Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micheàl Martin: Our new Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭billyhead

Someone said MM was sleeveen. Absolute bull****. He's one of the most honest hard-working politicians in the Oireachtas. Much prefer him as Taoiseach to Leo. Such a vast wealth of experience. And in relation to the last crash people have to take personal responsibility for borrowing beyond their means. Nobody held a gun to their head when taking out a 100 percent mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

was it FF who decimated the country or was it the global financial crisis?

The SF apologists will always blame FF.

People with intelligence will know that a worldwide recession caused the main damage.

Ordinary people bidding up house prices need to accept some blame too as do bankers and also those in political office.

But despite what the SF and other leftist "its the gubberment" wish to think, there were many aspects to the economic collapse.

They don't explain how years of making it a very open economy allowed a fairly rapid recovery.

Funny, Northern Ireland still have not recovered to the same extent and also had a recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,305 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I see shinnerbots on social media blathering on about MM being elected on the 6th count while most of their lot were elected on the 1st count. I think they need to do a civics lesson for SF fans on how our system actually works.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Im not a FF supporter but I wish MM well. I see him as far superior to Varadkar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I see shinnerbots on social media blathering on about MM being elected on the 6th count while most of their lot were elected on the 1st count. I think they need to do a civics lesson for SF fans on how our system actually works.

Martin McGuinness was elected to the assembly on the 7th count one time, and was deputy 1st minister a few weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Can people not just live in the now...?

Let’s start. The people have formed a government

All just human beings trying their best for the good of society..

For me the problem is SF, PBP, Rise and any more these aggressive in your face people looking to blame everyone else for “issues” in society; pandering to the uncouth and rough in society, and actively encouraging aggression and vitriol all the time..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

First time Sinn Fein voters don't know what's going on here. They've now just realised they're not in, and are struggling to grasp the concept of how Government is formed, and don't know what a coalition is.

Social media is quite funny to read at the moment. They're a clueless bunch.

All the best to Michael Martin. A huge sigh of relief all round from most.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Im not a FF supporter but I wish MM well. I see him as far superior to Varadkar.

Would you like white or brown Bread with your sh1t sandwich?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Darc19 wrote: »
    The SF apologists will always blame FF.

People with intelligence will know that a worldwide recession caused the main damage.

Ordinary people bidding up house prices need to accept some blame too as do bankers and also those in political office.

But despite what the SF and other leftist "its the gubberment" wish to think, there were many aspects to the economic collapse.

They don't explain how years of making it a very open economy allowed a fairly rapid recovery.

Funny, Northern Ireland still have not recovered to the same extent and also had a recession.

SF didn't surge after the crash. FG did so it's a little more complicated then SF and the leftist boogie man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Ah leave the poor gob****es alone. They're like kids who lost their confirmation money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Can we expect this government to last?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

was it FF who decimated the country or was it the global financial crisis?

Fianna Fail cheered on by near everyone but Labour.
    Global crisis made it worse but we were due our own. It's well documented.

Well done Fine Gael. Major achievement making FF relevant when they should have been disbanded.

Hopefully now MM got his dream, it likely being his political farewell tour he might try leave a legacy of being decent to the tax payer.. don't laugh, it could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Slattsy wrote: »
    First time Sinn Fein voters don't know what's going on here. They've now just realised they're not in, and are struggling to grasp the concept of how Government is formed, and don't know what a coalition is.

Social media is quite funny to read at the moment. They're a clueless bunch.

All the best to Michael Martin. A huge sigh of relief all round from most.
    Any FF, FG or Green party members out there like to tell me how they have a right to vote on a prgramme for government but I don't, how they have a right to vote on my future but I don't. Where in the rules for a general election does it say this?

Well there's my afternoon planned out, having a good read and a chuckle. You'd think they'd be use to being ignored at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

billyhead wrote: »
    Someone said MM was sleeveen. Absolute bull****. He's one of the most honest hard-working politicians in the Oireachtas. Much prefer him as Taoiseach to Leo. Such a vast wealth of experience. And in relation to the last crash people have to take personal responsibility for borrowing beyond their means. Nobody held a gun to their head when taking out a 100 percent mortgage.

I worked hard, paid my mortgage, have never even owned a car, yet through the mismanagement of gangsters like MM, I had to pay for other people's mistakes.

Yet, I don't have a massive pension waiting for whenever I want it.

So spare me the nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

FG are going to be the ones pulling the strings in this government. Leo, Simon, Simon and Paschal are far more intelligent than their coalition partners. You can be damn sure that any decisions Michael takes will have been given the go ahead from Fine Gael.

It's quite well known that the European Commission is very close with many in Fine Gael and will consult directly with them on serious policy matters before going officially to Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Not a particular fan of his or indeed FF but I wish them all well.

For ALL our sakes...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

It's quite clear how our system works. I suspect their point is more about popularity and I suspect you know this. Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire topped that constituency on the first count by far exceeding the quota, therefore, it can be stated that he was far more popular with his constituents than our new Taoiseach, whose vote was clearly nowhere near O'Laoghaire's in terms of numbers.

