Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddy Holohan reinstated to Sinn Féin.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

paw patrol wrote: »
    if you say so.

I laid out my point , I felt it was cutting but fair. If you think that's racist then so be it.
    Are you denying that a person can be Irish in a legal and civic sense but no feeling for Ireland? Similar to the west-brit jibe I heard when I was young
    Why is wrong to suggest this of Leo? Or only wrong cos of his heritage .? But that would be different strokes for different folks? is that not racist in itself?

yes. But not just me.
    He is ignorant on these matters which are important to a huge proportion of irish society.
    Lets take the Sean Russell thing (which i'll accept happened post holohan 's comments but the point remains) - he said

Its such an ignorant comment with no appreciation for the actual history of ireland and our struggle for independence.
    And secondly that he would seek to suggest we may remove a historical statue based on the whim of the twitter mob. That's lame.

But you need to elaborate more than just calling people racist. B
    Yes we are different from others. I'd rather live in Ireland than anywhere else and being Irish is the best. It really is. If that makes me racist , then so be it. You won't make me feel bad for it.

But I'm not sure how that is racist in the prejudice sense...of course you (and others) seem to cast a wide net that anything is racist these days. So I dunno.

I don;t vote shin fein if it means anything to you so your SF digs are wasted on me.

well he can't understand to the degree somebody with kids does.
    I've never met anybody who told you they understood having a family before their kids came along. It's just not possible.

I know what point you are trying to make. But it makes no sense - you are trying to suggest we are all things but we are not. It isn't possible to know something without experiencing it.

Let discuss another way - I have 1 close gay friend but I know sweet fa about being gay despite my few occasions to visit the George.

That's your point of view and I disagree with it but you're entitled to it.

But why is Holohan still in SF? They don't agree with any of the stuff he came out with. He is in the wrong party.

I doubt any party would accept him giving the bizarre stuff he came out with about underage girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

That's your point of view and I disagree with it but your entitled to it.

But why is Holohan still in SF? They don't agree with any of the stuff he came out with. He is in the wrong party.

I doubt any party would accept him giving the bizarre stuff he came out with about underage girls.

afaik there's been complaints within SF of his reinstatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

How many indigenous companies would have been successful without access to the EU markets and low corpo tax?

Or free trade deals outside the EU?

3009329?width=700&version=3009329

how many will stay when the 'corpo' tax elsewhere in eurpoe is cheaper? How many american companies will stay if Trump has his way? Where will we be then?

its grand to think short term - which is 'low corporation tax is brilliant' thinking is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

the RIC debacle and now more recently the pandering to the twitter mob over the statue in Fairview of Sean Russell. I don't know if leo is just a gob****e or he just doesn't feel our culture and history. Maybe he is just a west brit or being a career politican since very young has erased any passion from him.

in short, Hoolhan has a point on leo.
    He shouldn't have backed down.

Varadkar's complete lack or empathy and detachment from the average person is his character. It has nothing to do with his ethnicity or his families for that matter. That's where Holohan was dead wrong and ignorant IMO.

maccored wrote: »
    how many will stay when the 'corpo' tax elsewhere in eurpoe is cheaper? How many american companies will stay if Trump has his way? Where will we be then?

its grand to think short term - which is 'low corporation tax is brilliant' thinking is.

Short term for the last 40 years?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Bowie wrote: »
    Varadkar's complete lack or empathy and detachment from the average person is his character.

Have you ever met Leo ?

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Have you ever met Leo ?

I'm talking about his politics, his public appearances and interviews. Don't need to meet him. Are you suggesting his politics are a facade? If you disagree that's okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Varadkar's complete lack or empathy and detachment from the average person is his character. It has nothing to do with his ethnicity or his families for that matter. That's where Holohan was dead wrong and ignorant IMO.

I don't know his character I can only judge what I see.

I couldn't imagine any taoiseach pre-varadkar make such statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think this is OTT

At times he can come across a little like this, but to describe it like you are is way OTT....He's not fooking Mary Poppins, but he's not Hitler either.

I'd says he's just your average man in this regard.

I like his kind of starlight talking at times....

He can be immature, and can lash out at times as well.....

walshb wrote: »
    I think this is OTT

At times he can come across a little like this, but to describe it like you are is way OTT....He's not fooking Mary Poppins, but he's not Hitler either.

I'd says he's just your average man in this regard.

I like his kind of starlight talking at times....

He can be immature, and can lash out at times as well.....

