Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graham Linehan banned from twitter for questioning "trans ideology"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭joeguevara

dd973 wrote: »
    Never really liked Linehan that much but don't know why he'd want to preoccupy himself with Trans people or LGBT politics, how does any of that stuff impinge on his life?

When he was a priest he was made dress up as Mother Teresa for a stars in there eyes competition. He says it was inherently wrong which was compounded with the comments ‘there is only one mother Teresa and that’s you’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

donaghs wrote: »
    He's certainly seems far too old to be getting into petty internet arguments. But are you saying he should be banned for having a "protracted, public nervous breakdown being played out on social media"???

No, I'm saying I'm glad he's been banned because it means he can have the breakdown in private now. He was banned for his abusive behaviour.
    Ah now, this is a tad economical with the truth. She posted a tweet urging people to report his account. He responded to that. She posted it publicly, she can hardly complain about him responding.

She posted a link to a petition calling for him to be removed from Twitter for 'spending every day of his life harassing trans people online' (an accurate summation of what he's been doing with his life since at least 2018). He responded by bizarrely asking his followers to report her tweet for 'targeted harassment' and asking his 'trans friends' to respond to her on his behalf.

He's done the exact same thing to loads of other people over the years (people who, unlike Nicola Coughlan, don't have a hundred thousand followers of their own to fall back on).

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Stark wrote: »
    People who differ to the norm deserve the same rights and respect as people who are "normal" as long as their differences are not doing harm to other people, simple as. No need to dig out the biology textbooks to try and justify it.

Rights and respect are two very different things.
    The state enforces certain rights, employment etc

Respect?
    That's thought police territory.

We have religious equality.
    Does that mean I must "respect" Scientology?
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Is there any consensus on why he got so obsessed with this stuff?

His account is a mess for a long time now, such anger and hate. Can't be good for you.

Ah we are all going to heaven lads Wahey.

• Advertisement

Start with people like Alex Jones who are clearly horrible and then you have set the stage for controlling global discourse and opinion. It's absurd that a private company wields so much power and is cheered on.

Then they'll tell you to go use a different site if you don't like it. And they try and succeed in getting those sites shut down as well.

"Oh no how is boards getting so rightwing. Oh no why are People voting in the right."

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Is there any consensus on why he got so obsessed with this stuff?

His account is a mess for a long time now, such anger and hate. Can't be good for you.

Some say his 'interest' in the topic started after he received a very small amount of (perhaps not entirely deserved) criticism for this depiction of transphobia in the IT Crowd:

Although I'm fairly sure he subsequently acknowledged that there could have been better ways of handling that episode.

Although he was also criticised for an episode where Roy pretended to be disabled so he could use a wheelchair accessible toilet. And he didn't respond by launching into a lengthy campaign against people with disabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Some say his 'interest' in the topic started after he received a very small amount of (perhaps not entirely deserved) criticism for this depiction of transphobia in the IT Crowd: .

Well for some, certain trans demands are just a step too far. It's probably the line in the sand against the woke crowd.

Maybe he should do a spin off comedy called "The Woke Crowd".

Could have an episode where they fight for equality for a blind man to become a pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Start with people like Alex Jones who are clearly horrible and then you have set the stage for controlling global discourse and opinion. It's absurd that a private company wields so much power and is cheered on.

Then they'll tell you to go use a different site if you don't like it. And they try and succeed in getting those sites shut down as well.

"Oh no how is boards getting so rightwing. Oh no why are People voting in the right."

Alex Jones is an idiot who shouldn't be relied upon for any substantive information. Infowars was removed from YouTube because it peddled incorrect and damaging information relating to Sandy Hook. He's so uninformed on the truth that you wonder if it's just an act (more than likely).

