Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Micheàl Martin: Our new Taoiseach

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's quite clear how our system works. I suspect their point is more about popularity and I suspect you know this. Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire topped that constituency on the first count by far exceeding the quota, therefore, it can be stated that he was far more popular with his constituents than our new Taoiseach, whose vote was clearly nowhere near O'Laoghaire's in terms of numbers.

Hang on a second. FF got 35% FPV (MM got just over 19%) in that constituency and elected 2 candidates. SF got 25% and elected a single candidate. And you're trying to tell us that SF somehow "won". FF were clearly more popular in that constituency. Clearly SF would've been better running second candidates in a load of constituencies and getting both elected on the 7th or 8th counts rather than blowing the lights out with one candidate. SF supporters are electorally illiterate and believe because they elected single candidates across the country on the first count they somehow "won" the election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

ceegee wrote: »
    FF took a far bigger number of first preference votes in that constituency than SF. The only reason Martin didn't top the poll is because, unlike SF, FF got their campaign strategy right and split their vote to return 2 TDs

Both got more first preferences? I'd like to see that data.

I would have thought transfers from other candidates played a much larger part in their elections than first preference votes, but I'm open to be proven wrong. As far as I'm aware, Michael McGrath of FF was elected last without reaching the quota.

Anyway, as I said before, had SF run more candidates, I suspect all this talk of how well the system works would be more muted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

namloc1980 wrote: »
    SF supporters are electorally illiterate and believe because they elected single candidates across the country on the first count they somehow "won" the election.

Insulting a large swathe of the electorate won't win you any prizes. Such tactics tend only to entrench the view that FFG voters believe they are somehow superior to those who would have preferred a change to the never ending status quo.

I already said SF may well have been in a far superior position had they run more candidates and I understand very well the electoral system. My point was the SF candidate in that particular constituency was the most popular candidate in terms of votes. He received many more votes than the current Taoiseach did.

As usual, it's pointless trying to engage in conversation with posters who use childish insults to make their point, so congratulations on your new Taoiseach, I hope he's all you hoped he would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

My point was the SF candidate in that particular constituency was the most popular candidate in terms of votes. He received many more votes than the current Taoiseach did.

The Taoiseach who got 2 candidates over the line yeah? Your point is essentially pointless without being put in the context of the reality of PRSTV and that FF were by far the most popular party in that constituency. If this was a FPTP system then that would be a fair point. But without context, it's pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Hang on a second. FF got 35% FPV (MM got just over 19%) in that constituency and elected 2 candidates. SF got 25% and elected a single candidate. And you're trying to tell us that SF somehow "won". FF were clearly more popular in that constituency. Clearly SF would've been better running second candidates in a load of constituencies and getting both elected on the 7th or 8th counts rather than blowing the lights out with one candidate. SF supporters are electorally illiterate and believe because they elected single candidates across the country on the first count they somehow "won" the election.

But the fishwife wouldnt give up the adrenaline rush of seeing the headline "Fishwife elected on the first count"
    The puss on her today told it all. Another five years and another two stone before there is a chance of getting a sniff of power and no guarantee of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Does anybody have the TVAM video about the money resting in his wife's bank account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

If FF were more popular in that constituency for this election, then the result would have been exactly the same as it was in 2016.
    McGrath won, Martin took the second seat, Coveney the third and O’Laoighre the last one.
    This time around, O’Laoighre took the first seat by quite a margin. If he wasn’t the most popular candidate this time around, that wouldn’t have happened. The result would have been the same as last time.
    Martin, McGrath & Coveney have had Cork south central nicely tied up for quite a number of years and the fact that a relatively new candidate blew them all out of the water can’t be denied.

I’m fully aware of how the elections work but it’s quite galling that the candidate who took the #1 seat will likely be the only one without a ministerial position in that constituency, while our new Taoiseach was elected on the sixth count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

It's quite clear how our system works. I suspect their point is more about popularity and I suspect you know this. Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire topped that constituency on the first count by far exceeding the quota, therefore, it can be stated that he was far more popular with his constituents than our new Taoiseach, whose vote was clearly nowhere near O'Laoghaire's in terms of numbers.