He doesn't give two f***s about the general public IMO. That's all I'm saying.
    Edit: he was a piss poor minister in every post he held.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

I don't know his character I can only judge what I see.

I couldn't imagine any taoiseach pre-varadkar make such statements.
    Couldn't imagine any previous taoiseach swilling beer in the park either, FFS no decorum Leo

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I'm talking about his politics, his public appearances and interviews. Don't need to meet him. Are you suggesting his politics are a facade? If you disagree that's okay.

I have never met Leo Varadkar.

However, I know members of his family, I know many people in Blanchardstown who have met him or have had dealings with him. Without exception, they speak of his decency, his empathy, his understanding of people.

I have met many other politicians. Around Dublin 15, I have met Joan Burton, Roderic O'Gorman, Ruth Coppinger, Paul Donnelly, Jack Chambers, and many councillors and previous TDs, including Brian Lenihan. Varadkar is an exception in that I haven't met him. Through other avenues over the years, mostly through work and other activities, I met Richard Bruton, Simon Coveney, Neil Blaney, Albert Reynolds, Gerry Adams, C.J. Haughey, Ray Burke, David Norris, Mary Harney, Dick Spring, and many more.

Of them all, over the years, I would guess over 100 politicians from all shades, Chambers, who to be fair I only met for about five minutes, was one of two who possibly lacked empathy, but he may have been distracted. It was also recent so it may stick in my memory a bit more, and probably requires a second judgement. Adams was the other, no second judgement required, he definitely lacked empathy, to the extent that I was deeply disturbed by his personality and distinct lack of empathy. It was one of the most memorable meetings with a politician for all the wrong reasons. All of the rest had charm at the very least, even those with whom I vehemently disagree or disagreed. If they lacked empathy, it was well disguised. There are a few others who I suspect lack empathy (you generally find that it is ideologues who lack the empathy), but I haven't met them so wouldn't comment.

Some of them implemented policies that were lacking in empathy, some of them were devious crooks and criminals, but they themselves weren't lacking in empathy. It just isn't possible to get that far in politics without displaying some kind of empathy. Adams came to politics late, when his name and character were known, proving to be the exception that proves the rule.

Your posts clearly display a strange fascination with the character of Varadkar (we don't need to go over the details of that weird fascination) that have also shown hints of the same low-level homophobia and racism that Holohan comes up with. However, projecting your paranoid vision of Varadkar into a conclusion that he lacks empathy is a jump in logic that isn't backed up by any evidence at all. You just need to look at the photo of him having a can with his friends in the park to realise that he has some kind of empathy.

the RIC debacle and now more recently the pandering to the twitter mob over the statue in Fairview of Sean Russell. I don't know if leo is just a gob****e or he just doesn't feel our culture and history. Maybe he is just a west brit or being a career politican since very young has erased any passion from him.

SF friends Antifa and the far left want it gone.

The far left have been attacking the statue for decades.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/jewish-group-says-beheaded-nazi-statue-should-be-left-as-symbol-of-irish-shame-26003822.html
    His statue in Fairview Park was recently left headless and responsibility was claimed by an anti-fascist group.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

blanch152 wrote: »

Adams was the other, no second judgement required, he definitely lacked empathy, to the extent that I was deeply disturbed by his personality and distinct lack of empathy. It was one of the most memorable meetings with a politician for all the wrong reasons.

Even hardcore SF supporters say that about Adams when they meet him. There's something very 'off' about him. Lacking in what might be described as humanity.

I have never met Leo Varadkar...........

Your posts clearly display a strange fascination with the character of Varadkar (we don't need to go over the details of that weird fascination that have also shown hints of the same low-level homophobia and racism that Holohan comes up with. However, projecting your paranoid vision of Varadkar into a conclusion that he lacks empathy is a jump in logic that isn't backed up by any evidence at all. You just need to look at the photo of him having a can with his friends in the park to realise that he has some kind of empathy.

I waded through your post and got to the inevitable personal attack.
    You consistently misrepresent my comments to push this well worn falsehood.
    I speak on things the former political leader of the country has said and implemented.
    You infer slurs and cast insults.
    I never once mentioned his being in the park. I have criticised his policies and his tasteless quoting mean girls and lord of the rings in speeches addressing the nation regarding covid 19. You have inferred I was homophobic and called me a racist with zero quotes to back it up.
    That's pretty obsessive considering.