I don't quite know what you're positing for a solution. Twitter is a private company, and as such they have no obligation to keep fools like Graham Linehan on their site. I feel that the downfall of Milo Yiannopoulos shows that de-platforming works. Hopefully it will keep Glinner out of the spotlight until he comes to terms with some of the more hurtful parts of his tweets and general thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Some say his 'interest' in the topic started after he received a very small amount of (perhaps not entirely deserved) criticism for this depiction of transphobia in the IT Crowd:

The joke in The IT Crowd is at Douglas Reynholm's expense. Not the character that Lucy Montgomery plays.

Don't understand why people can't get that. :confused:

In fact, EVERYTHING to do with Douglas Reynholm is at his expense. He's exclusively the butt of humour. Can't recall a single episode where you're supposed to side with him.

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    The joke in The IT Crowd is at Douglas Reynholm's expense. Not the character that Lucy Montgomery plays.

Don't understand why people can't get that. :confused:

In fact, EVERYTHING to do with Douglas Reynholm is at his expense. He's exclusively the butt of humour. Can't recall a single episode where you're supposed to side with him.

I think the scene might have been better, had he not 'won' the fight and thrown her through a window at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

joeguevara wrote: »
    Firstly, the gender is a lie is exactly what Rowling posted. In essence a man can never change into a woman or vice versa.
    Humans are not hermaprodites. It is a biological fact that a man can never change into a woman or vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

https://twitter.com/amrourk/status/1276988549062066177?s=19

Interesting thread on Twitter in that it conveys the inconsistency on Twitter re banning. Bright can still use his account, well presumably he could if he was not in jail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Katie Hopkins, 45, has been permanently banned by Twitter for breaching its rules on abuse and hateful conduct.

I'm genuinely stunned.

Looking at her face, I thought she was 65.

Your hypocrisy made me laugh there.

The issue of children receiving transgender transitions including hormones is extremely troubling. A huge number of staff resigned from Tavistock due to concerns the clinic is engaging in over-diagnosis and unethical practices. This is all fly-by-night stuff, a branch of medicine that is essentially being made up as they go along. Children are being experimented on. Autistic children are being given puberty blockers after 1 consultation. Little or no follow-ups. An enormous unexplained explosion in the numbers of children being diagnosed with dysphoria and no attempt to understand it or put the brakes on.

There is widespread child abuse going on, kids irreparably harmed. But if you say anything you're a bigot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Ha no way. I love that episode. What a show!

It's just so odd that he dislikes trans people so much, every minute of the day going by his Twitter :) it'll probably be like coming out of a coma for him. A global pandemic??

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

didnt a group turn up at his wife's workplace at some stage?
    No idea, but if they did, I hope they offered her sanctuary.
    The issue of children receiving transgender transitions including hormones is extremely troubling. A huge number of staff resigned from Tavistock due to concerns the clinic is engaging in over-diagnosis and unethical practices. This is all fly-by-night stuff, a branch of medicine that is essentially being made up as they go along. Children are being experimented on. Autistic children are being given puberty blockers after 1 consultation. Little or no follow-ups. An enormous unexplained explosion in the numbers of children being diagnosed with dysphoria and no attempt to understand it or put the brakes on.

There is widespread child abuse going on, kids irreparably harmed. But if you say anything you're a bigot.
    Gatling wrote: »
    Nothing had being twisted - see exactly what I was saying

Vulnerable children need to be protected not medicated under some quakery experiments ,
    Gruffalox wrote: »
    Not according to Tavistock medical personnel. Some have written of overhearing people in corridors prompting and preparing children as to what language they must use in order to secure hormones. Official reports have said children have received same after only one appointment. And you are one of the people who has adopted a very laissez faire approach to this area which will scandalise future people - just for the record.

People being overheard in corridors? Wow, you couldn't ask for better evidence than that, could you? :rolleyes:

Anyone who is concerned about medical practices at Tavistock or elsewhere can submit a complaint to the GMC for independent review.

https://www.gmc-uk.org/concerns/raise-a-concern-about-a-doctor

But it's fascinating to see how many posters are suddenly medical experts in this one particular very narrow niche area, and not, just for example, the kind of stuff that goes on in cosmetic surgery clinics all over the country. What is the obsession with genitals all about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

But it's fascinating to see how many posters are suddenly medical experts in this one particular very narrow niche area, and not, just for example, the kind of stuff that goes on in cosmetic surgery clinics all over the country. What is the obsession with genitals all about?

Here's one that is right up your street Andrew, since concern for genitals must be fascist.
    A recent Bill in Wyoming USA banning Female Genital Mutilation came under intense pressure before thankfully it was passed. The pressure came from trans activists who saw it as a draconian limits on trans gender people. The absolute disgrace of it.
    US — Wyoming. Transgender activists are protesting a bill that would criminalize the performance of female genital mutilation on a minor in Wyoming as an act of aggravated assault and battery. Tara Muir, Policy Director of the Wyoming Coalition Against Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault (WCADVSA), has slammed the legislation as having the potential to place “draconian limits on transgender people.” /

Another related point is on Hibo Wardere, an absolutely amazing woman from Somalia, who had level 3 FGM at 6 years old (92% of females in Somalia have some degree of FGM )a procedure that caused every drop of urine that passed from her body to cause agonising pain. She is an educator on the matter of FGM living in the UK now. Recently she has had to publicly ask trans activists to back off attacking her because they say ''Female'' in fgm is transphobic. I sh1t you not! There have been protests outside places where she gives talks by these morons. Other women who have been brutalised by FGM have also been attacked by TRAs. As long as this type of cretinism goes on I will keep myself very well informed and up to date on the whole topic, perhaps to your discomfort, but try and stop me.

https://twitter.com/hibowardere/status/1269999207030669313?s=21

https://twitter.com/RadfemJana/status/1269389904175419392

I have never heard of anyone being called a bigot for questioning and challenging medical experimentation and unethical practices on minor or people with disabilities. If it happens it should be shown up for the pure reprehensible behaviour that it is and if appropriate use all necessary means to stop it.

There are a lot of people who keep their thoughts on this topic to themselves because they fear for their jobs and even their safety if their identity is uncovered. I’ve received a good fews PMs from people telling me they are afraid to say anything about it. And this is totally mad but I’ve had people express admiration for me for being fairly outspoken on this topic here on boards.ie. I just think I’m talking sense but I’m partial, I guess. And I have no job to lose, so come at me, bitches.

There are a lot of people who keep their thoughts on lots of topics to themselves, for a whole range of reasons. Free speech is a privilege, and not everyone has that privilege, perhaps because of family reasons, or employment contract reasons, or commercial reasons.

There's nothing unique about this issue.
    Rodin wrote: »
    Im talking about the trying to convince children they're a different gender and advocating puberty blockers.

Prescribing puberty blockers for transgenderism should be illegal worldwide in my opinion.

You're welcome to your opinion of course, but unless you are an endocrinologist, it really counts for diddly-squat.

And tell us more about these people who convince their children please?
    Hahahahahahahaha. No. “Fully reversible” has been trotted out so much. I’ve seen it stated in mainstream articles. On Twitter. It’s all gone a bit quiet on that front lately but it is an outright lie to say that all transgender groups were honest about the lack of evidence re: the reversibility of puberty blockers. Even the NHS claimed that they were reversible until VERY recently. The Mayo Clinic still claims that there are no permanent changes in the child’s body. Look it up. As of this evening, they still claim that, despite the NHS admitting that there is no evidence to say that they don’t cause long-term damage.

Again, nothing unusual about medics having different views in different countries about emerging issues like this. That's why each country has their medical approval and drug approval processes.
    sweet_trip wrote: »
    He most likely does.

Considering he's an internet addict.

Sure the first thing he did when he got banned was go to mumsnet (LOL) to look for sympathy and was promptly told to go away.

Sad sad man.
    Or more specifically, he got told to go away because it was a woman-only space, hilariously enough.
    Well for some, certain trans demands are just a step too far. It's probably the line in the sand against the woke crowd.
    Which demands are you referring to here?
    Gruffalox wrote: »
    Here's one that is right up your street Andrew, since concern for genitals must be fascist.
    A recent Bill in Wyoming USA banning Female Genital Mutilation came under intense pressure before thankfully it was passed. The pressure came from trans activists who saw it as a draconian limits on trans gender people. The absolute disgrace of it.

Another related point is on Hibo Wardere, an absolutely amazing woman from Somalia, who had level 3 FGM at 6 years old (92% of females in Somalia have some degree of FGM )a procedure that caused every drop of urine that passed from her body to cause agonising pain. She is an educator on the matter of FGM living in the UK now. Recently she has had to publicly ask trans activists to back off attacking her because they say ''Female'' in fgm is transphobic. I sh1t you not! There have been protests outside places where she gives talks by these morons. Other women who have been brutalised by FGM have also been attacked by TRAs. As long as this type of cretinism goes on I will keep myself very well informed and up to date on the whole topic, perhaps to your discomfort, but try and stop me.
    I find it fascinating how far people are willing to travel to find things to worry about, solely on this particular issue. We don't hear too much here on boards about concerns with other aspects of life in Wyoming, or Somalia, or Canada.

But on this particular issue, it's amazing to see the wide search to find problems to complain about.

Do you have any difficulties with how this issue works in Ireland?

• Advertisement

KiKi III wrote: »
    Twitter openly admits Trump breaks their rules. But they feel that as leader of the USA, they can’t ban him. So they’re fact-checking his tweets instead.

Perhaps they should fact check trans people claiming to be the opposite sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

KiKi III wrote: »
    If you stood up in a pub and started giving out about trans people every day, you’d probably get a few warnings from bar staff but soon enough you’d get barred.

This is the same principle.

Except its not. Nobody is forced to follow graham linehan on twitter, its more like being in a pub woth your mates and expressing a view and somebody overhears you so they contact the pub landlord (advertisers) and ask him to double the rent unless they ban you and your mates from the pub

Except its not. Nobody is forced to follow graham linehan on twitter, its more like being in a pub woth your mates and expressing a view and somebody overhears you so they contact the pub landlord (advertisers) and ask him to double the rent unless they ban you and your mates from the pub

It must be really tough to see that the tide is turning against you.

I’m a bit confused, why would advertisers ask for rent to be doubled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

The analogy makes no sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

I believe a man is a man and a woman is a woman, This cant be changed its science we can pretend but thats about it... but that aside trans people should allow do as they will in peace, but they shouldn't be allowed to force there views on to other people..

Cupatae wrote: »
    I believe a man is a man and a woman is a woman, This cant be changed its science we can pretend but thats about it... but that aside trans people should allow do as they will in peace, but they shouldn't be allowed to force there views on to other people..

In the scenario being discussed it was Linehan who spent all day every day for 2 years shoving his views unsolicited in to other people and engaged in harassment and stalking which resulted in his ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

In the scenario being discussed it was Linehan who spent all day every day for 2 years shoving his views unsolicited in to other people and engaged in harassment and stalking which resulted in his ban.

What's hilarious about this is that he's been doing the same thing for all his Twitter life, the only difference was that it was right wingers who he used to attack all the time. Now that it's a protected groups, there's outrage from the same types who probably once cheered him on.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

TomTomTim wrote: »
    What's hilarious about this is that he's been doing the same thing for all his Twitter life, the only difference was that it was right wingers who he used to attack all the time. Now that it's a protected groups, there's outrage from the same types who probably once cheered him on.

What’s hilarious about outrage from people who think it’s wrong to target protected groups? Should people give a person a pass for something that is considered hate speech because they attacked Nazis, mysoginists or racists in the past?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I suppose that part could be made clearer. The only reason twitter etc.. ban people like graham is theyre under pressure from advertisers (they need ad revenue to run the site)

Twitter couldnt give a fiddlers about what graham posts, but im sure some marketing exec in johnson and johnson etc... absolutely does.

Advertisement