Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graham Linehan banned from twitter for questioning "trans ideology"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Hard to take the research of someone running a secret Twitter account which makes nasty jokes about trans people seriously.

And this is what is wrong with ideologies.
    You repeat something because you were told to.
    You point a finger because that's what ideology demands you do.

The 'anonymous' :rolleyes: twitter account, oh look a website with contact details and everything.:eek:
    https://www.transgendertrend.com/

The study quoted - not a study of the 'anonymous, nasty' twitter account.

https://link.springer.com/epdf/10.1007/s10508-020-01764-1?sharing_token=VlaX9Hk16yDJtxcUYQT7PPe4RwlQNchNByi7wbcMAY7tJ6hsj2NP-qM6PdyC_kmHemmHOhWNMHmgZslXhX21lufWkKq5KnUPVP2pwA62t2iUB5_NzSUXhd6GFl_1aeDrXk7qjb2TuiVBJaUuaaiykDUecPmHAjOv9l18MbKQJhM%3D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Smith152 wrote: »

Who is absolving him of blame.

Most people have just pointed out that they agree with what he is saying.

it is his families fault according to, check notes, you
    If that is indeed true (and I suspect it isn't) then it reflects very badly on his family rather than on Linehan himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Well Im glad you agree with me that the so called Dutch method of affirmation was backed by a study that was far too small to draw proper conclusions.

Your point about transmen escapes me unfortunately. I see in the UK that Keira Bell is suing Tavistock for their hasty hormonal treatment of her. It is probably why the NHS is rather hastliy drawing up the bridges on treatment of children.

I meant transwomen. There are positive results for them. If you are.concerned about the negative results in the English study for transmen you must be relieved to see the positive results for transwomen right?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Smith152 wrote: »
    It is possible to believe that women are more at risk by not having women only spaces and yet at the same time acknowledge that not all men accused of rape are actually rapists.

That's the problem with the world these days everyone has to put into a neat little bracket and nuance when discussing topic doesn't seem to be allowed anymore.

I agree. To an extent - the claim that women are 'more at risk' from people who are trans than from people who are cis males is not one I find credible.

As a biological woman who has been in a great many women only spaces where there were trans women not once have I ever been 'threatened' or treated in any way that made me uncomfortable. I cannot say the same about spaces I have shared with cis men. Now that is anecdotal sure, but my experience of being a cis woman in women only spaces is a lot more extensive than Linehan's or, indeed, any of the other knights in shining armour claiming to want to 'protect' me and other women.

I am merely pointing out how many so many people who would respond to the first tweet the way I described would also respond to the second tweet the way I described so perhaps you should speak the them not me about nuance and little brackets.

You said it. :)

The burden of proof is a fundamental linchpin in a civilised democracy. It protects us all from chaos and wrongful accusation. I have huge sympathy for raped people. It is a vile crime next only to murder. Rape, like all crime, has a burden of proof requirement and #ibelieveher or chants like that are misguided.

Where is the proof that women are being targeted by trans women in women only spaces???

• Advertisement

what do you think twitter should do with a user that harassed an individual on twitter sufficient for them to be issued a police warning? is that hyperbole to you?

This is the UK you are talking about.
    The land of non-crime crimes.

Linehan and Hayden's anatgonism goes back to 2018 as far as I know.

I mentioned the hyperbolic use of 'hate' and 'violent' flung about with abandon today.
    I fully understand Twitter et al are private platforms.
    My belief is that the monopoly is a hugely unhealthy state of affairs.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    This is the UK you are talking about.
    The land of non-crime crimes.

Linehan and Hayden's anatgonism goes back to 2018 as far as I know.

I mentioned the hyperbolic use of 'hate' and 'violent' flung about with abandon today.
    I fully understand Twitter et al are private platforms.
    My belief is that the monopoly is a hugely unhealthy state of affairs.

i'll ask the question again. what do think twitter should do with users who consistently breaks their terms of service?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

here is one example that resulted in him receiving a police warning. i'm sure you can find many more.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2018/oct/07/graham-linehan-police-warning-complaint-by-stephanie-hayden-transgender-activist-twitter

To me that's the equivalent of the online gaming term swatting , get beaten in a game call the cops and tell them someone at a particular address has a gun and planning to shoot people ,

The police in the UK or here should not be getting involved in social media spats ,
    Unless there is an actual genuine threat they can act on not this they didn't use my pronoune go arrest them or I'll scream transpobic police

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Where is the proof that women are being targeted by trans women in women only spaces???

https://www.womenarehuman.com/category/crime/

An extensive record. Which you likely won't look at but maybe others will.

