Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think its safe to say; Leo will go down as one of this countries greatest ever...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Globally speaking, Ireland handled Covid-19 very well. FG listened to the experts and acted quickly and decisively against uproar and indignation (IRE V Italy 6 nations cancellation). I'm glad they were in charge to be honest.
    Idbatterim wrote: »
    According to Who did they do a good job? Rte ?

Anyone that's been tracking the pandemic, anyone paying attention to global stats & international reactions and the timing of the reactions & restrictions while you were calling it a "Micky mouse virus".

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Adam9213

Anyone that's been tracking the pandemic, anyone paying attention to global stats & international reactions and the timing of the reactions & restrictions while you were calling it a "Micky mouse virus".

I agree with him that the danger of it is greatly exaggerated tbh and that the statistics are not exactly how they seem at first glance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Adam9213 wrote: »
    I agree with him that the danger of it is greatly exaggerated tbh and that the statistics are not exactly how they seem at first glance.

I hear where you're coming from, but at a time when even the experts were ambiguous and unsure, Ireland handled it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I know FG got all of the big boy ministries, but it's kind of embarrassing watching this new government flailing from one thing to another.

Cowen boozing...Ryan sleeping...Roderic O'Gorman having a shady past.

You'd miss the days of Leo's steady leadership.

Clearly your not paying the extra levys put onto paye workers since they got into power so

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The only thing I will say is this, Vlad and co. gave clear direction. We knew what was what whether we liked it or not.

The current crop are floundering around and the mixed messages are absurd now. But Tony Holohan is gone and the new fella is finding his feet. Time is of the essence now, but everything seems to be pushed out for a week, then another week and so on.

People need some kind of certainty in the message, especially businesses and schools and that.

I'm very disappointed that MM has been a tad indecisive, but I reckon he knows that himself by now not only in relation to Covid. Wink.

• Advertisement

I hear where you're coming from, but at a time when even the experts were ambiguous and unsure, Ireland handled it well.

I think that the people looking into it aren't really sure how dangerous the virus is and the way they see it is it's better to be safe than sorry so I think that a worst case scenario of the virus is what's portrayed (maybe rightly so) that's how I think of the virus I don't think they are intentionally trying to spread fear but they are simply just trying to take all the precautions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Ah well here we are now.

Another FG hate thread for the usual suspects.

Get over it, they were voted out.

You lads are obsessed beyond belief that its weird with Leo and FG.

Very strange.

The chap who started it isn't what I would call your average shinner.

It's very unfair the way people keep saying what they think of FG in a FG thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Bowie wrote: »

It's very unfair the way people keep saying what they think of FG in a FG thread.

Where did I mention SF???

HQ must be paying double tonight.

Where did I mention SF???

HQ must be paying double tonight.

I did. Isn't anyone who criticises FG a shinner?
    You were complaining about a thread started by a confessed FG man because the tone was more in line with reality than FG spin.

Exactly, you wouldn't see anything like this on a Sinn Fein thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Media outlets still turning to leo rather than MM for comment on issues says it all, nobody actually belives MM is leader in anything but name.

Its like those weird periods where putin isnt leader but really is and everyone ignores the ‘stand in’

Media outlets still turning to leo rather than MM for comment on issues says it all, nobody actually belives MM is leader in anything but name.

Its like those weird periods where putin isnt leader but really is and everyone ignores the ‘stand in’

As discussed Leo likes to talk out of school. He's good for a gaffe. His career is littered with it.
    MM has been poor. I was hoping this new FF/FG set would get moving on things but they seem caught up in squabbles.
    The three leaders don't instill confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

As discussed Leo likes to talk out of school. He's good for a gaffe. His career is littered with it.
    MM has been poor. I was hoping this new FF/FG set would get moving on things but they seem caught up in squabbles.
    The three leaders don't instill confidence.

I would agree. It genuinely seems like theyve more interest in keeping SF out than actually coming together to govern. I suppose its low risk though, the alternative was still much worse

I would agree. It genuinely seems like theyve more interest in keeping SF out than actually coming together to govern. I suppose its low risk though, the alternative was still much worse

Theres always hope. I was hoping they might cancel each other out on the bull and be forced to govern but it seems they can't help themselves.
    I'm hoping to see a government with neither of them one day.

The media are always looking for a soundbyte.

Do you really think they prioritise wise and informed discourse over the possibility of a Minister saying something divisive or provocative? Varadkar has form in this area, he likes the media more than Martin does.

Put yourself in the shoes of the political editor of the Indo or The Daily Star. They're not going to him for wise counsel ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

The media are always looking for a soundbyte.

