Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric bike

Options
  • 27-06-2020 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭

Hi all. My better half has spent 25 years cycling in and out of town (Dublin) to school, college and work.

She is now considering an electric bike, but has no secure place to park it. If left around Dawson street, I presume it would only be a question of time before it would be stolen.

The plan would be to get a good lock and remove the battery.

Am I right in thinking it will almost certainly be stolen, or are electric bikes with no battery less appealing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Hi all. My better half has spent 25 years cycling in and out of town (Dublin) to school, college and work.

She is now considering an electric bike, but has no secure place to park it. If left around Dawson street, I presume it would only be a question of time before it would be stolen.

Am I right in thinking it will almost certainly be stolen, or are electric bikes with no battery less appealing?

Will be robbed. Get a fold up electric bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Drury St. Car Park have a free bike park at the back of the entrance. I always use it when I'm in that part of town. Also, the car park beside the Lighthouse Cinema has bike parking too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A €60 bike lock is pretty good. A €100 bike lock is pretty great. A €200 bike lock is no better than the €100 one. Security doesnt scale for high value bikes.

I'd have some level of concern leaving an €800 bike anywhere in town. No hope in hell I'd leave a €2000+ bike of any kind on street, properly secured bike cage only with strict fob access.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Can she get it insured and put a really good lock on it ?
    I got quoted roughly €220 for a bike worth €2250.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭cletus

byrnem31 wrote: »
    Can she get it insured and put a really good lock on it ?
    I got quoted roughly €220 for a bike worth €2250.

What are the requirements re. storage for the insurance?

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    What are the requirements re. storage for the insurance?

You need to look at the details as set out by the insurer as some have different conditions.
    If I was leaving mine in the city, I would have got it insured. It's well locked up at night, it's day time that's the issue. I don't know what to do myself. Someone had a go at mine already by the looks of it despite my job letting me bring it into an unused part of the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Electric bikes typically need a key to lock in the battery. Does this not make it a pain for thieves to sell on the bike minus battery, key, charger and console?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Electric bikes typically need a key to lock in the battery. Does this not make it a pain for thieves to sell on the bike minus battery, key, charger and console?

Thieves are generally stupid. They steal out of habit and because they can. Not always because it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭con747

Do not forget the vandals who will do damage just for the sake of it. How many bikes do you see with wheels buckled or forks bent or numerous other damages. Not saying it's going to happen where it will be locked up but it does happen.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Thieves are going around using portable angle grinders these days, in broad daylight. No bike lock in the world stands up against that. Not an option leaving expensive bike on street, sadly. If they can't sell bike on whole cos of battery lock. they can still strip and sell for parts.

• Advertisement

You can get an electric brompton or similar. Put it under the desk, or in a cupboard at work.

beauf wrote: »
    You can get an electric brompton or similar. Put it under the desk, or in a cupboard at work.

I asked senior management in my job could I leave my bike at my desk, no problem they said. Went out and bought a bike for €2250. Literally a week later a covid health and safety inspector came in and told me to get it out of the office. I work in the public sector so we have to do everything the covid people tell us.

I had the same issue. Doing it for about two years before someone made an issue of it. Wasn't allowed to carry it through reception. So I changed my route into the office so no one could see me bringing it in. Now come in through the car park.

Buy a bag and hide it somewhere in the office.

We've a bike cage in our underground car park. But they cheaped out it, so its easily broken into. Some people think it's safer not using it and park on the street outside instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

The number of people who have an issue with the Brompton under my desk is astonishing. Usually the same types who complain that it took them an hour to drive 5km into work.

Amazingly I am also many of these people's manager and the fact that they have time to worry about this is something I subconsciously take into account at review time.

A bag is a good option though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I work in public service and there's a good few of us with bromptons and there's no issue

Its not a public service issue. Its a local management issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thanks for all the input. So a brompton e bike seems like a good solution. Will have to google around and see what is out there, at what price etc.

Is something like this worth looking at: https://www.ancheer.shop/collections/electric-bike/products/ancheer-18-7-inch-wheel-aluminum-alloy-frame-folding-mountain-bike-cycling-bicycle-white

Seems a good bit cheaper than Brompton, needed for daily 6km each way commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've never tried the Brompton e-bike, it is relatively new, but I would imagine folding something like the bike you linked could be difficult / impractical / heavy. It probably depends on how far you will need to take it and why you are folding it. If taking it on a train from time to time, a Brompton would be infinitely better. If you just need to wheel it past the reception in your office, you might get away with something like this.

If I were going for this type, I'd look in Decathlon as they have something similar but would be better for warranty & servicing etc.

If I was buying a bike because I really wanted to use the fold, I'd spend the extra on a Brompton (speaking as a Brompton owner but I've also had a Dahon). They are expensive but they last, they are nice to ride, and they do hold their value in case you ever wanted to sell it on or you decide it isn't for you.

I've a couple of dahon's. They are fine. But don't fold as small as the Brompton, for under a desk or in a press etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭homer911

Exactly what happened to me about 3 years ago. eBike left in a locked shed but not otherwise secured. Thankfully once they realised what a nightmare it was to ride they quickly abandoned it nearby in some bushes. I priced the controller at about €90 and a battery @ €550 at the time..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Nice to see the limit increased via the bike 2 work scheme to €1500 for an e bike (€1250 for a normal bike up from a grand).

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/cycling/cycle_to_work_scheme.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Nice to see the limit increased via the bike 2 work scheme to €1500 for an e bike (€1250 for a normal bike up from a grand).

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/cycling/cycle_to_work_scheme.html

I haven't looked too hard, but can you even get an e-bike for €1500 ?

I haven't looked too hard, but can you even get an e-bike for €1500 ?

Some here

https://www.halfords.ie/bikes/electric-bikes/

Think you can spend more but you only get the €1500 via the scheme, you pay the balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Looking at the Raleigh Evo Electric Folding Bike 20" Wheel on the cycle to work scheme. Eurocycles has it a bit cheaper than Halfords. Anyone here used one?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

my company used bike2work.ie to administer the cycle scheme. unfortunately B2W dont partner with halfords, eurocycles, decathlon or specialized! very very annoying!!

Jonesy101 wrote: »
    my company used bike2work.ie to administer the cycle scheme. unfortunately B2W dont partner with halfords, eurocycles, decathlon or specialized! very very annoying!!

Err that doesn't leave you many options, who can you go with?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ED E wrote: »

Thanks, looking again at an electric bike. Work use travel hub for travel tickets so assume they use for the bike to work scheme.

If so, thats a real kick in the nuts that Halfords are not a partner.

Advertisement