Studies find transwomen offend at the same rate as males and in similar areas. Transmen offend slightly differently to women and testosterone is one possible likely contributor.

It is a big area, eg the number of sex offenders among transwomen in UK prisons is very high. 0.9% of natal females in prison are sex offenders. For transwomen it is at the absolute minimum 4% and more likely closer to 40% according to stats publicly available. I dont have time to repeat what I have posted before many times.

Gatling wrote: »
    To me that's the equivalent of the online gaming term swatting , get beaten in a game call the cops and tell them someone at a particular address has a gun and planning to shoot people ,

sorry, you dont have an issue with swatting? something that has lead to at least one death that I am aware of.
    The police in the UK or here should not be getting involved in social media spats ,
    Unless there is an actual genuine threat they can act on not this they didn't use my pronoune go arrest them or I'll scream transpobic police

linehan harassed them. got his followers to do the same. But listen, i knew what your response was going to be. You had no interest in whether the allegations against linehan were true or not. If no examples had been provided then you would claim the moral high ground and claim it was an injustice against him. Any examples that were provided you were only going to dismiss as nothing to be concerned about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

You took it upon yourself to define what constitutes being a woman and now you are complaining that you were met with abuse?
    Mate, I'm a biological female and if you tweeted me with that crap you'd have been told where to shove it.

A woman is an adult human female. A male as such cannot be a women. It's very simple.

Oh dear. The WHOLE point is the small number in the Dutch study. Such a tiny number to base affirmation medicalisation on. And the WHOLE other point was that the natal females were worse off no matter what they did, pubertal blockers, cross sex hormones etc they still had all the issues they had before- just increased in severity. And the 96% is to show that the line given that pubertal blockers are a holding phase while the child figures out what they want is a mistruth since most go on...and suffer irregardless.

How do you feel about your frontal lobes LLMMLL? Are you glad they had a chance to properly develop in puberty and that your IQ did not take a hit? I sure am glad mine had the chance to mature.

That response to the study is a nice glimpse into the scientific illiteracy displayed by Trans-activists.

i'll ask the question again. what do think twitter should do with users who consistently breaks their terms of service?

Close their account.

However, there is no transparency particularly with a monopoly.

Is there something wrong with transparency?

Close their account.

However, there is no transparency particularly with a monopoly.

Is there something wrong with transparency?

what transparency do you require?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,010 ✭✭✭✭briany

Graham without Twitter must be feeling like Dougal without the aul' rollerblading, right about now.

And this is what is wrong with ideologies.
    You repeat something because you were told to.
    You point a finger because that's what ideology demands you do.

The 'anonymous' :rolleyes: twitter account, oh look a website with contact details and everything.:eek:
    https://www.transgendertrend.com/

The study quoted - not a study of the 'anonymous, nasty' twitter account.

https://link.springer.com/epdf/10.1007/s10508-020-01764-1?sharing_token=VlaX9Hk16yDJtxcUYQT7PPe4RwlQNchNByi7wbcMAY7tJ6hsj2NP-qM6PdyC_kmHemmHOhWNMHmgZslXhX21lufWkKq5KnUPVP2pwA62t2iUB5_NzSUXhd6GFl_1aeDrXk7qjb2TuiVBJaUuaaiykDUecPmHAjOv9l18MbKQJhM%3D

What are you talking about? The anonymous twitter account it's not that website. That website has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

I agree. To an extent - the claim that women are 'more at risk' from people who are trans than from people who are cis males is not one I find credible.

It is NOT a greater risk. It is the SAME. That is the whole point. I do not recall anyone saying there is a greater risk from men who idebtify as women than from.men There is the same because any man can identify as a woman now

It is why campaigns for toilets for females only take place all over the planet. It is why women got their own spaces in the first place. Safeguarding.

what transparency do you require?

The full reasons why accounts are closed - Twitter being a massive data collecting company, this shouldn't prove too onerous on them.

Offending consistent (that's what they say they base banning on) tweets and the specific terms they broke.

Laid out simply and coherently and transparently.
    I think that would benefit everyone that uses Twitter.

Bonus!

It would stop the many, many people repeating 'what they heard/interpreted' 'or what someone saw' as fact after the event which then veers into even more gossip column psychoanalysis twaddle.

The full reasons why accounts are closed - Twitter being a massive data collecting company, this shouldn't prove too onerous on them.