Do you really think they prioritise wise and informed discourse over the possibility of a Minister saying something divisive or provocative? Varadkar has form in this area, he likes the media more than Martin does.

Put yourself in the shoes of the political editor of the Indo or The Daily Star. They're not going to him for wise counsel ffs.

While this is true. It's also true to say FG are pulling the strings in the background. They're playing MM like a fiddle. They've everything set up for this government to fail and the electorate will punish FF rather than FG. Very strong chance FG will end up in the majority of govt withing 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

While this is true. It's also true to say FG are pulling the strings in the background. They're playing MM like a fiddle. They've everything set up for this government to fail and the electorate will punish FF rather than FG. Very strong chance FG will end up in the majority of govt withing 5 years.

I'm still finding your prediction that the Maria Bailey incident was only confined to some malcontents on the interwebby thingy and nothing but a storm in a teacup.
    In your place I would avoid making predictions based on a questionable record.

I'm still finding your prediction that the Maria Bailey incident was only confined to some malcontents on the interwebby thingy and nothing but a storm in a teacup.
    In your place I would avoid making predictions based on a questionable record.

Dude, let it go. That's very old news. She's not a public representative anymore. Stop **** about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Im not a fan of ff or fg but FF are really showing themselves up. All of their precious male whingers who didnt get a promotion are a joke. FG looked professional and competent in government. FF look incompetent.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Dude, let it go. That's very old news. She's not a public representative anymore. Stop **** about it.

The news is old, true. I was making the point about your previous abysmal predictions.

• Advertisement

We heard for years what a mastermind of spin this Varadkar was, pulling all sorts of strings like a Broadway villain; and then the election came and it turned out these strings were attached to nothing -- FG couldn't even work Facebook ads, despite outspending the parties which dominated social media.

I've given up believing in all that nonsense about intrigue and clever poltiical games in FG. It's just a bunch of drips in cheap suits,talking shit like they're Kevin Spacey in House of Cards. No offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

I wouldn't say I miss them, I'd put them as best of a bad lot although the margin isn't huge. FF had a few gaffes in the last couple of weeks but the last few months has shown that all main parties including FG and SF are prone to them.

The only thing is I think FG are slightly less foolish with the public finances* (See SF wanting to spunk away Apple's money that was held in escrow, and both SF and FF stupidly wanting to reduce the pension age despite facing an enormous problem).

*yes I know Irish water, children's hospital, etc. which is why I said less foolish. I'd love to see an economically centre right or even right wing party emerge from the current chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I know FG got all of the big boy ministries, but it's kind of embarrassing watching this new government flailing from one thing to another.

Cowen boozing...Ryan sleeping...Roderic O'Gorman having a shady past.

You'd miss the days of Leo's steady leadership.

Hi OP, you must have a very short memory, it was only a few months ago you told us you were so disillusioned with FG and their sleveen ways, that you posted about, and told us all about leaving their party headquarters after surrendering your membership, and subsequently signed up to become a member of the FF party on the very same day.

Here's my brief synopsis of your online tales.

You're a low level WUM who forgets the spoofs you regaled online.

Or,

You have performed the greatest u-Turn ever, since Barry Cowen (allegedly) spotted an AGS checkpoint from 100 yards away.

Would they not just stop playing games and do their job? Ireland deserves better than two squabbling twins vying for power for powers sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Fine Gael were shocking performers up to the pandemic. The irony of being booted by the electorate and finally stepping up and doing what they should have been doing all along.

Showing stoic, steady leadership.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Fine Gael were shocking performers up to the pandemic. The irony of being booted by the electorate and finally stepping up and doing what they should have been doing all along.

Showing stoic, steady leadership.
    FG abdicated all responsibility to Nphet, just as FF seem intent on doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

FG abdicated all responsibility to Nphet, just as FF seem intent on doing.

Prefer NPHET making the decisions than a bunch of school teachers and publicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I have to say that I was very impressed with Martin making the tough decision on not letting the pubs open. He's making face masks compulsory after Leo flipfloped for months on the issue.

It's very early days yet but I have seen stronger leadership with the new government compared to the last one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Fianna Fail airing dirty laundry in public is like a Greek Comedy it's all getting done to distract and misdirect the public from the tragedies and tribulations of everything going on. Throw in sleepy Eamon and his tragic fall from grace just as he is on the pedestal and it's like Voltaire has had a say or two.

All this satire and dark comedy aside I don't miss the indifference of Fine Gael and their wringing of hands they are in exactly the right place for the current and upcoming crises in being able to deflect blame to the other two parties and slip through the blame game

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement