Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breaking a large boulder

• 27-06-2020 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Currently clearing a site for a house.. came across a boulder that is proving tricky. Have a 13.5 ton machine that cant move it or smash it.

Anyone have any recommendations for breaking it. It's fairly similar shape to a cube, all the sides roughly the same size. Each side is roughly 1.5m x 1.5m if that makes sense. I'm thinking of hiring a jackhammer and seeing how that goes.

Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Maybe hire a breaker attachment for the digger rather than a jackhammer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Currently clearing a site for a house.. came across a boulder that is proving tricky. Have a 13.5 ton machine that cant move it or smash it.

Anyone have any recommendations for breaking it. It's fairly similar shape to a cube, all the sides roughly the same size. Each side is roughly 1.5m x 1.5m if that makes sense. I'm thinking of hiring a jackhammer and seeing how that goes.

Any suggestions welcome.

Rockbreaker for the digger .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Who2

If it’s away from the house far enough, light a fire around or on it. A lot of the time the heat will split it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

There are chemicals you can buy for rock breaking. You drill the rock, insert the chemical, it expands and splits the rock. Do a google search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You'd be hard work on that with even a rockbreaker. I'd go with the chemical and drill or the fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

listermint wrote: »
    You'd be hard work on that with even a rockbreaker. I'd go with the chemical and drill or the fire.

Or your local who haven't gone any you know councillor.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Think if you are going the fire route you have to chuck a bucket of cold water on it when the rock is good and hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

How big is it? Stick it up on DoneDeal or Adverts... some people would love to buy it or take it away to put in a garden or use as a landscaping feature.

Advertisement