Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddy Holohan reinstated to Sinn Féin.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Problem with Paddy Holohan is he is too bitter. Too anti-everything and creating a simplistic us versus them narrative.

The guy has obviously done fairly well to get to where he is today but needs to be careful as his unmeasured and ill thought out arguments could be his downfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Problem with Paddy Holohan is he is too bitter. Too anti-everything and creating a simplistic us versus them narrative.

The guy has obviously done fairly well to get to where he is today but needs to be careful as his unmeasured and ill thought out arguments could be his downfall.

His main problem is he's as thick as two short planks, and likes to think of himself as some sort of creature from Irish mythology; the pure Celtic warrior almost exploding with nationalistic pride as he gives it socks to 'the elite' in positions of power and influence.

It's not like former combat sports star cannot have a career in local politics - Kenny Egan is also a member of South Dublin County Council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Truthvader wrote: »
    Nope thats all true. If only the Sinn Fein IRA mob had mended a few shoes while people slept instead of what they did with their evenings

I imagine the IRA were too busy killing and blowing stuff up.

Your profile of Varadkar is very humourous. Reads like my brother Sylvest (strong man).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Access to all the countries in the EU and EEA.
    Plus another 50.
    https://fullfact.org/europe/how-many-free-trade-deals-has-eu-done/

We wouldn't have got this access without joining the EU.

Access to regulated markets that are protectionist means those markets are not free.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Its his culture and his history as well you racist scumbag.

How is this post still here since last night?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

"SINN FÉIN HAS said that it is suspending all party activity and structures within Dublin South-West following the controversy that surrounded the nomination of Paddy Holohan for mayor of South Dublin County Council.

This means there’ll be no meetings of any section of the party in the area until further notice i.e. Cumann, Comhairle Ceantair or Council Group, pending a full review of the area."

https://www.thejournal.ie/paddy-holohan-sinn-fein-2-5143173-Jul2020/

I thought it was odd that the local members would get away with giving the finger to the party authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

there'll be some excellent squirming now

you love to see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Is there anything to be said for a world without polithicks?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    "SINN FÉIN HAS said that it is suspending all party activity and structures within Dublin South-West following the controversy that surrounded the nomination of Paddy Holohan for mayor of South Dublin County Council.

This means there’ll be no meetings of any section of the party in the area until further notice i.e. Cumann, Comhairle Ceantair or Council Group, pending a full review of the area."

https://www.thejournal.ie/paddy-holohan-sinn-fein-2-5143173-Jul2020/

I thought it was odd that the local members would get away with giving the finger to the party authorities.
    Sinn Fein. The party that keeps giving.
    I'm sure things will roll along grand without the input of the intelligentsia of the Dublin South West
    Comhairle Ceanntar

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I wonder will anybody be walking with a limp once this is all sorted out. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

no matter how Mary-Lou paints SF as a modern party , they still have a hard-on for regular communist style purges.
    Anybody voting for them should take note of this behaviour - this is knacker behaviour.

In recent years the purges have been ramped up - Ballymun and Cork have had some mass forced leavings/evictions/bullying. Not to mention the effective expulsion (expulsion by another name) of Peader Tobin and Carol Nolan .

I hope Paddy does a solo run

paw patrol wrote: »
    no matter how Mary-Lou paints SF as a modern party , they still have a hard-on for regular communist style purges.
    Anybody voting for them should take note of this behaviour - this is knacker behaviour.

In recent years the purges have been ramped up - Ballymun and Cork have had some mass forced leavings/evictions/bullying. Not to mention the effective expulsion (expulsion by another name) of Peader Tobin and Carol Nolan .

I hope Paddy does a solo run

They're kind of damned if they are, damned if they don't though.
    Last week: "SF lets Paddy run for Mayor, boo hiss".
    This week: "SF takes steps against local organization that let Paddy run for Mayor, boo hiss".

Personally I think they have a quality control problem with their candidates, largely as a result of their growth.

They're kind of damned if they are, damned if they don't though.
    Last week: "SF lets Paddy run for Mayor, boo hiss".
    This week: "SF takes steps against local organization that let Paddy run for Mayor, boo hiss".

i don't disagree, but who are they trying to please? Twitter? the Indo?

SF have seen off a lot worse than paddy's comments.
    It reflects badly on them as a modern party with constant allegations of bullying and regular purges. They can't shake off the smell of gutter/street politics no matter how they try

Personally I think they have a quality control problem with their candidates, largely as a result of their growth.

fully agree! they've let a few v eager lunatics get elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Its unclear reading these posts if SF are being ridiculed for suspending someone or for reinstating someone. Ye's may have an oul chat and sing off the same hymn sheet

It reflects badly on them as a modern party with constant allegations of bullying and regular purges. They can't shake off the smell of gutter/street politics no matter how they try

What makes you think they're trying to please anyone in particular, or why 'They can't shake off the smell of gutter/street politics no matter how they try'.

They're running a political party, and going by the sheer fear from the likes of FF/FG and their supporters, and the fact they've gained 30 odd TDs in the 4 or 5 elections over the past 20 years odd, it looks like they're doing that quite fine without looking for anyones approval.

maccored wrote: »
    it looks like they're doing that quite fine without looking for anyones approval.

all those new shiny seats in the Dail and still shouting worthlessly from the sidelines :pac:

They've all got their eejits. I'd argue that SF ones stand out more because they tend to recruit from a class with less savoir faire in couching their dodgy carry-on in more acceptably middle-class terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

all those new shiny seats in the Dail and still shouting worthlessly from the sidelines :pac:

the main opposition party. Exactly where they need to be at the minute. Did that whoosh as it went over your head?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Funny a while back you were in full support of Hoolohans views...now he's a lunatic.
    By the way who selected/elected these lunatics in the first place?
    Problem for SF is that a large part of their base don't believe most of the official party line on many social issues...and among themselves fully support the views of said lunatics...makes redundant all that victimized holier than thou bluster their apparatchiks endlessy drone on about

maccored wrote: »
    the main opposition party. Exactly where they need to be at the minute. Did that whoosh as it went over your head?

It did go whoosh to be honest...you know why? cos i was listening to mary lou bleating about missing out on government it did appear that is where they want to be ....
    But i suspect not, easier to rant from the sidelines and wheel out Pearse Doherty when you need a coherent point to be made.
    southstar wrote: »
    Funny a while back you were in full support of Hoolohans views...now he's a lunatic.
    By the way who selected/elected these lunatics in the first place?
    Problem for SF is that a large part of their base don't believe most of the official party line on many social issues...and among themselves fully support the views of said lunatics...makes redundant all that victimized holier than thou bluster their apparatchiks endlessy drone on about

I agreed with one statement Holohan made and was pretty explicit on discussing his statement in isolation.

I wasn't talking about holohan per se- the one from clare with the debts comes to mind and the one who went on hols during the campaign .

Advertisement