Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cordless Lawn Mower Experience / Recommendations

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

A review from the €220 S & J one on Argos suggests it folds easily.

30 June 2020
    Easy to assemble. very well designed.
    By tony from west london
    Overall Rating5 of 55StarsExcellent
    Recommend to a friend? Yes
    " The mower was well packed with full instructions. the charger and battery were easy to use and fitted to their slots with not difficulty. it was a pleasure not having a mains cable to manipulate. Collapsing the handles was simple and gave more storage in my shed. "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

GreeBo wrote: »
    I thought i saw a pretty compact one in b&q last week for 150, think it was a Bosch rotak?

I was there a couple of days ago and the 150 one is a Macallister, very compact neat model. Bosch Rotak are way more expensive than that and a bit bigger, the electric Rotak is around that price I think but not the cordless one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

phormium wrote: »
    I was there a couple of days ago and the 150 one is a Macallister, very compact neat model. Bosch Rotak are way more expensive than that and a bit bigger, the electric Rotak is around that price I think but not the cordless one.

Yeah I only saw it in passing so could be 100% wrong but I thought I saw a special on the Rotak.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ploploplop

Thanks for all the comments.

Just an update, I waited and got the Flymo Easistore 300 Li from Argos - it went from €270 to €280 last week, then dropped to €180 for this week only (website says off is valid until tomorrow 03/08/2020).

Happy with it so far:
    - Easy to assemble (just follow instructions)
    - Cordless
    - Very light but sturdy
    - Very compact, folds away in a couple of ways
    - Has a roller (for fun, not for professional Wembley style stripes!)

Can't comment on batteries just yet - takes 3 hours to charge, and meant to give 35 mins run time (my lawn took 10 mins).

The larger 340 size has a grass full indicator, and also a single lever to raise the cut (small bit tricky with the 300, but won't be changing levels that often anyway).

And the cut is good. Now I need to hope that it's a reliable piece of kit and lasts a few years.

So to circle back on this 1.5 years later...

The Flymo Easistore 300 Li lawnmower has been great - nice cut, and nice and compact for storage.

BUT now one of the batteries has failed and I cannot get a replacement ANYWHERE! Flymo are absolutely no help - they haven't responded to an online request so far, phone ringing out, but I'll try again next week - from what I've seen online they haven't been helpful at all to others who queried about replacement batteries. Bought the lawnmower in Argos but they only cover the product/battery for one year, as do Flymo. So now I'm with a lawnmower that is fit for the skip, and need to spend again to get a new lawnmower.

I was well aware of looking after the batteries carefully - kept them indoors the whole time, and the weather has been so good I've been cutting regularly throughout the autumn and winter, maybe at least every 6 weeks. But last week the lawnmower wouldn't start, and low and behold, one of the two batteries won't charge.

The batteries is a 20V Li-ion battery - 967913201 (someone else on boards suggested that this is the same as Husqvarna 591088401). I can see it one this website https://www.wolfswinkel.shop/spare-parts-flymo/967913201/flymo-accu-c-li-20v but they're not responding to calls or emails, and the recent reviews are poor. Besides, they've a bug on their website so it's not possible to complete a purchase. Very suspect.

Half tempted to try and "jump" the batteries based on some youtube videos out there - looks very risky - I'd happily spend €50-€100 for a replacement battery, if only they were stocked somewhere.

Throwing this comment up on boards in case anyone can help in any way!

Post edited by ploploplop on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

you'll find replacement batteries very hard to come by, because they're classed as 'hazardous' many UK & European sellers will not ship to Ireland to joe public - - go back to the shop where you got the flymo and asked them could they order a replacement battery for you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

Gosh that's very annoying! I've had my Bosch one for years and still going strong. I had a Flymo before that for maybe 15 yrs and replaced battery once but of course as we all know they don't make them to last anymore!

Another update - success! Flymo have responded and are kindly sending out a replacement battery. Such a relief considering I couldn't find one anywhere and I had read numerous complaints online about the challenges of getting a replacement.

Just a word of warning for others who are getting cordless tools, it's definitely worth purchasing an extra one whilst you can and continually using all your batteries.

Advertisement