Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think its safe to say; Leo will go down as one of this countries greatest ever...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Im not a fan of ff or fg but FF are really showing themselves up. All of their precious male whingers who didnt get a promotion are a joke. FG looked professional and competent in government. FF look incompetent.

name of jaysis does gender have to do with it

god forbid someone mention a woman's gender you'd be all over them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Fine Gael on 38%!

Just goes to show what the public think. Quite extraordinary given the start the new Government has had.

Once again the usual suspects and social media in general are way out of step with public opinion.

Not surprised FF are so low by the way - it's completely their fault that things have gotten off to such a rocky start. Some might say that FF and FG are two sides of the same coin - but the past three weeks has shown that the difference in competence and professionalism between the two is night and day.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hmmm, interesting question, I think FG played a blinder here, still in power but not in the firing line for what's coming. It is amusing to watch Simon Harris trying occasionally to look important, with his occasional nonsensical l blurbs. What is telling however is the coherent approach to the pandemic is lost and its looking increasingly chaotic, not at all sure where the greens are, apart from Eamonn Ryan's Nap in the convention centre, I truly dispair.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Roderic O'Gorman having a shady past.

I miss a country where alt-right campaigns were not given credence and the electorate were wise enough not to believe & repeat homophobic libels even if disguised under "shady past".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

While this is true. It's also true to say FG are pulling the strings in the background. They're playing MM like a fiddle. They've everything set up for this government to fail and the electorate will punish FF rather than FG. Very strong chance FG will end up in the majority of govt withing 5 years.

I do think there is an element of this particularly around the Phase 4 and Leos tweeting.
    Precarious time for FF IMO, everything that happens over the next 2 years with MM at the helm is going to land at their door.

I guess historically it was FG trying to clean up the mess after FF, so I'm sure some in FG are enjoying the change of position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Viewing Martin as another FG Taoiseach is a natural approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

name of jaysis does gender have to do with it

god forbid someone mention a woman's gender you'd be all over them

It had a lot to do with it actually. It was highhlighted that more women should have or could have been promoted but no women TDs went out and whinged about how they had been personally insulted about how their constitutency was slapped around. The female TDs in FF FG Greens showed strength, emotional maturity and didnt show themselves up.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

micosoft wrote: »
    I miss a country where alt-right campaigns were not given credence and the electorate were wise enough not to believe & repeat homophobic libels even if disguised under "shady past".

Ah I think all parties not on the racist homophobic far right spectrum know this was all drivel and just an attention seeking stunt. He doesnt have a shady past at all.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Ah I think all parties not on the racist homophobic far right spectrum know this was all drivel and just an attention seeking stunt. He doesnt have a shady past at all.

The attacks on O'Gorman were utterly appalling and were without doubt rooted in homophobia dressed up as a faux 'will somebody think of the children' diatribe.

While so much has changed for the better, it shows how far we still have to travel as a nation for true LGBT+ equality.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I have to say that I was very impressed with Martin making the tough decision on not letting the pubs open. He's making face masks compulsory after Leo flipfloped for months on the issue.

It's very early days yet but I have seen stronger leadership with the new government compared to the last one.

I think they made a complete mess of the opening of the pubs, leaving it until the last minute before telling them they would be closed until August 10th.

Bear in mind the pubs were organising orders and staff and then had to cancel the whole thing at very short notice.

And how exactly is ordering a bit to eat before having a pint supposed to prevent corona in one pub but but its a risk to have just a pint in the ones they won't allow to open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Im not a fan of ff or fg but FF are really showing themselves up. All of their precious male whingers who didnt get a promotion are a joke. FG looked professional and competent in government. FF look incompetent.

Have to agree. FF had a chance to redeem themselves but all the whining and jockying for ministries plus the sulking from those who didnt get one exposes them. Same old "whats in it for me". Party. You just know that the all the old scams and kickbacks are just around the corner. Only trouble is Michael who looks like a bewildered geography teacher who has turned up in school on a bank holiday by accident. Cowan with his braggarty bully personality would have been the perfect leader to bring them back to the Galway races tent. Let the good times roll etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Fine Gael on 38%!

Just goes to show what the public think. Quite extraordinary given the start the new Government has had.

Once again the usual suspects and social media in general are way out of step with public opinion.

Not surprised FF are so low by the way - it's completely their fault that things have gotten off to such a rocky start. Some might say that FF and FG are two sides of the same coin - but the past three weeks has shown that the difference in competence and professionalism between the two is night and day.

How is it night and day? There is zero difference! What we had rational and clear decisions before this ? Its a **** show. They should have let pubs reopen to get data and see where things would go before schools reopened ...pubs may need to be sacrificed until after we have data from schools now. They have likely ruined the economy. If there was anything the media coukdbt get enough, it wasvthe doom wnd gloom from thr cuts. Well its on its way...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It had a lot to do with it actually. It was highhlighted that more women should have or could have been promoted but no women TDs went out and whinged about how they had been personally insulted about how their constitutency was slapped around. The female TDs in FF FG Greens showed strength, emotional maturity and didnt show themselves up.

What use are they to the people who voted for them or the wider public?

