewarded the welfare class over the middle class.

But there was nothing great about his reign either almost Paschal Donohoe like in his steady but boring capacity

He leaves us now in the hole for his covid largesse , while you may cheer him now , the working people will be paying that bill for years at the expense of our school, hospitals etc... or higher tax on....the working person AGAIN

McMurphy wrote: »
    He opposed it quite publicly until he knew what way the wind was blowing.

.. and then decided to "come out" on national radio during the campaign to maximise his personal popularity. :rolleyes:

It's amazing how many fell for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

He moved the country forward overseeing a wave of positive social changes while many of our peers moved backwards.

He oversaw a strong recovery in the economy, improvements in public services and an increase in house building.

His government has weathered the Covid storm admirably, so far seeming to get the balance right on when to lock down and when to open up, in addition to doing very well on things like testing and PPE compared to most countries.

People expect politicians to be magicians who can click their fingers and solve everything overnight, not helped by those who like to stand on the sidelines throwing insults and pretending there are easy answers to complex problems, but in an imperfect world with limited resources our government has performed admirably this past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

As far as I recall Leo is not a member of NPHET and didn't make any COVID decisions on his own....

quokula wrote: »
    He moved the country forward overseeing a wave of positive social changes while many of our peers moved backwards.

He oversaw a strong recovery in the economy, improvements in public services and an increase in house building.

His government has weathered the Covid storm admirably, so far seeming to get the balance right on when to lock down and when to open up, in addition to doing very well on things like testing and PPE compared to most countries.

People expect politicians to be magicians who can click their fingers and solve everything overnight, not helped by those who like to stand on the sidelines throwing insults and pretending there are easy answers to complex problems, but in an imperfect world with limited resources our government has performed admirably this past few years.

Or...

- He oversaw a lot of easy-win social referenda to distract from the worsening crisis in health, housing and the squandering of the "Recovery" generally. There's a reason why FG did so badly in the latest election vs earlier results.

- He handed control of the State to Dr Tony for 2 and a half months until the public and opposition had enough of watching the country go down the toilet and demanded he take a more active role - y'know as a Taoiseach/Government should in a crisis

If Leo deserves this thread then the CMO deserves a statue ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I was nearly in tears during his speeches . Nearly

As far as I recall Leo is not a member of NPHET and didn't make any COVID decisions on his own....

I'm surprised it needs to be explained, but listening to the right advisors and knowing when and how much to heed their advice is a part of good leadership. No head of government has ever single handedly made every single decision on their own. And if they did it would be pretty disastrous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,169 ✭✭✭✭flazio

He brought in equal marriage to be fair. The other big referendum is still controversial. (Do not blaspheme :p )
    I don't think we should ever worship or commemorate political leaders. We voted them in indirectly to do a job and they did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭daedal

Rents in Dublin double what they were a decade ago, thanks Leo!

quokula wrote: »
    I'm surprised it needs to be explained, but listening to the right advisors and knowing when and how much to heed their advice is a part of good leadership. No head of government has ever single handedly made every single decision on their own. And if they did it would be pretty disastrous.
    Yeah so he doesn't deserve as much credit for handling COVID as many people tend to give him. I'd argue that the CMO is to be commended.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He put business and the economy and the wellbeing of, ahead of the health and wellbeing of the ordinary citizen. That’s his legacy. He had the opportunity to act fast when the shït was hitting the fan, he choose not to. The Taoiseach viewed the economy as more important than people staying alive. His slowness to act meant people died.

The hero’s are doctors, nurses, carers and the vast array of health and indeed social staff who’ll get none of the plaudits in the media or certainly very little, but that Leo fella is out in his scrubs getting photographed, all smiles and dollops of insincerity for the opportunity. Tosser, absolute gimp.

He is a vile lizard. The success is thanks to the PEOPLE of this country, who as citizens put their shoulders to the wheel, who sacrificed, put the needs of their country before their own, who did what were the right things over selfish instinctive behavior...Leo is a sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭whippet

daedal wrote: »

double from what base - the bottom of one of the worst recessions in modern history !! its amazing how you can spin anything

daedal wrote: »

.. and more and more younger people completely priced out of renting or buying in the areas near where they work, have families etc. Traffic congestion back to Tiger era levels.

Many younger couples may never be able to afford a house at all unless it's 2 counties away.

CV-19 obviously has another effect we weren't aware of.. amnesia!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Leo will go down as one of this countries greatest ever... spoofers?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭daedal

whippet wrote: »
    double from what base - the bottom of one of the worst recessions in modern history !! its amazing how you can spin anything

Rents never fell during the recession matey

Yeah so he doesn't deserve as much credit for handling COVID as many people tend to give him. I'd argue that the CMO is to be commended.

I'd disagree. The CMO should be commended but the success of Ireland's strategy has more to do with the government. There are plenty of obvious examples of countries who have handled things really badly, despite having just as much depth of talent in their public health bodies.

The CMO's role is actually relatively straightforward in many ways as their job is to follow the science and international best practices recommended by the WHO.

The responsibility ultimately falls to the government however to follow that advice and put the necessary resources in place. Unless you think the US or Brazil would be handling things drastically differently if only they'd had the chance to consult with Tony Holohan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

WTF.
    Kenny took over in March 2011.
    cowans government had to seek a €67.5 billion bailout in Nov 2010 from EU, EFSF & IMF.
    The country was a fooking mess.

The government that came in 2011 faced the biggest economic problems this state have faced since the first government in 1922/23.

And Kenny was leader until Jun 2017 by which time a lot of the recovery was well on it's way.

So stop attributing stuff to the leadership of Mr fooking twitter.

From 2011 to 2014 he was minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport.
    What are his achievements there ?
    From 2014 to 2016 he was minister for Health and please rmeind us what he did there ?
    SFA.

He was then Minister for social protection for 1 year or so before becoming leader and Taoiseach.
    I think it was around that time he spoke about caring about those that get up early for work.
    He forgot about us fairly fooking sharpish, but I guess we are not on twitter and facefook enough.

And Kenny showed that sniveling eejit what real politics is like when he totally outmaneuvered him and that other backstabbing fooker from Meath when they tried to oust him as leader.

BTW you are right the state of HSE is down to all of us.
    Because anytime anyone says anything or tries to dare shake it up, all the protected vested interests and the politicians in fear of them back down.

I am not allowed discuss …

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement