Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graham Linehan banned from twitter for questioning "trans ideology"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

TomTomTim wrote: »
    What's hilarious about this is that he's been doing the same thing for all his Twitter life, the only difference was that it was right wingers who he used to attack all the time. Now that it's a protected groups, there's outrage from the same types who probably once cheered him on.

Yeah the trans thing divided people who used to generally agree on everything (repeal the 8th, same sex marriage etc) on my timeline anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

TomTomTim wrote: »
    What's hilarious about this is that he's been doing the same thing for all his Twitter life, the only difference was it was right wingers who he used to attack all the time. Now that it's a protected groups, there's outrage from the same types who probably once cheered him on.

Won't someone think of the poor Right wingers.

I think Lenihan had a point re children that are involved in sex change operations, that wasn't why he was barred though as I understand. Twitter though appear to be selective about who they ban, how come Trump isn't banned given all the shíte and bile he posts maybe it's because he's the US President and is good for Twitter business and publicity

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

The issue of children receiving transgender transitions including hormones is extremely troubling. A huge number of staff resigned from Tavistock due to concerns the clinic is engaging in over-diagnosis and unethical practices. This is all fly-by-night stuff, a branch of medicine that is essentially being made up as they go along. Children are being experimented on. Autistic children are being given puberty blockers after 1 consultation. Little or no follow-ups. An enormous unexplained explosion in the numbers of children being diagnosed with dysphoria and no attempt to understand it or put the brakes on.

There is widespread child abuse going on, kids irreparably harmed. But if you say anything you're a bigot.

Just wait till the legal cases start in 10/15 years time.

This is what happens when you give these degenerates an inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Here's one that is right up your street Andrew, since concern for genitals must be fascist.
    A recent Bill in Wyoming USA banning Female Genital Mutilation came under intense pressure before thankfully it was passed. The pressure came from trans activists who saw it as a draconian limits on trans gender people. The absolute disgrace of it.

Another related point is on Hibo Wardere, an absolutely amazing woman from Somalia, who had level 3 FGM at 6 years old (92% of females in Somalia have some degree of FGM )a procedure that caused every drop of urine that passed from her body to cause agonising pain. She is an educator on the matter of FGM living in the UK now. Recently she has had to publicly ask trans activists to back off attacking her because they say ''Female'' in fgm is transphobic. I sh1t you not! There have been protests outside places where she gives talks by these morons. Other women who have been brutalised by FGM have also been attacked by TRAs. As long as this type of cretinism goes on I will keep myself very well informed and up to date on the whole topic, perhaps to your discomfort, but try and stop me.

https://twitter.com/hibowardere/status/1269999207030669313?s=21

https://twitter.com/RadfemJana/status/1269389904175419392

It feels like misogyny. Biological men who want to override women's lived experiences and demand to be given special treatment and rights over biological women.
    If they loved and cared about biological women so much that they want to be a woman themselves, they would respect their rights. This comes across as them wanting control and attention and wanting to erase anything to do with biological females so they can essentially take over the female gender and claim it as their own.

That said, id imagine the majority of trans people are not this extreme and self entitled in their views.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I think Jonathan Pie can describe today's culture better than most...

Into the incinerator he must go!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

It must be really tough to see that the tide is turning against you.

The global tide is turning against self identification. Heres a article on the UK where the tories ( under pressure from feminist groups) have abandoned reform to the Gender Recognition Act that would have removed the need for psychiatric evaluation, living as the preferred gender etc. In short - self id.

Who knows if the Labour party will campaign on this, I doubt it. So it is probably dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

But it's fascinating to see how many posters are suddenly medical experts in this one particular very narrow niche area, and not, just for example, the kind of stuff that goes on in cosmetic surgery clinics all over the country. What is the obsession with genitals all about?

You don’t need to be a medical expert. In fact, certain other professions would have better knowledge of clinical trials and drug-testing. An understanding of those principles - not that rare or niche. Long before the NHS admitted that they could not say whether puberty blockers were causing damage, people with relevant qualifications in drug-testing, clinical trials and relevant branches of biology were highlighting the lack of ethics involved in prescribing these drugs to children.

And now the NHS is no longer claiming that they are reversible. Why did they claim that before when they now admit that they did not have the evidence to do so? This is the health service of the United Kingdom. How many families took assurance from that incorrect information?

It must be really tough to see that the tide is turning against you.

With the considerable support JK Rowling has received (despite the abuse she received from troglodytes, not one of her tweets on the topic was ratioed), both her publisher and agency standing by her, the broad support for females athletes taking legal action over their right to compete in sex-segregated leagues and the recent pledge from the UK government to uphold SEX-based rights, the tide may be turning but it’s difficult to say in whose favour, don’t you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

With the considerable support JK Rowling has received (despite the abuse she received from troglodytes, not one of her tweets on the topic was ratioed), both her publisher and agency standing by her, the broad support for females athletes taking legal action over their right to compete in sex-segregated leagues and the recent pledge from the UK government to uphold SEX-based rights, the tide may be turning but it’s difficult to say in whose favour, don’t you think?

They may get a pair of balls, or else you can forget about women's sports.

FVP3 wrote: »
    The global tide is turning against self identification. Heres a article on the UK where the tories ( under pressure from feminist groups) have abandoned reform to the Gender Recognition Act that would have removed the need for psychiatric evaluation, living as the preferred gender etc. In short - self id.

Who knows if the Labour party will campaign on this, I doubt it. So it is probably dead.

They probably will. They have glommed onto identity politics in a misguided attempt to win back voters. Why they think such a niche issue and showing such contempt for their female electorate will do it, I don’t know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The reality is that its a question of the Emperors New Clothes, once people start pointing out the obvious, the nonsense will crumble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

I think Jonathan Pie can describe today's culture better than most...

Into the incinerator he must go!!!

He spoke absolute truth and destroyed SJW's and there moronic ideology, sums up alot of whats going on these days perfectly and the breed that support it.

The worlds lost its mind, the fact that were tolerating this absolute bull****, the favorite past time these days is getting ur pitch fork ready and go looking for things to be offended by followed by a righteous crusades to get the virtue fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Cupatae wrote: »
    He spoke absolute truth and destroyed SJW's and there moronic ideology, sums up alot of whats going on these days perfectly and the breed that support it.

The worlds lost its mind, the fact that were tolerating this absolute bull****, the favorite past time these days is getting ur pitch fork ready and go looking for things to be offended by followed by a righteous crusades to get the virtue fix.

And then the right wingers get offended by the left wingers getting offended, but don’t see the irony...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭joeguevara

At the end of the day I believe most people here have made good points and progressive opinions, I am constantly conflicted on issues such as this and have come to the conclusion that even when an ideal is appropriate, how it’s implemented can be tarnished or sullied by part of the activists. I suppose my best example of this is as a 19 year old studying jurisprudence. I had to write a paper on feminism and the impacts of certain types of it. I couldn’t get my head around the belief of Catherine McKinnon that women are fundamentally not able to consent to intercourse because of their treatment by men makes them effectively brainwashed and submissive. To me that was the opposite of feminism and practically was mysoginy. I find some of the message from trans groups as damaging. But still agree with the protection of gender rights of transgender people. I try not to throw the baby out with the bath water.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Cupatae wrote: »

He was exaggerating, like you are. What Graham Lenihan said about children and trans gender being concerning I agree with. He didn't get thrown off Twitter for that though. Anyway with Twitter it depends on who's saying it, Trump can say what he likes because it's good publicity for Twitter. That has nothing to do with SJW's or the Left or Woke etc. with Trump being the antithesis of whatever that purports to be.

British politics has gone fúckin mad in recent years btw with Brexit and a clown like Johnson ending up as PM. That anti semitism thing with Labour in England as far as I can make out was the Right getting there revenge on this offended bus culture that you're moaning about. It's impossible these days for example for a politician to criticise Israel and their abhorrent behaviour in Palestine without being accused of being anti semitic and your career thrown in the incinerator as Jonathon Pie puts it.

So the Right are just as much at fault for the OTT abusing of identity politics but on here it's always the Left that's to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Large tech companies should not hold the keys to public discourse and it's shocking to me that people who regard themselves as being on the left don't seem to have any issue with this. Or women being perpetually sent rape and death threats when they have he temerity to speak up about their concerns regarding the removal of their right to sex based protections.

joeguevara wrote: »
    At the end of the day I believe most people here have made good points and progressive opinions, I am constantly conflicted on issues such as this and have come to the conclusion that even when an ideal is appropriate, how it’s implemented can be tarnished or sullied by part of the activists. I suppose my best example of this is as a 19 year old studying jurisprudence. I had to write a paper on feminism and the impacts of certain types of it. I couldn’t get my head around the belief of Catherine McKinnon that women are fundamentally not able to consent to intercourse because of their treatment by men makes them effectively brainwashed and submissive. To me that was the opposite of feminism and practically was mysoginy. I find some of the message from trans groups as damaging. But still agree with the protection of gender rights of transgender people. I try not to throw the baby out with the bath water.

IMO, transgender rights activists have focused on the wrong things. Transgender men and women have a whole host of issues unique to them and they need to acknowledge that. Only then can figure out what areas their rights are still lacking in.

Large tech companies should not hold the keys to public discourse and it's shocking to me that people who regard themselves as being on the left don't seem to have any issue with this. Or women being perpetually sent rape and death threats when they have he temerity to speak up about their concerns regarding the removal of their right to sex based protections.

Who should the provider of public discourse be?

Any person who sends death threats to women who publish concerns about removal of rights of sex based protection are scum. The perpretarors of such action are the antithesis of what equality debate should be about.

IMO, transgender rights activists have focused on the wrong things. Transgender men and women have a whole host of issues unique to them and they need to acknowledge that. Only then can figure out what areas their rights are still lacking in.

Sounds a bit like a group of men telling women what they really need ODB.

You know I respect your right to an opinion on this, but it seems likely trans people know more about they need than you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Large tech companies should not hold the keys to public discourse and it's shocking to me that people who regard themselves as being on the left
    An unholy alliance between big business and authoritarian progressivism.

This is gonna get a lot worse before it gets better.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

KiKi III wrote: »

You know I respect your right to an opinion on this, but it seems likely trans people know more about they need than you do.

Great if they could stop trying to force groups of other people to agree with them that d be awesome as well, if someone wants to go the scientific route about it and acknowledge a man pretending to be a woman and vice versa and call a spade a spade they shouldn't be demonized for telling the truth.

Obviously within context not going up and outright insulting people for the hell of it but if questioned in a debate manner you should be entitled to disagree with them, and not lose ur job or a massive witch hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But it's fascinating to see how many posters are suddenly medical experts in this one particular very narrow niche area, and not, just for example, the kind of stuff that goes on in cosmetic surgery clinics all over the country.

What is the obsession with genitals all about?

Should vulnerable children be protected or is it ok for them to be used in science / medical experiments under the guise of trans rights.

I know id rather children be protected and kept away from heavily biased quack's who seem to be hell bent on grooming them into believing that they are something which they are not

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But it's fascinating to see how many posters are suddenly medical experts in this one particular very narrow niche area, and not, just for example, the kind of stuff that goes on in cosmetic surgery clinics all over the country.

What is the obsession with genitals all about?

Should vulnerable children be protected or is it ok for them to be used in science / medical experiments under the guise of trans rights.

I know id rather children be protected and kept away from heavily biased quack's who seem to be hell bent on grooming them into believing that they are something which they are not

I’m confused in a number of ways here.

Transgender people include transgender men and transgender women. And I’m a woman. Could you clarify what you mean? Transgender women are different from women. Transgender men are different from men. Those differences bring up issues.

And, wow, that’s big of you to respect my right to an opinion. :rolleyes: Muchos magnanimous.

I’m confused in a number of ways here.

Transgender people include transgender men and transgender women. And I’m a woman. Could you clarify what you mean?

And, wow, that’s big of you to respect my right to an opinion. :rolleyes: Muchos magnanimous.

I mean trans people know more about the experience of being trans than someone who’s not trans.

No need for the sarcasm really.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Who should the provider of public discourse be?

Any person who sends death threats to women who publish concerns about removal of rights of sex based protection are scum. The perpretarors of such action are the antithesis of what equality debate should be about.

A public institution that is accountable to a government and a judicial system to ensure transparency. The right to express yourself is a constitutional right so the guardians of the constitution must be the ones to protect and control it, not Zuckerberg and his ilk.

Gatling wrote: »

Yes, when it comes to children and their rapidly developing bodies, erring on the side of caution is the ethical thing to do. I can think of situations where trying an untested drug on children is just about okay - for example, if a child is close to death from a disease. The benefits certainly outweighs the cost there. But with something like confusion over gender, it’s much less clear cut. But of course then you get the tacky weaponisation of suicide by activists.

Gatling wrote: »

I haven’t seen any poster advocate for the experimentation on children and individuals with an intellectual disability. In fact all have called it reprehensible. Anyone who publicly advocates for it is either twisted or morally defunct.

Statement from Graham Linehan (don't know if this was shared yet, but maybe should be pinned to the first post if not?) : https://glinner.co.uk/statement-from-graham-linehan/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Advertisement

I mean trans people know more about the experience of being trans than someone who’s not trans.

No need for the sarcasm really.

There’s always room for sarcasm.

I’m taking my information from transgender men and women who have acknowledged that their experience is fundamentally different from men or women. They tend to get called self-haters though. Which is nice.

Advertisement