That count was actually quite interesting in that Simon Coveney also struggled in that same constituency, finally getting elected on the last count, yet both will be in government, whilst the poll topper will not, along with many more of his party's poll toppers. This is where it appears to be unfair to the many thousands who went out and voted for something different.

I suspect had SF run more candidates, we wouldn't be having the same smug remarks about 'how the system works', if their overwhelming popularity with the electorate had put them in the driving seat and had they not been excluded by the two lower polling parties.

We wait with hope to see if this 'new' government can deliver on their promises. Yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭bunderoon

People seem to think that there is a difference between FF FG SF GP etc, there isnt.

You have self serving parasites at the top of each party and only a very small handful of honest hard working politicians that never rise to the top.

I cant believe that after all that has happened over the last 30 years that when there is a change in the top seat, that somehow there will be a change from the status quo. The electorate get what they (I) deserve. Nothing will change until there is change en-mass.
    We elect rotten apples every 4 years who work hard for big business interests, not the national interest. Amazing how people cant see through this thinly veiled facade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

bunderoon wrote: »
    People seem to think that there is a difference between FF FG SF GP etc, there isnt.

You have self serving parasites at the top of each party and only a very small handful of honest hard working politicians that never rise to the top.

I cant believe that after all that has happened over the last 30 years that when there is a change in the top seat, that somehow there will be a change from the status quo. The electorate get what they (I) deserve. Nothing will change until there is change en-mass.
    We elect rotten apples every 4 years who work hard for big business interests, not the national interest. Amazing how people cant see through this thinly veiled facade.

This is the type of thing you'd expect to hear said in a drum circle as you pass the doobie to the left, maaaan.

Wake up sheeple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭bunderoon

It's quite clear how our system works. I suspect their point is more about popularity and I suspect you know this. Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire topped that constituency on the first count by far exceeding the quota, therefore, it can be stated that he was far more popular with his constituents than our new Taoiseach, whose vote was clearly nowhere near O'Laoghaire's in terms of numbers.

That count was actually quite interesting in that Simon Coveney also struggled in that same constituency, finally getting elected on the last count, yet both will be in government, whilst the poll topper will not, along with many more of his party's poll toppers. This is where it appears to be unfair to the many thousands who went out and voted for something different.

I suspect had SF run more candidates, we wouldn't be having the same smug remarks about 'how the system works', if their overwhelming popularity with the electorate had put them in the driving seat and had they not been excluded by the two lower polling parties.

We wait with hope to see if this 'new' government can deliver on their promises. Yet again.

They wont deliver their 'promises' to us. But the certainly will deliver their promises to ensure that they secure their future board positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Michael Martin also said Ireland's sovereignty was a backward-looking idea so I dont have much faith in him thinking independently of what is in Ireland's best interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

walshb wrote: »
    Can people not just live in the now...?

Let’s start. The people have formed a government

All just human beings trying their best for the good of society..

For me the problem is SF, PBP, Rise and any more these aggressive in your face people looking to blame everyone else for “issues” in society; pandering to the uncouth and rough in society, and actively encouraging aggression and vitriol all the time..
    You must of carved your piece of the cake Mr Walsh before FF did what they did to a generation 10 years ago.

I think it's a bit ironic as well that you're telling people to live in the now, when FF and the Greens still have the same Muppets at the forefront of their parties that were there and did the damage 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's about fcuking time.
    There's glaciers faster than the formation of this government.

This is the type of thing you'd expect to hear said in a drum circle as you pass the doobie to the left, maaaan.

Wake up sheeple.

Chainnnnnnngggge, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭billyhead

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I worked hard, paid my mortgage, have never even owned a car, yet through the mismanagement of gangsters like MM, I had to pay for other people's mistakes.

Yet, I don't have a massive pension waiting for whenever I want it.

So spare me the nonsense.

Good for you but as previously mentioned by another poster it was a global recession and the Government at the time didn't have the power to reign in the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

FF took a far bigger number of first preference votes in that constituency than SF. The only reason Martin didn't top the poll is because, unlike SF, FF got their campaign strategy right and split their vote to return 2 TDs

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Major backward step making Michael Martin taoiseach.. leo varadkar certainly wasn't perfect but spoke well and handled the covid pandemic relatively good..
    As for people moaning about any specific party.. there all much the same and anything they really feck up is just brushed under the carpet and an odd time theres a tribunal held into past actions ..but these dont really deliver any positive changes or hold people to account.. were living on an island and the politicians and the few parties are simply all on a merry go round..
    Anyone dreaming about change need to wake up.. new day ...same empty promises and crap that they hope we will all believe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

You are entitled to question Martin's politics, but I think he is entitled to proper spelling of his name.
    That the OP and most posters chose not to do so is an indication of the seriousness of this thread.

• Advertisement

We’ve used our PR-STV system for 99 years now. So it doesn’t matter a shïte if people find it unfair. It’s their fault for not understanding it.

517964.jpg

Advertisement