Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think its safe to say; Leo will go down as one of this countries greatest ever...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Truthvader wrote: »
    Indeed? Wondering too. Plus "admirer of Trump". Sounds more like someone with a problem just dropping a random smear as they are stuck for any genuine complaint

He cooed over him in an interview stated he had his book and called Clare Co. Co. on Trump's behalf.

Alsio:

You came across like someone with a problem in doing a mild piece of digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Bowie wrote: »
    He cooed over him in an interview stated he had his book and called Clare Co. Co. on Trump's behalf.

Alsio:

You came across like someone with a problem in doing a mild piece of digging.

Is that it?

Cant open your link to see what fresh horror you are going to reveal.

As to Trump and Clare. Call anyone you know in the area. Very happy with all the jobs. Trump is exactly the kind of narcasist who would cream himself if you said you had his book. Probably a smart move. Million miles away from admirer

Is that it?

Cant open your link to see what fresh horror you are going to reveal.

As to Trump and Clare. Call anyone you know in the area. Very happy with all the jobs. Trump is exactly the kind of narcasist who would cream himself if you said you had his book. Probably a smart move. Million miles away from admirer

It's not a link it's the address to today's RTE article on Leo's apology or lack there of. Copy and paste it into your address bar. Welcome to the Matrix.

Sure ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What he say?

He (via his "spokesperson" basically had to get a contradictory dig in at a widower, who has just literally just lost his wife.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1284938420586938368?s=19

article here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Am I missing something here? None of the links or references above seem to show that he said anything bad about the poor woman??

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Am I missing something here? None of the links or references above seem to show that he said anything and about the poor woman??

Indeed still wondering myself. Looks like the usualy vague anti Leo stuff. All puff about cronyism and corruption but never anything specific. And often from Sinn Fein supporters absolutely comfortable with the most subhuman behaviour from their own crew

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

McMurphy wrote: »
    He (via his "spokesperson" basically had to get a contradictory dig in at a widower, who has just literally just lost his wife.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1284938420586938368?s=19

article here

Are you guilty of the same paranoia that you seem to be accusing Leo of? You see plots and machinations around each and every issue, drawing on the most tenuous links that you can fish from the Twitter cesspool.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Ok guys. Please explain why Leo has been so great/brilliant etc

Because everyone else that was possible was worse by far.......

Am I missing something here? None of the links or references above seem to show that he said anything and about the poor woman??

Yes you are, no-one said "he said anything about the poor woman", you might need to reread my initial post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Indeed still wondering myself. Looks like the usualy vague anti Leo stuff. All puff about cronyism and corruption but never anything specific. And often from Sinn Fein supporters absolutely comfortable with the most subhuman behaviour from their own crew

His spokesman refuted the husbands claim that she didn’t received an apology. Shows you the level of pettiness that himself and his handlers can reach.
    Reminds me of the time he refuted the doctors in Waterford hospital claims about the dead bodies on trolleys. The man is a low life.

• Advertisement

smurgen wrote: »
    His spokesman refuted the husbands claim that she didn’t received an apology. Shows you the level of pettiness that himself and his handlers can reach.
    Reminds me of the time he refuted the doctors in Waterford hospital claims about the dead bodies on trolleys. The man is a low life.

yeah but Shinners...something! Humanity crossed!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

McMurphy wrote: »
    Yes you are, no-one said "he said anything about the poor woman", you might need to reread my initial post.

Read it and the links. None the wiser tbh

His spokesman refuted the husbands claim that she didn’t received an apology. Shows you the level of pettiness that himself and his handlers can react.

Was his spokesman correct?

FFS Is that it? Some journo probably sought a comment and they merely calmly pointed to the apology that had already issued. Is there nothing real to ctticise him about?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Yes https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/1022/1084970-cervicalcheck-apology/

Also maybe reading a bit too much into two quotes

Well I'm at a loss to explain it any more clearly than how I did, Ruth Morrissey's widower released a statement in the wake of her death, Leo via his spokesperson contradicted a specific part of it.

Regardless if he was or not, there's a time and place to get your last word dig in and contradict someone, it's definitely not in the hours immediately after the death of his wife.

Many of us would recognise the importance of knowing when to have a bit of empathy, and having the gumption to show some respect. Not so for leo or his spokesperson it would seem.

FFS Is that it? Some journo probably sought a comment and they merely calmly pointed to the apology that had already issued. Is there nothing real to ctticise him about?

No it's not. The spokesperson tweeted a comment regarding what the widower had said. It's not from a newspaper.
    It's traditional for apologists to at least acknowledge something happened before moving to dismissing it.
    There's plenty this was something you honed in on.

This is all was needed:
    Leading the tributes to Ms Morrissey yesterday, President Michael D Higgins said: "Ruth Morrissey's tremendous courage in an arduous campaign for truth and justice leaves a legacy of courage for all Irish people, and for those campaigning for women's right to healthcare in particular."

Taoiseach Micheál Martin said: "Ruth was a brave, courageous woman who worked tirelessly for others and for future generations of women."