Offending consistent (that's what they say they base banning on) tweets and the specific terms they broke.

Laid out simply and coherently and transparently.
    I think that would benefit everyone that uses Twitter.

Bonus!

It would stop the many, many people repeating 'what they heard/interpreted' 'or what someone saw' as fact after the event which then veers into even more gossip column psychoanalysis twaddle.

he has a long history of breaking twitter rules. he knew what he was doing was breaking the rules but kept going anyway. the only issue i have with the suspension is that it took too long. If he wasnt somewhat famous with a blue tick he would have been banned long ago. if you have been paying attention all along his permanent suspension is perfectly valid and no surprise. If you havent then why do you suddenly care now?

What are you talking about? The anonymous twitter account it's not that website. That website has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.
    "Hard to take the research of someone running a secret Twitter account which makes nasty jokes about trans people seriously. "

Transgertrend is not a secret Twitter account. (the post to which you replied linked to their not secret Twitter account which linked to the study)

I then linked to their not secret website.

Why is it nasty?

• Advertisement

he has a long history of breaking twitter rules. he knew what he was doing was breaking the rules but kept going anyway. the only issue i have with the suspension is that it took too long. If he wasnt somewhat famous with a blue tick he would have been banned long ago. if you have been paying attention all along his permanent suspension is perfectly valid and no surprise. If you havent then why do you suddenly care now?

Can you maybe address my answer to your question?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

i knew what your response was going to be. You had no interest in whether the allegations against linehan were true or not.

All i read was one article over a Twitter spat

Seems to be a case of not being allowed to challenge beliefs

All i read was one article over a Twitter spat

Seems to be a case of not being allowed to challenge beliefs

you could have at least bothered to read the article before commenting. he wasnt banned for his beliefs. he was banned for making it very personal with people he disagreed with. in other words he was a hate-filled **** and good riddance to him. he is now on Parler apparently so he should fit in well with the mob over there.

https://www.womenarehuman.com/category/crime/

An extensive record. Which you likely won't look at but maybe others will.

Studies find transwomen offend at the same rate as males and in similar areas. Transmen offend slightly differently to women and testosterone is one possible likely contributor.

It is a big area, eg the number of sex offenders among transwomen in UK prisons is very high. 0.9% of natal females in prison are sex offenders. For transwomen it is at the absolute minimum 4% and more likely closer to 40% according to stats publicly available. I dont have time to repeat what I have posted before many times.

I'm going to need a source a bit better than one with an obvious agenda tbh - not to mention how many are defined as 'cross dressers' -That is saying that every man who pulls on a frock is in fact trans, that is not so.
    Additionally defining prisons as the 'women only spaces' is disingenious to be charitable about it.

Sexual assault is such an issue in prisons it has it's own wikipedia page just for the US https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prison_rape_in_the_United_States.
    Among the horrors listed are
    According to one source, female-perpetrated sexual abuse of inmates is a particularly large problem in juvenile detention centers, where 90% of victims of staff abuse say a female correctional officer was the perpetrator.

According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, around 80,000 women and men a year get sexually abused in American correctional facilities.

What you have used as 'proof' is the equivalent of sharing a radical feminist site outlining attacks on women by cis men and then extrapolating from that that 'all men are rapists'.

"Hard to take the research of someone running a secret Twitter account which makes nasty jokes about trans people seriously. "

Transgertrend is not a secret Twitter account. (the post to which you replied linked to their not secret Twitter account which linked to the study)

I then linked to their not secret website.

Why is it nasty?

Google the author of the study. I am not referring to transgender trend website or Twitter account.

A woman is an adult human female. A male as such cannot be a women. It's very simple.

In your opinion.

Can you maybe address my answer to your question?

why dont you contact twitter and ask them why they dont? i dont see the need myself. I find following the "dont be a dick" rule to be sufficient to avoid trouble.

In your opinion.

No, it is not opinion. It is a biological fact. It is a definition with a scientific underpinning, 'female':
    a person bearing two X chromosomes in the cell nuclei and normally having a vagina, a uterus and ovaries, and developing at puberty a relatively rounded body and enlarged breasts, and retaining a beardless face; a girl or woman.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/female

No, it is not opinion. It is a biological fact. It is a definition with a scientific underpinning, 'female':

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/female

the word female is used outside that definition all the time.

• Advertisement

the word female is used outside that definition all the time.

I'm not dealing with your ultra deconstructionist 'tables of exemplars' rubbish again. We are discussing humans, unless you think trans-people aren't human?

Advertisement