That count was actually quite interesting in that Simon Coveney also struggled in that same constituency, finally getting elected on the last count, yet both will be in government, whilst the poll topper will not, along with many more of his party's poll toppers. This is where it appears to be unfair to the many thousands who went out and voted for something different.

I suspect had SF run more candidates, we wouldn't be having the same smug remarks about 'how the system works', if their overwhelming popularity with the electorate had put them in the driving seat and had they not been excluded by the two lower polling parties.

We wait with hope to see if this 'new' government can deliver on their promises. Yet again.

SF indeed did get a great vote and indeed had a mandate to be part of Government if they had persued.
    When Covid came along they went into hiding and have not being heard from since.
    The got the one time opportunity and the blew-it.
    We will never have mature politics in this country as we simply do not want it...

All i see most people talking about Donald and Boris and thinking our politics great....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

billyhead wrote: »
    Good for you but as previously mentioned by another poster it was a global recession and the Government at the time didn't have the power to reign in the banks.

The government had plenty of power over the banks but chose not to exercise that option.

All we got was Bertie Ahern telling those asking questions to go and commit suicide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Not all of us spelt his name incorrectly
    Charles baggage..
    But I think all these politicians that have been elected at various stages over the past 20 years and have all played the game.. looked after their own interests etc.. quite frankly these plonkers should be very happy if it's only a few people on boards mis spelling any politicians name.. we all know the correct name for these people .. but won't offend anyone today..just look back at their past performances..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

People got what they voted for, tough few years ahead, I wouldn't want anyone else other than FF FG at the helm

I thought most voted for Sinn Fein??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,638 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Never liked Michael after I had to sit behind him on a packed late night return flight from Brussels once. He and his cronies were clearly after a few tipples and he couldn't sit still the entire flight, constantly turning around to shout across me at his chums. We've all been a bit rowdy after a few, but most of us aren't the leader of a major political party / country.

That said, I despise Éamon Ryan far more. He spilt my tea many years ago at an event in Dublin Castle and never apologised. Manners goes a long way.

Never liked Michael after I had to sit behind him on a packed late night return flight from Brussels once. He and his cronies were clearly after a few tipples and he couldn't sit still the entire flight, constantly turning around to shout across me at his chums. We've all been a bit rowdy after a few, but most of us aren't the leader of a major political party / country.

That said, I despise Éamon Ryan far more. He spilt my tea many years ago at an event in Dublin Castle and never apologised. Manners goes a long way.

Thats the price you pay for mixing with the higher echelons of Irish society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

In have to say in a way i am not really unhappy as at last the voters will have realized the cronyism of all our political system.
    FF/FG the same, the greens play along and SF forfeit the game.
    Then we have the Kerry Millions, Lowry and a few other X party Independent + X MEPs, going forward???
    Sure we sent another one of our dodgy bankrupt ones to Brussels a couple of months ago.
    We will cop -on eventually...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

That count was actually quite interesting in that Simon Coveney also struggled in that same constituency, finally getting elected on the last count, yet both will be in government, whilst the poll topper will not, along with many more of his party's poll toppers. This is where it appears to be unfair to the many thousands who went out and voted for something different.

I suspect had SF run more candidates, we wouldn't be having the same smug remarks about 'how the system works', if their overwhelming popularity with the electorate had put them in the driving seat and had they not been excluded by the two lower polling parties.

We wait with hope to see if this 'new' government can deliver on their promises. Yet again.

With the ultimate irony being that O Laoghaire is the only one not in the cabinet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭threeball

Edgware wrote: »
    But the fishwife wouldnt give up the adrenaline rush of seeing the headline "Fishwife elected on the first count"
    The puss on her today told it all. Another five years and another two stone before there is a chance of getting a sniff of power and no guarantee of that

ML will need two seats for herself next time round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Jesus I'm loving or cringing for the Facebook warriors saying the people didn't vote you in as Taoiseach.