No it's not. The spokesperson tweeted a comment regarding what the widower had said. It's not from a newspaper.
    It's traditional for apologists to at least acknowledge something happened before moving to dismissing it.

This is all was needed:

Again WTF

Again WTF

You suggested it might be a calm reference in response to a journo. it wasn't. It was a tweet in a point scoring exercise against a widower.

You suggested it might be a calm reference in response to a journo. it wasn't. It was a tweet in a point scoring exercise against a widower.

..... Who tweeted something simply untrue which he must have known was untrue. No drama just a one sentence correction. Is this all you have to be bitching about?

There is plenty to criticise the man about but I think this is a stretch.

• Advertisement

..... Who tweeted something simply untrue which he must have known was untrue. No drama just a one sentence correction. Is this all you have to be bitching about?

Are you are calling the widower and Vicky Phelan liars? Not classy to try score one off a widower in any case.
    Yesterday, a statement issued on behalf of Ruth's husband Paul said that neither the HSE nor the State ever apologised to Ruth Morrissey.

The statement said that now it was "too late" for such an apology.

On today's programme she said, "When I met with the Taoiseach that August I was so angry that Ruth was being brought through the court and he promised that that would not happen. The State and the HSE sat side-by-side with the labs and fought that case tooth and nail."

She described the statement issued by Leo Varadkar yesterday after the death of Ms Morrissey as "insensitive" to have referenced "as Taoiseach, Mr Varadkar gave a formal state apology to all women and their families affected by the cervical check crisis in October 2019."

Ms Phelan said she believes it is too late for a formal apology for Ruth and her family, but that a fitting legacy for her friend would be "to bring screening home."

"There should have been an apology sent by both the State and the HSE at the end of March when the Supreme court came to its decision to Ruth and her family on the harm and the ordeal that they put her through", she said.https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0720/1154340-lorraine-walsh-ruth-morrissey-tribute/

I'm simply commenting on what took place. You seem to be trying to infer reasons why it should be dismissed or ignored. If it's of no interest to you, that's cool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

He promised so much more than Enda but failed to deliver.
    I think he was too nervous to make the big decisions and his handling of Bailey caused his downfall and huge damage to the party.

Remember it was Bailey that forced the general election to take place on Feb 8th (Harris confidence vote). Otherwise it would have been May and a different result. His handling of Bailey and then Dara Murphy probably cost 20 seats. Most are gone to SF.

He did well on McCabe, Garda corruption and the referendums. He was an absentee Health minister. He just gave up early.

I think he was too nervous to make the big decisions and his handling of Bailey caused his downfall and huge damage to the party.

Remember it was Bailey that forced the general election to take place on Feb 8th (Harris confidence vote). Otherwise it would have been May and a different result. His handling of Bailey and then Dara Murphy probably cost 20 seats.

He did well on McCabe, Garda corruption and the referendums.

Not to mention record breaking societal crises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

Agreed, his "looking after those who get up early" promises had a few people including myself optimistic, but failed to deliver as you said.

Funny thing is that they are the most popular at the moment if the polls are to believed, which reflects badly on the quality in Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Yes https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/1022/1084970-cervicalcheck-apology/

Also maybe reading a bit too much into two quotes

He also said they wouldn't have to go to court in that speech.

He also said they wouldn't have to go to court in that speech.

TBF, he said he should have been 'more clear' when he said that :rolleyes:

Are you are calling the widower and Vicky Phelan liars? Not classy to try score one off a widower in any case.

Yes of course I am :rolleyes:

It is another stretch to think that FG voters jumped to Sinn Fein.

Yeah, I mean for all the valid reasons to criticise Leo, having a less than thinly veiled cheap contradictory shot at a man who had literally just lost his wife hours ago should definitely be at the bottom of the pile. /Insertsarcasmemojihere

Some people admittedly will jump on the man with any excuse to have a pop (see the phoenix park episode for example) but in this instance I'm going to stand over my assertion that being unable to resist the urge to correct someone/get the last word or a dig in was lacking empathy, compassion (something Leo himself says he's often accused of) and above all else, common fcuking sense.

Hang me out to dry if you want, but I'd stick by that assertion all day everyday.

Yes of course I am :rolleyes:

It is another stretch to think that FG voters jumped to Sinn Fein.

That was directed at the other chap.
    ..... Who tweeted something simply untrue which he must have known was untrue.

Also it was a released statement not a tweet.

I'm one. So that's one
    Where did all these newly minted SF voters come from? FF increased their vote. As did my personal favs the SD's.
    Of course we wouldn't want to be changing topic to another shinner thread to spare FG blushes.

• Advertisement

That was directed at the other chap.

Also it was a released statement not a tweet.

I'm one. So that's one
    Where did all these newly minted SF voters come from? FF increased their vote. As did my personal favs the SD's.
    Of course we wouldn't want to be changing topic to another shinner thread to spare FG blushes.

OK so you voted Sinn Fein because you thought Leo & Co were a bit "insensitive". Well thanks for that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement