Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddy Holohan reinstated to Sinn Féin.

Options
  • 27-06-2020 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/paddy-holohan-controversial-sinn-fein-councillor-reinstated-to-party-1007747.html

First off I want to point out that I am no fan of the internationals-fellating FF/FG duopoly in Ireland and I believe that Fianna Fáil, in particular, are evil.

That being said I find it very difficult to take Sinn Féin seriously when they reinstate Paddy Holohan into their ranks only a few months after his disgusting homophobic and racist comments about Leo Varadkar. Allow me to refresh your memory about the remarks in question:
    "Someone that knows what it’s like to have kids, maybe hopefully boys and girls, so when you’re creating the policies and stuff that’s going to go on, that you’re like right, it makes sense."
    "Leo Varadkar’s blood ­obviously runs to India. His great-grandfather is not part of the history of this ­country. Now Leo obviously is. He’s an Irish ­citizen but his ­passion doesn’t go back to the times when our passion goes back to."
    These comments are completely unacceptable from any politician representing a mainstream party trying to maintain a respectable image. The idea that Sinn Féin would take Paddy Holohan after he made these disgusting remarks totally illegitimises their party in my view. They should have thrown Holohan and his knock-off Conor McGregor act into the waste bin where he belongs.

Comments

The episode of his podcast where he has Gerry Adams on is a great window into how utterly clueless he himself is about the history of this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Reinstated, and then five minutes later nominate him for mayor of SDCC.

And I'm not swallowing that bullsh1t from SF head office that it was a solo run by the local branch either., no-one in SF gets to do anything unless it's been sanctioned from above.

You also neglected to add his views on underage girls and rape accusations as well.
    Mr Holohan's comments on his No Shame podcast, where he had claimed underage girls were extorting men for money.

"There is some f****** scum women out there as well.

“And I just want to say to you, there’s a situation that I heard during the week… somebody was underage, the person didn’t know they were underage, the girl pursued the guy.

“Got whatever she needed, had pictures, had videos, and then said ‘I want 10 grand’.

“And that was, that wasn’t the first person, there was loads of them."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

from the Tyson fury conor MacGregor level of humanity

not fit to be allowed out in public never mid to hold public office

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/%C3%B3-broin-says-nomination-of-sinn-f%C3%A9in-s-paddy-holohan-for-mayor-wrong-1.4289812

This is strange one. It appears the local SF branch have nominated him for the role of Mayor. The SF parliamentary party and executive won't be happy and will probably seek to change it.

It does illustrate the nonsense spouted about SF by FF and FGers who claim that SF are not run like a normal democratic party and are instead run like a dictatorship or a like a military outfit was and is totally false. Turns out that that was a load of bullshít...surprise surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

TheCitizen wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/%C3%B3-broin-says-nomination-of-sinn-f%C3%A9in-s-paddy-holohan-for-mayor-wrong-1.4289812

This is strange one. It appears the local SF branch have nominated him for the role of Mayor. The SF parliamentary party and executive won't be happy and will probably seek to change it.

It does illustrate the nonsense spouted about SF by FF and FGers who claim that SF are not run like a normal democratic party and are instead run like a dictatorship or a like a military outfit was and is totally false. Turns out that that was a load of bullshít...surprise surprise.

You’d think one of their 200 employees would be tasked with getting regular updates from their representatives in local government. It’s not like they have many of them.

• Advertisement

Reinstated, and then five minutes later nominate him for mayor of SDCC.

And I'm not swallowing that bullsh1t from SF head office that it was a solo run by the local branch either., no-one in SF gets to do anything unless it's been sanctioned from above.

You also neglected to add his views on underage girls and rape accusations as well.

Nah. If anything this instance proves that you're repeating the bullshít and lies that FFG claimed about "everything in SF being sanctioned from above" etc.

You’d think one of their 200 employees would be tasked with getting regular updates from their representatives in local government. It’s not like they have many of them.

It's a gaffe, no argument about it. I'm sure they'll rectify it, they should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Nah. If anything this instance proves that you're repeating the bullshít and lies that FFG claimed about "everything in SF being sanctioned from above" etc.
    It's a gaffe, no argument about it. I'm sure they'll rectify it, they should do.

So it wasn't sanctioned from above but "they" will rectify it. Kinda saying that everything is sanctioned from above according to my reading.

Ronin247 wrote: »
    So it wasn't sanctioned from above but "they" will rectify it. Kinda saying that everything is sanctioned from above according to my reading.

Well I don't know for definite, I imagine they will rectify it. If they do rectify it you will criticise them for "sanctioning from above" and if they don't rectify it you will criticise them for not rectifying it.

You're probably an FFGer, doesn't really matter what they do you'll criticise. Your party took Verona Murphy into the fold and then threw her out (correctly) when she played the race card to get attention. Was that "sanctioning from above"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Politicians often use family as PR so I don't see how it's wrong to say you want a family man in charge. In no way is that homophobic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

They took their eye off the ball while being preoccupied as to how they would avoid government. Its O Broin's territory and he has a second t.d. in his constituency to keep the grassroots in line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Could be interesting to see how this plays out.
    There is reason to believe that SF's base does not share its more woke positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    There is reason to believe that SF's base does not share its more woke positions.
    When the revolution comes the first up against the wall is anyone who uses the word "woke"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Politicians often use family as PR so I don't see how it's wrong to say you want a family man in charge. In no way is that homophobic.

What has having a family got to do with being a politician or your abilities?

One of the good things about Irish politics is generally the family is kept out of politics.

I vote for a politician not his or her ability to have children. If anything a single person is more likely to be committed to their role.

It will be interesting to see how SF do in opposition. They have an opportunity to grow in that space and become genuine potential government leaders. However if they score lots of own goals like this one that won't happen.

If it's the case that you're right and some of it's base don't share the more progressive outlook of the party leadership then they'll need to resolve that. Their opponents will accuse them then of "sanctioning from above" etc., but never mind that bullshít, they'll need to resolve that for their own prospects.

Edgware wrote: »
    When the revolution comes the first up against the wall is anyone who uses the word "woke"

It's a convenient short-hand for culturally left positions that have come into vogue in the last decade and are pushed in a preachy and intolerant manner.
    Add something better to the discussion than your irascible nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I think the Sinn Féiners around Tallaght are major Paddy Holohan lickarses. Obviously a major disconnect in the party as Mary Lou would never have let this fly.

It definitely calls into question the calibre of people they have in the ranks at grass roots. The optics of this move are quite poor and they obviously didn't even consider it.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I think the Sinn Féiners around Tallaght are major Paddy Holohan lickarses. Obviously a major disconnect in the party as Mary Lou would never have let this fly.

Where does Eoin O'Broin fit in? I thought he'd be at odds with Holohan over his comments and it's supposed to be his turf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Where does Eoin O'Broin fit in? I thought he'd be at odds with Holohan over his comments and it's supposed to be his turf.

I would be very surprised if Ó Broin gave thís his backing. Seems they acted without consulting the leadership who would have understood exactly the kickback that would come from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Seriously scraping barrels are SF here with the caliber of people they seem to be attracting and pursuing to their party..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,122 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Is anyone surprised? Holohan is the exact kind of voter they target so of course he is back in to attract more of his ilk .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Edgware wrote: »
    They took their eye off the ball while being preoccupied as to how they would avoid government.

SF never had the numbers, but hey ho. :rolleyes:
    What has having a family got to do with being a politician or your abilities?

One of the good things about Irish politics is generally the family is kept out of politics.

I vote for a politician not his or her ability to have children. If anything a single person is more likely to be committed to their role.

I agree, but this has been going on for decades in Irish politics. Politicians putting their families to the fore when it suits them, and then banging on about privacy when they're caught doing something that's unbecoming of a family man.

Why have so many various office holders brought their partners with them on state business at the taxpayers' expense?

walshb wrote: »
    Seriously scraping barrels are SF here with the caliber of people they seem to be attracting and pursuing to their party..

SF definitely have a candidate quality problem but every party is mainly dirtbags. Think of anyone you knew who went into politics.

Cyrus wrote: »
    Is anyone surprised? Holohan is the exact kind of voter they target so of course he is back in to attract more of his ilk .

No surprise whatsoever...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/paddy-holohan-controversial-sinn-fein-councillor-reinstated-to-party-1007747.html

First off I want to point out that I am no fan of the internationals-fellating FF/FG duopoly in Ireland and I believe that Fianna Fáil, in particular, are evil.

That being said I find it very difficult to take Sinn Féin seriously when they reinstate Paddy Holohan into their ranks only a few months after his disgusting homophobic and racist comments about Leo Varadkar. Allow me to refresh your memory about the remarks in question:

These comments are completely unacceptable from any politician representing a mainstream party trying to maintain a respectable image. The idea that Sinn Féin would take Paddy Holohan after he made these disgusting remarks totally illegitimises their party in my view. They should have thrown Holohan and his knock-off Conor McGregor act into the waste bin where he belongs.

Yet Leo can claim that the civil service is “too white” with fcuk all blowback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Paddy 'The Hooligan' Hooloahan. Lovely chap i'd say.

SF definitely have a candidate quality problem but every party is mainly dirtbags. Think of anyone you knew who went into politics.

SF are out on their own in this regard. They seem to actively pursue the rough, uncouth, aggressive and in your face type people..

Cyrus wrote: »

Is he the sort of voter they target? That's not what comes across when you hear their parliamentary party spokespersons.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yet Leo can claim that the civil service is “too white” with fcuk all blowback.
    Is he wrong?...nope

SF should have kicked him out.
    SF have some good people, but Christ they got some terrible TDs elected recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

walshb wrote: »
    SF are out on their own in this regard. They seem to actively pursue the rough, uncouth, aggressive and in your face type people..

And those type of characters seem attracted to SF.

Advertisement