I waded through your post and got to the inevitable personal attack.
    You consistently misrepresent my comments to push this well worn falsehood.
    I speak on things the former political leader of the country has said and implemented.
    You infer slurs and cast insults.
    I never once mentioned his being in the park. I have criticised his policies and his tasteless quoting mean girls and lord of the rings in speeches addressing the nation regarding covid 19. You have inferred I was homophobic and called me a racist with zero quotes to back it up.
    That's pretty obsessive considering.

Comments on the content of your posts are not personal attacks, they are comments on the content of your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I said Ireland has never elected a far right MEP which is true. No Irish MEP has joined a far right group in the Parliament.

The right of centre MEPs we have elected were all pro free trade.

SF PBP Sol(Obviously PBP sol don't currently have an MEP) and their grouping in the European parliament were opposed to free trade with Japan.

What free markets do we have?

Comments on the content of your posts are not personal attacks, they are comments on the content of your posts.

So please provide my content that justifies your insults?
    I pass comment on the now former political leader of the country based on his policies and things he said. You make stuff up about me in his defense.

This is a thread for you to spew faux outrage on Holohan and look at your comments. All about me. And I'm obsessed? Do you think I'm Michael D. Higgins, Eamon O'Cuiv or Marty Whelan?

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes, I know what you’re saying. And it’s utter crap..

He’s a person, a man, a doctor and a politician who has been serving the public years now...and you come out with this nonsense..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Woke Hogan wrote: »

That being said I find it very difficult to take Sinn Féin seriously when they reinstate Paddy Holohan into their ranks only a few months after his disgusting homophobic and racist comments about Leo Varadkar. Allow me to refresh your memory about the remarks in question:

These comments are completely unacceptable from any politician representing a mainstream party trying to maintain a respectable image. The idea that Sinn Féin would take Paddy Holohan after he made these disgusting remarks totally illegitimises their party in my view. They should have thrown Holohan and his knock-off Conor McGregor act into the waste bin where he belongs.

He should have been fucked out on his ear and never been let back in.

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    What free markets do we have?

Access to all the countries in the EU and EEA.
    Plus another 50.
    https://fullfact.org/europe/how-many-free-trade-deals-has-eu-done/

We wouldn't have got this access without joining the EU.

So please provide my content that justifies your insults?
    I pass comment on the now former political leader of the country based on his policies and things he said. You make stuff up about me in his defense.

This is a thread for you to spew faux outrage on Holohan and look at your comments. All about me. And I'm obsessed? Do you think I'm Michael D. Higgins, Eamon O'Cuiv or Marty Whelan?

I am not falling for your attempt to draw me into personal exchanges.

However, you are correct, this is a thread about Holohan, and to go back to the content of posts, it isn't a thread about Varadkar's lack of empathy.

I am not falling for your attempt to draw me into personal exchanges.

However, you are correct, this is a thread about Holohan, and to go back to the content of posts, it isn't a thread about Varadkar's lack of empathy.

It's a one sided personal attack Blanch.
    So you'll slink away offering no justification for your obsessive claims only to bring them up again at a later date.
    Speaking of obsessive, Varadkar accepted Holohan's apology of what you call low level racism. So why pretend it still outrages you at all at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

So now we're comparing Leo Varadker, a qualified doctor and man who overcame homophobia and rascim to lead this country from bankruptcy to complete recovery before the age of 40 to a skanger who couldn't even manage to reach the standards of behaviour demanded by Sinn Fein.

Truthvader wrote: »
    So now we're comparing Leo Varadker, a qualified doctor and man who overcame homophobia and rascim to lead this country from bankruptcy to complete recovery before the age of 40 to a skanger who couldn't even manage to reach the standards of behaviour demanded by Sinn Fein.

Nobody except you.
    That's some fairytale. Did he mend shoes as people slept too?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Its his culture and his history as well you racist scumbag.

Nobody except you.
    That's some fairytale. Did he mend shoes as people slept too?

Nope thats all true. If only the Sinn Fein IRA mob had mended a few shoes while people slept instead of what they did with their evenings

Mary Lou and her SF buddies couldnt give two ****s about anybody. That much is clear after today. Couldn't give two ****s that they broke the rules and will result in the spread of C19.

Even hardcore SF supporters say that about Adams when they meet him. There's something very 'off' about him. Lacking in what might be described as humanity.

It’s very curious isn’t it. When you read his blog posts, you get this sudden chill. There is something just wrong with Adams.

• Advertisement

Mary Lou and her SF buddies couldnt give two ****s about anybody. That much is clear after today. Couldn't give two ****s that they broke the rules and will result in the spread of C19.

"After today?" Are you just visiting from a galaxy far far away? What do you think they have been doing for the last 50 years

Advertisement