Are these people actually for real or am I missing something??????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

I must say as a floating voter in general, I voted FF in the last election because the local TD is a good guy for the the community where I live, stands up for rural Ireland in a big way, I was delighted to see Mcheal Martin made Taoiseach today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I think he will jump on the anti immigration bank wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I think he will jump on the anti immigration bank wagon.

Why do you think that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Jizique

I thought he didn’t drink?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Jizique

Jesus I'm loving or cringing for the Facebook warriors saying the people didn't vote you in as Taoiseach.

Are these people actually for real or am I missing something??????

Facebook should be banned from all political activity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

At least we have a Cork Taoiseach, again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

was it FF who decimated the country or was it the global financial crisis?
    Still can't believe that FF took down Lehman Brothers - who'd have thought they had so much power?
    Someone said MM was sleeveen. Absolute bull****. He's one of the most honest hard-working politicians in the Oireachtas. Much prefer him as Taoiseach to Leo. Such a vast wealth of experience. And in relation to the last crash people have to take personal responsibility for borrowing beyond their means. Nobody held a gun to their head when taking out a 100 percent mortgage.

Jaysus fook the soldiers of dysentery are back out from hiding under their rocks after their fooking party oversaw our two biggest banks needing bailouts, another one having to be offloaded to one of the first two and two other major financial institutions going bust dumping billions of debt on the taxpayers.

The same ones who were in bed with the developers when not ar**licking each other in a tent in Galway, the same developers who managed to offload their debts on the taxpayers.

Ye have necks like jockeys' boll**s alright.

And what the fook has martin every done.
    Oh yeah sat at cabinet with the lying sleeveen from Drumcondra who didn't have a bank account, who attended parties getting wads of cash, and then sat at cabinet with that drunk buffoon from Offaly who played golf and ate with one of the biggest chancers in Irish banking and never once discussed their share price going down the sh*tter.

A pox on ye.

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    Jaysus fook the soldiers of dysentery are back out from hiding under their rocks after their fooking party oversaw our two biggest banks needing bailouts, another one having to be offloaded to one of the first two and two other major financial institutions going bust dumping billions of debt on the taxpayers.

The same ones who were in bed with the developers when not ar**licking each other in a tent in Galway, the same developers who managed to offload their debts on the taxpayers.

Ye have necks like jockeys' boll**s alright.

And what the fook has martin every done.
    Oh yeah sat at cabinet with the lying sleeveen from Drumcondra who didn't have a bank account, who attended parties getting wads of cash, and then sat at cabinet with that drunk buffoon from Offaly who played golf and ate with one of the biggest chancers in Irish banking and never once discussed their share price going down the sh*tter.

A pox on ye.
    Don't be like that. Go home and meditate in front of your poster of the fishwife

Someone said MM was sleeveen. Absolute bull****. He's one of the most honest hard-working politicians in the Oireachtas. Much prefer him as Taoiseach to Leo. Such a vast wealth of experience. And in relation to the last crash people have to take personal responsibility for borrowing beyond their means. Nobody held a gun to their head when taking out a 100 percent mortgage.

Working hard for who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Working hard for who?

For the party of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

He lives near my late sister's house in Cork. He was always called the altarboy, because he came across as being holier than thou.

Anyway, I wish him well, and hopefully FF have learned their lesson and have matured over the years since they assisted the crashing of this country in the bad old days.

No doubt the Silver Keys pub around the corner from his gaff is booked out for a mighty party on Monday. LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

He lives near my late sister's house in Cork. He was always called the altarboy, because he came across as being holier than thou.

Anyway, I wish him well, and hopefully FF have learned their lesson and have matured over the years since they assisted the crashing of this country in the bad old days.

No doubt the Silver Keys pub around the corner from his gaff is booked out for a mighty party on Monday. LOL.

When we have a national government who run the country in the best interests of the country and politicians are made accountable when wrongdoings will be a day of national celebrations. But as long as we have politicians who line their own pockets with Lowry et al who operate with impunity then this is a pipe dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

He gets 901 days as Taoiseach.

Only doing it for a few lines in the history books.

Advertisement