Stoic backbenchers, hiding from responsibility and pretending it is strength.

Don't buy it. If they want to stay in the shadow don't go there in the first place. Enough of that already.

I think they made a complete mess of the opening of the pubs, leaving it until the last minute before telling them they would be closed until August 10th.

Bear in mind the pubs were organising orders and staff and then had to cancel the whole thing at very short notice.

And how exactly is ordering a bit to eat before having a pint supposed to prevent corona in one pub but but its a risk to have just a pint in the ones they won't allow to open.

Jesus is "why cant we go for pints?" to be the measure of government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Fine Gael were shocking performers up to the pandemic. The irony of being booted by the electorate and finally stepping up and doing what they should have been doing all along.

Showing stoic, steady leadership.

Same euphemisms we hear like 'law and order party'. They quite rightly followed the instruction of experts. In a health crisis that's not rocket science.

Reminds me of FG Councillor Jim O'Leary:
    Jim O'Leary, a Fine Gael councillor for Dundrum, sent the tweet praising the picture at 1.18am yesterday.
    The social media user posted a picture of the Blueshirts, the organisation founded in the 1930s which later became Fine Gael, performing a Nazi-style salute. The social media user said: "These Fine Gael boys never steer from their past, you have to give them that!"
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fg-councillor-defends-his-love-for-blueshirts-nazi-style-salute-39274128.html

He was actually thanking fascists for 'free speech' while complaining about the Black Lives Matter protests. Nice.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

jprender wrote: »
    In fairness, he’s been brilliant.
    In the pandemic he was good. Before ..even stephen ...a lot of things went to ****...

Martin will surely **** things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,195 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Leo is spoof. A Hollywood person. All talk and image and nothing of substance behind it.
    Sick of his shyte

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

cj maxx wrote: »
    Leo is spoof. A Hollywood person. All talk and image and nothing of substance behind it.
    Sick of his shyte

Leo trying to win over FG members (tax cuts, welfare fraud reporting etc) was a much better false personality than current trying to win over students on twitter Leo

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Could be worse, think about the place one hours flight due east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,777 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'd welcome Leo back over MM

cj maxx wrote: »
    Sick of his shyte

Seems like a grown up to me who deals with stuff and moves on. Who would you prefer; the FF cowboys all bitching and squabbling because the local boyo did't get a ministry?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Leo didn't exactly cover himself with glory having to get the last word dig in at Ruth Morrissey's widower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Trump
    BoJo
    Bolsonaro
    Putin
    Xi
    Modi
    Kim
    Orban
    Duda
    Madura
    Netanyahu
    Bin Salman
    Erdogan
    Every Leader ever in every African country except maybe Mandela

I think that's most of the World covered and it is probably fair to say most of us would pick Leo. (Assuming we couldn't pick Merkel).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Trump
    BoJo
    Bolsonaro
    Putin
    Xi
    Modi
    Kim
    Orban
    Duda
    Madura
    Netanyahu
    Bin Salman
    Erdogan

I think that's most of the World covered and it is probably fair to say most of us would pick Leo. (Assuming we couldn't pick Merkel).

A global "them others would be worse'?
    Forgot Arden, Trudeau, Macron and others.
    I'd take Coveney. Arden globally. Mind its more a showing of how badly the world is off for leaders. Also Leo admires Trump when hes not disrespecting dead people be it from Covid or the cevicheck scandal.

Bowie wrote: »
    A global "them others would be worse'?
    Forgot Trudeau Macron and others.
    I'd take Coveney. Mind its more a showing of how badly the world is off for leaders. Also Leo admires Trump.

Yep, elections are sometimes about picking the best of a bad lot and right now, the World is being led by a particularly awful lot of odious characters. I also would have preferred Coveney.

FWIW I also have great hopes for the current Govt despite the Keystone Cops beginning caused by the last rumblings of the FF dinosaur backbenches. MM is a patently decent man, is his own man and he has some decent Ministers of all stripes in his cabinet. I hope I'm right, the World is going to be a very scary place for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Trump
    BoJo
    Bolsonaro
    Putin
    Xi
    Modi
    Kim
    Orban
    Duda
    Madura
    Netanyahu
    Bin Salman
    Erdogan

Most of the world isn't 13 countries. Half of your list are literal dictators, you're setting the bar very low for Leo.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Most of the world isn't 13 countries. Half of your list are literal dictators, you're setting the bar very low for Leo.

At a rough count I would say there is about 3.5 Bn of the World's population under those charmers. They are the leaders of their country and I think Putin, Xi, Erdogan and definitely Nicolas Maduro would dispute the description of dictator. (Xi having being acclaimed by the Chinese Poiltburo or whatever they call it).

Edit: PS I was forgetting all of Africa in my headcount. That makes it around 5 Bn. According to my maths thats well over half the World.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,777 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

McMurphy wrote: »
    Leo didn't exactly cover himself with glory having to get the last word dig in at Ruth Morrissey's widower.

What he say?

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What he say?

Indeed? Wondering too. Plus "admirer of Trump". Sounds more like someone with a problem just dropping a random smear as they are stuck for any genuine complaint

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement